Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375649 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3720 on: July 09, 2017, 03:52:31 am »

@helmacon: I'm unsure about that. If we get a 1 on that we may just be giving up the desert when there was a chance
Though maybe we can roll normally and not at a disadvantage? I'm not particularly in the mood to go looking for precedence, but I'm somewhat certain that evicted only rolls orders at a disadvantage when they're using equipment in a purpose not intended for by the equipment.

If people want me to stop these rants then all they have to do is acknowledge that Chiefwaffles is attacking me in an unjust fashion and with inaccurate statements.
Poor little RAM!

Wait. I just...
I just realized something.
It has very real and very important consequences and has killed a great many people. I am right to demand that you recant your lies about me. It would be evil of me to just ignore this sort of treatment. I like to think that I would do the same if you were mistreating someone else in the same way.
In the above quote RAM actually seriously compares my arguing with actual serious real life cases of slander severe enough to be labeled "killing people" and... well. It's actually pretty funny, this quote. I'd recommend reading this one. Bonus points for irony.
I am not wrong, as evidenced by your lack of evidence and reasoning.
SOMEBODY needs to denounce your slanderous inclinations and I am willing to do it. Stop harming people.
More bonus points for irony!
You are well aware that we have a shortage of magic and are very obviously just calling me a liar for your own games, and it has long passed to point of being acceptable behaviour.
You obviously aren't even trying to win an argument, you are just trying to denounce my opinion at every opportunity and it is no longer possible to consider such extreme displays as anything other than intentional malice!
Please stop blatantly lying to everyone for your own self-aggrandisement. It is not subtle anymore, everyone can see that you are lying.
So your pointless attack at my integrity wouldn't even be justified if it were based on truth instead of outright lies.

Thankyou for the commentary, but I have a legitimate problem. I am poor at reading people so I have to consider all possibilities.
1: Chiefwaffles honestly believes this stuff: I honestly wish to help them.
2: Chiefwaffles is actually correct: I would dearly like an explanation that I could learn from rather than just endless insults.
3: Chiefwaffles is a troll or sociopath who is trying to harm others for fun or basically murder people in order to benefit their own standing: I legitimately need to defend myself and should help others.
Now my main problem is that regardless of which or how many of these are true, the effects of 3 are active.
The above one is actually pretty great. Note the bottom part - "the effects of 3 are active." That's RAM's fancy little way of literally calling me a "troll or sociopath." For disagreeing with him in a forum game. Great, huh?

P.S.
 Congratulations! You were actually right about something! Can you tell the difference?
Now, see, this above one is interesting too. Because after I point this out as yet another clear insult, RAM does this little cherry on top:
I agree, I felt sort of bad about it, but there was a good reason for it too. You see, your statements are reliable incapable of determining accuracy and inaccuracy. If you are just a troll, then good for you! Well done! Advanced troll achievement gained!
 If not, then that statement is for you, and it is not an insult, it is am honest, if rhetorical, question. And an honest congratulations on your achievement. If that is the case then you clearly suffer from a very profound lack of awareness about how deduction works and I expect that you find yourself wrong about a great many things where you can't just shout people down. A bit more consideration might help you a great deal. Likely though, you are instead on the receiving end of such treatment, as is so often the case with such things... I really can't help you but do wish you the best.
So he's saying "my statements are reliable incapable of determining accuracy and inaccuracy" and that I'm a troll and saying that if's he's wrong there then clearly I must suffer from a "very profound lack of awareness about how deduction works and I expect you find yourself wrong about a great many things ..."; well. Just read the quote. Another class act from RAM, really.

Now let's do a little "intermission" here!
I am just looking for a little recognition that Chiefwaffles is slandering my ability to justify my statements, and is doing so with nothing to support those claims. We are both entitled to our own opinions. We can clearly state that one another are wrong. But making a concerted effort to establish that someone has no validity had better be backed up by some valid arguments or else it is just trying to murder someone. Which is exactly the correct term to use when you try to completely annul someone's presence.
See a little irony here? Let's continue.

