Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376963 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1920 on: May 04, 2017, 02:46:33 am »

They are now controlling the wind to push their projectiles further.  Its the same thing again that lets them move faster ships while blocking our air based spells and aim their own stuff at the same time.  Just stronger and more focused I guess?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 04, 2017, 02:47:10 am »

Design: Wooden planks.
We use the wondrous technology 'slab of wood'(tm) to spate our cannons and towers and provide cover for their attendants and may even have some spares to fortify our more important encampments... Wizards should not be required to expose themselves at all, as they are basically causing the things to operate, rather than aiming them... Oh, but, bother oh bother, wood burns, doesn't it?
Hrmmm, what to do, what to do... If only we had some sort of wood, that didn't burn... Well, crystals don't burn, and we can mess around with trees a bit, and we know all about crystals so... Let's try to build a tree with wood that is like our crystals!
Time passes...
Oh, wonderful, you made trees that EXPLODE!!! So they take more energy to grow and when fire hits them there is an explosion, that is just wonderful...
Huh, you know, this explosion is pretty small, it is not like the whole thing explodes, just the bit that would be burned... It actually pushes the fire away... I think this might actually work!

The new Crystalwood tree contains complex cell-walls that are formed partially from crystals. This makes them a little more brittle, considerably harder, and also turns them into reactive armour due to the higher energy-density of crystalline forms.

Living Crystal Charms
While referred to, and appearing as, charms, this is not actually derived from antimagic charms.
 By imbuing the "spark of life" found in our conjured fire-wasps instead into a crystal we have granted the crystal the ability to react to stimuli.
 By combining it with a gem(A ruby, ideally, over the heart, though other red gems also work if you don't mind a risk of cracking under stress.), mages are able to recharge it, and imbue it with reserve energy.
 By imbuing it with a variant of channelled fog, it can continuously resummon an extremely fine, effectively invisible, cloud of minute crystal particles. These particles only last a moment before fading and being resummoned, as any more would have an immense magic cost, but it can transmit its "will" through this cloud and sense any movement or magic within the cloud.
 Being crystalline in nature, the charm's "life" is only partially physical, as it lacks the moving parts required for conventional life, it needed to be a living entity that exists partially as a "pure" expression of magic. This grants it some measure of magical awareness that can be matched only by the most sophisticated of our gem arrays back at the lab, and can thus react to them much faster than anything we could hope to match using current techniques.
 Finally, the crystal charm effectively exists in two forms. The first form, is an unassuming necklace with a crystal growth around a red gem. The second form is that of a crystal shell, of a thinckness that defaults to five centimetres, that completely coats the wearer while perfectly contouring to their body, actually suspending their clothing and equipment within its structure to completely encase the subject. We had some, unfortunate incidents... with the prototype, but have included strict protocols to prevent it lasting more than 20 seconds in this latter form.

The basic functionality is to encase the wearer in a nearly invulnerable shell of crystal as soon as imminent injury to the wearer is detected. We have done what we could to keep our first experience in living crystals from being too eagre or shy in this duty, but... well, we are hopeful that it will properly defend against anything lethal or crippling and disable itself promptly to conserve power when the threat has passed.
The advanced functionality is to have the charm respond dynamically to threats. A single centimetre of crystal shell is far more than enough to deflect any arrow, but we worry that the enemy could expand their project and something even greater than the absurd five-centimetres projected for the production model would stop, and we have not tested it against a point-blank fireball or cannon round... So we hope that it will use its "mind" to determine what is required and protect accordingly, but should stick to the default if it doesn't know.
The metamagic effect is that it is a wilful being with a significant awareness of magic and a reserve of magical power, it can "fight" magical attacks to its own being, and in doing so, defeat the enemy effects to disable its magic. We have tried training them against antimagic charms, which obviously do not dispel the crystal construct but have been noted to often "blind" them and inhibit their transition into a shell. We don't know how similar this is to enemy antimagic, but we hop to question some of these magical beings after they have had first-hand experience of the enemy's effect, assuming that they survive or can be regenerated from the original gem after being dissipated... This is all conjecture, but the "living spell" project has shown great promise as a theory of countering the enemy antispellcraft.

The projected performance is to persist 20 seconds of shell form or two hours in charm form. Or 10 seconds in shell form AND 1 hour in charm form. Or some other combination following that ratio. On a wizard the power can be restored with focus and will, allowing it to remain indefinitely so long as the wizard takes regular breaks from their other duties...

