Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376918 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3435 on: June 28, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »

The magegems are AAA which aren't yet capable of providing enough SPSF-Cs for 4 bullets, but that's what the Revision phase is for. We were planning to increase their capacity anyway.
As far as I can tell, the design doesn't actualyl function at all unless there is a specific, and successful, revision. Also, it is a revision that has already been done in the previous turn. I would expect to experience diminishing returns from repeating the same effect, thus I feel we ought to do something more dramatic to improve the gems. Also, most of that design is pretty mundane. The magazine might be a bit ambitious for a revision, but the lenses and barrel are probably revisable, and I doubt that we are getting aerodynamic bullets easily without a justification for it. aerodynamics is very difficult and it is non-magical so we are trying to do it with dark/middle-age resources. I feel that if we want to start on aerodynamics we should first build a hydrodynamic hull that works mostly in two dimensions and offers highly visible wakes and eddies.

Underwater Naval Cannon Engine
Shape: A large pod with a ship-shaped fin above it and three platforms atop the fin with three tubes in the fin leading to those platforms.
Stability: Air-chambers in the fin and lead-ballast along the base of the pod.
Ventilation/pumping: Chill-base vents using convection to pull fresh air in, flame-base vents expelling air and steam.
Propulsion: If fireballs work underwater than use flame-based pulse-jets using a single cork-and-cage vent to prevent forward-thrust. It should work about as well as the steam-cannons do for exactly the same reasons...
If fireballs do not work underwater then:
 Use cannons along the sides and rear. Alternate summoning crystal globes after the cannon is cleared and summoning explosions inside the air-filled crystal globes. If a cannon becomes flooded then it can be drained by summoning a crystal to seal the chamber and removing a summoned crystal from an air-vent then using a flame circuit to expel the water through the air-vent as steam.
Sealing: Screwed hatches with nice, large, solid handles and freezing circuits to turn leaks into ice.
Power: magess in the bottom, circuits leading to the cannons at the top.
Steering: Summoned/unsummoned crystals in two fixed slots at the back. Clearly marked "left", "right", and "slow" circuits used to summon them.
Communication: Magem-powered flare circuits used to light up various panels. Typically navigation requests and combat warnings.
Armament: One heavy cannon in a rotating bunker powered by an updated one of the old miniboilers and two medium cannons in mostly open-walled covered bunkers.
Escape: An extremely cramped pod forward and externally mounted with an undersized engine and a delayed magem-powered circuit that generates explosions within the near hull, cracking the pod from the ship.

Their weather effects have, thus far, proven completely air-based, and they appear to lack any means to exert influence over the water-element. Thus the water should be quite safe.

Linked magems get my vote because they seem useful. Especially if we can get charging arrays that can be places in a less exposed location and spread out to avoid competing with one another. Although an actual charging system would be preferable. Did I mention that my Devumes could lead to an easy magic-accumulation design? Also much of that can be done with circuits instead, or at least that is my feeling. But a nice mobile mage-fort providing energy to surrounding soldiers could be loads of fun.

The war wagon is okay, but I don't see the need, and there are no jets on it : (

Blastshield seems to be missing the point. Lightning is killing us, tornadoes are killing us. Their ballistae are a pretty minor issue at this point and the armour probably won't have enough energy to repel it regardless, not without something like linked gems to focus magic. It might be better to go back to my crystal charms that transform into extra armour. At least that technology has a clear advancement in detection ability. This is an energy shield that, well, I expect that the energy requirements are huge. It needs to stop ballistae bolts... If you want pressure tech to use against their weather systems then we can already do that with temperature changes. That is, like, weather 101: hot=low, cold=high, low -> high... Note that funnels typically occur on sun-baked plains next to frozen mountains, but never actually on the mountains, although you might get the odd willywilly from local turbulence...
So, is there some sort of plan as to what use pressure magic has?

