Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375671 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3630 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »

It cancels all their weather magic by creating it in their weather magic. It's an actual spell for our mages. It's not that difficult if you use fog as a base(but the proposal doesn't include that), but that's what revisions are for.

Even if we use fog as a base, wind won't work on it. If a wind spell is cast on it, the mind will strike the mage casting the wind spell.

It's much more useful than the titan, and to some degree more likely to succeed.

Please vote for it. We need to diversify, and now is the perfect time to do so.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: July 06, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »

The Titan has been properly dumped. But there is still the Aethergem. Which would not be a terrible design except that the Gemerator is purely superior. Please never vote for the popular choice just because it is popular. It means that you will never be free to choose what you actually want.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: July 06, 2017, 05:21:27 pm »

I still say we should work on summoning incorporeal monstrosities.  Now is the time to work on a while new school of magic.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »

The Titan has been properly dumped. But there is still the Aethergem. Which would not be a terrible design except that the Gemerator is purely superior. Please never vote for the popular choice just because it is popular. It means that you will never be free to choose what you actually want.

Well that's a wee bit condescending.

My vote goes to the Aethergem over the Gemerator for a couple reasons. The first, and least relevant, is that a tie needed to be broken. However, even without that factor, the Aethergems can be installed into all existing mage gem using devices without changing their function in any way or changing the design in any way. They are gem based magical capacitors- with the added benefit of auto-recharging. The Gemerator itself lacks capacitance, which means that some additional support structure, as noted in the design, must be created in order for the gemerator to run basically anything.

It's not that I think the Gemerator is a bad design, it's that I think the Aethergem is better suited to address the immediate problem with as few kinks as possible.

I still say we should work on summoning incorporeal monstrosities.  Now is the time to work on a while new school of magic.

Honestly, my main qualm with it, and the reason I voted for Aethergems, was the lack of design specificity in terms of how it hunts, how intelligent it is, etc.  With a bit more text in the box I could easily go for it.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: July 06, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »

Target expense is Expensive (though Cheap would be super duper nice.) Expense should be made somewhat easier thanks to the Crystalworks Mk. 2 and the fact that we make Magegems out of Crystal Glass now.
This bit needs to be removed.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: July 06, 2017, 06:11:06 pm »

Done. I must of missed that bit earlier.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: July 06, 2017, 06:50:45 pm »

Mind of Madness, Revised(a):
For once, we're actually making a spell for our mages. It has three main components.

One is creating a chunk of fog. Easy.
Two, the new part, is imbuing a malignant mind into the fog, making it the Mind. It's a very simple intelligence, simpler than a wasp, but it should still give us more experience with AI. It's like a wasp brain, except made of magical fog.
Three, another new part, is giving that mind the ability to attack other minds. It can't attack any mind unless it comes into contact with that mind... for instance, if a Moskurgian mage controls weather, and a Mind of Madness is within that spell, the Moskurgian mage projecting his mind into the weather will be struck by the Mind of Madness. We can manipulate minds already complexly, based off our falcons. Striking a mind should be simpler. The new part here is detecting a projecting mind. It's simple: a mage's projected mind should give off a magical presence, which we can detect magically.

With the use of fog, this is actually a relatively simple design, perhaps about as complicated as the Aethergem. It may have some issues, mainly because of the complexity of infusing a mind, even a simple one, into fog, but we do have two revisions. Hopefully we won't need to use either of them.

If this succeeds, we will be able to completely counter Mokurgian weather magic and divination magic, both of which rely on sending out a mind. Possibly, this may even counter their anti magic if it projects a mind also, but that's less certain.

This may be a hard counter, and as much as some of us hate counter chains, we have a high advantage right now, and if we neutralize Moskurg's own core spells, we may win this war shortly. Glory to Arstotzka. Finally, note that the Aethergem is not terribly useful on the field, and while it may develop to something useful, it won't be useful immediately, preventing us from pressing our advantage.

I propose that votes for the Mind of Madness should also count for this. People want the Mind of Madness, one way or another. After the Mind of Madness passes, we should also vote on which version we want.