And thus we have something that will make our wizards extremely uncomfortable in order to make them continue living. It isn't anchored though, and crystals are light, so it is less likely to break than a steel fortress of the same thickness, but a particularly forceful blow could injure or kill them by accelerating them quickly... Also, lightning is fast, so it may not stop lightning until it learns what the buildup of charge means, so people should be encouraged to loot these from the dead, as they can learn and the same thing ought not to work "lightning doesn't strike twice"...

Designs
2 - HA1 "Onslaught": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist
1 - SO1-AM "Equalizer": Chiefwaffles
1 - Freeze Wands: RAM
1 - Flash Cast Crystals: FallacyofUrist
0 - Supreme Predictive Algorithms Machine:
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Living Crystal Charms:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:07 am »

We use the wondrous technology 'slab of wood'(tm) to spate our cannons and towers and provide cover for their attendants and may even have some spares to fortify our more important encampments... Wizards should not be required to expose themselves at all, as they are basically causing the things to operate, rather than aiming them... Oh, but, bother oh bother, wood burns, doesn't it?
Hrmmm, what to do, what to do... If only we had some sort of wood, that didn't burn... Well, crystals don't burn, and we can mess around with trees a bit, and we know all about crystals so... Let's try to build a tree with wood that is like our crystals!
Time passes...
Oh, wonderful, you made trees that EXPLODE!!! So they take more energy to grow and when fire hits them there is an explosion, that is just wonderful...
Huh, you know, this explosion is pretty small, it is not like the whole thing explodes, just the bit that would be burned... It actually pushes the fire away... I think this might actually work!

The new Crystalwood tree contains complex cell-walls that are formed partially from crystals. This makes them a little more brittle, considerably harder, and also turns them into reactive armour due to the higher energy-density of crystalline forms.

Living Crystal Charms
While referred to, and appearing as, charms, this is not actually derived from antimagic charms.
 By imbuing the "spark of life" found in our conjured fire-wasps instead into a crystal we have granted the crystal the ability to react to stimuli.
 By combining it with a gem(A ruby, ideally, over the heart, though other red gems also work if you don't mind a risk of cracking under stress.), mages are able to recharge it, and imbue it with reserve energy.
 By imbuing it with a variant of channelled fog, it can continuously resummon an extremely fine, effectively invisible, cloud of minute crystal particles. These particles only last a moment before fading and being resummoned, as any more would have an immense magic cost, but it can transmit its "will" through this cloud and sense any movement or magic within the cloud.
 Being crystalline in nature, the charm's "life" is only partially physical, as it lacks the moving parts required for conventional life, it needed to be a living entity that exists partially as a "pure" expression of magic. This grants it some measure of magical awareness that can be matched only by the most sophisticated of our gem arrays back at the lab, and can thus react to them much faster than anything we could hope to match using current techniques.
 Finally, the crystal charm effectively exists in two forms. The first form, is an unassuming necklace with a crystal growth around a red gem. The second form is that of a crystal shell, of a thinckness that defaults to five centimetres, that completely coats the wearer while perfectly contouring to their body, actually suspending their clothing and equipment within its structure to completely encase the subject. We had some, unfortunate incidents... with the prototype, but have included strict protocols to prevent it lasting more than 20 seconds in this latter form.

The basic functionality is to encase the wearer in a nearly invulnerable shell of crystal as soon as imminent injury to the wearer is detected. We have done what we could to keep our first experience in living crystals from being too eagre or shy in this duty, but... well, we are hopeful that it will properly defend against anything lethal or crippling and disable itself promptly to conserve power when the threat has passed.
The advanced functionality is to have the charm respond dynamically to threats. A single centimetre of crystal shell is far more than enough to deflect any arrow, but we worry that the enemy could expand their project and something even greater than the absurd five-centimetres projected for the production model would stop, and we have not tested it against a point-blank fireball or cannon round... So we hope that it will use its "mind" to determine what is required and protect accordingly, but should stick to the default if it doesn't know.
The metamagic effect is that it is a wilful being with a significant awareness of magic and a reserve of magical power, it can "fight" magical attacks to its own being, and in doing so, defeat the enemy effects to disable its magic. We have tried training them against antimagic charms, which obviously do not dispel the crystal construct but have been noted to often "blind" them and inhibit their transition into a shell. We don't know how similar this is to enemy antimagic, but we hop to question some of these magical beings after they have had first-hand experience of the enemy's effect, assuming that they survive or can be regenerated from the original gem after being dissipated... This is all conjecture, but the "living spell" project has shown great promise as a theory of countering the enemy antispellcraft.

