Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 347531 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2018, 07:22:23 am »

Making more thaum from jade I suppose.

About how much mana would I get from converting all of the weird springy metal weapons?

Could you describe the thaum making process in more detail? If it's too dependent on what you're converting exactly, perhaps describe it for jade?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2018, 05:49:29 pm »

Okay fuck that shit, I'm going home. I can just buy a new book and a better weapon with these absurd riches I got a cut of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:20 pm »

"I know what's wrong with you."

Explain the diagnosis, and try to round up a small amount of mana from the patient and her father for a second try, with a hug.  If I can do so, make a second attempt.  If I cannot, make a second attempt with my last three mana.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:33:31 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 07, 2018, 09:16:35 pm »

Keep helping Darwin to convert Jade. Did I get a feel of how much mana the blade seems to try and suck out of me? Can I turn that on/off somehow?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #844 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:58 pm »

Use some blood to coat my boots and lower trousers in Crystal. If the crystal isn't heavy, get some lead from the down and tie it to my feet, so I stay upright. Then walk across the Mercury to wherver the goddamn bandits are. Take my weapons on a sled if that's easier/possible.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
You use up about a cup of blood coating your legs up to just below the knee in crystal. Its a hard thing to do without accidentally growing it into your flesh, and even going slow you manage to nick yourself several times. There's no lead you can reach from the shores, its all in the pillars which are surrounded by mercury. So you decide to give a shot to walking across, starting with a careful attempt to wade out into it.
[3v9]
You walk out maybe 3 or 4 feet into the pool. Its incredibly difficult; the stuff is extremely dense and heavy, feels like dragging your feet through mud but several times worse. At first your feet touch the bottom and stay there as mercury just flows around your legs and holds them tightly. If anything you're at least glad for the crystal because it provides some rigid support; the weight pushing in on you would be enormous otherwise. As you get out enough for the mercury to reach about mid-shin, your feet start to leave the sandy bottom and float upon a thin layer of mercury. You take another step and though the bottom has probably gone deeper, you stay at the same height, suspended on the mercury. So it will hold your weight but...well, keeping your balance is something else entirely. Its worse than standing on ice; it constantly shifts under you, sliding away from wherever you put your weight. You only manage a few flailing seconds before you stagger back far enough to rest your feet on the bottom again. Hmm.

"I know what's wrong with you."

Explain the diagnosis, and try to round up a small amount of mana from the patient and her father for a second try, with a hug.  If I can do so, make a second attempt.  If I cannot, make a second attempt with my last three mana.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
You explain the diagnosis as best you can, though even for you its a pretty vague thing. You explain that you'll need more mana and ask if you can try and wring some out of either of them, though you put it more gently. The father seems up for it but your best efforts don't get much from him, he's grateful but not the sort of overwhelming grateful that would give you a lot of mana. You try with the girl as well but she's clearly still wary of you and everything going on here. You scrape together 3 mana out of the two of them, bringing you up to 6 total. Its not great...it might be enough but this sort of thing is very precise and tricky. You decide to give it a try anyways.
[4v8] -6 mana
You place your hands on her throat again and try once more to carefully modify her flesh just enough to fix the problem. Everything seems to be going well, power sliding in and spreading, when something shifts. The magic starts to spread out to far, like a cup overflowing, and you scramble to reign it back in. In your panic you overcompensate and the power rebounds out of her in a kaleidoscopic burst of light. It throws you up and back, against the ceiling. One of your guards - who have been standing back and watching the whole proceedings - and catches you before you hit the ground.  As soon as you get your bearings you check your hands to make sure you still have all your fingers and that they're not...snakes or something. You seem unharmed, if sore.  But now you're out of mana.

Keep helping Darwin to convert Jade. Did I get a feel of how much mana the blade seems to try and suck out of me? Can I turn that on/off somehow?

You feel like there is no limit; it would take whatever you gave it. And while you can simply ignore that suction and not give the sword anything, it will always be there, hungering for magic.

Okay fuck that shit, I'm going home. I can just buy a new book and a better weapon with these absurd riches I got a cut of.

Is that an action to try and leave the caves on your own? You're pretty deep in, I'll remind you. And do you remember the way back?

Making more thaum from jade I suppose.

About how much mana would I get from converting all of the weird springy metal weapons?

Could you describe the thaum making process in more detail? If it's too dependent on what you're converting exactly, perhaps describe it for jade?

You get 4 mana this time. The amount seems to be decreasing steadily, regardless of the fact that you're putting in the same amount of jade.

Hard to say, you're not really sure if they're valuable or some sort of failed magical debris.