2 - AS-R2: Andres, helmacon
4 - The Mind of Madness: RAM, VoidSlayer, FallacyofUrist, helmacon
- ? VoidSlayer's version: ?
- ? Fallacy's version: ?
0 - Demondium:
1 - AS-LFV-2 "Titan": Chiefwaffles
1 - Weightite: RAM
1 - Celestedemorte: RAM
1 - Living magic: RAM
2 - AS-AMA "Manticore": helmacon, RAM
5 - Aethergem: Chiefwaffles, Kadzar, Andrea, Andres, Draignean
1 - RAM-MAP-943 "Pashmad" Mobile Artillery Position: RAM
1 - Gemerators: RAM
1 - Summon large, dangerous plant: RAM

Trader:
1 - Just give him Crystal Lances, Crystal Axes, and one of our many squad-destroying Wands of Fireball, if he can learn to use it: FallacyofUrist

Hopefully my more specific proposal will attract you over to something that can actually press our advantage.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: July 06, 2017, 07:05:09 pm »

Hey! You can't just change the rules on a whim like that! Designs should be voted as-is. It's very unfair to try to change the rules just so you can get what you want.

(EDIT: On second thought, I don't really care as much about this. As long as people don't do anything crazy like making their vote worth more COUGHRAMCOUGH I won't really object.)

With the use of fog, this is actually a relatively simple design, perhaps about as complicated as the Aethergem. It may have some issues, mainly because of the complexity of infusing a mind, even a simple one, into fog, but we do have two revisions. Hopefully we won't need to use either of them.
How the hell is this a "relatively simple design"? That is some insane stretching.

We are making a living thing out of fog. We'll be lucky if we can even make it living, let alone be able to attack other minds. A living thing out of fog! Right now, we know how to:
A.) Make simple modifications to simple physical brains for basic training such as "us good, them bad".
B.) Summon copies of existing living things, such as wasps.

This does not "relatively easily" translate into making an intelligence, however simple it may be, out of fog then giving it the ability to somehow magically attack the minds of other magic users. (EDIT:) We could maybe do a theoretical-style "fog intelligence" design if we really wanted to, but now's the worst time for theoretical designs.

If this succeeds, we will be able to completely counter Mokurgian weather magic and divination magic, both of which rely on sending out a mind. Possibly, this may even counter their anti magic if it projects a mind also, but that's less certain.
It will not completely counter Moskurger weather and divination magic.
I cover on this below too, but I will address it here.

Evicted will not let us, even if we roll three 6s on this design and devote multiple revisions to it, completely counter Moskurg's whole shtick.
This is the equivalent of the following:
Moskurg: I hit you with my wind attack!
Arstotzka: Nuh-uh! I have a wind attack shield! I'm immune to wind attacks!
Moskurg: I hit you with my anti-shield wind attack!
Except we will not be able to void Moskurg's magic in one turn, and even if we do, Moskurg will spend way less effort at undoing then we spent in doing it.

This may be a hard counter, and as much as some of us hate counter chains, we have a high advantage right now, and if we neutralize Moskurg's own core spells, we may win this war shortly. Glory to Arstotzka. Finally, note that the Aethergem is not terribly useful on the field, and while it may develop to something useful, it won't be useful immediately, preventing us from pressing our advantage.
1.) The Aethergem is useful immediately. It greatly increases the amount of magitech we can field by a lot. Again, right now if we devoted every single mage we had to manning HA1s, we'd only be manning a third of them. Every single new spell or piece of magitech will make this worse. We can pre-emptively stop this with the Aethergem.
2.) In addition to potentially tripling the amount of HA1s we can field as well as other magitech, the Aethergem is nearly vital for future designs, but see #1.
3.) Hard counters are just not a good idea. They're not.

Let me give you a rundown of what will happen:
1.) We spend a design and multiple revisions making this hard counter.
2.) Moskurg will spend their design and revision making something else actually helping them.
3.) If the hard counter works and if Moskurg's likely-non-hard-counter doesn't work, then we will win for exactly one combat phase.
4.) Moskurg will spend a revision undoing our design + revisions while they make their other revision.

Moskurg will essentially get a free design. All this so we can potentially counter their wind magic for one turn.

