Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377095 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4020 on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:30 pm »

Our mages don't need to cast. They can just supply the power and let the circuits of our devices create the spells.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »

Our mages don't need to cast. They can just supply the power and let the circuits of our devices create the spells.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Do we even have enough magegems for that? And I'll also remind you that the Avenger currently requires a wizard to be able to fire its weapons, and probably wouldn't do well with the extra weight necessary to replace them with gems.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: July 21, 2017, 11:50:21 pm »

Well.
The thing is that Antimagic Shielding very likely has to be revised into existing designs or put in new designs in its current state. It's creating a new type of crystal then doing nothing with it.
Meaning it will do nothing this turn and we will continue having problems and even then we have to consciously put it in each design to be useful.

Whereas Antimagic-Immune Circuits doesn't have the same limitation and immediately lets our magitech operate inside anti-magic fields. Kind of the same with antiantimagic charms, but I personally don't prefer those for other reasons.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: July 23, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »

Gwolfski asked on Discord to be added to AM-Immune circuits. I'm double-posting since my last post was two days ago and a change in votes is significant enough to warrant a new post I feel.

Reminder that AM Shielding in its current form will likely have no impact on current designs unless evicted is feeling extremely generous. Which is why you should vote for a different AMM revision! (AM-Immune circuits or AMM charms)
Revision:
4 - Antimagic Shielding: Kadzar, Draignean, Andrea, RAM
3 - Antimagic-immune circuits: Andres, Chiefwaffles, Gwolfski
2 - Antiantimagic Charms: Helmacon, RAM
1 - - As above Antiantimagic charms, but attempt to prevent them from affecting conventional magic: RAM
1 - Cloud Cover: FallacyofUrist

Orders:
2 - Don't deploy the Avenger yet: FallacyofUrist, RAM
1 - Deploy the Avenger: Chiefwaffles

I'm also voting to deploy the Avenger this turn. I'm not particularly attached to the idea of deploying it, but overall I'd slightly prefer it. So if someone else wants to deploy they can vote, but I'm probably not going to be arguing particularly hard/at all for it.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: July 23, 2017, 08:07:57 pm »

Deploy the avenger, it can fly and it can shoot.  It will be blown up but we need to contest them at least a little in the air.

I will vote for antimagic shielding, but we will probably need to spend a full design on making it both more effective and work on everything.

Revision:
5 - Antimagic Shielding: Kadzar, Draignean, Andrea, RAM, voidslayer
3 - Antimagic-immune circuits: Andres, Chiefwaffles, Gwolfski
1 - - As above Antiantimagic charms, but attempt to prevent them from affecting conventional magic: RAM

Orders:
2 - Deploy the Avenger: Chiefwaffles, voidslayer

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: July 23, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »

Wait, what?
...why would you want to do that?

You want to spend a revision and a design on anti-magic resistance? I think that may actually be the worst possible path. Spending a revision on making circuits AM immune is what I think we should do, but I can at least respect the opinion of people who think it needs a design.

But a revision and design all for this? By your plan, we will lose in every theatre again this turn then we will lose again next turn because we wouldn't have designed anything new. The only thing their anti-magic is doing that actively hurts us is countering our artillery. We have no other uses for antimagic shielding. Our protectors won't be helped because they need their own work. Our wizards won't be able to cast their (useless) spells because of the designed limitations of AM shielding.

So we will lose in every theatre again this round if we do AM shielding. Because all we've designed is an okay fighter that will immediately drop out of the sky when they use their anti-magic against it. Meanwhile, Moskurg is developing new things.
Then, next turn, according to your plan, we will waste another design on anti-magic, meaning we will still keep losing because we lost when their anti-magic was an extremely small factor. Meanwhile, Moskurg will only build on their already-growing advantage.