The projected performance is to persist 20 seconds of shell form or two hours in charm form. Or 10 seconds in shell form AND 1 hour in charm form. Or some other combination following that ratio. On a wizard the power can be restored with focus and will, allowing it to remain indefinitely so long as the wizard takes regular breaks from their other duties...

And thus we have something that will make our wizards extremely uncomfortable in order to make them continue living. It isn't anchored though, and crystals are light, so it is less likely to break than a steel fortress of the same thickness, but a particularly forceful blow could injure or kill them by accelerating them quickly... Also, lightning is fast, so it may not stop lightning until it learns what the buildup of charge means, so people should be encouraged to loot these from the dead, as they can learn and the same thing ought not to work "lightning doesn't strike twice"...

Designs
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:

The have fire.

Fire beats Wood.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 04, 2017, 02:54:27 am »

Designs
1 - FA1 "Metal Storm" : 10ebbor10
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:

I think lucky strike is a bigger problem than fire. It's why they're so accurate with the fire shots and everything else. Anti-magic shells could significantly help counter it.

Anti-magic shells would render their entire force useless, I think. Ballistae loose range and accuracy, ships loose propulsion,...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 04, 2017, 02:54:57 am »

you missed my divination jammer proposal. it was serious.

I might vote for the antimagic shell, although still unsure. Do we have any information if they can now cast within their own antimagic field? if we force them to up their antimagic everywhere, we might negate their magic entirely.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 04, 2017, 02:57:46 am »

Apparently I can still play this round. Exciting, but still hoping for a side-quest maybe, hopefully. Idk.

I really want to get an anti-divination jammer going on this turn. I don't care how, but its beyond necessary. For far to long the enemy has had inexplicable and uncounterable magic, its time to hit it at the source. Chief put out a really decent write-up for one a ways back, and I think its probably our best bet at forcing them to stop ripping off our "kill them with fire" thing. WE are the original "kill them with fire" nation and we need to show them that if they mess with our stuff, we'll mess with theirs.

Gentlemen (and ladies if there are any here), we are in an arms race. Not only that, but we're in an arms race within that arms race. This extremely long range arms race must end. We must stop their lucky strike and detect ambush spells. The enemy has gotten fat and complacent on their original spells. Never once have we ambushed them in the depths of the jungle. Never once have their arrows and their ballistas failed to hit their marks. Never once have they had to fear, had to doubt. They know where we are and they know how to hit us. We have to stop this. Its as simple as that.

So here is my version of the anti-divination shell largely based on CheifWaffle's design.

Heretic Shells
Spoiler: Heretic Shells Fluff (click to show/hide)

Heretic shells are new more durable artillery ammunition outfitted with an anti-divination crystal array composed of two interlocking crystals. The first crystal is very similar to our magic charms in that it absorbs nearby magic. It is much more durable than our previous iterations, allowing it to absorb more magic without overheating or exploding, partially due to the second crystal. The second crystal acts as a pressure valve, constantly releasing a steady field of anti-divination magic. As there is no physical effect, such as fire or wind, or ice, sustaining this field takes very little energy. As a result, the shells, which are charged by our atheists mages can produce a very large field for a very long time, which may possibly be increased by the level of magic in the area around the shell. This anti-divination field prevents the casting of any divination school spells. Side effects may include: a crisis of faith, fear, religious doubt, regular doubt, pants wetting, headache, and cowardice.

Wow, 10 11 12 new posts since I started writing...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:05:58 am by Roboson »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:30 am »

I might vote for the antimagic shell, although still unsure. Do we have any information if they can now cast within their own antimagic field? if we force them to up their antimagic everywhere, we might negate their magic entirely.

We have never seen them do it, but most of their spells aren't exactly visible.

On the other hand, they have anti-arrow spells, which I think we would have noticed.

So maybe they do, maybe they don't.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 04, 2017, 03:17:16 am »

Argh, So sorry, I hate it when my designs are omitted!

The have fire.

Fire beats Wood.
If you look closely, this is reactive armour. The wood does not burn, it explodes. It explodes, but only the parts which would be contact-burned anyway, and they repel further burning. Some things are basically impossible to burn, this would be one of them, it is just impossible to get a self-sustaining combustion reaction going in it. Fire beats anything if you have enough of it, but I would like some revenge for their electricity beating our faraday cages, and using wood to defeat their fire seems like just the ticket. And it is advancing our plant-magic while drawing on our crystal experience. It'd give us something to plant in orchards at the home-front and better trees to grow around our long-term camps. But being high0energy I imagine they require more energy to grow than conventional trees...

