Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375673 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3300 on: June 19, 2017, 04:27:56 pm »

0 - C.H.O.M.P.:
3 - Blastshell [A: +Range]: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, Andres
1 - Blastshell [B: AM Resistance]: Chiefwaffles

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »

In essence, the spell just drags the magic out of one of the enemy spells and pulls on it until it feels something and then summons it. I am guessing that the Keggers are actually worshipping a cabaal of minor lovecraftian horrors. But if we just yank out the bits of magic that they are relying upon then that would work too. It doesn't actually specify 'what' is summoned, just how to find it using existing methods.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: June 19, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »

Why is our HA1 labeled obsolete?

0 - C.H.O.M.P.:
4 - Blastshell [A: +Range]: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, Andres, FallacyofUrist
1 - Blastshell [B: AM Resistance]: Chiefwaffles

For our revision, can we maybe upgrade our frost tower to somehow get around their upgraded armor?

Future Revision: Thorough Frost Towers: We've made a modification to the way our frost towers cool the area. Basically, instead of cooling in an expansive method from itself(it projects cold from itself), it instead generates cold directly in the area(cold simply appears instead of being pushed out from the tower), meaning the Moskurgers will be frozen inside their armor despite its fixed temperature. We also expect to gain some experience from this relevant to our impending aetheric plane based teleportation system.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: June 19, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »

I think at this point it's better to just design the Frost Towers into something useful. While it is extremely annoying that they just hard countered the entirety of frost towers, countering their counter will lead to them countering our counter of their counter.
Remember radios in the 1st Arms Race?

We're better off using the Frost Towers as a jumping point for some other thing. Like RAM's pseudo-wind thing which I still don't agree with, but that's the kind of thing I'm referring to.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: June 19, 2017, 05:52:50 pm »

Future Revision: Thorough Frost Towers: We've made a modification to the way our frost towers cool the area. Basically, instead of cooling in an expansive method from itself(it projects cold from itself), it instead generates cold directly in the area(cold simply appears instead of being pushed out from the tower), meaning the Moskurgers will be frozen inside their armor despite its fixed temperature. We also expect to gain some experience from this relevant to our impending aetheric plane based teleportation system.
We would need some way to protect our troops from the effects of this tower, otherwise this would easily kill them as easily as they would the enemy. Lowering internal body temperature by as little as 10 degrees will kill a regular human  ((source)) and our frost towers decrease temperature by a lot more than that.

I think at this point it's better to just design the Frost Towers into something useful. While it is extremely annoying that they just hard countered the entirety of frost towers, countering their counter will lead to them countering our counter of their counter.
Remember radios in the 1st Arms Race?

We're better off using the Frost Towers as a jumping point for some other thing. Like RAM's pseudo-wind thing which I still don't agree with, but that's the kind of thing I'm referring to.
The idea should not be discounted. If we need a quick win, such as to deny them resources or gain some for ourselves, the frost tower revision would be a great way to get us that. If we send Myark somewhere, we can do this frost tower to make up for his absence on the battlefield. They'd design a counter the next turn, but we'd only need those frost towers for a turn anyway.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:34:53 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: June 19, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »

I should remind people that Moskurg doesn't know that our crystal makes things made with it one expense level lower. Don't reveal that secret in another thread or Discord. The last thing we need is them discovering that they could potentially do that themselves.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: June 20, 2017, 03:13:43 am »

Amber Gems

Grow mage gems inside sap bearing trees to reduce the expense and make more "mana dense" (twice as much?) gems.  I can make some fluff if anyone thinks this is a good idea.

War Wagon

This large wagon is powered by a blastball engine based on a combination of our blast cannons and steam engines.  The engine is made of all crystal, along with the wheels and other mechanisms, and powered by a mage or apprentice safely tucked away inside the wagon.  Thick crystal armor protects the crew from ballistic while a thin layer of circuit cooled steel armor absorbs lighting strikes with minimal damage.  The entire thing is slanted upwards to deflect wind and heavy enough to not be blown away.  It can carry a full load of ten armored soldiers along with a wagonmaster to steer and two apprentices to power the engine and cooling circuits.  The goal speed is a little faster then a horse.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:16 am »

Amber Gems

Grow mage gems inside sap bearing trees to reduce the expense and make more "mana dense" (twice as much?) gems.  I can make some fluff if anyone thinks this is a good idea.
I have been proposing plant magic = gems for a while now. This seems maybe better than mine. Depends upon how effective amber gems are. Could be that customising them makes them awesome, or that they lack the structure to be awesome. I am guessing that they would have awesome special abilities but lower capacity unless they have bugs in them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:02 am »

Amber Gems

I have been proposing plant magic = gems for a while now. This seems maybe better than mine. Depends upon how effective amber gems are. Could be that customising them makes them awesome, or that they lack the structure to be awesome. I am guessing that they would have awesome special abilities but lower capacity unless they have bugs in them...