Furthermore, massive hard counters don't work.
What Moskurg did last combat phase was clearly an attempted hard counter, and they spent a design on it. Yet we still won using artillery. Our hard counter will not magically make their weather magic useless because Evicted cares about balance. It will, again, be giving Moskurg a free design.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:17:40 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »

That is fair, although you said yourself that you were influenced by a desire to break the tie. "Strategic" voting is one of these things that plagues voting systems. It bizarrely plagues preferential systems where it should be mostly a fallacy(Although political parties using voting recommendations in order to have a bargaining commodity even if they don't win anything is somewhat plausible.) and it is more prevalent in clearly "first past the post" systems where it can actually influence things directly. ... This is something that I may get a bit aggressive about, and I apologise for that. I endlessly want to rant about voting flaws and I can't imagine that many want to hear it. So sorry for overstating the issue.

However, even without that factor, the Aethergems can be installed into all existing mage gem using devices without changing their function in any way or changing the design in any way.
This, however, I believe to be incorrect. The Gemerators ought to be perfectly capable of recharging magems. Thus, it is as compatible with the current system as the current system is. we just pass the magems onto gemerator-powered recharging circuits instead of apprentices. The aethergems on the other hand, hybridise. If they can achieve useful levels of recharging without losing effective storage capacity, then excellent. If, however, they have lower capacity than a magem, then they likely will not be compatible with our cannons, which require a certain level of power in order to fire, and the aethergems may not have the storage for a single shot. If that were the case, then we are back to recharging arrays for magems, but the recharging arrays are weaker because the powering device is less focused in its purpose. If, on the other hand, the aethergems do not lose any storage capacity, then we can only assume that their generating capacity is much lower that what the gemerators would have been, because they presumably need to make some sort of sacrifice to maintain dual functions. You can only fit so many circuits and spells into a gem before it runs out of space or magic, or explodes... So the aethergems lose you the extremely high-end generating capacities. Lots of times we have withnessed designs that suggest entire rooms of magems. Most of these would be entirely replaces with generators. If the generators were aethergems then they need more of them because storage is basically an insignificant issue and generation is the whole point. I am very confident that most uses where you would actually want to incorporate an aether gem into the design you are primarily seeking generation capacity, and such you will be wasting a massive amount of storage capacity that you never needed.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 06, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh to be so sheltered from the greater depths (or heights?) that I could think these things could so easily be explained.  What the spell pulls is not some intelligence made from the things of this world, but something from outside, where the power we wield originates, for good or ill.

It is meant to be a somewhat new area of magic, not summoning existing living or non living things but instead that which should not be.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 06, 2017, 07:50:39 pm »

That is fair, although you said yourself that you were influenced by a desire to break the tie. "Strategic" voting is one of these things that plagues voting systems. It bizarrely plagues preferential systems where it should be mostly a fallacy(Although political parties using voting recommendations in order to have a bargaining commodity even if they don't win anything is somewhat plausible.) and it is more prevalent in clearly "first past the post" systems where it can actually influence things directly. ... This is something that I may get a bit aggressive about, and I apologise for that. I endlessly want to rant about voting flaws and I can't imagine that many want to hear it. So sorry for overstating the issue.

It's okay, I just wanted you to realize how you sound, and how difficult it makes giving you a fair shake after the fact.

This, however, I believe to be incorrect. The Gemerators ought to be perfectly capable of recharging magems. Thus, it is as compatible with the current system as the current system is. we just pass the magems onto gemerator-powered recharging circuits instead of apprentices. The aethergems on the other hand, hybridise. If they can achieve useful levels of recharging without losing effective storage capacity, then excellent. If, however, they have lower capacity than a magem, then they likely will not be compatible with our cannons, which require a certain level of power in order to fire, and the aethergems may not have the storage for a single shot. If that were the case, then we are back to recharging arrays for magems, but the recharging arrays are weaker because the powering device is less focused in its purpose. If, on the other hand, the aethergems do not lose any storage capacity, then we can only assume that their generating capacity is much lower that what the gemerators would have been, because they presumably need to make some sort of sacrifice to maintain dual functions. You can only fit so many circuits and spells into a gem before it runs out of space or magic, or explodes... So the aethergems lose you the extremely high-end generating capacities. Lots of times we have withnessed designs that suggest entire rooms of magems. Most of these would be entirely replaces with generators. If the generators were aethergems then they need more of them because storage is basically an insignificant issue and generation is the whole point. I am very confident that most uses where you would actually want to incorporate an aether gem into the design you are primarily seeking generation capacity, and such you will be wasting a massive amount of storage capacity that you never needed.