Effectively, what you're doing is smashing the ingredient into a powder, or as close to it as you can get, and then via a complex series of chemical interactions filtering the actual matter out and leaving only the magic that used to hold it together. The matter is reduced to gray ash and a physical condensate of the magic, thaum, is whats left over.

Randolf doesn't trust these shady guys enough to open his mouth underwater just because everyone else seems to be able to talk underwater for no reason. And now there's a guy that has been stabbed with a sword talking in tongues that apparently seeks death or something stupid like that.

(thinking) I ain't dealing with this dumb crap.

Randolf just turns towards the exit and walks away.

No. Go back and express my confusion to the priest with a nonverbally "what the hell is going on here" stare while angrily waving my air bladder around. They didn't tell me there was going to be an underwater temple with a guy impaled by a sword. I want an explanation, the full story. Remind them that I was HIRED just to protect from the healer girl (emphasis on from, because they didn't want me to protect her from danger, but to protect everyone from her as if she was the danger.), not join a damn cult. This is a temporal job and I'm not getting paid enough to deal with this.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
You swim back out, away from the confusing things going on in the temple. You don't get beyond the entrance, instead running into several of the priests floating right at the entrance. You glare at them, wave your air bladder around, gesture in an exaggerated manner back at the temple, at them, at yourself, at everything around you. They look at you with that same smiling, uncomprehending, fish eyed glare they always have.  The one in the lead eventually speaks.

"You seem distressed, brother. Shouldn't you be keeping your eye on the girl? This is the pivotal moment, after all."

It dawns on you that these guys might not have been waiting at the entrance , but that they might have been coming in and you just happened to catch them as they did.

Can his statement be reversed... 'have you come to kill me?' becomes 'have you not come to kill me?' yeah, no. it's a non-reversible. And I'm not sure that the whole opposite day thing applies at all anyway.
"I don't know."
which would reverse to 'I do know', which is meaningless in this context. so he can't fall into the reverse meaning trap either if that's even a thing.
"I was told that you might mean the opposite of what you say, and that I should attempt to speak to you the same way, yet that doesn't seem reasonable or likely."
A statement that SHOULD also become not only nonsensible if reversed, but clearly convey that I'm confused on this issue even if he tries to reverse it, and the goal here is communication, not wordplay. He seems to be thinking clearly enough to hopefully be able to understand me.
"I've been trying to learn what is happening here, but what I get told feels like lies. I think I've walked into a trap, but I don't know what kind it is. People that come here disappear, and nobody has been willing to tell me how or why. I want to help people, and to understand, but I don't know enough to make things better. What is the problem?"
I hope he doesn't have trouble understanding me. If what I just said is reversed, it can convey some weird meanings, but I think he'll be able to decipher it, especially since I signaled the problem first and brought it to his attention, so he should be ready to check for communication errors too if it really is a thing.
talk
"Lies indeed. I have been pinned atop throne since the first ages of men. My heart's blood is the source of this lake. Though wounded by the ancient kings of men, a god am I and death comes not easily to me. For many years your kind have supped upon my blood and lived, and in this I was content, but this cannot stand any longer, dear child. Time of gods is passing and my blood and this lake fester. A corpse am I for eons but finally rot sets in. The men who brought you here sustain me as I sustain them; blood for blood.  Yours now, it seems. "

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 08, 2018, 02:35:02 pm »

Randolf can't contain his frustration anymore and shouts to the priests.

"Maybe if you hadn't been so bloody confusing, this wouldn't be so distressing! Drop the cryptic trash and explain: WHAT'S. GOING. ON. Who are you people? Why there's a temple underwater? What's going to happen to the healer? Who's the guy sitting on the throne? Why there's an impaled guy sitting on an underwater temple with a fish cult? HOW CAN EVERYONE TALK UNDERWATER?"

Why does everything has to be so confusing? I need answers! This is exactly why I hate mages and everything related to magic. I wish I could break them like the magebreakers, but I haven't had any chances to join their ranks yet.

...Alright then. I guess I'll watch what happens with the girl. I don't know what I should do if anything happens, though. If something weird or strange happens to her, the priests or the impaled man, I won't react. If something affects me directly, I'll move away from the source. Also attempt to understand the situation I'm currently in.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 08, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »

Go back to the town. Ask for a boat made of lead. Or made of anything else if that would be easier to get to the lake. Pay in cash if necessary.

One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 08, 2018, 03:53:00 pm »

"Ecalir, Can I loan all of your mana for a moment, in case the teleportation takes a lot? I'll give back some afterwards."

Take Ecalir's mana, then rest up for a bit, before filling any remaining receptacles we have with some of that imp fat.

