Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376952 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4290 on: August 21, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

Voted for the seeker. A guided missile should help greatly against enemy ships if we pull it off, eliminating their biggest advantage.

The valyrie is great as well, I am just not yet sure it will be able to actually board their ships. On the plus side, it should still be the doom of their artillery, if we can drop soldiers quickly anywhere.

I may be easily swayed, I like the idea of greater mobility and it does surely help against one of our problems.
The Valkyrie would give us a massive manoeuvrability advantage on every field if we get it cheap enough. Our soldiers will be able to go anywhere very quickly with the Valkyrie. It would be an enormous boon logistically, strategically, and tactically. The Seeker, on the other hand, has a much more niche use and one at least partially - potentially completely - covered by the Valkyrie. It'll also have to develop new tech whereas all of the hard work for the Valkyrie has already been done by the Lightning, so the Valkyrie is easier to design on top of being superior.

Please vote for the Valkyrie.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 21, 2017, 02:54:10 pm »

While the Valkyrie is easier to design, I would not say it covers the same uses as the seeker. The valkyrie is a logistic and mobility effort, while the seeker is focused on extremely long range destruction. I really doubt the valkyrie can bring down a ship. Although, it might mitigate enemy artillery, by dropping soldiers behind enemy lines.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »

The valkyrie is basically an artificial deployment bonus like we get from controlling the oceans.

I'm all for using the expense credit on the lightning. We ought to revise honest strike again so that we have enough to begin using them in the lighting turrets. (They have a slot for them we don't use). It proved to be devastatingly effective this turn with the rifles.

I would vote for a good tank design if I saw it, but I didn't particularly like RAMs design. (Sorry Ram!)

The valkyrie also seems ok.

I have some really cool stuff in the works for summoning crystal ants. (mobile fortifications. Tunneling. (Deployment bonus) offensive and defensive. Ant bombs. Ect...) but I don't really want to type it up on my phone. Maybe later.

Idk what to do about Myrak. We gave him a sniper rifles, and his wand of true light, but he's still losing.

Btw, what effect did the true light have in the battle? It wasn't mentioned in the report.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 21, 2017, 03:58:53 pm »

I like both the Seeker and the Valkyrie, but I'm slightly more interested in the potential of the Valkyrie (also, I like the name).

As for possible revisions after this, we could adapt either the Lightning or the Valkyrie into a bomber variant by adding in a bomb bay of some sort. The Valkyrie might be better suited for this with its lifting capabilities, and it's possible we could just drop the bombs with its hook (though we would want to at least use a revision for this, as I don't want to think about the catastrophe trying to do this as an order would be). It may not produce the best possible bomber, but it should be leagues better at the role than the Avenger currently is.

DESIGNS
0 - RAM-MAP-948 "Pashmad" Mobile Artillery Position:
3 - AS-SGO-1 "Seeker": Andrea, voidslayer, Draignean
4 - ASAF-QAT48 "Valkyrie": Chiefwaffles, Andres, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar

ORDERS
0 - Acknowledge that we are comfortable with multiple votes from the same person towards a single design or revision action:
0 - Denounce multiple votes from the same person on the same design or revision action and request that the G.M. discount such votes:
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 21, 2017, 04:32:32 pm »

The bomber revision is a good point, I think I will switch.

However, I also want to propose  a new design, not so much for doing it now, but to keep the idea afloat.

AS-FF-1 Flying fortress leviathan
This is our effort to create the greatest flying object ever made in the history of humankind.
Our kinetic propulsion drive is, thankfully,  almost indefinitely scalable due to ignoring things like aerodynamics and focusing entirely on directed thrust. The only limit, then, is our manufacturing ability.
With crystalworks, it turns out to be a rather large limit.