I admit, I'm not sure whether our mage-gems are removed from their circuit structure when they're charged by the apprentices, which makes a small, but not insignificant difference in my calculations.

To me, the difference is one of scale and time.

Your generators (Sorry, I'm going to refuse to call the gemerators, the pun is too terrible :P), combined with the existing mage gems, I think would indeed be better suited to long term development of large vessels. Boats, tanks, perhaps even an aircraft would greatly benefit from a system of high-power generators + large capacitors instead of midline capacitor that are midline generators. It's important to note that I disagree with you on generators being able to entirely replace mage-gems. Most of our uses of magegems release relatively large amounts of power at once, (to power an artillery shell through the air, for instance), and that's something a generator can't do by itself. A truck with a diesel engine can take half-ton boulder and drive it from Denver to New York, but it can't fling it 100 meters without some method of storing that energy in the meantime. If I thought this war would last another thirty years, even twenty, I'd side with you. However, I don't think that's the case.

CF's recharging gems I think will find their best realization on smaller objects, such as improved rifles and powered armor- objects which are impractical to bring back to a generator frequently, but they'll suffice for powering the artillery. Increased capacitance on most designs lends itself well to strong alpha-strikes and periodic rally movements where the cannons burn through their extra energy with a greater rate of fire. Moreover, they're capable of being mounted into parts of design that are unreachable, allowing them to be mounted under superior armor. On that same note, the distribution of power generation throughout multiple gems increases the robustness of larger designs- a strike that would disable a generator might only disable a small portion of a well spaces network of aethergems.

Again, it's not that CF's design is somehow intrinsically filled with awesomesauce and yours is bad, it's that I think his has better prospects for ending this war within a short term.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh to be so sheltered from the greater depths (or heights?) that I could think these things could so easily be explained.  What the spell pulls is not some intelligence made from the things of this world, but something from outside, where the power we wield originates, for good or ill.

It is meant to be a somewhat new area of magic, not summoning existing living or non living things but instead that which should not be.

And now I'm really hung.

On the one hand there's a practical tech that could help deploy crushing artillery force and end the war, and on the other hand... Cthulhu.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:14 pm »

I recognize the need to man all our artillery. That would be nice, except Moskurg's going to complete their artillery counter next turn, and then where will we be? Mind of Madness will stop that artillery counter and let us push forwards.

Question: Does the Aethergem include a means of using it to power a HA1? Will it even generate enough power to do so, repeatedly?

If the Mind of Madness won't stop Moskurgian magic completely, that's what our revisions are for. If we have two of them, we could likely stop Moskurg's magic in its tracks. I think we can win this game if we go this route.

Balance, balance. Odds are it'll work, but Evicted will make it Very Expensive. That's okay, we can send Myark to the desert to use it.

Moskurg's likely non-hard-counter... I think they're going to complete their Winds of Ruin to neutralize our artillery first. If we have the mind of madness, we can preemptively counter their upgrade.

What does it matter if we get into a counter chain? We're currently superior, if Moskurg spends all their time countering us, we'll take their homeland in the meantime. Also, I don't think one revision will suffice to kill the Mind of Madness, because balance.

Their attempted hard counter would have worked if we didn't have improved-ranged shells.
Generic Arms Race.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 06, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »

Mind of madness is basically summoning ghost wasps. When you think about how we have regular wasps, and fire wasps already, ghost wasps aren't that big of a stretch.