Most everyone else's proposals are actually viable. Yours lately have a habit of being fundamentally unworkable and missing a bunch of design elements in the final product. More to the point, these inevitable failures often get lots of votes, and thus it proves necessary to warn people that they are voting for something that will fail, which they generally do, generally for the reasons that I have stated.
It is just really sad that you do not understand the word "blatant". When your entire argument rests upon a very specific interpretations of a very vague sentence then that is not blatant.

Why is anyone still trying to convince this person? Their arguments are completely lacking in any evidence, reasoning, or even compromise. They are not trying to achieve any semblance of accuracy or balance, they are just trying to verbally beat you into submission so that it looks like you agree with them.
And really, does anyone here have the idiocy to honestly believe that antimagic resistance is a revision?
And the above quote was in direct response to a statement of mine suggesting revising in antimagic resistance later.
And you were wrong multiple times. which is what happens when you realise that you can't argue with reason and try to just shout people down.

troll confirmed, or at least a complete lack of self-awareness.
Honestly, there is zero credibility to be found here.

It is obvious that your understanding of the game's boundaries is either lacking or you are deliberately making designs that are overambitious for some other reason.
You made a statement and that statement was false. You are making things up.
Well now you are being wilfully ignorant.

I shall stop here, though I assure you that RAM's insults to me do not. I've been going from most recent to oldest finding these quotes, and we've just hit the Combat Phase here. Said Combat Phase was where RAM really started going after me for whatever reason. His other insults are a bit more spread out and I have things to do other than compiling a list of insults, however unbelievable that may be.

In Which RAM Pretends Crystalworks Was His Idea, When He Argued Against The Crystalworks
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not shown: A lot of extremely aggressive statements directed at me but aren't concise enough to be put in neat little quotes. Please click any of the quotes I have included to see this. And if you feel I haven't included sufficient context, please do click the quotes as I've put effort into ensuring they're all from their actual post. If a quote's link is wrong, just lemme know and I can fix it.

Oh, and just to be clear, RAM can probably argue that I'm "personally attacking" him too. But I stand by my statements involving him using unfounded assumptions. And that's not quite the same as him "not really" but actually calling me a sociopath, is it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:02:33 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: July 09, 2017, 06:24:43 am »

@helmacon: I'm unsure about that. If we get a 1 on that we may just be giving up the desert when there was a chance
Though maybe we can roll normally and not at a disadvantage? I'm not particularly in the mood to go looking for precedence, but I'm somewhat certain that evicted only rolls orders at a disadvantage when they're using equipment in a purpose not intended for by the equipment.
I am not convinced that there is a benefit to be gained from it within the game's structure. If they come out with something big and new then they can probably overwhelm whatever defences we build with our current designs. If I wanted to pull something special I would abandon the seas and side-corridors and just push everything down the middle for a quick win. But I don't personally want that.
It has very real and very important consequences and has killed a great many people. I am right to demand that you recant your lies about me. It would be evil of me to just ignore this sort of treatment. I like to think that I would do the same if you were mistreating someone else in the same way.
In the above quote RAM actually seriously compares my arguing with actual serious real life cases of slander severe enough to be labeled "killing people" and... well. It's actually pretty funny, this quote. I'd recommend reading this one. Bonus points for irony.
I am not wrong, as evidenced by your lack of evidence and reasoning.
True enough, I did not provide justification for this. I ought to have, it is a serious issue and people ought to be warned. I am capable of admitting when I am wrong.
Basically, it is a matter of isolation. Someone is consistently opposed in minor ways that seem innocuous individually but their consistency results in a general pattern of that being "okay" and "normal". People will just idly stand by while someone is consistently belittled, derided, and dismissed. A pattern grown of their opinion being irrelevant. In time they are completely ignored. They have nobody to turn to, or at least they believe as much due to the lack of evidence to the contrary, their enemies have many supporters, or at least appear to do so, and they have no means of expressing themselves. Resulting a great sense of hopelessness and a belief that, should they wish to be noticed, it will require something extreme, and that they will achieve nothing with their current lot. It is a dense feeling of hopelessness and a need to do foolish things in order to get attention, or to just run away from everything. It is an extremely strong impulse towards suicide, and I am extremely confident that it has been used as a murder weapon. Now I do not honestly believe that Chiefwaffles understands this. I am not accusing them of being a murderer. But I would not be surprised of they have worked with people who have become more withdrawn as they interact... However I am often surprised by humanity's lack of awareness. It would not surprise me if many people honestly believe that a suicide cannot be a murder. I even recall people who think that whistle-blowers are cowards...