Then, once Behiar has rejoined us, it's time to leave this dump. We'll be using the glass map to try and teleport out of here. Try to choose a destination spot that is safe and predictable, in the sense that we won't end up telefragged into something or appear 20 meters in the air somewhere. If possible, try to end up somewhere near the town we started at, but safety takes priority.

Make sure that all of our stuff is firmly secured to our person before we leave. Then, hold the map in my hand and give it as much mana as it needs for the teleportation. Everyone who wants to come along is to grab hold of Darwin tightly.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:55:32 pm by Radio Controlled »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 08, 2018, 04:15:43 pm »

"I am a doctor of men, if you would permit it, I could attempt to see if the treatments I would use on a similar-seeming wound on a human would aid you. If not, do you have a plan or desire? You said that the current state of affairs cannot continue, and I agree."
ask
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 13, 2018, 01:56:54 pm »

"Sure thing."

Give Darwin all of my mana for now. Then follow his instructions when it comes to the teleporting map thing.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 14, 2018, 08:15:16 am »

Keep a strong front on things, and ask the two attendants if they could find the anger tortoise and bring it back here, carefully, for me to use as a mana source for one more attempt to heal the girl.  If they do return, do so.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:09:18 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #851 on: April 14, 2018, 11:40:15 pm »

Next sunday, Join us for a nice movie night. Terrible things, Anime, animated movies, weird 80's films, cartoons, etc.
https://cytu.be/r/Unknown_signal

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #852 on: April 15, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »

Keep a strong front on things, and ask the two attendants if they could find the anger tortoise and bring it back here, carefully, for me to use as a mana source for one more attempt to heal the girl.  If they do return, do so.

You make your excuses, tell them that this is a particularly difficult case and that you need to prepare something before taking another shot at it. You step outside and ask your attendants to bring the tortoise back. They do so, though it takes a bit, and set it next to you. It squirms and tries to bite you in its lethargic way. You get behind it, where its long questing neck can't reach, and hold onto its shell. You take a deep breath and open yourself to its power, reaching in to take it. Again, its like thrusting your hand into a fireplace to take out a coal. You drag out 20 mana but burn your hands again, further up the arm this time.  You quietly swear and cry as your attendants remove the blackened old bandages and wrap your hands and arms in new ones. You leave your fingers limp, moving them feels like it tears the skin off, and return to your patient. They are obviously surprised when they see you; the bandages are clearly more extensive now and you're probably pale and tired looking.  You don't bother to try and explain it away; instead you sit down near the head of the bed and lay the newly bandaged hands on the girl's throat.
[6v2] [-2 mana]

Again you push the magic in but this time something is different. A resistance, like a cork in a bottle, holding you back, actively struggling against you. You push, slow and careful until  the resistance gives way. From the girl's throat, something emerges. Magic. It sprouts like a sapling of words, cuneiform you don't recognize, branching and blooming. They bore themselves into your hands and race up into your mind.

You have learned

"Grow", "Strengthen" and "Expand" (d12)

Go back to the town. Ask for a boat made of lead. Or made of anything else if that would be easier to get to the lake. Pay in cash if necessary.

You walk back to town and ask the people at the mining office for a boat. You initially ask for a lead one but when they tell you that it would weigh dozens of times your own weight, you decide to instead ask for a wooden one, a long wooden rod, and a paddle. The slap one together quickly, effectively just using a door and adding some low walls to it. They've got some experience in these matters, apparently; they have to get to the lead to mine it so they know methods to do so. The boat they give you isn't pretty, but they promise it will be effective.

"I am a doctor of men, if you would permit it, I could attempt to see if the treatments I would use on a similar-seeming wound on a human would aid you. If not, do you have a plan or desire? You said that the current state of affairs cannot continue, and I agree."
ask

"If you can remove this blade" he says, indicating the sword, "I may free myself and leave. I know not if any human in these latter days can do so though. Though your fore-bearers were born of divine blood, it has been divided countless times. Mayhap you still have the strength. Try if you desire."

Randolf can't contain his frustration anymore and shouts to the priests.

"Maybe if you hadn't been so bloody confusing, this wouldn't be so distressing! Drop the cryptic trash and explain: WHAT'S. GOING. ON. Who are you people? Why there's a temple underwater? What's going to happen to the healer? Who's the guy sitting on the throne? Why there's an impaled guy sitting on an underwater temple with a fish cult? HOW CAN EVERYONE TALK UNDERWATER?"

Why does everything has to be so confusing? I need answers! This is exactly why I hate mages and everything related to magic. I wish I could break them like the magebreakers, but I haven't had any chances to join their ranks yet.