So we should include insects inside?  I mean we can already summon wasps.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: June 20, 2017, 05:50:03 am »

Amber Gems

mage gems 2.0. AI included.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:51 am »

Seems like blast shells are winning. I'll roll up designs in an hour or so.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:24 am »

Amber Gems

mage gems 2.0. AI included.

Why not amber petrify an entire mind controlled bird and have it act as a control system?  Besides the horror when we realize we can do it to people.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: June 20, 2017, 01:26:05 pm »

Why not amber petrify an entire mind controlled bird and have it act as a control system?  Besides the horror when we realize we can do it to people. 
magic based cryo sleep for when we get to space.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: June 20, 2017, 01:50:20 pm »

So while we wait, I'm going to try to list the possible improvements for soldier survivability.

Moskurg's weapons:
  • Lightning - We can probably solve this with a new crystal design or a revision to crystal. Either way it should be easy given our two attempts already.
  • Firestorms - See the below Environmental Control System for combat armor. Lets our soldiers operate underwater(!!!!!) and just ignore their fire by using climate control and recycled air.
  • Ballistae - Better crystal, kinetic shielding, or power armor. Just give our soldiers more protection.
  • Tornadoes - Uh. I don't really know how to easily solve this on the personal level. APCs could help, or just a counter to their tornadoes in a more direct way.

On that note, here's a better version of the Air Recycling System I posted earlier. It's pretty much just a change in fluff, but I feel it suits it better.
Future(?) Revision: Environmental Control System
The Environmental Control System, or ECS, is an integral yet simple circuit (or scroll) that can be integrated into any closed environment. Its overall role is to provide a suitable environment for anyone inside the closed space regardless of outside conditions. Its first use will be implementation inside all Combat Armor, but a minor part of the project is making use of it elsewhere in the military and civilian life.

The first aspect is its cooling circuits. We've had plenty of experience with cooling circuits before, from the important Magical Condenser (which is a tiny cooling circuit itself, essentially!) to the frost circuits we use nearly everywhere to prevent overheating of items. The cooling circuits are set to keep the interior at a comfortable room temperature, and doesn't consume power as this is a simple passive "enchantment". It can keep this up regardless of the outside environment. If it doesn't add any notable degree of complexity, then we'd also include basic heating capabilities as well, but that's low priority.
This means our soldiers will be able to comfortably brave any environment regardless of outside conditions. When Combat Armor is equipped with an ECS, it'll be able to survive any temperatures - even if the Combat Armor has been doused with Moskurg's fireoil, the occupant will remain perfectly comfortable.

The second (very slightly lower priority) aspect is fresh air. Our soldiers may not always be in the best conditions for breathing. Whether it's because they're doused in fireoil or are underwater, we can't always expect for our soldiers to have a supply of fresh air. That's why the ECS includes another circuit-based enchantment to keep the air content at standard atmospheric levels perfect for breathing. This circuit is primarily based on the Fireball/Blastball, which we have extreme experience with. Fireballs, for example, essentially create a mixture of gases. This combined with our general conjuration experience mean we can easily create the part of the ECS that adjusts the gas levels in the environment for optimum breathing conditions. It doesn't require new air to be brought in, and an ECS in a closed environment with people inside can keep the air breathable forever without any air brought in from outside.

The result is a powerless small circuit that can be integrated to anything, and will ensure perfect atmospheric conditions regardless of anything happening outside. Our soldiers will be able to walk through fire and walk underwater. If a sailor is thrown overboard, the only thing they need to worry about is food and water before rescue. If a soldier is firebombed, they can just ignore it and continue on. If a (somehow non-frozen) lake is blocking our soldiers' path, they can just walk through it. If the conditions outside are too hot or somehow too cold for living, our soldiers can just ignore it! And the ECS can be put anywhere in a closed environment. Future vehicles can ignore outside conditions, and our camps can be perfect for living regardless of the weather. Some have even wanted to make a greenhouse using the ECS.
Yet it's simple. It's simply combining our existing climate control circuits (like the Magical Condenser) with a circuit based upon our extensive Fireball experience.

TL;DR: A circuit that controls the environment to be breathable and at the perfect temperature regardless of outside conditions. Can be put anywhere, but for now lets our Combat Armor soldiers walk underwater virtually indefinitely and lets them ignore fire + Moskurg firebombs. Also has cool miscellaneous benefits like improving living conditions of civilians + our soldiers and allowing for greenhouses. All while being really simple to make.

The ECS is actually really useful. It's simple and easy to implement in just about anything and is useful in any closed environment. Submarines, tanks, amphibious vehicles, whatever. Makes their firebombs useless.
Also we could totally use this as a stepping stone for the Arstotzkan Orbital Program. Which is totally a thing.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: June 20, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »

Tornadoes - Uh. I don't really know how to easily solve this on the personal level. APCs could help, or just a counter to their tornadoes in a more direct way.
My Fireball revision should give our wizards the punch they need to disrupt and destroy their tornadoes. It's working with fireballs, so it's likely to succeed and only requires a revision instead of a full design. Should also guarantee that Myark wins all duels with Al-Mutriqa.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 301