Protector is way too ambitious, and not in a good way.  Most of the technology either doesn't exist or outright contradicts established facts. Enchantment magic doesn't exist(Well the Kegger's seem to have it, but that doesn't help unless you want to spend a design recovering one of their carpets...), that is a new field, As is conversion magic(It is not enough to create new air, you need to clean the old stuff too), Blast engines should be easy but we don't know their performance, exceeding a horse is either a design goal, which needs a priority, or an unsubstantiated claim, as it stand I would not find fault in the G.M. saying "it is faster than a horse but a well-aimed arrow can go through the thin armour" on a low roll as the space requirement of the design require a very small engine, we have no sealing technology for underwater operations and the value of such is vague, there are very few river crossings reported and this thing still seems unsuited to sea-crossings. Layered armour never worked and it is explicitly stated that their lightning control has nothing to do with conductivity and that our lightning rods were working entirely within design specifications. And I am pretty sure that lightning tends to blow crystal up rather than harmlessly passing through it, but I could be wrong on that point.
Needs some ballast and a lightning rod would help. They can't fathomably control mundane lightning and magic lightning is going to be expensive and probably vulnerable to antimagic charms.
If it worked perfectly then we have a moderately fast weapon platform and troop carrier, which would be nice, but not game-changing, primarily because it is probably still slower than their airships. It will not work perfectly.

I would rather do the R2 as a design for a light-enchanted lens and a revision for longer barrel and magazine, ideally with some sort of magic to justify the otherwise technical magazine. It also doesn't have enough power to shoot in its initial configuration and then needs a revision which might not work. Better to do the design with a novelty oversized magazine and then try to shrink it...
DESIGN
0 Devumes:
1 Linked Mage Gems: RAM
0 War Wagon:
0 AS-PSD-1 Kinetic Resistor "Blastshield":
1 AS-LFV-1 "Protector": Chiefwaffles
1 AS-R2: Andres
0 Underwater Naval Cannon Engine:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: June 28, 2017, 05:28:08 pm »

Enchantment magic exists, pal. Circuits are literally enchantments. They were introduced as enchantments in the Mahical condenser revision for the steam engine.

The Restless already roughly matches a horse in speed when fully loaded. It has a single unupgraded steam engine.
The air enchantment is simple and based off existing tech. I don't understand how you think it's new. It's magic. An enchantment. We don't have to precisely summon and dispose of gases. We just say "keep the air breathable. " That's what an enchantment does.

The design does not require a smaller steam engine. Arrows can't even pierce our personal armor.  You're just making things up at this point.

Lightning control can very easily be stopped by layered armor. You should read how their lightning circumvents the rod. We tried it once which helps us. That's how arms race works.

Lightning only blows up electricity-resistant crystal. Which is optional.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: June 28, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »

The lighting conductive crystal melts quickly, we should set up the cooling systems sandwiched between the armor layers to cool that off, unless you expect the lighting conductive crystal to just be ablative armor that burns off as it gets hit.

My issue is not with making a full IFV, but this is literally the first land combat vehicle being produced.  Trying to do everything with it seems like too much.  Drop the environmental stuff, take out the heavier cannon (the lighter one is a good idea) and we might be able to get away with a crew of 2 Pilots (apprentices), 2 gunners plus 6 passengers.

I do like many elements of your design compared to mine.

I was thinking of reviving the long range elemental control magic for our fireballs as well, it is clear that elemental magic can be controlled at great distances, or at least given more explicit directions at time of casting.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: June 28, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

You're being needlessly underambitious.

We know how to make land vehicles.
We know how to make effective crystal armor.
We know how to make the weapons.
We know how to make the engine.

We don't need to limit ourselves. We don't always need to take baby steps before going into effective designs. We can make the Protector.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: June 28, 2017, 06:32:48 pm »

We have an advantage in melee. When we engage in melee, we win more often. Of course, our advantage here is much smaller than our artillery advantage. If Moskurg introduces an infantry-helping design, then we lose our melee advantage. But the main problem is that a huge portion of our troops die before they make it to melee, decreasing the effect of our melee advantage.
We have a small advantage in melee. We win more often, but the margin isn't significant. We keep wasting a huge portion of our troops running into a fight where they have a small advantage rather than staying back behind cover killing the enemy infantry where said enemy infantry can't kill them back.