But the fact is that this is an isolation tactic, and that isolation tactics are lethal.
Thankyou for the commentary, but I have a legitimate problem. I am poor at reading people so I have to consider all possibilities.
1: Chiefwaffles honestly believes this stuff: I honestly wish to help them.
2: Chiefwaffles is actually correct: I would dearly like an explanation that I could learn from rather than just endless insults.
3: Chiefwaffles is a troll or sociopath who is trying to harm others for fun or basically murder people in order to benefit their own standing: I legitimately need to defend myself and should help others.
Now my main problem is that regardless of which or how many of these are true, the effects of 3 are active.
The above one is actually pretty great. Note the bottom part - "the effects of 3 are active." That's RAM's fancy little way of literally calling me a "troll or sociopath." For disagreeing with him in a forum game. Great, huh?
You are not reading that correctly. The words "effects of" may be small but they are very important. I am saying that regardless of the cause of your actions, the outcome is consistent with your being a troll or sociopath. I listed three ways that that destination could be reached, two of them are not what you incorrectly claim I called you. Are you capable of admitting when you are wrong?

And then we have this mess. Two things are required:
1: Actually read what is written.
2: Check the timestamps.
In Which RAM Pretends Crystalworks Was His Idea, When He Argued Against The Crystalworks
Let's go for one last quote, in which RAM makes a bold-faced lie:
The reason that we won was my idea of a large-project oriented crystalworks. We got cheap guns and cheap ships. Those cheap ships made the turn for us. The seas are a massive power-factor and if Moskurg focuses on land then they will massively regret the sea advantage. The cheap cannons held our advantage. The protector, while useful, really wasn't a factor.
Note how the Crystalworks was my design.
The crystalworks came after my steamworks. Which would have been better on account of stacking with the extra +1 from the mountains, and we could have invested in metals as nice as the crystals are, while using the forming ability of crystals. But that is unimportant. I never claimed to design the crystalworks, and I do not wish to lay such a claim. What I claimed was "a large-project oriented crystalworks". Note how the adjective there denotes a specific instance?
Now comes the time to check timestamps...
Unless you have some clear idea as to how to reduce the expense, such as ... making a giant crystalworks to reduce the effect of volume on expense
Revision: Crystalworks Mk2
According to our Crystalworks engineers, the scale of the designs such as the Steam Engine (and now the IDE) as well as the AS-LFV-1 are simply too great to benefit from the cost reduction the Crystalworks provides.
I had the idea first. And I had the idea recently enough to reasonably expect inspiration, and the post was edited late enough that it could well have been printed up over hours. Granted, ti is entirely possible that Chiefwaffles came up with it independently, but it was still an idea that I had. And I had no problem with letting Chiefwaffles print it up. I just kind of wish that it hadn't ended up being so overambitious. No, we are not getting a hard-counter shield that stops antimagic attacks from hitting us as a minor part of a revision. So i came up with a counter proposal that focused on making nice curves instead and mildly advocated it. Fortunately the antiantimagic shield part was ignored.

