Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376923 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2820 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:24 am »

DESIGNS
0 Ritual of Flame:
0 Institute of Mathemagical Analysis:
0 Hunter Falcon:
0 Internal Detonation Engine:
4 AS-STV-1 "Restless": Chiefwaffles, Andres, Gwolfski, FallacyofUrist
0 Lighting Control Towers:
0 Pulse-jet:
0 Longshot rod:
2 AS-HAC-1: Kadzar, Andrea
0 Longshot rodd:
0 Shinesteel Armour:
1 AS-M1 "Flame Rod": Voidslayer

I don't believe in trains, I believe in guns.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: June 05, 2017, 11:01:31 am »

Design: AS-STV-1 "Restless" [3, 4-1, 4]

Your soldiers are intially skeptical when the Steam Transport Vehicle rolls out for the first time. 

The Restless is a machine-printed crystal hull covering a pair of steam engines.  It's essentially a large, squashed box with a few holes in the crystal frame, and a small hook on the back to drag another crystal box on steel grooved wheels.  The main "engine" features four wheels, two of which are piston-operated and geared to the steam engine via large steel gears and locked in unison.  These wheels are cast akin to our cannon barrels, but each wheel must be worked and tempered afterwards to ensure no defects or burrs exist that would disrupt the way they roll.  The grooved wheels ride along a pair of steel tracks mounted on wooden ties, secured by a bed of gravel.  The tracks don't sink into mud like wagon wheels do, which is a good thing - the entire thing is enormously heavy.  The steam engines must be geared down to a large degree to provide enough torque to move the thing, and even then it can't climb hills more than 10°. On the up-side, the train will never have to deal with such a steep angle, as our workers can dictate the slope and path of the tracks.

The drivers compartment features a wide, open area that allows fresh air to whistle through, helping to cool the internal compartment which gets hot despite the cooling circuits.  The driver is paired with an apprentice to repair fractures in the crystal frame and keep the (very hot) steam engines operating.  The machine is controlled by two levers, one which acts as the "engage" for the steam engine and one which acts as a brake.  Currently the lever only "engages" or "disengages" two secondary gears that connect the driving pistons to their respective steam engine.  One secondary gear allows "forward" motion, and the other allows "reverse".  Switching between directions when not at a full stop will shear the gears and require lengthy repairs.  They must also be disengaged before braking, which is done by metal plates that use steam pressure to press against the wheels.  Speed is otherwise controlled by how hot the Engine Apprentice runs the steam engines.

A small hook on the back allows a secondary vehicle to be hooked on.  We've taken the liberty of creating a crystal wagon that can carry twenty Arstotzkan soldiers in full armor, albeit uncomfortably.  It features four free-spinning grooved wheels and a canvas canopy to keep off the sun and rain.  It also has another hook on the back, allowing additional wagons to be daisy-chained together.  The entire train could be caught by a man on horseback, but unlike a horse it does not grow tired and can carry a modest load.  This should solve our issues feeding ammo to the HA1, and help move around troops. We can hook maybe four wagons to the train before it becomes too heavy to run properly. Very Expensive.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:41:49 pm by evictedSaint »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: June 05, 2017, 11:06:16 am »

Well.

Revision: Crystal Optics: We've noticed that crystal bends light. Overcome by visions of directed beams of concentrated light and crystal shrouds of invisibility, our researchers focused on learning how to manipulate the creation of crystal in our Crystalworks to change its light-bending properties. What we've found is that invisibility crystal and crystal "laser" emitters are definitely possible, but need more than a revision. However, we've also developed a more mundane tool from this: a "spyglass", or as our astronomers are calling it, "telescope", which allows vision at far greater distances than normally possible, and eliminates the need for spotters, as well as being very tactically useful.

That said, I'm also fine going for a Restless revision. Infrastructure is key!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: June 05, 2017, 12:07:58 pm »

+1 for the relentless revision. +1 for a name change to the restless
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: June 05, 2017, 12:24:04 pm »

what do you want to change in the relentless? what are we actually trying to achieve with it?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: June 05, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »

Basically, rapid troop and equipment transport, as well as more mobile guns.