Rifles will greatly reduce the number of troops we lose attacking enemy infantry by reducing the distance they have to cover before they can engage with the enemy, by not putting them in range of the enemy infantry's weapons, and by letting them take cover from Moskurg's missiles and spells.

Rifles will greatly increase the amount of enemy infantry our troops can kill compared to their current melee weapons or an APC.

Developing the R2 would not only get us a general battlefield rifle for our troops to use, but also give us a true sniper rifle. Moskurg relies on its wizards to cast their lightning, their tornadoes, and to guide their ballista bolts. In all likelihood it'll be these wizards who will cast the spells which will counter our artillery. A proper sniper rifle would massively increase the amount of their wizards our men can kill, significantly reducing their anti-artillery spells and their regular stock of spells.

A sniper rifle would also significantly lower enemy morale by taking out their officers, greatly increase Myark's killing power, and keep our heir safe by keeping him back, as opposed to designing a vehicle meant solely to take him into the thick of a battle where we only hold a small advantage over the enemy. If we're particularly lucky, Myark, combined with our anti-wizard squads, will be able to finally kill Al-Mutriqa. Snipers would also mean we have better odds of taking out Moskurg's heir, especially compared to an APC.

Finally, developing the R2 will include the development of magnifying optics, which will be useful in scouting, spotting, and aiming in general. A very good invention to have.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:46:16 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: June 28, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »

We have a small advantage in melee. We win more often, but the margin isn't significant. We keep wasting a huge portion of our troops running into a fight where they have a small advantage rather than staying back behind cover killing the enemy infantry where said enemy infantry can't kill them back.
We have an advantage. That's my point. It's been clearly stated as a factor.
But it's been clearly started as a small factor because melees as a whole aren't as significant because of the fact that our soldiers (and theirs ) can barely get across no man's land alive. We've already made the battlefield largely like WW1 trenches. Our artillery does the shooting. We don't need a further long-rang advantage. That's for our archers and our artillery. We don't need to add to our artillery advantage even further and put all our eggs in one basket.

Rifles will greatly reduce the number of troops we lose attacking enemy infantry by reducing the distance they have to cover before they can engage with the enemy and by letting them take cover.
Artillery does that.

Rifles will greatly increase the amount of enemy infantry our troops can kill compared to their current melee weapons or an APC.
You're misunderstanding the point.
It doesn't matter how well our soldiers can kill Moskurgers. We need to get our soldiers there alive before they can start killing. And if your answer is "make it so they don't have to cross no man's land!" then that's literally what artillery does. We need to make new advantages, not add to existing ones.

Developing the R2 would not only get us a general battlefield rifle for our troops to use, but also give us a true sniper rifle. Moskurg relies on its wizards to cast their lightning, their tornadoes, and to guide their ballista bolts. In all likelihood it'll be these wizards who will cast the spells which will counter our artillery. A proper sniper rifle would massively increase the amount of their wizards our men can kill, significantly reducing their anti-artillery spells and their regular stock of spells.
We don't need a sniper rifle. We have extreme amounts of fairly accurate (but more importantly) and explosive artillery. It would be nice, but see my previous points. We need new advantages, not add to our artillery advantage. Artillery is "kill them from afar via shells". Sniper rifle is "kill them from afar via shells bullets".

A sniper rifle would also significantly lower enemy morale by taking out their officers, greatly increase Myark's killing power, and keep our heir safe by keeping him back, as opposed to designing a vehicle meant solely to take him into the thick of a battle where we only hold a small advantage over the enemy. If we're particularly lucky, Myark, combined with our anti-wizard squads, will be able to finally kill Al-Mutriqa. Snipers would also mean we have better odds of taking out Moskurg's heir, especially compared to an APC.
We already are doing very well at taking out their officers.
Via sniping.
But more importantly, via artillery. We have enough artillery to barrage entire swaths of lands and leave nothing left standing. We don't need to build on our artillery advantage right now. What if they make bunkers? What if they make their carpets able to dodge artillery? What if they deflect our shells with wind? What if they add wind dodging? What if they counter our artillery? We need advantages which don't just build on artillery.