Oh, and just to be clear, RAM can probably argue that I'm "personally attacking" him too. But I stand by my statements involving him using unfounded assumptions. And that's not quite the same as him "not really" but actually calling me a sociopath, is it?
I would argue that you made frequent personal attacks long before I did so, and my personal attacks are defensive in nature, simply identifying dangerous patterns to your behaviour. I don't really need to go back through the timestamps to see when you first started accusing me of making things up just to insult your ideas due to personal bias do I?

As for being a sociopath? I am referring to the very high probability that you are a sociopath based upon evidence. Note that you may well not be aware of it if you are, and it is not so much of an insult as people believe. I myself don't conform well to human standards. It just represents someone who is very dangerous. I strongly suggest that you investigate your own mind and attempt to determine exactly what your own nature is, it can be a very useful thing to know. Your arguing style is extremely manipulative and yet extremely lacking in data or justification chains. It certainly appears as though you are aiming for social domination with no regard for the harm that may be caused in doing so. Consider this: If I were to be banned from this forum as a result of your conduct, you would most likely feel pride at your actions being consequential and guilt at causing loss, joy in being rid of me and concern for my loss. To what proportion do you suppose you would feel these things? Don't feel the need to respond to that, the answer is for your own consideration.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: July 09, 2017, 10:25:27 am »

It's getting fairly obvious that salt is building up here. Maybe take some time to cool down?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: July 09, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »

Rule #1 guys.

If you find yourself writing a novel in response to another player, take a minute, stand up, and go for a walk.  This is just a game - everyone here wants the best for Arstotzka, and just because you disagree on the way to go about that doesn't mean the other guy is an idiot or invalid.

No name-calling, no 2,000-word replies explaining in excruciating detail why the other guy is wrong, and no more passive aggressive barbed comments. 

If I need to say this again, I will give Moskurg an Espionage Credit to reflect the deteriorating cohesion in their enemy's design team.

You have 1 more revision, then you need to decide how to deal with the Trader.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: July 09, 2017, 03:35:01 pm »

If we seize the traders ship immidietly, does that prevent the enemy from getting a chance to trade with him?

Theoreticly, we should get two credits as well...
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: July 09, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »

I would at least search the ship for traces of unlawful acquisition. And ask news of the old man. If it checks out, we can give him some stuff.

edit: waaaaait a second. Is the ship he is in by any chance a moskurg one?
I remember that Es said some time ago in discord that there are 2 traders, one for each. Maybe they switched places?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:42:37 pm by andrea »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: July 09, 2017, 04:24:17 pm »

0 Aethergem Shells:
0 Academy Aethergems:
0 Temporary Wizards:
0 Weightite works:
0 Gemerators:
0 Magegem Capacity Upgrade:
1 Aethergem recharging pack: RAM
0 Aethergem Fitting:
0 Better Aethergems:
0 Duststorm Equalizer:
0 Growing Crystal:
0 U.N.C.L.:
0 S.A.F.E.:
1 Crystal Ammunition Fabricator: Chiefwaffles
0 Forced Force Flourishes:

0 Save the credit:

Orders:
2 Buy Chief and RAM a room so they can hatefuck and get it out of their system: Draignean, helmacon
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: July 09, 2017, 05:45:59 pm »

Blind-Flares

The normally harmless flare spell is dialed up to 11 and fired directly at the enemy.  The resulting flash is hard to look at from a  distance but completely devastating to anyone it is directed at.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: July 09, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »

Blind-Flares

The normally harmless flare spell is dialed up to 11 and fired directly at the enemy.  The resulting flash is hard to look at from a  distance but completely devastating to anyone it is directed at.
Make that a flashbang flare and you have my vote.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: July 09, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »

Do flares currently detonate? Or are they just constantly glowing as soon as they are launched... If they don't detonate, and I honestly don't recall if they do, then they will probably have the same problem against aircraft that our fireballs do. That of missing and hitting the ground instead... I like to think that, even if it is unintended, that the duration of our conjuration spells might give us some experience into timed-spells, so that we could probably rig a timed-fuse on our spells pretty easily, perhaps only as a partial component of a spell like this.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: July 09, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »

First, let me try one more time to convince people to vote for crystal fabricators.
They're nearing the ultimate evolution of the cannons. It removes our need to reload cannons.