No longer a vehicle, this is best described as a flying fortress, and it is indeed as big as one. Its great bulk provides room for an extremely large aethergem reactor mounted in the middle provinding all the power needed, crew,supplies, spares and some empty rooms for future additions. The external walls are made of extremely thick laytered crystal, while internal walls are considerably thinner to save weight. It carries 2 HA-1 on the top, mounted on armored and powered turrets similar to the ones in the lightning (but upscaled), a couple of [insert our smaller cannon here] on each side, similarly turreted (mounted sideways, rotating around an horizontal axis) and several HAC of the variant used in the Lightning, also turreted. All weapons and turrets are linked to the main generator.
While landed, a ramp opens to disembark soldiers or cargo quickly.

DESIGNS
0 - RAM-MAP-948 "Pashmad" Mobile Artillery Position:
2 - AS-SGO-1 "Seeker": voidslayer, Draignean
5 - ASAF-QAT48 "Valkyrie": Chiefwaffles, Andres, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar, Andrea

ORDERS
0 - Acknowledge that we are comfortable with multiple votes from the same person towards a single design or revision action:
0 - Denounce multiple votes from the same person on the same design or revision action and request that the G.M. discount such votes:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 21, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »

Force Film
After all of our efforts in pure force, we have finally done it! Pure, distilled, propulsion in its elemental form. There is no exhaust, no directional limits, no acceleration(although we designs gradual-activation circuits to simulate it in order to avoid damage...), just pure motion. This means that we can mount it anywhere, even internally. It can operate according to non-relative directions, such as East, Up, and, with a bit of fiddling, even things such as "home" and maybe even "downwind" and "towards the enemy" if we can magically define it...

While the initial advantages are less than obvious, we plan to implement this on the Lightning which should demonstrate its benefits. Tornadoes are primarily a threat by disorienting and capsizing craft. This new system should allow them to maintain their course regardless of their orientation or position, allowing them to reliably "exit" the whirlwind rather than having to constantly waste propulsion by reorienting and adjusting their direction to account for motion. By actively moving towards their current altitude(or, more accurately, the up/down force of "actively zero") they can perfectly maintain and adjust altitude, allowing for reliable operation in extremely close proximity to the ground. Adding internal mounting to the propulsion further enables the craft to apply more force and be less prone to external damage. It goes without saying that stability is a non-issue when the top can be set to "up" and the bottom can be set to "down" and the propulsion will operate to keep the craft in a specific velocity and orientation regardless of its current velocity or orientation.

With the ease of application of this effect, we hope, time permitting, to implement it on older models of aircraft too, on a smaller scale for the use of bomb-bays.

Don't like it, but it is a thought, so it needs to be heard, because everyone loves thoughts.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 23, 2017, 02:18:06 pm »

Design: ASAF-QAT48 "Valkyrie" [2+1, 5, 4]

The Valkyarie is an all-new flying machine designed primarily around two Aether Reactors and a large cabin.  It utilizes an enlarged KPD Mk. 4 for lift, drawing almost the entirity of both reactors to lift itself, the pilot, and ten fully armed and armored soldiers.  The KPD Mk. 4 can accelerate the craft up to the same speed as the Lightning, but acceleration and service ceiling is noticably lower.

The pilots cockpit is a partial sphere made out of crystal glass using a pair of sphere controls for direction and thrust.  A pair of short, stubby tail wings are controlled by pneumatics to allow the craft better turn control when moving forward, but the craft can not otherwise rotate.

The cockpit door leads into the cabin area, featuring two rows of five jump seats that could carry ten soldiers or a modest amount of cargo.  The rear bay is completely open to the air.  The Aether Reactors are stationed on the upper shoulders of the craft in two armored, aerodynamic nacells, but in order to cut weight the rest of the craft is un armored.  The Valkyrie has a tendency to capsize the same as the Lightning, and the pilot must be careful during take off and landing. "Fast-drops" are not recommended.  The craft does not function particularly well in turbulent weather, but an experienced pilot should be able to keep it from flipping in strong winds. Expensive.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 23, 2017, 02:28:01 pm »

Revision: Heavy shells

By filling the empty space in our artillery shells with ballast of some kind we can increase the weight without designing a new material. The heavy shells will be less affected by wind, but are heavier themselves. This should help us regain a portion of our range on the artillery. The ballast also acts as extra debris and shrapnel for an exploding shell, increasing anti personnel capabilities.