Finally, developing the R2 will include the development of magnifying optics, which will be useful in scouting, spotting, and aiming in general. A very good invention to have.
Flares already serve that purpose very well. Optics could also very easily be done in a revision to the Combat Armor's visor, which is more useful than a scope.

My point is:
We already have a long-range ballistic advantage. Now we need to focus on our melee advantage. The problem is that regardless of how well our soldiers do in combat, so many of them die before combat that melee is a much smaller factor than it could be.
Rifles do not fix this. At best they just make our soldiers do a role that the artillery already does excellently and further puts more eggs in the same basket.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: June 28, 2017, 06:59:48 pm »

I'm going to vote for the AS-R2.
1. Because I really like the idea of snipers.
1b. Especially for killing their heir.
2. Because I'm tired of voting Chiefwaffles every single time. Cat Arstotzka will never develop under his iron rule.
3. Crystal optics! From there, we can do a spyglass system and improved crosshairs for our artillery in one revision.
4. Because we have a single land vehicle design that works on rails, massively simplifying things. We do have good crystal armor and artillery, but in order for me to vote for the Protector, I would need to see we have the prerequisites of additional land vehicle tech and the IDE.
5. Because this is also a melee advantage. Right now, the best weapon we have in melee... is an axe. A good axe, but still an axe. This is better. Once we finally get an APC, our melee will be even better.
6. If we do the IDE in a revision, I'll vote Protector next design phase. It's not too unfeasible to do the IDE in a revision: we have that engine credit and loads of engine experience and blast ball experience.

Glory to Arstotzka.
DESIGN
1 - AS-LFV-1 "Protector": Chiefwaffles
0 - AS-PSD-1 Kinetic Resistor "Blastshield":
2 - AS-R2: Andres, FallacyofUrist

The Kinetic Resistor is pretty intriguing, though. So much potential. So much protect prince.

Maybe we can just make better crystal armor, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: June 28, 2017, 07:20:26 pm »

1. We don't need snipers. We have artillery that literally carpets an area with bombs.
1b. (EDIT) ~OR~ we can revise crystal optics this turn then annihilate their heir and the surrounding area with artillery! Or send an overwhelming force of men to kill them all! Or both!
2. That's not a good reason!
2b. (EDIT2) Also the AS-R2 is actually my design. I posted it before this combat report and Andres just tweaked the magazine + Magegems. So you'd still be voting for me either way! Muwhahahahaha!
3. It's better to do that in a revision - we can get closer to iron man suits and cool tactical visors by adding what's essentially a zoom function to all combat armor!
4. When we tried to make a tracked APC (when Evicted temporarily misinterpreted the Restless design) we got a -1. This is without a land vehicle. Why do we need more experience?
5. The Protector is a melee advantage and a melee advantage is not going to help us if our soldiers die before they get into melee.
6. Andres' version of the AS-R2 literally requires another Magegem revision meaning no IDE this turn if we do it, and I don't think the IDE is worth it. We can implement our free engine upgrade in the Protector making it run on Blastballs, then later revise it to be piston-powered instead of turbine-powered. Bam. IDE.

C'moooon. Better soldiers won't matter if our soldiers die before they start fighting!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:23:27 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:27 pm »

archers
And that's another thing! Archers! Moskurg's adamantium means that archers simply aren't that useful anymore. It's just too tough to reliably pierce through. Swapping out our longbows with R2s will mean that we'll have a considerable percentage of our infantry having a much needed combat boost, once more allowing them to have significant effect against the enemy.

It doesn't matter how well our soldiers can kill Moskurgers. We need to get our soldiers there alive before they can start killing. And if your answer is "make it so they don't have to cross no man's land!" then that's literally what artillery does.
You keep maintaining this contradictory stance. It's either "Our infantry need to kill Moskurgs, but they have to go over no man's land to do so. Let's give them APCs to do that" or "Our infantry don't need to kill Moskurgs. Our artillery kills the Moskurgs for them", but not both.