First, imagine if all our cannons became self-feeding. So our soldiers could simply insert a new magazine/belt/clip/whatever instead of having to constantly insert new rounds every time the cannon fires.
This would be huge.

But then take a step further. What if we didn't need to reload our weapons at all? That's what the CAF does. Instead of our soldiers having to reload clips or bullets and going through the troubles of developing that tech, we can just easily create a weapon where reloading is a thing of the past.
We won't ever have to develop complicated ammo-feeding systems for our tech. We can simple stick a weapon anywhere on a vehicle, and wire it to the vehicle's battery/generator.

Imagine - a battlemage with an AS-Rx that doesn't have to reload his weapon. He can constantly fire without ever stopping for reloading.
Imagine - a HA1 that can fire non-stop without ever stopping for reloading. Nearly unending artillery barrages.
Imagine - AS-HAC-1 emplacements that can quickly fill the sky with unending bullets, stopping Moskurgers from ever trying to come close to our stuff.
Imagine - the end of an ammunition shortage. We'd never have to worry about delivering shells again.

And this is possible. Crystal Ammunition Fabricator is actually a revision. I do tend to be ambitious with my proposals, yes, but as ambitious as this may seem in its effects, it's completely possible.
We already know exactly how to use circuits to create crystal. We know how to easily program different shapes in these circuits. These circuits can be remarkably small for simple crystal shapes (like bullets/shells). They're fairly energy efficient (Crystalworks with tons of circuits doesn't require many apprentices).
All we need to do is apply these circuits to our cannons.

Crystal Ammunition Fabricator is the tech of the future. Allowing for non-stop artillery barrages, actual competent infantry weaponry, and much much more.

But with that done, have some alternative flare ideas! These are mostly based on VoidSlayer's Blind-Flares and are more-so just my take on the idea. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to do them and feel free to take them and put your own variation on it. I'm just putting them out here.
Also please don't put these on the votes quote unless someone votes for one of them.

Revision: Flashwand
A small "wand"-type crystal device hooked up to an AAA Aethergem. (Or AAA Magegem if an AAA Aethergem is too big. I'm confused about AGem sizes since the "size of a man's forearm" comparison for Aethergem wasn't naming one specific AGem size.)

The Flashwand uses scroll circuitry to, when activated by any kind of user, emit an extremely bright flare forwards or into the sky.

The flare can serve as a regular flare, but is significantly brighter allowing it to blind any nearby aerial enemies. Looking at the flare from the ground isn't disabling, but is also not recommended.
While our extensive knowledge in modifying fireballs ((e.g. the +6 on the Blastball)) this shouldn't be a problem, but to shorten the time spent on this part of the revision the energy cost is raised so a flare takes a full AAA-AGem charge and the user must wait to recharge it afterwards. ((Note: An old unimproved AAA Magegem could power a single flare and an old AA Magegem multiple flares. Considering a new AA Magegem is better than an old A Magegem, it'd make sense that an AAA Aethergem could power multiple flares. We're increasing the energy cost to reduce the complexity of this design.))

Any aerial entity within range of the flare should be effectively completely blinded, either causing them to crash or forcing them out of the area. If somehow an airship is caught in the area, we expect to be able to at least disable its offensive capabilities.

TL;DR: A re-useable wand that shoots out a more-blinding version of the Flare. Meant primarily to be used for defense from aerial attack in situations where there aren't enough cannons to prevent aerial attacks in more standard ways, but it can also be used as a (slightly less effective?) flare. AAA Aethergem allows for one use between charges, and the power cost of the flare is increased to be a full AAA gem in order to decrease complexity of the design.

Revision: Flashball
A small crystalline sphere with an AAA Magegem and scroll circuitry for a specific flare variation.

