Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: (SG/OOC Thread) Project Buckler: You Run a Suicide Squad!  (Read 8976 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(SG/OOC Thread) Project Buckler: You Run a Suicide Squad!
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »

Final Week of April, 2017:

Four years ago, many of earth's mightiest heroes banded together to form the Justice Drop Force (JDF), a heavily armed collection of the mightiest meta-humans, strangest benevolent aliens, and most cunning vigilantes. The JDF is based on The Sword of Justice, a space station the size of Rhode Island equipped with devastating weaponry and impenetrable defense systems.

Although most consider the JDF to be earth's greatest hope against evil, many also fear it to some degree; Between their many powerful members and the Sword of Justice itself, computer simulations suggest that the combined force of the world's military would stand no chance against the Drop Force if it ever went rouge. The presidents, parliaments, and even people of the world are beginning to demand some means with which to defend themselves. This is where you come in...

You have been entrusted with command of Project Buckler, one of many projects which might one day prove to be societies' answer to the JDF. For now, however, you are starting relatively small. You are presently based aboard the HMS Illustrious, a British Aircraft Carrier that was officially sold for scrap last year, but in actuality has been refurbished and redesigned to safely house and contain your chief assets: Villains.

The Purpose of Project Buckler is to exploit the captured enemies of the JDF, and other super-powered or dangerous individuals. Those with unusual powers, technology, or biology will be studied, and those who can be controlled will be forced to participate in missions on behalf of your benefactors: the American, Chinese, and British governments. Your existence is top-secret, and your assets are disposable, so you will be expected to terminate 'agents' who cause trouble or fall into the hands of local authorities.

---

Character Creation for PCs

Character Creation -

Name:
Code Name:

Role: (Ranking British Officer/Ranking Chinese Officer/Ranking American Officer/Captain of the HMS Illustrious)
Chief National Loyalty: (Only for the Captain of the HMS Illustrious. The national loyalty of the other roles is rather obvious.)

Background: (Choose Two. If you choose two backgrounds that share a bonus in common, those bonuses will stack.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

Also vote for a democracy controlled director from one of these posts:

Apologies in advance for throwing two more options onto the pile instead of voting for one we already have, but this is too much fun.

NINJA'D:
Edit: Unless you are volenteering to be a Co-GM. I could run a full RPG if I have help.
Oh. Uh, sure! That sounds like it could be amazing. Helps that I have a very high tolerance for mechanical/recordkeeping nonsense. :P

OR

Ooh. Looks promising.

I'm open to alternate name suggestions. I'm not sure if you wanted us to flesh out the background, but I'm thinkin' he was part of a special forces/black ops team stranded in a Lost World, and spent his time there undergoing enlightenment and learning the mystical arts for purely pragmatic reasons.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:18:09 pm by Weirdsound »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Super Being SG) You Run a Suicide Squad!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:07:45 pm »

Ooh. Looks promising.

I'm open to alternate name suggestions. I'm not sure if you wanted us to flesh out the background, but I'm thinkin' he was part of a special forces/black ops team stranded in a Lost World, and spent his time there undergoing enlightenment and learning the mystical arts for purely pragmatic reasons.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:48 pm »

Looks pretty good. Since we have our commander, I'll  start creating some of his subordinates:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:14:34 pm by Mardent23 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »

Looks pretty good. Since we have our commander, I'll  start creating some of his subordinates:

Yeah. This is an SG, not an RPG, you only get the one character, and subordinates come from the list.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »

OR

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:06:46 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »

Sorry about that.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:33 pm »

Sorry about that.

No problem. Can I assume you are a +1 to Digital Hellhound's suggestion?
Ooh. Looks promising.

Yeah. You can flesh it out a bit. I'm already thinking with a name like Phalanx, the character stumbled upon some lost world ruled by the Greek Gods.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:01 pm »

You sure you don't want to go whole hog and make it a multiplayer RPG? It's hard to make just one superhero. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:09:05 pm »

You sure you don't want to go whole hog and make it a multiplayer RPG? It's hard to make just one superhero. :P

Don't worry. You get to play with and modify a whole bunch of super villains :). I don't have time to run an RPG right now. Depending on my summer schedule, I may make this one later. I don't know.