Currently, our infantry DO need to kill Moskurgs and thus DO need to cross no man's land, getting hit by the enemy as they run across it. Better the R2 than the APC because while they might both reduce no man's land casualties in their own way, the R2 almost completely does away with melee casualties whereas an APC will at most reduce them.
EDIT: The R2 will also result in more Moskurg deaths than an APC as well.

What if they counter our artillery? We need advantages which don't just build on artillery.
I mentioned the possibility of them countering our artillery in my argument. They will in all likelihood do so by having their wizards cast a spell. An R2 - a proper sniper rifle that's accurate beyond Moderate range - will significantly increase our men's ability to do so. Not only that, but it'll cut down on them casting other spells as well, spells like the lightning which their carpet wizards continue to cast.

Flares already serve that purpose very well.
This idea of "we have flares, so it's not that important to get optics" is so ludicrous I'm not going to waste any breath arguing over it. If that's not what you meant, I apologise, but please choose your words more carefully next time.

Optics could also very easily be done in a revision to the Combat Armor's visor, which is more useful than a scope.
A waste of a Revision. It's more efficient to get magnifying optics as part of the R2, then we can just retrofit it into our visors.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:30:36 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: June 28, 2017, 07:37:17 pm »

And that's another thing! Archers! Moskurg's adamantium means that archers simply aren't that useful anymore. It's just too tough to reliably pierce through. Swapping out our longbows with R2s will mean that we'll have a considerable percentage of our infantry having a much needed combat boost, once more allowing them to have significant effect against the enemy.
Or we can just use artillery.

You keep maintaining this contradictory stance. It's either "Our infantry need to kill Moskurgs, but they have to go over no man's land to do so. Let's give them APCs to do that" or "Our infantry don't need to kill Moskurgs. Our artillery kills the Moskurgs for them", but not both.

Currently, our infantry DO need to kill Moskurgs and thus DO need to cross no man's land, getting hit by the enemy as they run across it. Better the R2 than the APC because while they might both reduce no man's land casualties in their own way, the R2 almost completely does away with melee casualties whereas an APC will at most reduce them.

The APC, if successful (which isn't a disadvantage. This is true for all designs, including the R2), will completely eliminate casualties on no man's land. The R2 does not protect our soldiers from Lightning (which immediately kills at range and is accurate) or Tornadoes (stated by Evicted to be the #1 killer of our men) or sniper Ballistae (which can easily kill men in combat armor and is super-super-accurate).
This is what's killing our men. At most, the AS-R2 helps a bit against them but it's unrealistic to expect soldiers equipped with AS-R2 to be able to immediately snipe any mage casting killing spells. If this was true, then we'd have won the game with artillery already.

Or you can take it from Evicted himself.
Charging across no-man's land is still pretty lethal for both sides despite their new armor

I mentioned the possibility of them countering our artillery in my argument. They will in all likelihood do so by having their wizards cast a spell. An R2 - a proper sniper rifle that's accurate beyond Moderate range - will significantly increase our men's ability to do so. Not only that, but it'll cut down on them casting other spells as well, spells like the lightning which their carpet wizards continue to cast.
That's literally what our artillery is already doing. This won't help in any way because it's already being done excellently.

This idea of "we have flares, so it's not that important to get optics" is so ludicrous I'm not going to waste any breath arguing over it.
That's not what I said. But let me restate my point then.
It's important to get optics, but not important enough to go with an inferior design just to kind of of get optics in a package deal. Our artillery is already effective at BLOS+1 ranges (which we will not be able to get the AS-R2 to.)

Also, fun fact, that I'm emphasizing because this is really important.
The AS-R2 is (best case scenario since this is increasing its effective range by +2 and we've never done that before) at Extreme range. Moskurg's Ballistae (and every useful spell) are at Extreme range. Ballistae can literally snipe soldiers. Lightning can snipe soldiers and can be done from BLOS. Tornadoes are at Extreme range. Snipers aren't useful if they're the same range as the enemy's good weapons.[/b]

A waste of a Revision. It's more efficient to get magnifying optics as part of the R2, then we can just retrofit it into our visors.
Not possible because this is not how retrofitting works. Retrofitting is if we upgrade a design already used somewhere else or if we make something very similar to an existing design used somewhere else, or if we make something that another design that we already included slots for in another design.