The Flare emitted by the Flashball is designed to take up the full AAA Magegem ((Which should be able to power multiple flares. See italicized comment like this one regarding this same topic in Flashwand design.)) in order to create an extremely blinding flashing effect.
Any men in the range of a Flashball should be blinded for some period of time after the Flashball goes off, effectively completely disabling them.

The Flashball is a very small Crystal ball enclosing circuitry and Magegems. It actually houses two AAA Magegems - one for the timer and one for the actual spell. It's easy to hold in one's hand and is quite light. A small bit of crystal glass allows one to look at the timer AAA Magegem as an indication of the time left until detonation.

The Flashball uses a circuit timer. The user presses very firmly on a button situated on the Flashball for a few seconds, then after the timer Magegem starts draining, they can throw it when ready and avert their eyes. Caution is recommended as if the Flashball is too close, even looking away and shielding one's eyes may not be enough to disable the effect.

The Flare inside is tweaked to sacrifice power efficiency (thus only one per AAA Magegem), velocity, and duration all for ligh, creating an extraordinarily blinding flash. This should be easy given how easy it was to revise much more difficult versions of our Fireballs ((e.g. +6 on Blastball revision)) and thus shouldn't take time away from putting the spell inside circuitry+crystal.

If possible, we'd like to create a variation fit for use in cannons, but this being a revision, it's completely understandable if this particular attempt yields nothing. We don't expect this to happen, but maybe if we wish hard enough unpaid intern apprentices elves will come into the Academy and add this element for us.

Considering the fact that it's made of Crystal ((Crystalworks bonus!)), and uses cheap AAA Magegems, manufacturing this should be extraordinarily easy. The project shouldn't be difficult as well, as this is merely putting a tweaked flare spell in circuitry around an AAA Magegem and encasing it in crystal.

TL;DR: A cool hopefully-and-probably Cheap Flashbang for use by mundane soldiers.

Both revisions should be possible given that we can practically effortlessly modify our flares/fireballs now. (+6 on Blastball!) So the revisions are pretty much just slapping on circuitry and a crystal exterior.

But now for one more revision. Probably not really needed since aerial attacks aren't exactly a huge problem now.
Revision: Timed Fireball

We modify our Fireballs to include an optional timing component "chosen" by the casting mage in the field.

This is extremely simple and easy and should allow our fireballs to be effectively used to combat short-range Moskurg aerial attacks, as, for example, a timed PSF can simply be timed to detonate at some point in the sky. As the fireball has a devastating AoE, this should allow it to be much more useful. Our mages can simply throw fireballs in the air and have them hit enemy targets, regardless of whether the fireball actually hits the carpet or not.

@RAM:
Our flares definitely don't detonate. It was never explicitly stated, but flares are brighter fireballs. Fireballs only "detonate" when they hit solid ground and release whatever combustive material it has. Flares are just brighter fireballs with the "detonation" removed, really.
We also could definitely easily revise in a timed component to any of our spells, though. And we already have timer circuits.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:57 pm »

0 Aethergem Shells:
0 Academy Aethergems:
0 Temporary Wizards:
0 Weightite works:
0 Gemerators:
1 Magegem Capacity Upgrade: Kadzar
1 Aethergem recharging pack: RAM
0 Aethergem Fitting:
0 Better Aethergems:
0 Duststorm Equalizer:
0 Growing Crystal:
0 U.N.C.L.:
0 S.A.F.E.:
1 Crystal Ammunition Fabricator: Chiefwaffles
0 Forced Force Flourishes:

0 Save the credit:

Orders:
2 Buy Chief and RAM a room so they can hatefuck and get it out of their system: Draignean, helmacon
[/quote]
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: July 09, 2017, 09:30:05 pm »

