Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39474 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 02:08:35 pm »

I'm not sure if it was really inevitable, despite the effect a single glitch had on this forum's views on free will, but yes now there is only the shores of Non-EU Europe Thread and ??DPRK Thread?? to discuss Brexitifornication in.

Oh, and here.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:16:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2017, 02:10:55 pm »

Technically you can still discuss the Brexit in the EU thread until 2019 (or indefinitly of Corbyn wins and cancels the Brexit. It can be done, the Dutch senate also agreed on ignoring the Dutch referendum on the Ukraine treaty last week, there's precedent now).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »

The moral you've caught, I can hardly doubt,
Never on politics rave and shout,
Leave it to others to fight it out,
If you would be wise.

Better, far better it is to let,
Liberals and tories alone, you'll bet,
Unless you are willing and anxious to get,
Two lovely black ee-ee-eeyes!

Two lovely black eyes!
O! What a surprise!
Only for telling a man he was wrong!
Two lovely black eyes!

I shall also take this opportunity to note that the British polling and voting system is quite peculiar, and that I do not understand it. Of course, since I do not know its merits and its more arcane workings, I cannot say that it ought to change. It appears to be working, and I find this focus on getting local men elected to parliament rather pleasing. It implies (or ought to imply) that they answer to their voters and community first, and their party second. Like they jolly well ought to.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2017, 03:42:00 pm »

Where are you from Silverthrone?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:30 pm »

Kingdom of Sweden (which is both regrettable and immensly fortunate at the same time; nationallity is odd), which uses a more standard method of election. Of course, 'standard' as far as I see it. 'Common' might be a better term.

Of course, the British method is not so impenetrable that I could not build a relatively good picture of how it works if I truly sat down and went to work with it. It is certainly a curiosity. As for my horse in this particular race, I am very unsure which one I am hoping for. Naturally, the one that would be the best choice for Britain and the region, but that question seems quite unclear at the moment...

Now that it is all being said and done, imagine how it will feel for Mrs. May if this goes badly for her.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:43 pm »

I shall also take this opportunity to note that the British polling and voting system is quite peculiar, and that I do not understand it. Of course, since I do not know its merits and its more arcane workings, I cannot say that it ought to change. It appears to be working, and I find this focus on getting local men elected to parliament rather pleasing. It implies (or ought to imply) that they answer to their voters and community first, and their party second. Like they jolly well ought to.
While the last bit is perhaps agreeable, on the whole it's a load of shit and we'd be much better off like the Norwegians. Most people I know in Merrie England here concur, Conservative or Labour. I recall there was a referendum on either keeping First Past the Post or throwing the ballot boxes into the sea and consulting a witch-doctor a while back, but people preferred the current mess to whatever was proposed (hint - it wasn't PR).

Naturally, whatever "majority" gets into power - Labour or Tory - will be unwilling to change a system that will give them total control for so small a mandate. A system that gives a party probably hated by half the country a majority when supported by 25.9% of eligible voters.

or indefinitly of Corbyn wins and cancels the Brexit. It can be done
This seems unlikely, unless the Lib Dems a) get a majority and b) keep their promises. I mean, Corbyn was probably more pro-Brexit than May.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EXIT POLLS
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »

Doublepost because exitpollsholyfuck.

Conservative 314
Labour 266
SNP 34
 Lib Dem 14
Plaid 3
 Green 1 UKIP 0
 Other 18

326 needed to majority.
Wowow

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 04:08:36 pm »

Conservative's traditionally don't poll well, usually 3 or 4 points below what was actually reported. 'scuse me, that didn't make sense. They poll 3 or 4 points below what they usually get.

But if those exit polls are accurate, holy fuck indeed. Mrs. May dropped the ball, presumably somewhere in a field of wheat.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:11:29 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2017, 04:08:57 pm »

Hung parliament predicted?

This is gonna be one hell of a night.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2017, 04:10:35 pm »

ayyyy I can get to watch the Beeb coverage of the election results yaaaas.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2017, 04:11:00 pm »

Definitely going to bed now to find out what happens sooner. Wonder who will step up if May doesn't get a majority... does the Tory party have anyone waiting in the wings? BJ perhaps?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2017, 04:13:23 pm »

I recall there was a referendum on either keeping First Past the Post or throwing the ballot boxes into the sea and consulting a witch-doctor a while back, but people preferred the current mess to whatever was proposed (hint - it wasn't PR).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2017, 04:14:26 pm »

Doublepost because exitpollsholyfuck.

Conservative 314
Labour 266
SNP 34
 Lib Dem 14
Plaid 3
 Green 1 UKIP 0
 Other 18

326 needed to majority.
Wowow

Ouch, if accurate, Theresa May will definetly be like "why the bloody hell did I do this in the first place?"

Also, looks like you guys could be setting up for a hung Parliament as mentioned here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2017, 04:18:00 pm »

Ehhh... even if hung, will we see another Lib Dem - Tory coalition? Ew. Apparently not - this would mean NO COALITION COULD TAKE PLACE. Assuming Labour and Tories wouldn't unite, which seems on the bloody obvious side of likely.

Maybe Farron will solve this quandary by giving unicorns the vote  :-\

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2017, 04:18:52 pm »

Lib/Lab/SNaP-pact? ;)

(No, probably not. But would anyone Coallesce with the Tories? Some of the Others are probably the NI parties who would, but not enough, Shirley...)

Slightly ninjaed...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34