If we make a crystal scope, we'd have to fit it into a visor shape and add additional functionality so the soldiers can activate and deactivate it at will.

EDIT: For those who don't feel like reading through even more quote-by-quote arguments, here's a short summary of my points:

The AS-R2 fulfills two roles.
Role one: Sniper. The problem here though is that our artillery already does this better than the best case AS-R2. Artillery is much longer-ranged, more widespread, has explosive ammo, and can carpet an entire area with explosives. The AS-R2 is at Extreme range, where they can be sniped by Moskurg's literal sniper Ballistae (which would beat the AS-R2 in accuracy), lightning, or tornadoes. And the latter two can even be casted from BLOS on their airships where the best possible AS-R2 can't reach them.

Role two: Infantry weapon. The problem here (other than the fact that it's Expensive) is that it doesn't matter how good our infantry if they die before reaching the battle. This was said by Evicted to be a thing. And if your answer to this is "well we can just snipe them before they shoot us!" then 1.) Our artillery literally already does that and 2.) See "Role one".

Sorry if this edit ninjas someone's post in response to mine.

EDIT2: Two things.

1.) @RAM and his criticism of the Blastshield: Yeah, that's why I decided against it ultimately. It only helps against Ballistae. But the main point of the Blastshield is to pave the way for force-manipulation, allowing power armor and other cool things.
2.) The AS-R2 has two points of failure unlike practically any other design. It relies on a successful Magegem revision to work at all. So if we don't get the Design and Revision right, the AS-R2 won't work properly. This is a minor point hence the edit, but it still matters. Sorry again if this edit ninjas anything.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:48:04 pm by Chiefwaffles »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: June 28, 2017, 07:48:41 pm »

I'm going to vote for the Protector.  I am convinced we will need to use a revision to pull stuff out and rework it but even then it is a better idea. 

For the rifle, firing speed isn't the real issue right now, it is cost and accuracy.

DESIGN
2 - AS-LFV-1 "Protector": Chiefwaffles, voidslayer

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: June 28, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »

For the rifle, firing speed isn't the real issue right now, it is cost and accuracy.
Read into the design. The R2 isn't just RoF, it also aims to improve upon the accuracy of the R1 and give it a scope. That solves the accuracy. The improvement of rate of fire also makes up for the lack of decreased cost. It's still more bullets downrange, it's just that the increase is due to better guns rather than more guns. It's probably even the superior option in this regard as the resighting our troops will have to do won't be as severe.

DESIGN
2 - AS-LFV-1 "Protector": Chiefwaffles, voidslayer

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:00:53 pm by Andres »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »

Anyways, are there any specific changes anyone want me to make to the Protector?

And what do people think of using our AS-HAC-1 knowledge to make a crystal-armored HC1-E turret (kiiiiiiind of like a tank cannon) and drop the AS-HAC-1? Probably increases complexity since AS-HAC-1 and AS-HC1-E implementations in current design are mostly just "throw them in" but this is a whole new turret that we haven't known before. But less ammunition to be stored and more space.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: June 28, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »

I just think the Protector's too ambitious without an IDE. We got a -1 for a tracked vehicle. A non-tracked one...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:53 pm »

Sorry, my fault.

When we originally designed the Restless, Evicted misinterpreted the design and thought by "track" we meant caterpillar treads (like the ones on tanks) instead of railroad tracks. So he made a design based on that and we got a -1 for trying to make a treaded vehicle with zero experience ever making a powered land vehicle before. (EDIT: This is relative to the Restless design, which I think got some penalties too. But the Restless was harder since it was our first engine-powered land vehicle.)

Now we have the experience of a land vehicle and are trying to make a wheeled vehicle. It's not a stretch at all. We've been using the Restless for some time now and jumping from a track-based land vehicle to a free-moving wheel-based one is a perfectly logical step.
I feel a bit like you're basing this too much on a "our first 'actual' land vehicle!"-milestone and thus it should be hard, instead of a logical step from our train.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:51:54 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 301