Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376937 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2460 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »

um... CF, we can't use crystals for wiring. It breaks after any magic is pushed through it.

You know how we could fix that though?
Regenerative Crystal
We can create crystals that, when damaged, use a minute amount of the energy passing through them to repair themselves. This also means we can use charged mage gems to quickly repair damaged crystal equipment (such as ship plating or weapon systems.) by transferring the stored charge into them.

imagine. Our boat gets hit by a ballista bolt. It got a giant hole in it, and starts taking on water. Suddenly, a crew member rams a A battery into the thing, and the hole closes up. (Only the size of a soda can. We could create Super-A batteries and store them by the dozens on ships for emergency repairs.!)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 23, 2017, 06:57:40 pm »

Waiting on your Meteoric Ore design, guys.  Remember, this is a bonus, stand-alone design that just rolls for effectiveness and gets +2.  It does not otherwise contribute to your understanding of magic, does not get its own revision roll, and will be a National Effort.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 23, 2017, 06:59:08 pm »

@Helmacon
So, we've discovered we can use crystals to direct the flow of magic, but it's not effective to use it for magical circuitry, let alone circuitry on devices like the HA1 or the steam recycler.
We can use it for wiring. Just not something as precise as circuitry. Think about it this way - you can't use cables to make the kinds of circuits found in your computer, but they are great for transferring large amounts of power.

@Evicted: Aah. I was expecting something bigger. What effect does stacking them (multiple in the same design) have on Expense?

@Everyone:
Meteor Design: Staff of Frostflame (Better name appreciated)

Myark needs his own weapon. The Wand of Fireballs is obsolete. Our Towers of Frost are simply boring.
Someone of Myark's skill needs a matching weapon.

The Staff of Frostflame can influence an entire battlefield, manipulating the temperature as the holder pleases. Myark can hold the influence of an entire Tower of Frost over a theatre or even heat up the theatre if the user was crazy. It can cause a small patch of land (like a couple feet) to instantly burst into flames or freeze over. Myark could freeze someone or set them on fire. He can extinguish a fire by simply freezing it. He can look across the battlefield and set Moskurg ballistas on fire without using the short-ranged fireball. He can freeze distant portions of land. A meteor core inside the staff amplifies the already insane levels of magical powers from Myark to the degree needed to power the staff.
Myark, with this weapon, can control temperature itself.

TL;DR: The Staff of Forever Frost but with a heat component.

Meteor Design: Myark's Falcon
A regular Hunter Falcon is no good for Myark. He needs a familiar befitting his status.
Myark's Falcon is a falcon enhanced with the meteor. Our best falcon specimen is taken, and Myark himself enacts the process using our supply of meteor ore adjacent to him and the falcon.

The Falcon's bones are enhanced (not replaced) with the strength (and lightness) of crystal. Their loyalty and even intelligence are drastically improved. The Falcon's eyesight is improved, and their talons are made out of solid crystal. They can fly at insane speeds to insane heights. The crystal is "powered" by the Falcon's very lifeforces and as such isn't dispellable, just as a human isn't dispellable.
Myark, through the process, will even share a link with the Falcon, being able to get a basic sense of what the Falcon is seeing, and as such can use it as his own flying scout. The Falcon understands complex orders from Myark and can execute them with precision.
A side effect of the process makes the falcon notably (but not that much) bigger than the regular falcon. The Falcon can still just barely be perched on Myark, though!

Sometimes, an apprentice can swear he sees Myark conversing tactics with his falcon, but he denies such claims.

TL;DR: Myark's very own Falcon. He shares a kind of link with it and can use it to scout and extend his vision. It's much more intelligent and can follow complex orders. It's stronger, more lethal, and faster.
I really like this idea. Ambitious, but worth a NE.

Meteor Design
1 - Myark's Falcon: Chiefwaffles
1 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles
1 - Tower of Heresy: FallacyofUrist
1 - Staff of Forever Frost: Andres
0 - Catgirl Assassins(Hilarious):
0 - Maxim Gun(Improbable):
1 - Aetheric Staff(Practical): FallacyofUrist
1 - Beacon of Magic: helmacon
1 - Demon Wolf From The Dark Heavens: VoidSlayer
0 - Crown of Ash:
1 - Gilded Guardian Gilda: RAM
0? - Orb of Divination: Andrea?
0? - Orb of Anti-Divination: Andrea?
0 - Large Ice Lizard With Wings:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:
Vote for Myark's Falcon! Or anything, really. We just need a consensus.