Crystal Restless: A lot of the stuff we're using to build our Restless isn't crystal. We have the Crystalworks, we should be using more crystal. Crystal chains! Crystal wheels! Crystal treads! Well, within reason. Where it's better to be flexible, use metal, but for a lot of this stuff, it would be better to use crystal.

Chiefwaffles could probably do it better, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: June 05, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »

honestly, crystal doesn't seem like it is a problem. It is already mostly crystal. What is a bit lacking is the propulsion system. It is slow and parts of it sometimes break.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: June 05, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »

ok, yea. We have plenty of crystal on the thing. We need to fix the whole "Treads slipping off" thing. Probably pretty easy. We could add a bit of insulation around the steam engines to keep the heat down inside the vehicle. Put some padding on that crystal chair. Add a few more gears to give it different speeds and allow for turning while maintaining forward motion. Could probably fix up that gear shift there while we are at it so it dosent break down as much. Maybe add a gun platform alternative to the transport.

The whole "Fracturing from heat" thing is a more fundamental problem that we would have to revise our crystal itself to fix. Probably ought to burn a revision on that when we have time.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:19 pm »

Or just add an apprentice and put in a minature forever frost in the cabin and some heat-sinks to send the Cool in the Cabin(c) into the crystals around the boilers. I mean, we MUST understand heat conductivity and convection by now given all our fire and cold magic and all of the metal that we have.

Erection of Everywhere Explosions
We convert a Tower of Forever Frost to activate the streamlined fireball spell instead. Hopfully producing a very expensive tower that can send out a dozen fireballs per minute.

Ministry of Martial Magecraft
We add a course to the academies to train our wizards to use stances and powerful utterances as an alternative to gestures and chants. This allows them to increase their mobility while casting, increasing their survivability while in the open. It has also been reported that fireball punches are epic.

Halls of Higher Heirophants
We take the most promising apprentice-level graduates and retain them for more advanced courses at the academy, hopingthat some amongst them will advance beyond apprentice level.

Fruitfulness
We convert the dogwood staves to use a magam and send them to farmers to quickly progress fruit trees into the fruit-bearing stage.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »

Wait did we even make a train?
Because it sounds like we didn't make a train. I don't even know where to begin in terms of revisions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:11 pm »

I don't think the tread cracking is from heat... but if we want to solve that, why not use things that can be adapted for more portable use?

Heat-conscious steam engine

Steam is hot. But the casing doesn't need to be. The boiler of the steam engine is covered by an insulating layer of animal hidein which embedded circuits dissipate heat, similar to those used on the condenser and on cannon barrels. Well regulated, this allows the inside part of the insulating layer ( the boiler walls) to stay at a safe temperature for the metal, while the outside is at a comfortable room temperature. Ensuring proper cooling of the boiler walls allows us to increase heat and pressure inside without an increased risk of explosion. (heat makes materials less strong. we keep it cool, it works better)

and no, it is not a train from the description, it is a tracked vehicle

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: June 05, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

Okay. So we made an APC then.

I don't really know how this happened. I also bet we could have avoided the -1 with an actual train. But at least this is something we were planning on doing?
I guess Evicted may have seen "tracks" and thought like these kinds of tracks instead of rails.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: June 05, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »

....I have no clue how I missed that.  I'm so sorry, I'm a complete moron.  I must have read the word "train" a dozen times.  Sorry guys, I'll fix it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: June 05, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »

Can we keep the tracked vehicle? I like it way more than the train. Train is stupid.

edit: I mean... tracked vehicle can move stuff and people in the front lines. Train can't, because you are not going to build a railroad while under heavy fire.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:36 pm »

I don't think now's the right time for a tracked vehicle. It's Very Expensive, slow, and extraordinarily uncomfortable.
That and a train solves severa critical problems. Like our shell/water shortage in HA1s. It also is just good for all the thing I've said so far - mass troop and supply transport as well as limited mobile artillery.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 301