...I just can't comprehend why anyone would want to spend a revision and design on anti-magic resistance.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: July 23, 2017, 08:34:58 pm »

I can at least respect the opinion of people who think [making circuits AM immune] needs a design.
Wait, what?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: July 23, 2017, 08:39:21 pm »

...okay?
Got something to say, RAM?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: July 23, 2017, 08:41:28 pm »

Actually I am going to switch to Antimagic-immune circuits.  It seems more like a revision, where the other two seem like they would be better as a design.
Revision:
4 - Antimagic-immune circuits: Andres, Chiefwaffles, Gwolfski, voidslayer

Orders:

Edit: I do want to spend a full design on anti magic in the future if this does not work.  Something nasty to really mess them up when they try and use their spell.  Maybe something to make it backfire and cut them off from casting magic forever.  Or maybe just explode them.  Yeah that is better.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:46:25 pm by VoidSlayer »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: July 23, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »

Well.
The thing is that Antimagic Shielding very likely has to be revised into existing designs or put in new designs in its current state. It's creating a new type of crystal then doing nothing with it.
Meaning it will do nothing this turn and we will continue having problems and even then we have to consciously put it in each design to be useful.

Whereas Antimagic-Immune Circuits doesn't have the same limitation and immediately lets our magitech operate inside anti-magic fields. Kind of the same with antiantimagic charms, but I personally don't prefer those for other reasons.

Chief, what evidence is there that we wouldn't need to do the exact same with the circuits? AM Circuits has one line of description that doesn't even amount to vigorous handwaving, more like a half-hearted shrug.

Both revisions make changes to our materials. One changes the circuits, one changes the crystal. They both share the same weakness of a being a changed component that couldn't, logically, simply be instantly altered for fielded weapons. Neither, however, fundamentally alters the structure of what they modify.

Is there any particular reason you believe that AM shielding would require another revision when AM circuits wouldn't?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: July 23, 2017, 09:19:30 pm »

AM Shielding is just "Make crystal that blocks anti-magic."
It has no descriptions of its applications. No description of how to use it. The revision is just a description of its benefits.

Think of when we designed Magegems, the steam engine, we got the Internal Detonation Engine with the Protector, or the Combat Armor's Crystal Glass, or a ton of other things we've gotten in revisions, designs, or part of other designs.
They don't immediately apply. They have to be consciously put into other designs to work. The same goes with AM shielding. Our designers will make AM-blocking Crystal then call it a day. We'll have the crystal (if we roll well enough, but the same goes for any idea) and it'll just be lying in a warehouse until we use it for something.

Contrast this to AM-immune circuits.
AM-immune circuits is an upgrade to existing circuits. It's taking the circuit "design" we're currently using for all our tech then modifying it to be AM-immune. This applies immediately. Like if we upgraded the steam engine in a revision, the upgrade would apply to all steam engine using designs. When we upgraded Magegems and Aethergems, the upgrade applies to all Magegem and Aethergem-using designs respectively.
This is because these revisions just upgrade the component without changing how it fits into designs. There's no need to put actual consideration into the application of the upgraded version because the upgrade can be applied universally and to all circuits without changing the way those circuits are implemented into the designs.

Revision: Antimagic Shielding
Moskurg Antimagic has been a thorn in our side for a long time, but now it's become unbearable. That's why our designers have devised a new type of crystal which protects our magic from antimagical interference. It works much like the mythical "Faraday Cage" of Arstotzkan legend, blocking out harmful Moskurg antimagic particles so that those inside are free to cast as much as they like. There's no guarantee that spells cast inside the shielding will be protected once they leave the barrier, but our mundane projectiles should at least still work perfectly fine, and our Protectors should now only be stopped by their faulty suspension.
Antimagic shielding just creates a new type of crystal. That's it. It doesn't upgrade all existing crystal to be AM-shielding, which is what we would need to do for this to immediately apply.

Antimagic-immune circuits, however, simply upgrades our existing circuits like how we upgraded Aethergems or Magegems. We upgrade a single aspect of Magegems in a revision, and it immediately applies to all Magegem-using designs. We upgrade a single aspect of Aethergems in a revision, and it immediately applies to all Aethergem-using designs.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the way AM-immune circuits is written, but it's too late for me to type out my own version so oh well.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: July 23, 2017, 10:10:01 pm »

Sigh... Switch me to circuits I guess.

