Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377078 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4155 on: August 10, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »

Expense credit on lightning and myrak in the mountains.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: August 10, 2017, 04:36:07 pm »

I find our revision to be in error.

I believe that our votes were tied. And if we are going to be forcing things, would it not make sense to go for Lucky Strike, as that reached 3 votes first? Or perhaps because Chiefwaffles displayed a lack of conviction by voting for other things as well? I hope that we can all agree that "get up to speed faster" is not as good as "you can now use Lucky Strike"...

So I am requesting that the revision be revised to Lucky Strike, or delayed until the votes are changed.

1 Cheap Lightning aircraft: helmacon
1 Preserve Expense Credit: RAM
0 Cheap Mundanes:

1 Myark to mountains: helmacon
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: August 10, 2017, 04:38:44 pm »

traditionally, to resolve a tie the GM uses a coin toss.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »

RAM.
Stop removing my vote. This is getting very tiring.

EXPENSE CREDIT
2 - Spare Expense Credit: Chiefwaffles, RAM
1 - Lightning: helmacon

MYARK
1 - Mountains: Helmacon
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:58:37 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: August 10, 2017, 04:55:59 pm »

EXPENSE CREDIT
3 - Spare Expense Credit: Chiefwaffles, RAM, Andrea
1 - Lightning - helmacon

MYARK
1 - Mountains: Helmacon

While a cheap avenger would be nice, I believe in designing a national effort and expensing it down.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: August 10, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »

A coin toss would explain it, but there has also traditionally been a "update incoming, please resolve the tie" post. There was also no mention of a coin-toss. I admit that I made an assumption and if a coin toss did occur then that is fine.

Chiefwaffles.
Stop removing proposals and votes and making false accusations. This is getting very tiring.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Added votes from previous phase.
2 Cheap Lightning aircraft: helmacon, FallacyofUrist
3 Preserve Expense Credit: RAM, Chiefwaffles, Andrea
0 Cheap Mundanes:

I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 10, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »

Yes, it had been a coin toss.  And I had warned yesterday that I was getting ready to do the revision, so I thought 24 hours was plenty of time to wait.

Still, I should have mentioned the coin toss in the revision and maybe given a second "revision soon" warning.  Sorry about that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 10, 2017, 05:39:37 pm »

I apologise for the outburst.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: August 10, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »

4 Preserve Expense Credit: RAM, Chiefwaffles, Andrea
0 Cheap Mundanes:

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: August 10, 2017, 07:27:23 pm »

4 Preserve Expense Credit: RAM, Chiefwaffles, Andrea, Andres
0 Cheap Mundanes:

Glory to Arstotzka.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 10, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

So... what national effort are we going to make?

Seriously, folks, using the Expense Credit now will enormously help the war effort. Normal Cost Lightning. Remember how effective cheap crystalclads were? Consider that. Except for all the fronts.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: August 10, 2017, 08:13:53 pm »

Well, the first thing is just the nature of the Lightning.

It may finally be a competent aircraft, but it's still more of a gunship. We can definitely improve it with revisions, but it'll still be a gunship and it'd most likely be impractical to try to use revisions to change that.

If we ever want a dedicated fighter, we'd likely be better off designing a new fighter rather than trying to revise the Lightning into being that better fighter. And the expense credit won't apply here. That and we still don't know the effectiveness of the Lightning yet. While it'll definitely be effective, I'd rather wait and see if it's effective enough to warrant a credit.
That and the National Effort design -> Very Expensive is a very attractive idea.

Also, new potential design.

Potential Design: AS-HA2

The next evolution in artillery warfare, the HA2 introduces many new benefits that will cement its title as the successor to the HA1.

The HA2 is constructed utilizing crystal, and possesses a crystal-glass "shield" extending a bit outward and curving slightly inwards to protect the crew from (upper-)forward projectiles. Mechanisms allow for angling the barrel up/down easily and more-so than the HA1. Behind the shield and under the barrel is a much smaller Aether Reactor Mk. 2. This reactor is obviously similar to the one located in the Lightning, but is much smaller to avoid unnecessary expense, size, and weight. The Reactor does generate more power than needed, but not by a large amount - enough for future expansions (such as fabricating crystal inside the barrel).

The biggest change in the HA2 is the propellant.
Blastballs have long been outdated by the KPD. The KPD4 utilizes directional constant thrust that can be easily changed and its thrust distribution can be changed in real time by a human operator. Compare this to the Blastball - a single set-power unfocused (and weak) explosion.
The HA2 is moving to the future by incorporating the KPD4 instead of Blastballs. Perhaps the biggest advantage of the KPD4 is its more-directional thrust. This allows for us to greatly increase the power of the propellant without having to worry about the structural integrity of the barrel. Though of course we won't be using constant thrust, and will be needing a significantly smaller power input than that required by the Lightning.

The KPD4 propellant will allow for a much faster and longer-ranged projectile, and the scaled Aether Reactor will allow for no reliance on wizards.

A small set of dials located behind the shield allow for the crew to configure the KPD4 to allow for much more dynamic, quicker, and easier aiming. The power can be changed to accommodate for different ranges (and potentially ammunition types) without having to adjust the barrel at all.

Reactor - A downscaled Aether Reactor Mk. 2 allows for the HA2 to operate without wizards present.
Propellant - Instead of using Blastballs, we adapt the KPD4 to work as a propellant. Its directional thrust and far-greater strength (the KPD1 was an equivalent of 4 blastballs/second) allows us to invoke far greater velocities on our projectiles and not worry about the integrity of the barrel too.
Crystal - The HA2 is made of Crystal, and should get the Crystalworks bonus.
Shield - A simple crystal-glass shield extends slightly outwards from the HA2 and curves inward a bit to give the crew cover from projectiles.

TL;DR - We adapt the KPD4 and Aether Reactor to the HA1 to create the next generation artillery piece.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:13 pm »

Or we could just create a large Fireball wand for better results, decreased costs, and increased chance of success.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: August 10, 2017, 08:19:06 pm »

And for something that doesn't pierce Moskurg armor (which is also literally immune to heat).

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »

Your imagination must be quite limited if you cannot easily imagine how you could just replace "Fire" with "Blast" and make it able to kill Moskurg armour. Your argument is honestly very petty and a fair bit crap. Apparently it was too much to expect for your objections to have any real substance behind them.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 301