Our other revision should be to make honest strike even cheaper so we can start using it in the lightning turrets and with more of the R1's.

I really don't know what to do about the event. It seems kinda mean to make us write about how we lost. oh well...
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 23, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »

Okay. Nice! It works. It isn't great, but it works. And on the bright side regarding armor, since the reactor is armored and the KPD4 is a part of the whole craft, it shouldn't go down easily unless the pilot dies or the reactor armor is wore through.

It needs armor. Maybe we try a wholesale Crystal revision? Make it better armor without increasing weight? Would also help all our crystal designs. I think armor is the most important. Boarding before we upgrade armor is out of the question, and it'd be relatively harder to go behind enemy lines without armor.
It needs better agility. Just to improve stability, evasive capabilities, and allow for boarding. Would probably be best done with an upgraded KPD which would also help the Lightning.

And if wanted, we can easily revise it to turn the cabin into a bomb bay.

EDIT:
@helmacon We'd be better off making the CAF then easily revising crystal to be optionally heavier. Sure, it'd take two revisions, but then your revision would be much easier and we'd have semiautomatic weaponry firing at the rate of self-loading guns!

This is a possibility:
Revision: Crystal Subconjuration

Subconjuration is a new part of the conjuration sciences. It focuses on the more precise structure of conjured materials. At the level not seen by the visible eye, though it's effects are quite noticeable.

By refining and tweaking the Mathemagical formulae used to create Crystal, we can make Crystal much stronger and resistant to blasts, damage, and whatnot without increasing the weight.

Evicted, why can't the Valkyrie turn? That feels like something g guaranteed by the KPD4. If the Lightning can turn, shouldn't the Valkyrie be able to? Slower, maybe, but shouldn't it be possible?
Also Evicted, do we get an Expense decrease on the Valkyrie and Lightning if we use our Expense Credit on the Aether Reactor?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:34:59 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 23, 2017, 03:33:26 pm »

How about some revision zerg rush, you choose which you think would be best.

Revision: Basic Crystal Armor Camouflage:
While complicated camouflage designs are currently beyond us, it's proving fairly simple to change the color of Crystal Armor to any single color. This isn't as helpful as it could be, but it's certainly very helpful in the Tundra and Desert, where single-color camouflage(white as snow, bland or whatever color sand is as the desert) could make quite the difference. Basically, where single-color camouflage is applicable, our soldiers will be much harder to spot in their Crystal Armor. In addition to the obvious benefits, this should also help our soldiers avoid air bombardment. Moskurg's Lucky Strike won't help if they can't see our soldiers!

Revision: Rocketshells:
By replacing the Magegems in our Blastshells with Aethergems, we can obtain a continuous power supply to power an MKPD to provide continuous thrust to any fired shells, increasing their range and hitting power.

Revision: Relentless Engine:
We're currently using a MANUALLY POWERED STEAM ENGINE(MADNESS!) for our Restless trains. This is MADNESS! It's very easy to replace the steam engine with an Internal Detonation Engine powered by Aethergems, freeing up the apprentices from operating the trains and speeding them up. Funny thing is, our Crystalclads are also using MANUALLY POWERED STEAM ENGINES, and if we manage to accomplish this revision, hopefully we can also apply this retrofitting to our Crystalclads.

Order: Snipe From The Skies:
By having AS-R1(hopefully with Honest Strike) snipers attack from the open bay of a Valkyrie, we can finally accomplish air support(and snipe enemy mages from the sky!)

Revision: Nickel Honest Strike:
As demonstrated earlier, nickel has basically the same magical properties as gold. By replacing the two copper scrolls of our Honest Strike module with a single nickel one, we can drop it an expense level.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 23, 2017, 04:21:21 pm »

1 - Make the Valkyrie cheaper: Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:30:35 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:32 pm »

Evicted just said on Discord that if we Expense Credit the Aether Reactor, both the Lightning and Valkyrie become cheap.
So we should avoid making either of them cheap in the revisions and just use the expense credit for that.