Edit: Unless you are volenteering to be a Co-GM. I could run a full RPG if I have help.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:27 pm »

[intrigued]...What sort of help? Mechanics? Moderation? Story? Track construction (as to resist derailing)? [/intrigued]
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »

Apologies in advance for throwing two more options onto the pile instead of voting for one we already have, but this is too much fun.

NINJA'D:
Oh. Uh, sure! That sounds like it could be amazing. Helps that I have a very high tolerance for mechanical/recordkeeping nonsense. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:22 pm »

Oh boy, this turning into a multi-player game? This WILL be good. :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »

Moderation, record keeping, and perhaps some of the writing if you are able. My main issue is that as an English Grad Student, I write looooooooong ass turns.

Perhaps some mechanics. I can do that, and will for an RPG, but I'm usually too lazy. I've just been more or less ass-pulling results for the last few games I ran.

NINJA'D:

...You literally just ninja'd me offering help in the exact areas I had asked the previous guy for help with.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »

Irony was the previous guy. Anyway, I may as well give my several cents on the subject.

CATEGORIZATION: When it comes to super heroes, there are many, many kinds. Distinguishing heroes, what they can do, and what threats may arise is pretty critical. There are fourfive main groups of powers or abilities that I can see:
Mundane: Doing normal stuff. Shooting with AKs and sniper rifles rather than homing energy pulses or electric jetpacks. Would cover most things that standard troops would do, as well as super-reflexes, non-tech stealth. and taking a punch. Perhaps super-speed and super-strength, too. Well rounded, and easy to obtain weaker versions en masse, but usually easy to resist or negate with other powers.  Heroes like Deadpool, Black Widow, the Hulk, and Batman would fit this category.

Super: Generic powers that don't have any distinct scientific or otherworldly basis. Can be pretty powerful at what they do, but due to lack of particular explanation, reasoning, or cause, they may be pretty hard to train. Heat vision, transformation into different states of water, and non-jetpack flight would be included in this category, as would Wonder Woman and Spider-Man. Not entirely Superman, thoughts some of his powers are rather Mundane.

Techno:..logical. But it sounds better abbreviated. Essentially about using super-advanced forms of technology, perhaps alien. Often some form of blade, armor, or energy blast, but science can always go one step further, so it's fast to upgrade, and would be a reasonable way to enhance mooks. Includes such heroes as Iron Man, Ant Man, and Hawkeye. POSSIBLY Green Lantern.

Mystical: Some form of magic or unknown force, usually like that found in ancient myth or interdimentional deities. Often affects the fabric of the universe or something, so it has some pretty versatile effects; summoning, teleportation, reality bending, you name it. However, in a head-to-head fight, if they can't resist the enemy's powers, they can go down sorta quickly. Wielded by Doctor Strange, Raven, and Iron Fist.

Malevolent: Not necessarily a power, but pretty distinct from mundane. Tricky tactics that walk the border of right and wrong, they aren't often used by true heroes. We ARE dealing with reformed criminals here, so this sort of stuff should be expected. Fear tactics, planning heists, general scheming, planting bombs, holding hostages, etc. On the more power-y side, usually relates to armies of mooks, insanity, brainwashing, power for a price, brutality, etc. Think some balance of the Joker, Lex Luthor, and Loki.

By giving powers distinct types with advantages and disadvantages, there is a separate layer of strategy to choosing what type of heroes to specialize in. Admittedly, that last category is a little..unheroic and awkward, but is is interesting. Now, before I think about much else at this late hour, what do you think?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »

Alright. Irony will be helping me, So here is how this is going to work...

---

The Director of Project Buckler will still be an SG character whom anybody can vote to control! Please vote for one of the existing director suggestions, ignoring their starting underling choices.

The four PCs will replace the four starting underlings. Use the following modified character sheet to propose a character for you to play yourself if you wish.

---

Character Creation for PCs

Character Creation -

Name:
Code Name:

Role: (Ranking British Officer/Ranking Chinese Officer/Ranking American Officer/Captain of the HMS Illustrious)
Chief National Loyalty: (Only for the Captain of the HMS Illustrious. The national loyalty of the other roles is rather obvious.)

Background: (Choose Two. If you choose two backgrounds that share a bonus in common, those bonuses will stack.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7