I will save my opinion on the avenger depending on how the revision goes.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: July 23, 2017, 10:10:54 pm »

I really can't see us getting better than a -2 on that roll, and a -8 wouldn't really raise an eyebrow from me. I mean, sure, it would be sort of amusing and weird to see a value that high, but I would not claim it to be unfair. A reminder of the actual proposal, which is easy to miss on account of being obscured by the vote poll.
Antimagic-immune circuits: Protect our circuits from the effects of antimagic so that they can channel magic and cast spells even within an anti-magic field.
Thoughts:
: Protect how? No explanation of method, no opportunity for a bonus. There is no point to providing a link to the proposal because "Antimagic-immune circuits" is the entire proposal.
: direct opposition. Antimagic nullifies magic. This makes magic work. Not just persist but actually allows spells to be cast within antimagic. They could just as easily say "we revise our mind-reading to be immune to whatever is stopping it" or "we revise our flying carpets to be immune to being damaged by cannons". They have a design with an effect, we are attempting to completely nullify that effect. Bot just reduce or divert it, but make it vanish completely. Hard counters are a lot to ask out of a design, this is just a revision, one with no justification at that.
: Small scope. We already have a magical effect protection device that has universal applicability. The antimagic charm. We also have armour that could reasonably be attached to various things. If only our circuits are functioning then our other spells become useless and we are forced to rely solely upon devices. Devices which will all cease to exist when the enemy use a sonic weapon and evaporate our crystals for the second time.
: Inappropriate. Our circuits do, to my knowledge, have no history of being antimagic immune. Or resistance to magical fields, in fact they had difficulty with hot and cold fields.
: Insufficient. It makes no mention of where the circuits drive power from. There is some people who recall hearing that our power-sources worked within antimagic, but no citations have been provided that I am aware of. There is to my knowledge no suggestion that mages can provide power to a circuit while within an antimagic field. We know, from the mundane, that without mages our power supplies are greatly reduced. Even if this works perfectly we may well still be unable to activate any magic in an antimagic field.
: Incompatibility. With no specifications provided, it is entirely possible that the antimagic-immune circuits will be, for example, larger, hotter, more wasteful, don't work as circuits if they are too curved, don't work as antimagic if they are straight for too long... As a revision to circuits, they should be compatible with all current circuits, but that does not mean that they are compatible with all current devices that use circuits. We could revise a cannon to be larger. It would work the same way, with the same mechanisms and could be automatically applied to all of our vehicles that use that gun, if it fits! If you have it in a turret of a specific size then it is not going to be upgraded. If you have it on an open platform with a bit of space then it is going to be upgraded just fine and we can get that upgrade for free... Just because we can automatically upgrade all our circuits to antimagic doesn't mean that they won't spill out energy all over the place and need twices as much energy input to operate, thuse forcing us to completely redesign our stuff to provide twice as much power.

Antimagic is not just a design, it is a BIG design. Getting a partial hard-counter to it just by asking for one in a revision seems implausible. I don't like our odds if we base it off of existing endeavours in that field or use witty references to smooth over the rolls, but making zero effort at all to justify the proposal looks identical to squatting down, looking up, enlarging the eyes o three times their normal size, and desperately begging for a ridiculous negative modifier. If this works then we should officially give up on having actual designs, and instead just issue wish-lists. I honestly believe that "carpet eater: a circuit-based beam that goes through all metals and makes flight-devices instantly explode at medium range if it points at them." is a plausible design.

...okay?
Got something to say, RAM?
I am a person who thinks that making circuits antimagic immune requires a design. Therefore you respect my ]opinion.
Well, technically you didn't say that, but I doubt that you can figure out why. One could also make an argument for my statement being irrelevant to yours, but that would be technically incorrect, given how very clear the implication is. Ad then again, I don't entirely believe that it requires a design, it could achieve the same thing with three or so revisions or a freak occurrence, but again, the context makes it very clear that "requires a design" actually means "cannot be achieved with a single revision". So it comes out to a game of "spot the logic error" which might be fun for some.