Edit: I should also mention that we are already winning the artillery game. More artillery would be nice, but not a game changer. Furthermore, if they counter our artillery with the wind spell, more artillery won't make a difference.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:01:29 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »

Upon consideration, some examples might help illustrate the situation. A hypothetical magem(M) has a capacity of 10. A hypothetical Aethergem(E) has a capacity of 9 and a generation of 9 per hour. A hypothetical gemerator(G) has a generation of 10 per hour.
A rifle has a shot cost of 1, it can fire 10 times with a M and that M can be recharged in a day with a G. An E instead would fire 9 times quickly, then again in a few minute's time. The magem is basically better because you want more volley fire and can carry a spare M if we need more shots. The E does offer a higher rate of fire if you insit upon not recharging and don't mind waiting twenty minutes, but the G does recharging better if you can afford to get to a recharger, which ought to be pretty convenient unless you are off in the boonies where you don't want to be shooting dozens of times anyway because you will give away your position and we can send an apprentice along, at admittedly great personal risk...

A big cannon has a shot cost of ten, the E simply doesn't work here. You need your recharging station and magem regardless, and the G is better at that.

A slightly smaller cannon has a shot cost of 9, the E can fire once per hour, the G+M can fire a little faster than that. And you need multiples regardless if you want to fire at a decent pace.

An Engine requires a capacity of ten and a cost of 100 per minute. That can be one M and 60 G, or 67 A.

Except for the rifle example the G is strictly superior. In the case of very small things it is a matter of magem availability(Aethergems are likely more complex and thus less available than equivalent magems, but that is pure speculation) and charging station difficulty(Which again, is speculation, but it is just a gemerator, which is a gem, thus not likely to be cumbersome, and a circuit, again, not likely to be cumbersome.). This assumes that the aethergem is very nearly equal to magems in capacity and gemerators in generation. That is a very unlikely scenario. It seems, in my personal opinion,  more likely that the gemerator would have about twice the generating capacity and the aethergem will have equal storage capacity. So a 10 capacity and 5 generation per hour using the initial examples' format. Whic is nice, but really drives home how well the gemerators would work when generation is needed well in excess of capacity.

Hey! You can't just change the rules on a whim like that! Designs should be voted as-is. It's very unfair to try to change the rules just so you can get what you want.
troll confirmed, or at least a complete lack of self-awareness. The number of times Chiefwaffles has changed a design after people have already voted for it is ridiculous. If "you have already voted for it but it is different now but *I* think it is better like this so of course you still want to vote for it" is fair game but "These designs are extremely similar, so people who vote for one reasonably want to vote for the other over the alternatives" is not then I am going back to voting with big numbers. If there iszero consistency then I can live with that, but you don't want to see where that ends...

How the hell is this a "relatively simple design"? That is some insane stretching.
It is not insane to think that extrapolating "summon a mobile mental effect" from "Summon things with mental abilities" and "mental effect" is relatively simple in a world where extrapolating "animal grows big" from "plant grows quickly" is relatively simple...
We are making a living thing out of fog. We'll be lucky if we can even make it living, let alone be able to attack other minds. A living thing out of fog! Right now, we know how to:
A.) Make simple modifications to simple physical brains for basic training such as "us good, them bad".
B.) Summon copies of existing living things, such as wasps.
B is untrue. They are not copies. The fire wasps demonstrated that we can modify our summons and that we can summon things that do not exist.
A is also untrue, we modified minds. The mind and the brain are different things. It appears that the mind is a product of the brain, although you will get disagreements on that point. However, the mind and the brain are not the same thing and with magic flying around their properties do not need to be solely matched to one another.
This does not "relatively easily" translate into making an intelligence, however simple it may be, out of fog then giving it the ability to somehow magically attack the minds of other magic users.
It doesn't need much intelligence, it just needs to detect minds and attack them, which is what the wasps do. It doesn't even need to attack, it can just naturally radiate a scrambled taming effect.
We could maybe do a theoretical-style "fog intelligence" design if we really wanted to, but now's the worst time for theoretical designs.
Now is an EXCELLENT time for theory. We have the time to pull it off and they may do something to turn around the current situation. We can go for a quick win, and maybe fail, and be back to the struggle, or come out with advanced theories and get a secure win further down the line.

But if you want a living spell option, then I provided one...

It will not completely counter Moskurger weather and divination magic.
I cover on this below too, but I will address it here.