...Alright then. I guess I'll watch what happens with the girl. I don't know what I should do if anything happens, though. If something weird or strange happens to her, the priests or the impaled man, I won't react. If something affects me directly, I'll move away from the source. Also attempt to understand the situation I'm currently in.

The priest smiles his smile, though there's a subtle shift in it. Before it was obtuse, false, a guise to hide behind. Now there is malice in that sharp toothed grin, malignant joy.

"My my, I was hoping we could get the drop on you both and have the sacrifice done quickly. But it seems you're both too nosy for your own good."

The priest and the men with him pull weapons from their robes; wicked looking blades with tips that curved into a barb, like a fish hook.

"Now, turn around and return whence you came, to the god's chamber.  It would be a waste to spill blood here."

"Sure thing."

Give Darwin all of my mana for now. Then follow his instructions when it comes to the teleporting map thing.

Done.

"Ecalir, Can I loan all of your mana for a moment, in case the teleportation takes a lot? I'll give back some afterwards."

Take Ecalir's mana, then rest up for a bit, before filling any remaining receptacles we have with some of that imp fat.

Then, once Behiar has rejoined us, it's time to leave this dump. We'll be using the glass map to try and teleport out of here. Try to choose a destination spot that is safe and predictable, in the sense that we won't end up telefragged into something or appear 20 meters in the air somewhere. If possible, try to end up somewhere near the town we started at, but safety takes priority.

Make sure that all of our stuff is firmly secured to our person before we leave. Then, hold the map in my hand and give it as much mana as it needs for the teleportation. Everyone who wants to come along is to grab hold of Darwin tightly.

You take Eclair's mana and then fill several bottles with imp fat.

You get all your belongings, all the plunder and riches and supplies, in a pile and then gather around it. Everyone makes sure to have their hands on you and to be touching the goods. Don't want anyone or anything left behind after all this. You pull out the map and place a finger on the surface. Immediately you can see that place in your mind's eye, section of stone path just outside of Glucinum. You make sure everything is as it should be and then focus on that point. [-5 mana]

As soon as the mana leaves your body the world begins to change. A slab of glass seems to rise up under your collective feet, lifting you into the air. Other pieces of glass, each huge and oddly shaped, careen in out of nowhere at high speed, only to rapidly slow down and stop as they reach you. At first these pieces seem to just hang in air haphazardly but as more come, they begin to fit together, forming a crystallize capsule. More pieces come, orbiting the center, moving like gears in clockwork, the entire thing forming some kind of arcane apparatus that you cannot understand. The pieces spin faster, the capsule rotates on its axis, everything becomes a glittering blur of movement as your flesh goes translucent and glassy. A low thrumming note rises into a high pitched whistle. The world around you rotates into an unrecognizable smear.

And then everything stops all together. No slowing, no gradual loss of motion. An instantaneous stop. The glass capsule shatters, but not just the capsule, the world outside it as well. Everything breaks apart as though the whole world was simply painted on the inside of an eggshell, now being broken in.  And beyond that shell, lies the stone path. The shards fall and break into countless smaller pieces until nothing of the cave remains. Now you stand on that path, outside Glucinum, the world unbearably bright to your cave acclimatized eyes, the smell of fresh air and the sound of the rivers and whirlpools so overwhelming that everyone staggers and covers their heads with their hands.  The momentum of the move seems to come all at once, an overwhelming vertigo that passes in an instant but still leaves everyone on their knees.

"Next time" Rufus says, gasping "I think I'll walk."

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:47:32 pm by piecewise »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 15, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »

Fish hooks? Really?

...Still, they outnumber me. It would be wise to retreat for now.

Randolf quickly returns to where the healer is.

"Healer woman! These cultists are into human sacrifice and this whole thing was a trap! Don't free their god or we will all die! He will take our blood for himself, or something like that!"

Retreat inside the part of the temple where the healer is and quickly interrupt whatever is going on. Return her doctor bag and explain the situation about the murder fish cultists that want out blood for a sacrifice to the god.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:26 pm »

((Cave Adventure: Mission Complete
And it only took us 306 days...))

"Aaah, the sun on my face, the wind in my hair, and open skies all around. I am glad to be out again." Darwin exclaims after getting his to his feet and the vertigo subsiding.

"So then friends, where shall we head off now? I propose we go back to Glucinum first, maybe sell some of our spoils and plan our next steps?"

Off back to Glucinum, unless people object. 50 more gold for Rufus from what we got from the Dolmen. 15 mana to Ecalir.

Think about what I know about the two other nearby villages, Funiculus and Matrass. Are they also about the artifact trade?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:40:59 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 203