Designs
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
0 - Flameshrieker Shells:
0 - divination jammer:
0 - Heretic Shells:
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 04, 2017, 03:22:25 am »

Gonna +1 Heretic shells. Though Roboson, mind including the delivery method of the shells in the design? I'm assuming they're using using the same method of the SO1-AD variant - hitting the ground and remaining intact, causing it to be (half-)buried while doing its job.

I think the HA1 Onslaught (or Metal Storm) is the second-best choice. If we don't do it this phase we should do it next. ALSO, I think capturing the seas is a huge priority.

I'll post my thoughts regarding revisions when the time comes. Essentially, while it'd be nice, I think we shouldn't necessarily reduce the expense of the HC1-E's as that's covered by my and Ebbor's artillery designs. It could help since it'd make the expense portion of the designs easier, but ehh. Meanwhile, were close to bday losing at sea so we should focus there in revisions.

And yes, I haven't removed my HA1 vote. If it's a tie between the HA1 and Heretic shell, remove my vote for the HA1.
I'm also assuming Void's voting for Heretic shells.

Designs
2 - Heretic shell: VoidSlayer, Chiefwaffles
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
0 - Divination Jammer:
Also we should still include "SO1-AD" as a prefix to the Heretic shell's main name.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:30:24 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 04, 2017, 03:29:04 am »

Gonna +1 Heretic shells. Though Void, mind including the delivery method of the shells in the design? I'm assuming they're using using the same method of the SO1-AD variant - hitting the ground and remaining intact, causing it to be (half-)buried while doing its job.

I think the HA1 Onslaught (or Metal Storm) is the second-best choice. If we don't do it this phase we should do it next. ALSO, I think capturing the seas is a huge priority.

I'll post my thoughts regarding revisions when the time comes. Essentially, while it'd be nice, I think we shouldn't necessarily reduce the expense of the HC1-E's as that's covered by my and Ebbor's artillery designs. It could help since it'd make the expense portion of the designs easier, but ehh. Meanwhile, were close to bday losing at sea so we should focus there in revisions.

And yes, I haven't removed my HA1 vote. If it's a tie between the HA1 and Heretic shell, remove my vote for the HA1.
I'm also assuming Void's voting for Heretic shells.

Designs
2 - Heretic shell: VoidSlayer, Chiefwaffles
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
0 - Divination Jammer:
Also we should still include "SO1-AD" as a prefix to the Heretic shell's main name.

Uhhhh, the shells are not my design?  I designed freeze wands.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: May 04, 2017, 03:30:51 am »

Yeaaah. I somehow used your name instead of Roboson's. It's fixed now.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 04, 2017, 03:33:37 am »

WHat is the point of a shell which disrupt only casting of divination? we have crystals which stop ALL castings. I don't see how a more restricted version would be more effective?
If we want to go specific against divination, I think a better idea would be to protect the end point of the spell, or using the already existing stuff to block the casting point.
Also, I'll point out again that divination magic is not the same as divine magic. ( this was just for the "gods what have we done" part of the backstory)

I would rather vote for a standard antimagic shell than an antimagic shell which only targets a specific school of magic.Besides, if they now use spells to augment ballistas, we can disrupt that as well.

Designs
2 - Heretic shell: Robson, Chiefwaffles
2 - SO1-AM "Equalizer": Chiefwaffles, Andrea
1 - Divination Jammer: Andrea
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 04, 2017, 03:37:59 am »

WHat is the point of a shell which disrupt only casting of divination? we have crystals which stop ALL castings.

You can't shoot spells that stop all casting, because our cannons are magic.

But yeah, a general anti magic shell would be nice.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 04, 2017, 03:45:39 am »

that is an extreeemly good point.
Although we really really need to write in an exception/backdoor to our antimagic.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 04, 2017, 03:57:38 am »

Well I used up my two suggestions, but I did do up an antimagic shell some time ago...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and as much as I would love to upgrade our cavalry, the plains seems to only be important to the extent that it makes their invasion difficult. So long as we press in the seas it shouldn't be important... So it is really nice that the enemy get to do a cavalry revision to beat us there if they want, but I don't think that it is important, and hope that breaking their hold on the sea will allow use to hold the line...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:05:04 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 301