Evicted will not let us, even if we roll three 6s on this design and devote multiple revisions to it, completely counter Moskurg's whole shtick.
This is a lie. Evicted let their antimagic completely negate our conjuration, all of our starter "spells" and everything derived from them. Evicted then let them make temperature-proof metal that radiated pleasant temperatures, thus completely negating all of our starter "wand" and everything derived from it. We, after a VERY long time, PARTIALLY countered their hard-counter to conjuration. Their hard-counter to fireball and frost towers is alive and well and seems to be without any easy counter. You want maybe to do rust magic? New schools are easy! Just remember the plants.

Yopur entire argument os COMPLETELY without foundation. You are MAKING-UP EVERYTHING!
This is the equivalent of the following:
Moskurg: I hit you with my wind attack!
Arstotzka: Nuh-uh! I have a wind attack shield! I'm immune to wind attacks!
Moskurg: I hit you with my anti-shield wind attack!
Except we will not be able to void Moskurg's magic in one turn, and even if we do, Moskurg will spend way less effort at undoing then we spent in doing it.
A: I hit you with my fire attack!
M: Nuh-uh! I have a literal actual practical temperature-proof shield! I'm immune to fire attacks!
A: I hit you with my foul language!

Or perhaps I should just suggest that you are trying to make armoured cars that are a hard-counter to everything that Moskurg can throw at them. I am sure that I have seem various synonyms of "completely immune" being thrown about in the titan and protector's favour. Honestly, there is zero credibility to be found here.

1.) The Aethergem is useful immediately.
Assuming that it still has the required capacity.
It greatly increases the amount of magitech we can field by a lot.
Assuming that it has the generation ability to do so.
Again, right now if we devoted every single mage we had to manning HA1s, we'd only be manning a third of them.
This is true, and it is why the Aethergems are not bad. Though they are still inferior to the alternatives.
Every single new spell or piece of magitech will make this worse.
We could become less reliant upon gems, I mean, it is completely ridiculous to imagine it in reality, but in WandRWorld sound attacks will shatter crystals, gems included. We need some alternatives to all these crystals.
3.) Hard counters are just not a good idea. They're not.
You are simply wrong here. They keep hard-countering us. It keeps working for them. You are just, simply, wrong.

Let me give you a rundown of what will happen:
1.) We spend a design and multiple revisions making this hard counter.
2.) Moskurg will spend their design and revision making something else actually helping them.
3.) If the hard counter works and if Moskurg's likely-non-hard-counter doesn't work, then we will win for exactly one combat phase.
4.) Moskurg will spend a revision undoing our design + revisions while they make their other revision.
Waaaay too many assumptions about how easy everything is. Plenty of hard counters are well beyond the scope of revision to fix. Please provide us with the revision that will get frost towers AND fireballs working against adamantine. It hard-countered both, lets see the simple revision to undo it!
Furthermore, massive hard counters don't work.
What Moskurg did last combat phase was clearly an attempted hard counter, and they spent a design on it. Yet we still won using artillery. Our hard counter will not magically make their weather magic useless because Evicted cares about balance. It will, again, be giving Moskurg a free design.
Blatantly untrue. They put a design into using wind to resist, not hard-counter, our bullets. And it worked. We are currently outranged by the enemy, they can attack us with impunity. We could spend a design on weightite to overcome it, but that is a design. A revision of "shoot more good" will not overcome this new wind magic.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: July 06, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »

It's... not summoning ghost wasps.
It's summoning an omnipresent fogmind able to drive wizards that cast spells in it crazy and to magically detect when wizards cast spells. When all we know how to do is A.) Make fog and B.) Make copies of already living creatures (with some simple modifications like "tons of fire") and C.) Simple modifications to simple existing physical minds.

Oh, and if it's made of fog, can't it be blown away? Because right now our method of making our mist relatively resistant to their wind is continuously generating it, which wouldn't exactly work that well if we're making a mind out of fog. And before you say "but it'd drive the wizard mad!" can't they just summon wind in front of it which then just blows it away?

