Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377054 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2355 on: May 16, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »

Vertical Forever Frost Umm, we are supposed to do 'names' right? Ehh, "Tall God of the Icy Gales!" woo, rah oogidy boogidy...
Make the frost towers frost-effect pillar-shaped to get convection working for us. Should be especially effective at pushing cold into warm, because that is what happens when you have temperature differences. Basically just makes strong winds emenate from our frost towers. We got the idea when we noticed between all our experiemnts with fire walls, frost towers, and steam engines, that cold air moves down, and the further it moves, the more force it moves with...

2 - Flare: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist
1 - Cheapr MFTs: Andres:
0 - Vertical Forever Frost:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »

What about revising the falcons so we can mind control wild ones.  That should reduce the expense, maybe.

Edit: Oh wait no, what I wanted in the first place.

Timed fireballs: The fireballs explode at a fixed time decided by the mage during casting.  This allows them to be shot upwards without falling down and killing our troops.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:13:04 pm by VoidSlayer »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:16 pm »

You removed Roboson's vote, RAM.

Votes
3 - Flare: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, Roboson
1 - Cheaper MFTs: Andres
0 - Vertical Forever Frost:

I'm not too sure about revising the Falcons, really. So far it sounds like they'll be effective at their jobs and I'd rather wait a bit and focus on more important things for now.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:51 pm »

At the very least we will surprise them.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 16, 2017, 10:41:54 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do each of the the rolls mean? I've only really played the intercontinental arms race with sensei, and it only uses 1 roll.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 16, 2017, 10:42:55 pm »

Roll 1 is effectiveness, Roll 2 is expense, and roll 3 is bugs.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:56 pm »

Roll 1 is effectiveness, Roll 2 is expense, and roll 3 is bugs.

See, we should have been going for insects all along.  Inherent bonus!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »

Oh yeah, by the way:
If we ever want to improve Falcons/air in general, we should probably spend a design on it. Possibilities:

1.) Giant Eagle: Bomber/heavy weapons. Eagles are already very big and we can use our experience here to actually get it working. FLYING CANNONS. Or at least like ~2 archers.
2.) War Falcons: Faster, a bit bigger, more deadly (CRYSTAL/STEEL-TIPPED CLAWS), cheaper, and more independent.
3.) Magic Falcons: Let's make some fireball-throwing Falcons. Maybe just design Magegems then do this with that?

EDIT: Evicted, would you mind naming the falcons "Hunter Falcons"? Given the result of the design, I think that name fits a bit more than giant falcon.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:04:06 am by Chiefwaffles »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:55 pm »

Plus giant eagles have the uncanny ability to always be there just as they are needed.

If we do war falcons though, how about anti magic typed claws?

But for now we have super accurate air defense, and messengers. Which is pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:27:40 pm by helmacon »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 17, 2017, 01:33:16 am »

Evicted, what limits our HA1's to extreme range again?
The combat phase report states this:
Their ballistas are still uncannily accurate, but we now have HC1-E’s as our main artillery force.  The small cannons aren’t as accurate and they don’t have fire-shells like Moskurg, but they fire much more quickly.  Plus, we still have our HA1’s, which have a much larger caliber.  We don’t have time to disassemble the HA1’s and reassemble them further back, so they’re stuck at Extreme Range with the rest of the artillery.  Their large size makes them an immediate target and they are destroyed one-by-one, but they do manage to take a couple ballistas with them.
So from what it sounds like, our HA1's fire at extra-LOS range at first, but as our battle lines get pushed back, we can't withdraw the HA1's fast enough and they therefore get pushed into just Extreme range? Am I right in my assumption?

I also have my question I edited in two posts ago:
EDIT: Evicted, would you mind naming the falcons "Hunter Falcons"? Given the result of the design, I think that name fits a bit more than giant falcon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:09 am »

If we had vultures instead, we could revise them to circle the enemy positions, while remaining too high to attack with anything but lightining, and usiing lightning against something over your head is, well, Fun, but falcons have, like, zero altitude...

We could try to mutate the falcons to drop fire-wasp venom...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 17, 2017, 02:56:13 am »

I was thinking, since our plant magic got buffed we are almost obligated to use it.

If instead of growing it all at once, we could store that energy in the seed...
There are so many possibilities with that.
We could have falcons drop seeds over the enemy camps that grow into all kinds of nasty things in minuets.
Or
We could use magic bearing seeds as an alternative to Crystal magic storage.
Or
We could make reactive self healing armor. Plant plate.
Or
We could use magic altered plants as static defenses. So long as the magic is used to alter the creature, and not actually sustained it would be immune to anti magic.
Or
Ivy-clads. You can't sink the ship if the hole seals itself back up.
Or
Root traps. Generic trope root attacks for an ambush.
Or
Magic eating moss/grass. Anti magic in an autonomous plant form.
Or
A billion other things I haven't thought of yet.

Really guys, we went through all the trouble of developing this whole class of magic, and then we just got bored and moved on without doing anything useful with it!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 17, 2017, 02:58:18 am »

I know!

I think the best path for Life Magic now is growing Crystal. Preferably after crystalworks though so we can make it non-dispellable. But even then, growing crystal could still be used outside of antimagic range to quickly deploy crystal barricades and fortifications on the field.
It can start as a simple "Throw gem on ground, get instant cover" to "Easily build crystal fort within minutes." It could also be used to have crystal easily seal up holes in ships!
It's an amazing route that I definitely want to pursue after Magegems and Crystalworks.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 17, 2017, 03:21:43 am »

What if we combine those two things? Grown Crystal sustained by the plant structure. It's anchored to the life force of the plant to keep it from dispelling.

Instead of Crystal works as a factory/foundry, it's Crystal works as a green house! We can grow the stuff fast enough now after all.

Two birds with one stone!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 17, 2017, 03:50:10 am »

I dunno.
One of the advantages we had with crystal was how precise we were able to make it - we summoned the crystal in the exact shapes required and as thus they were extremely sharp and structurally sound. By growing it, then we'd have to deal with forging it which would remove one of the advantages of crystal. I actually thought about this.

So continuing, here's my current rough plan:
Flare -> Magegem -> ? Revision -> Crystalworks -> ? Revision -> Crystalclad -> Messing with beast/life magics -> Eventually getting towards that Walker idea I had.

I'm still serious about the Walker. With Magegems and Crystalworks, it'd actually be possible.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 301