Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376929 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1755 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:28 pm »

anyway, what do you think about dropping the jungle and massing on the plains? it is not like the jungle is worth anything anymore, there is barely any tree.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:46 pm »

Bad, bad idea.

Unless you get GM confirmation that it'll have no bonus, I assume it will have one. On the plains, Moskurg has naval superiority, something which will frustrate us to no end, so it'll be even harder than in the Jungle.

I do want to attack the plains though, to take the enemy bonus away temporally.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:16:33 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 01, 2017, 05:15:57 pm »

More powerfull Frost tower is a bad idea as long as it's nat effort. We want recapture the mountains, hence more, not better towers are needed.
Yeah, I suppose the mountains are cold enough that even our current frost tower will kill them.

1 - Assembly Line Cannons (cheaper HCx-E's): Chiefwaffles
1 - Statemagically Argumented Cannon Production: Light forger, Andrea
2 - Simplified frost tower: 10ebbor10, Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 01, 2017, 05:30:39 pm »

1 - Statemagically Argumented Cannon Production: Light forger
3 - Simplified frost tower: 10ebbor10, Andres, Andrea

Changing vote. lets see what the weather brings.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 01, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »

I swear to god, if they somehow got their ballistae to be  even better...

And Evicted, can the SBP1-A's provide artillery support on the shore? Is it default or do we need to explicitly order them to? Also, if we lower the HC1-E's expense, can we fit >1 on them on Fog-O-Wars (and older boats) and/or will that allow us to field more SBP1-A's this upcoming combat phase?

Regarding the plains, I definitely think we should attack it. Force them to divide their attention, remove their bonus, and more. We just need enough a force to hold at least 1 section of it.
Orders
1 - Attack plains w/ primarily cavalry

Revisions

Future designs & revisions: (Descriptions are a bit simplified - if we actually submit them we can think of better descriptions then)
Revision: SE1-L "Unyielding"
The Steam Engine 1 - Light "Unyielding" is a basic improvement over the current steam engine. More efficient use of lighter metals allow for us to keep the rest of the design the same while drastically improving its weight, and to a lesser degree, size. In addition to being a step towards further miniaturization for the steam engine, this provides a huge improvement for the Fog-O-War.
Fog-O-Wars would be equipped with these new engines as part of the revision, and hopefully could either improve maneuverability and/or fit more cannons.

Design: SE2 "Loadbearer"
The SE2 is simply a suite of improvements over the current steam engine. It's lighter, cheaper, and more powerful. It doesn't innovate in any groundbreaking areas, but instead it works. Only one of these would need to be fitted onto a SBP1-A and would allow for greatly increased power at a much lower weight, meaning the SBP1-A's speed is increased, its maneuverability is increased, and if needed other things can now be added to the SBP1-A such as more cannons.

Design: SBP2-A "[Name TBD]"
Self-explanatory. Maneuverability, more cannons, speed, etc.
Personally I think the SE2/SE1-L would be better options to fix our problems with the SBP1-A over this for the time being.

EDIT: Oh yeah.
Please.
Please.
We need to set aside all other things and counter Lucky Strike. It is the source of our problems. I don't even think stop-gap measures like Crystal Canopy would work - we need an actual design countering Lucky Strike. We should even use our revision on it too. Their ballistae are so accurate because of lucky strike. The firebombs are affecting us the way they are because of lucky strike. Their archers are still effective because of Lucky Strike. And think of it - they've been relying this whole time on Lucky Strike like a crutch. If we suddenly knock it out we should gain a significant advantage and cripple them for a bit in the process.
We NEED to counter Lucky Strike.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:35:55 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 01, 2017, 05:40:11 pm »

I would like some version of the Ray of Frost as a revision. Basically modifying our existing tower of frost into a directed beam instead of an area of effect. Depending on the range and power, may be extremely useful. Although, as I'm writing this I'm beginning to think that that may be a design sort of thing.

So instead, here is my totally out-there proposition to bug the enemy mages.

Revision: Antimagic Wasps
Using our knowledge of antimagic, wasp summoning, and splicing magic (Which we need to pursue someday. Enhanced animal senses to dodge luckystrike arrows anyone?), we manage to create a species of wasps that are immune to magic. The trick is that they have tiny anti-magic crystal dust (the good kind we use in our charms, not the explosive kind) in their venom instead of normal or fire venom. This makes each wasp highly resistant to magic. Furthermore, their sting injects the antimagic venom into the enemy. This, depending on the dosage, mildly impedes the ability to cast spells and diminishes the effects of lucky strike and other enchantments on the sting victim.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:41 pm »

You know what? I like that one. I'm switching my vote for it. Maybe we can even get an expense credit and use it on our cannons.

I'll also remove my Assembly Line thing because it is a duplicate of Light forger's. Stupid ninjas. I am also assuming that Roboson is voting for it as well. Please fix it if I'm wrong.
Orders
1 - Attack plains w/ primarily cavalry: Chiefwaffles

Revisions
2 - Antimagic Wasps: Roboson, Chiefwaffles

EDIT: Another idea for after Lucky Strike is countered:
Design: HC3
The HC2 was a failed design. There's no use salvaging it. Instead, let's look to the future with the HC3. It incorporates all the improvements of the HC2, the lessons of the SBP1-A, and the advantages of the HCx-E into one convenient package.
Compared to our HC1-E, it's much more reliable, has a higher rate of fire, is Expensive, is accurate, and has Extreme-range.

