Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376971 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2505 on: May 24, 2017, 02:59:23 am »

7.) Crystal Shield/Plating (Create a crystal enclosure for the operators and maybe crystal plating for the rest of the artillery, making it much more durable against Moskurg air units and artillery.)

Yes please why haven't we done this yet please why.  We can literally summon steel bunkers.
Communual spell: The living wall!
  -Your Theatre Commander is not an idiot and you should listen to his advice
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 24, 2017, 03:02:22 am »

But yeah. Next turn I think we should do crystalworks then HA1 crystal shielding. The combat reports make a loot of mentions of the battles turning more their way after they whittle down on our HA1s with their units. We can remedy this by reinforcing our cannons with a light + strong material that'll protect our artillery and soldiers at little cost. Crystal plating on the artillery itself (if needed) can be created using Crystalworks and permanently attached to the artillery. The shielding protecting the ammunition + operators can be either summoned on the go when the artillery is deployed, or kind of like a slightly-enclosed canopy. Or both - a canopy that's "completed" when a mage summons the rest, then the rest is desummoned and the artillery + the canopy is moved.
Speaking of which, Evicted, how are our artillery pieces being destroyed by firebombs? The stuff's made out of metal, right?

@RAM: Living Wall is much more ambitious than simple crystal plating+canopies (with infrastructure!) and the circumstances were very different at that time.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:14 am »

TL;DR: A mind-influencing weapon. Causes mass decrease in morale on a theatre scale, can cause small groups to desert the battle or surrender, or can completely "brainwash" individuals.
I'm happy to modify the design at anyone's request.
I'd like to request a rewording of the design. As it is, it's worded very cynically, as if it were a weapon of slavery and fear. It should be the opposite. Against an individual, it should free from the curse of being a Moskurg and allow them to live their life as a true, virtuous, glorious Arstotzkan. Against a small group, it purges enemies of enough Moskurgans that they become internally conflicted between Arstotzka and Moskurg, resulting in anything from desertion to surrender to rout. The effects of what happens to large groups is worded well in the original design document.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:53 am »

@Chiefwaffles:  the golden circuit gets melted, the wooden carriage gets burned, and the crews get killed.

Looks like the Spire is winning.  Unless that changes soon I'll roll up the design.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:21:15 am by evictedSaint »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 24, 2017, 11:29:00 am »

Meteor Design
1 - Battle Eagle: voidslayer
1 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles
1 - Tower of Heresy: FallacyofUrist
1 - Staff of Forever Frost: Andres
2 - Wand of True Light: Chiefwaffles, Andres
0 - Catgirl Assassins(Hilarious):
0 - Maxim Gun(Improbable):
1 - Aetheric Staff(Practical): FallacyofUrist
1 - Beacon of Magic: helmacon
0 - Demon Wolf From The Dark Heavens:
0 - Crown of Ash:
1 - Gilded Guardian Gilda: RAM
0? - Orb of Divination: Andrea?
0? - Orb of Anti-Divination: Andrea?
0 - Large Ice Lizard With Wings:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 24, 2017, 02:07:13 pm »

Yea, I guess I can get behind the wand of true light. It sends like it would be more useful for creating spies and saboteurs than any demoralizing effect though. Still, +1.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 24, 2017, 02:47:16 pm »

Okay, I like that. Builds on mind magic too.

Meteor Design
1 - Battle Eagle: voidslayer
1 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles
0 - Tower of Heresy:
1 - Staff of Forever Frost: Andres
4 - Wand of True Light: Chiefwaffles, Andres, FallacyofUrist, helmacon
0 - Catgirl Assassins(Hilarious):
0 - Maxim Gun(Improbable):
0 - Aetheric Staff(Practical):
1 - Beacon of Magic: helmacon
0 - Demon Wolf From The Dark Heavens:
0 - Crown of Ash:
1 - Gilded Guardian Gilda: RAM
0? - Orb of Divination: Andrea?
0? - Orb of Anti-Divination: Andrea?
0 - Large Ice Lizard With Wings:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 24, 2017, 03:01:09 pm »

I mean, we aren't getting experience from it.
But it does go in a direction that we won't really need to go towards later. If it works out then we won't particularly need to do anything in the brainwash enlightenment area of mindmagic. We can still do things like enhancement and other modifications to the mind, but that isn't wasted by the wand.

And Andres, I think I addressed your feedback. It's a bit less cynical now. It may not be enough, so still let me know if you have anything else to add before it gets rolled.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 24, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »

It's looking very good now. Nothing more needs to be changed.

Glory to Arstotzka.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 24, 2017, 03:44:34 pm »

Design: Wand of True Light [5+2]

The Wand of True Light is an incredibly unique and ambitious design.  It is similar to our spell to sway falcons to our cause, but the actual spellwork behind it is a little confusing.  The meteorite had just enough ore for a single wand, and the properties of the metal leave our Mathemagicians scratching their heads.  It doesn't behave at all like our other spells, instead shifting in a web of interconnected magical links.  The point is that we managed to make it, but we have no idea how and probably couldn't replicate it.

The wand requires the focus of a master wizard like Myark and has a theatre-wide moral effect.  It seeds doubts in the victims mind that are difficult to dispell until they're outside the effect of the spell.  Particularly strong-willed individuals may be able to fight it, but the average soldier will break more easily once afflicted.  The spell is insideous, able to cover an entire theatre - it doesn't work in anti-magical fields, but an affected soldier will need to spend a couple hours in the anti-magic area before the effects wear off, or leave the theatre entirely.  National Effort.

Myark is back from his campaign overseas.  Where do you wish to send him?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 24, 2017, 04:31:56 pm »

That's disappointing. Well, at least we have a benchmark for these kinds of things now.

Send Myark to the Mountains. Let's get back our ore.

Glory to Arstotzka.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 24, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »

Myark is back from his campaign overseas.  Where do you wish to send him?
To the bathhouse! There is nothing like a long campaign to build up an epic reek.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 24, 2017, 04:35:22 pm »

Cool! Sad that it doesn't do the individual effects but the theatre-wide effect is by far the most important part and seems extremely useful.

So, where to send Myark?
Mountains is an option if we want to absolutely crush any semblances of resistance there, but I'm not sure about that. We'd probably win easily without Myark.

At the sea? It'd break the stalemate there.

Plains? It'd help continue or victory there, but we only need him if Moskurg made any particularly useful inventions.

Jungle? We didn't lose by that much last time and now we have Falcons.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 24, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »

Mountains is an option if we want to absolutely crush any semblances of resistance there, but I'm not sure about that. We'd probably win easily without Myark.
We could indeed probably win without Myark, but if we likely won't be able to win over the course of a single year. Better to send him in now not only to guarantee that we get the Mountains, but that we get the Mountains this very year.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 24, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »

Well, we did lose because a ton of our forces were gone and they only gained one piece of land.
That and Evicted did say that battles will always have one side advancing now. So if we have the upper hand, we'll win back the Mountains.

Personally, I'm thinking either Jungle or Seas.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 301