Revision: Crystal Ammunition Fabricator

The Crystalworks works via using many smaller fabricator circuits to make products at scale. Because even as fast as one fabricator may be, many are needed for an army.

So we take a Fabricator circuit, program in "bullet" or "shell", and glue attach it to the side of our weapons' barrels then wire it to the weapon. Once the weapon's circuitry fires, it triggers the CAF which will then fabricate a new projectile in the barrel. If the weapon has a power source, the CAF will use that. Otherwise, the CAF must be wired to an external power source or powered by a mage.

The CAF allows our weaponry to become automatic. We don't know the speed of fabrication yet since that depends on the success of our engineers, but it shall be (mostly) the end of breech-loading. HA1s shall still mostly fire Blastshells and only use the CAF as an emergency, but for the AS-R1, the Lightning turret, and the AS-HAC-1, firing speeds will be like nothing we've ever seen before.

The CAF is to be fit to the Lightning turret then AS-R1 with utmost priority, with the AS-HAC-1 next in priority then the AS-HA1 last in priority.

TL;DR: Glue crystal fabricators onto barrels and set them to make bullets; get (semi-)automatic weaponry.

REVISION

0 - Heavy Shells
0 - Crystal Subconjuration
0 - Basic Crystal Armor Camouflage
0 - Blastshells
0 - Relentless Engine
0 - Nickel Honest Strike
1 - Crystal Ammunition Fabricator: Chiefwaffles
Imagine it - a cheap Lightning with a rapidfire turret. Think of the damage we'd be able to do!

Also a semi-automatic AS-R1. Or semi-automatic AS-HAC-1 emplacements. We'd greatly increase the effectiveness of all our guns.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: August 23, 2017, 07:18:40 pm »

Except normal cost still exists. If we Expense Credit the Aether Reactor, it becomes normal cost, which is awesome, but not as awesome as cheap.

Anyhow.

By the way, we can replace a revision with an order to make the order not roll at disadvantage.

Quote from: Go Join King of the Mafia!
REVISION

0 - Heavy Shells
0 - Crystal Subconjuration
0 - Basic Crystal Armor Camouflage:
0 - Rocketshells
0 - Order: Snipe From The Skies:
1 - Relentless Engine: FallacyofUrist
0 - Nickel Honest Strike
1 - Crystal Ammunition Fabricator: Chiefwaffles

EXPENSE CREDIT:
2 - Aether Reactor: Chiefwaffles(he didn't actually vote this, but it was fairly heavily implied), FallacyofUrist
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: August 23, 2017, 07:22:01 pm »

We need to revise our weapons this turn,  Rocket shell or the nickle honest strike would be good.

Also we should REALLY do the bomber revision on the Valkyrie.  We could even make a mixed bomber troop transport.

I dislike the idea of doing a portable Crystal Ammunition Fabricator as a revision, we should make it a design of a specific weapon, then we can expand it to others.  The anti air turret would be the best, since it is vehicle mounted, so the first draft can be heavier, and it can be mounted on both lightnings and our IFV, providing ground based anti air support.

We can not do more transport or theoretical work this turn, we need something to hit them with.  Bomber Valkyrie or rocket shells or cheap honest strike would all do that.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »

Normal cost does not exist.
Evicted has made it quite clear that Normal cost is the exact same thing as Cheap. They're the same thing. If something is at "Normal" expense, it'd be the same as "Cheap". They're just different terms for the same expense level.

Take, for example, the Magegems Expense Credit.
Expense Credit: Magegems

We further cheapen production of magegems, decreasing the cost by 1.

AAAethergems are Cheap.
AAethergems are Cheap.
Aethergems are Expensive.
"Decreasing the cost by 1"
Making AAethergems go from Expensive to Cheap.
Note how they did not go from Expensive to "Normal".

@VoidSlayer: The CAF is not portable. It's simply a standardized thing by its very nature. After all, the revision is just gluing the Fabricator circuit, which we already have, to a barrel then programming it to make the right caliber. No portability at all. The only difference between using it on the R1 and the Lightning turret is increasing the caliber of the programmed bullet by 7mm. And I included priorities in the revision anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 301