Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 750151 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Yoe IV of Methiant!
« Reply #14310 on: August 29, 2018, 02:12:09 pm »

For myself, I've never been enamored of the Pantheonists, but for the good of the kingdom I hope this goes better than I fear if it wins. It's an unusual moment in history when a significant fraction of the playerbase is saying let's have the crown hand more official power to the Pantheonist order just because we want to; usually it requires a rebellion and a series of poor rolls (or vice versa).
I still hate the pantheonists, but, we're getting cultural improvement edicts again for the first time in generations, so it really seems like the 'tech tree' is biased in favour of reliigion here. Therefore, I figure we should give it a try to see what fun things we get.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:14 pm »

I still hate the pantheonists, but, we're getting cultural improvement edicts again for the first time in generations, so it really seems like the 'tech tree' is biased in favour of reliigion here.

Hm. How many generations have we argued over the bill of rights without passing it? Maybe the tech tree is "biased" in favor of advancing something? We've never quite had enough support all around to travel down the obvious change branches; in spite of what I'm seeing now even the State Religion was simply handed to us during time skip.

What's truly interesting, in my opinion, is that the Religious Equality proclamation is still there without revoking State Religion first. That gives me hope that we can work respectfully with minority faiths and/or new additions to the empire that aren't native Pantheonists.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: August 29, 2018, 03:09:48 pm »

Hm. How many generations have we argued over the bill of rights without passing it? Maybe the tech tree is "biased" in favor of advancing something? We've never quite had enough support all around to travel down the obvious change branches; in spite of what I'm seeing now even the State Religion was simply handed to us during time skip.
Nah, we tried the whole Enlightenment thing and got basically jack all.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: August 29, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »

Religious schools? Administrated by the hierarchy, no doubt.
Theological conferences? A ruler with no wisdom or charisma won't be heard.

For myself, I've never been enamored of the Pantheonists, but for the good of the kingdom I hope this goes better than I fear if it wins. It's an unusual moment in history when a significant fraction of the playerbase is saying let's have the crown hand more official power to the Pantheonist order just because we want to; usually it requires a rebellion and a series of poor rolls (or vice versa).

We have a Charismatic father and a wise sister. We do not have to sit in the conferences ourselves.

If we are providing funding for the schools, we should have at least some say over what is taught. Even if we do not, at the very least you have to teach people how to read if you want to teach people how to read scripture.

Other reasons to vote for the Advancement of Religion Act (Or at least not vote for the calendar of festivities) are as follows.

A: If the schools start teaching some math and science, we could have an Islamic Golden Age type situation on our hands.
B: Pushing Pantheonism may help it spread into Parsia, allowing us to better assimilate our new conquest into Methianese culture.
C: It could help strengthen Methianese culture in general, which Haspen pointed out with a handy map awhile back is rather weak.
D: It could make us appear more respectable to deeply Pantheonist Cydwyl, which we are trying to woo.
E: Do you really want to give Yoe IV more reasons to party?
F: Do you really want our nobles to see Yoe IV giving himself more parties?
G: We just betrayed and invaded a large portion of our new citizens, have been tied up in several sex scandals, and our happiness is still decent. Our flow of luxury resources is all we need.
H: Even if for some reason our happiness does get low, what chance do rebels have against our army?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: August 29, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »

Establish Calendar of Festivities
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »

It honestly feels bad to bow to the religion, but I'm willing to try whatever. We need to be something other then a constant failure.

Pass Advancement of Religion Act

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14316 on: August 29, 2018, 03:30:37 pm »

Eh, I'm fine with either. I'll switch my vote to the other if it's a tie.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: August 29, 2018, 05:16:42 pm »

Calendar of festivities.

After all, Pantheonism helped destroy Lauthbas.
Also, we should probably repeal state religion and increase freedoms. The bill of rights would probably allow us greater edicts... And maybe Absolutism.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: August 29, 2018, 05:44:48 pm »

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:21:27 pm by ZBridges »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: August 29, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »

PASS RELIGION OF ADVANCEMENT ACT
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: August 29, 2018, 06:09:39 pm »

Zbridges, make sure you bold your post.

I have a theory that parts of the edict tree synergyse with each other.

Religious equality wouldn't be there if it did nothing, but we got nothing from it. I think we needed Bill of rights going at the same time to advance. Freedom of religion is a fundamentally humanist concept, one we held, but that the people had no concept of.

Personally, I want to try that route again once we get Bill of rights up. I think once we integrate our fathers kingdom and are working with an empire of 3 big nationalities, we will need it to jumpstart a common appreciation of the state, and bind us all together.

If we commit to something like an enforced state religion, it's going to clash with the ideas of personal freedom later on.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: August 29, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »

Freedom of religion is a fundamentally humanist concept
I dispute that pretty strongly from a philosophical perspective. The two are not inherently linked.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: August 29, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »

I mean, Humanism is based on an idea of a rational, autonomous self, and it would be difficult to get to the idea that people should be allowed to chose their own beliefs/religion if you did view people as individuals. I will concede that the ideas are not directly linked, but they one does rely heavily on the principles of the other, by any philosophical approach. Maybe you could finagle a more practical justification for freedom of religion in an expansive multi ethnic region, but that would not convince anybody who was not directly invested in the stability of the region as a whole.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: August 29, 2018, 06:46:34 pm »

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:49 pm »

I have a theory that parts of the edict tree synergyse with each other.

Religious equality wouldn't be there if it did nothing, but we got nothing from it. I think we needed Bill of rights going at the same time to advance. Freedom of religion is a fundamentally humanist concept, one we held, but that the people had no concept of.

This makes a lot of sense, but it's been just too painful and hard to go down that tree. Even if this is the case I think maybe it's worth going down the tree we know will probably cause eventual failure but damn if we haven't been forced repeatedly into it anyway just to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1087