I recognize the need to man all our artillery. That would be nice, except Moskurg's going to complete their artillery counter next turn, and then where will we be? Mind of Madness will stop that artillery counter and let us push forwards.
Not if we fix the Protector, which uses canons. And it's going to be exponentially harder for them to increase the effectiveness of the spell.

Question: Does the Aethergem include a means of using it to power a HA1? Will it even generate enough power to do so, repeatedly?

"Will it even generate enough power to do so, repeatedly?"
This is a matter of time. The Aethergem is not a battery. It generates power. It will generate enough power. Worst case scenario (other than really awful rolls of course) is that a practical amount of Aethergems isn't enough to power the HA1.
In which case, we still decrease the amount of apprentices it needs to man a HA1, still greatly increasing the number of artillery pieces we can field.

And at this moment our tech uses circuits, which are extraordinarily simple to power via Magegems, and thus Aethergems. HA1 emplacements don't explicitly have slots for Magegems, but we can very easily jury-rig a way to use Aethergems with HA1s, even if that means gluing them to the barrel.

But we also have lots of tech already using Magegems, and thus lots of tech which we can easily use Aethergems into without any existing consideration. The Crystalclad, for example, is already suffering from a lack of apprentices where not every ship is getting enough apprentices.
The Protector uses Magegems.
Crystalworks uses Magegems.
AS-R1 uses Magegems.
etc.

If the Mind of Madness won't stop Moskurgian magic completely, that's what our revisions are for. If we have two of them, we could likely stop Moskurg's magic in its tracks. I think we can win this game if we go this route.
Honestly, some small part of me wants Mind of Madness to win so I can be proven right. But I'd rather have Aethergems win in the first place so I don't have to be proven right. Because it seems like I just can't convince you any other way.
Since 1.) The Protector is broken and needs a single revision to fix it. 2.) The Protector and AS-R1 are nearly useless close-up (where the Protector should be) because of their anti-magic; we can revise anti-magic resistance in.
And it's always a good idea to not have to use Revisions to fix a Design.

Balance, balance. Odds are it'll work, but Evicted will make it Very Expensive. That's okay, we can send Myark to the desert to use it.
See top part in response to the quote before this one.

Moskurg's likely non-hard-counter... I think they're going to complete their Winds of Ruin to neutralize our artillery first. If we have the mind of madness, we can preemptively counter their upgrade.
See above. It's going to get exponentially harder for Moskurg to counter our artillery with that spell.

Decreasing the velocity of shells mid-flight to reduce their range is one thing. But as they try to get closer our shells will have more and more velocity, making it even harder for them to counter it. They're never going to completely counter our artillery.
And if they did, we have revisions too.

What does it matter if we get into a counter chain? We're currently superior, if Moskurg spends all their time countering us, we'll take their homeland in the meantime. Also, I don't think one revision will suffice to kill the Mind of Madness, because balance.
I mentioned why it was bad multiple times, actually.

In a counter chain, Moskurg wins.
Why? Because we spend a design to make it, and they can spend a revision to undo it. We lose a design, they lose a revision; who wins?

And watch!
Fake Moskurger Revision: Mindshield
Our mages work, using our mind magic that we have extensive experience in, to collectively shield their minds from outside attacks.

This is a revision of our current mindmagic to simply make it work with multiple people at once. It sacrifices things like mind-reading to simply make minds link, making them stronger against attack.

Fake Moskurger Revision: Fans
Our stupid acrobat Heir has figured out another mundane use of our magic - fans! We simply use wind magic amplified by a device to make giant streams of air from a distance! It's merely an enchanted piece of our stupid unthermodynamic metal adamantium!
We can use this to blow away their mist easily without exposing our minds.

Fake Moskurger Revision: Mindshield Variant B
We use our experience in mind magic to simply revise a variant of Read Mind to "Strengthen Mind", allowing one to resist attacks.

And so on.

(In response to ninja post)

RAM, remember how I said you constantly make up things?
It's somehow getting even more blatant.

EDIT: After making the mistake of skimming through some of RAM's post:
Their hard counters haven't worked. Notice how we're still winning via artillery even though they spent a design and revision on an artillery hard counter? And notice how we haven't even bothered to try undoing their frost tower hard counter.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:22:14 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 301