ALSO: Idea for later, after crystalworks - Magical power grid. We create a central "power plant" and connect it to the city with crystal wiring. I don't know what the benefits are yet other than powering multiple Crystalworks-like buildings at once, but it seems like it could be useful.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 23, 2017, 07:05:27 pm »

We can use it for wiring. Just not something as precise as circuitry. Think about it this way - you can't use cables to make the kinds of circuits found in your computer, but they are great for transferring large amounts of power.
hmm... sounds plausible I guess, but I think we should ask EV for some conformation.

@EV Can we use crystal as heavy duty cabling for magic energy?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 23, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »

Sure, but it wont be flexible and will require maintenance like all your other crystals.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:22 pm »

B-b-but it has magic literally flowing through it! Why would it need magic to maintain it?!
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »

C'mon Piratejoe! Come vote for Gilda! She is the champion that the new class of valkyries we train will need to lead them!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »

Nonono!
Even with the meteor, Gilda's the very definition of "overambitious".

Vote for my stuff instead, people.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:02 pm »

I fail to see how your falcon design incorporates the meteor at all...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:16 pm »

Maybe if Gilda was a catgirl, nyeh. Because enhanced senses and dexterity and claws and deceptive cuteness, nyeh.

I think my Aetheric Staff is better than the Frostflame Staff. Anti-magic and spell amplification versus more of what we already have. And while Myark's Falcon may be nice... it's not really flashy or powerful or battlefield effecting. I think Myark would like the Aetheric Staff better.

I fail to see how your falcon design incorporates the meteor at all...
Also this.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:51 pm »

The process is done "through" the Meteor, "exhausting" it of its potential. This unique way of conducting the process in addition to Myark's skill amplifies the spell, allowing for additional effects and creating that link mentioned in the design.
It's not really possible without the meteor. The linking effect would have to be painstakingly designed and incorporated into the spell, and the other benefits of the design would have to be independently considered and fit into the spell without making it unfeasible for anyone, even Myark, to cast it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 23, 2017, 07:38:06 pm »

Okay. So what makes the Falcon a worthy design? Couldn't we do so much more with the meteor? Heck, couldn't we make a battleship out of it that would dominate the seas for us and let us get that surprise deployment bonus?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »

The thing is, we want to use the meteor to branch out in a design making something unique enough or powerful enough that we wouldn't at some point eventually surpass the meteor design. That would partially waste the design. It should remain relevant.

Considering Crystalclads are my number one want for the future (they're 80% of my reasoning for the crystalworks), something like a battleship would be outclassed by that. If we were to make something like a "crystalclad but better", most of our "work" in the design would go into the parts that would incorporate a crystalclad. So if we were to do something like the Crystalclad in the future, then we'd have to reinvent the wheel and re-learn how to do the parts done in the design. Sure, the design may still be a bit better than a Crystalclad but it wouldn't be worth the one-time-only meteor design action.

TL;DR: We want to use the meteor design to make something that remains useful and that we won't eventually do with regular designs/revisions.

Also, -1 to all catgirl-related designs ever.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:04 pm »

Double post, but what would people think of a giant crystalclad eagle as a flying mount for Myark?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:30 pm »

Okay. So what makes the Falcon a worthy design? Couldn't we do so much more with the meteor? Heck, couldn't we make a battleship out of it that would dominate the seas for us and let us get that surprise deployment bonus?
We probably don't want to invest many designs into a flagship, so this is actually a really good idea, but I mad heart valkyrie, so too bad so sad.

The flacon really seems like a bust. We want to improve scouting and such anyways. If only we had vultures then we could easily train them to circle over our doomed opponents from insane altitudes...

Gilda, on the other hand, is a champion. She could at least get a funky flagship working at half power. Maybe not full fighting strength but at least getting it out and floating. Even if she is just some decrepit old hag who can;t leave the homeland, at least she serves as an inspiration to our future valkyries who will not have any formal experience from her but at least have something to live up to.

Oh noes! I just realised. If another champion is too ambitious, then she might need to be 'powered' by Myark...

Why not have a dragon instead?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 301