I was tempted to just come up with a dozen quotes of you saying it was definitely easy as a revision, which really isn't consistent with respecting the alternate opinion. The correct course is to just sink to your level and not justify anything, just provide the most simple and direct counter with no argument and devolve into ignorant savages. But the witty and informative "spot the logical fallacy in my own statement" might actually teach you something, so let's see if we can't score a win for Team Comprehension!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Antimagic shielding references Faraday cages, which is an amusing anecdote and I would be sorely tempted to give it a +1 from the witty reference if I were judging it. It also mentions antimagic particles which can be blocked. It is not an entirely outlandish theory and crystals do, indeed, block things. I find it pretty lacking myself, but it does at least exceed the "because shrug" competition offered by the circuits. Meanwhile I provide a thesis featuring observations of their antimagic and references to existing knowledge and modifications to an existing technology that is already relevant, but supporting that sort of thing would just be silly. Shielding is a happy middle-ground.

Shielding creates "a new type of crystal" while circuits "change our circuits". The two are not really any different in this regard. Our stuff is already covered in crystal, changing the surface is not that big of a deal. The changed circuits would not just magically alter every instance of circuits. They would need to be changed in the designs and rebuilt and redistributed. Effectively there is no difference. They both come down to "change the properties of this existing material to produce a new material that can hopefully be implemented immediately" and I am more optimistic about being able to slap on a problematic new surface than a problematic new internal mechanism...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: July 23, 2017, 10:21:17 pm »

Because anti magic is kind of a dumb way to play a medical arms race in the first place. It's why we don't acutely use spells in a wizard war. Just spell machines. We are designing anti anti magic. If they counter this, it will be anti anti anti magic. It just gets really dumb really quickly. A boring problem gets a boring solution.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: July 23, 2017, 10:28:01 pm »

Revision:
5 - Antimagic-immune circuits: Andres, Chiefwaffles, Gwolfski, voidslayer, helmacon
     ->1 - AM-Immune Circuits Fluff: Chiefwaffles
1 - Antiantimagic Charms: RAM

Orders:

Changing over helmacon's vote as requested.

And I definitely agree regarding the Avenger. Because deploying it along with antimagic resistance in some form could help. Definitely against airships, and maybe against carpets/skiffs. But even then, I have to wonder if the Avenger could actually help us win in a theatre. If it was Expensive, maybe, but Very Expensive? The Avenger could probably deal with any single Moskurg ship in a 1-1 fight, but that may not be enough.

Well, I guess the Avenger could be a good Airship/Phoenix counter. (Though phoenix should be easy to counter with functional ground artillery). It matches them in expense, has bombs, and its lacking acceleration isn't as much of a factor.
Against skyskiffs, it could definitely make them less of an issue, but they have lots of skiffs and the Avenger still has the unpowered AS-HAC-1 turret and has slow acceleration. Definitely better than nothing, but questionable.

I dunno. I'll definitely make a final decision myself after this revision. If it fails completely then definitely not for sure.

The correct course is to just sink to your level and not justify anything, just provide the most simple and direct counter with no argument and devolve into ignorant savages.
Jesus christ, RAM. Can you maybe not?

EDIT: I'm just including a brief bit of fluff for AM-Immune circuits that I'll put as a "sub-type" underneath the actual revision in the votes quote thing.

AM-Immune Circuits (unofficial) Fluff

We retrieve the old "crystal circuit" plans drawn out years ago. These plans were originally discarded due to microfractures in the crystal gradually making circuitry unfeasible, but this problem has since been solved with regenerative crystal.

The crystal circuitry by itself shouldn't provide any noticeable differences to nickel circuitry (other than mildly increased durability due to crystal, regeneration and whatnot but this is irrelevant to the revision). Instead, the difference and main revision comes next.

The actual revision here (as we already have crystal circuits and as regenerative crystal is the standard, they should already be just as functional as nickel circuits) is to switch the crystal in the circuits over to the crystal glass used in Magegems. By using this crystal glass that has proven to be immune to anti-magic, we can protect our circuits from being rendered nonfunctional by anti-magic of all kinds.

TL;DR: Since crystal circuits (broken revision a while ago) should retroactively work just as well as nickel circuits thanks to regenerative crystal now, take the design back out of the basement storage and switch over to the crystal glass used in Magegems that's been proven to work against anti-magic. Should get AM-immune circuits.

I've edited the votes at the top of this post to include this fluff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:37:27 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 301