Though all the HC3 stuff so far is very simple - all this stuff is stuff we've done before, just basically in one package and re-rolling but with advantages. I'd say we should include some further improvements before submitting the HC3 if we ever do this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:48:00 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 01, 2017, 05:45:33 pm »

Won't the anti-magic wasps be blown away by the wind Moskurg summons?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 01, 2017, 05:47:08 pm »

Now, the question is: will they(the wasps) survive an anti-magic staff field? If yes, then I might put my vote on it.
~~~
We have lots of expensive stuff. Now let's get some cheap stuff. Or get some expensive stuff that covers huge areas like our Frost Tower. Well, after we counter lucky strike.

Hm.

Future(the only stuff for this year is in the quote box) design ideas:

Crystal Lenses: Using crystal, we can eliminate the threat of being shot in the eye. Probably better ideas than this, though.

Antimagic Shells: This crystal shell, once it gets to above the enemy, explodes into a bunch of magic-absorbing crystals which will promptly be scattered around the Moskurgians, preventing them from using magic, most notably their bloody luck spell. Won't protect them from much of our magic, too. Given our main attack spell which is a fireball that can't be cast in an anti-magic field but passes through it fine... yeah. Bonus if the absorbed magic eventually turns into explosions. This is a much better idea.
~~~
Ninja:
That too. Though the wasps might absorb the wind magic.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »

Again, if anyone submits a revision that counters Lucky Strike to any degree, I'll happily vote for it.

Actually, I have an idea for a new antimagic shell type similar to what Fallacy briefly described. I would write it up, but I won't be able to use my computer for a bit so it'd take a while. Evicted, mind at all not doing the revise update for ~3-4 hours? If you weren't already planning that, great. Otherwise, it's still not a huge deal since it's just one revision submission.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 01, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »

Revisions
2 - Antimagic Wasps: Roboson, Chiefwaffles
4 - Simplified frost tower: 10ebbor10, Andres, Andrea, RAM
0-Civil mages:
0-Persistent Flames:

Can we please not remove suggestions? I know someone proposed the silliness of not adding suggestions which lack votes, but I don't really need to point out the problems with that do I? I voluntarily limited myself to just the two proposals. If you really want to fix the voting than we could implement a preferential system, but I can't see everyone going along with that...

If the jungle is dead(We did lower the frost-tower's power, but I guess the artillery made up the difference...) then it should be colder. Jungles are warm at least in part because of there being a jungle. I wouldn't have a clue as to the specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised at a 10 degree drop and would believe a 20 degree(celcius) drop if it happened...

I do not think that an assembly line would work. We do not have the equipment to have low-skilled operators. Steam could do it but that would be very technical. We could do an assembly line with skilled labour, but that would reduce their morale. There is only so long that you can spend adding the same bend to an endless series of pipes and stay sane... Also, there may be issues with material transference between operators.

I kind of thought that our frost tower was already below national effort...

I actually really like the standardised construction proposal, but I think that we could do the same thing with summoned crystals, assuming that the magic works consistently each time it should produce very similar results, along with faster production due to the easier production and removal of moulds...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:58:37 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 01, 2017, 06:06:46 pm »

In order to reduce complexity and figure out what just this next revision will be, why doesn't everyone propose just one thing and vote once?
~~~
If the jungle is dead(We did lower the frost-tower's power, but I guess the artillery made up the difference...) then it should be colder. Jungles are warm at least in part because of there being a jungle. I wouldn't have a clue as to the specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised at a 10 degree drop and would believe a 20 degree(celcius) drop if it happened...
How would a jungle make things hotter? I'm not seeing it. It's more the climate of the area...

I do not think that an assembly line would work. We do not have the equipment to have low-skilled operators. Steam could do it but that would be very technical. We could do an assembly line with skilled labour, but that would reduce their morale. There is only so long that you can spend adding the same bend to an endless series of pipes and stay sane... Also, there may be issues with material transference between operators.
Agreed. Now, a magical assembly line... as in, an automated one... hm. Automation. Can we do that? Create magical factories?

I kind of thought that our frost tower was already below national effort...
Sadly, we can't use more than one of it(plus we need Myark to operate it), so it's a national effort. On the plus side, dropping the cost of it will free up Myark to fight on the front lines(or the back lines), which is good.

I actually really like the standardised construction proposal, but I think that we could do the same thing with summoned crystals, assuming that the magic works consistently each time it should produce very similar results, along with faster production due to the easier production and removal of moulds...
A magical factory thing, like a conveyor belt that applies a certain construction spell whenever something passes over it... hm.
~~~
This may be a stupid idea, but can we learn how to conjure uranium?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:09:47 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:23 pm »

Evicted, can the SBP1-A's provide artillery support on the shore? Is it default or do we need to explicitly order them to? Also, if we lower the HC1-E's expense, can we fit >1 on them on Fog-O-Wars (and older boats) and/or will that allow us to field more SBP1-A's this upcoming combat phase?

The same with landing behind the enemy; you must hold the ocean before you can use it for troop deployment or artillery bombardment. 

Your SPB's are already loaded beyond the recommended weight limit.  Another cannon and the boat will be unable to displace enough water to float - an overhaul of the ship's design is required. 

As for your regular boats, lowering the expense would allow you to load more cannons aboard - not many, but a few.

As for the jungle, most of the undergrowth that hasn't been attended to by your Dogwoods has died out, resulting in clearer ground.  Your brambles and vines and thornbushes are enough to make their formation bonus about half of what it could be.  The useful wood is in the giant trees that tower over everyone and everything else; these trees still exist, although they're not looking too great.

Automation.
Automagicion.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 01, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »

Crystal Replacement Parts for SBP1-A : Intake pipes, cooling pipes and even the rudders are summoned with crystal formulas to both reduced the metal cost and weight of the ship.

We don't need to make the whole ship out of crystal, just the metal parts.  We could eventually plate the thing with crystal shield armor before battle.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 01, 2017, 06:20:50 pm »

Nope, they're filled with antimagic charms making them resistant to the wind magic.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 301