Imagine - a battlemage with an AS-Rx that doesn't have to reload his weapon. He can constantly fire without ever stopping for reloading.
Imagine - a HA1 that can fire non-stop without ever stopping for reloading. Nearly unending artillery barrages.
Imagine - AS-HAC-1 emplacements that can quickly fill the sky with unending bullets, stopping Moskurgers from ever trying to come close to our stuff.
Imagine - the end of an ammunition shortage. We'd never have to worry about delivering shells again.
@RAM:
Our flares definitely don't detonate. It was never explicitly stated, but flares are brighter fireballs. Fireballs only "detonate" when they hit solid ground and release whatever combustive material it has. Flares are just brighter fireballs with the "detonation" removed, really.
We also could definitely easily revise in a timed component to any of our spells, though. And we already have timer circuits.
I vaguely recall that the flares might have lit up only at the summit of their flight, which in context would count as a detonation. I do not recall though and am not bothering to look it up. Extrapolating from what fireballs do is not really helpful. Ugh, I probably ought to look it up but, ugh... flares were one of those repeatedly proposed things, weren't they? Probably more painful than most to find...

I do, genuinely, want a bullet summoning device. But first we need to sort out the power shortages and work up a bullet that would be effective. Otherwise we are spending a revision that we cannot yet make use of due to power shortages and which we will have to revise again to adapt it to effective bullets because crystals are too light to make effective ordnance. There are reasons why lead is famous as a bullet material, and uranium is a popular military round. Bullet density matters. We currently need something better than steel to account for their wind effects, crystal is worse than steel at defeating wind effects. We would be better off designing "wind immune" crystals that "cut" through the air leaving magical gashes through wind... And then there is the added bulk, it would normally work best on the small-arms which currently have low magic-costs and high reloading-times but the added bulk of three summoning circuits would likely hit them the harder due to their dependency upon mobility and handling. It is not a terrible idea, but this is the wrong time and the wrong material.

Also, as a revision to make a mobile fabricator that only prints bullets it seems to definitely be a revision in my humble opinion. Integrating it into weapons? Probably still a revision. Integrating it into all of our firearms at once? Plausible, but pushing it. Making it summon fast enough? I figure if it is just a bullet, then it will be pretty quick, but people have suggested previously that small things won't summon quickly, that we would be stuck with the casting time of the old lances. So that is open to interpretation whether that is a modification at all or and extremely difficult revision by itself. And the sequential summoning things likely an added hassle on top. I wouldn't say it won't work, but it is likely to lack notable features on a bad roll.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »

Well, look at it this way.
A Fireball is a ball of fire that goes from its origin to its destination all while in that distinctive ball of fire form. Then in most works of fiction (and in Wands Race), it explodes once it hits its target.

Considering that Flares don't have any timing component, they shouldn't detonate (if they can) in mid-air. If they did detonate, it would likely only be when they hit something. Which wouldn't be particularly useful for flares.
That and flares are brighter fireballs with lethality removed. So it would make sense that flares are basically like a traveling fireball that's extra bright and that doesn't explode when it hits anything.

Also real-life flares (in media at least) appear to emit constant light immediately after being fired. The light just eventually tapers off as the reaction runs its course.

Really, both our stances on crystal ammunition are conjecture. We just don't know enough about the difference in weight between steel and crystal. I'm hoping to get a definite answer on this soon from Evicted, though.

As for the bulk, the CAF really isn't intended for use in small-arms. The AS-R1 itself is a revision dead-end in my opinion. It provides a great foundation for future ventures and is fairly useful now, but if we really want to make an infantry weapon the AS-R2 should be done.
The CAF does help here, though. If we develop the CAF beforehand it makes the AS-R2 much easier to design or lets us put more stuff in the design as we won't have to bother with incorporating the CAF into it when we've never done it before.

And I agree that integrating it into all of our weapons is pushing it, but Evicted's been fine with this kind of thing in the past. As long as we're not abusing prioritized aspects of revisions/designs, it should be fine.
We design it for something like the AS-HAC first, then if we have time we extend it to other cannons. Which shouldn't be hard as it's really just changing the size of the projectile fabricated.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:00 pm »

Our HA1s fire a lot of specialized ammunition that requires assembly beyond just summoning.  Thats why im against it.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 301