Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39457 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »

The labour swing is less than the exit polls expected.

For that particular district or overall?

edit: I assume you're looking at the BBC liveblog, because I see what you're saying about.

It's just one district though, so, we'd have to look at the overall trend.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:13:13 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:00 pm »

She hasn't been wrecked yet. As I said, there is such a thing as the Shy Tory Effect.

Presently the commentators are all "if the exit polls are right blah blah blah hung parliament oh my etc." so yeah, in a few hours, we can start talking about her failure in more solid words.

Still not brilliant even if she ekes out a majority: she called the election to increase her majority when she had a 25 points lead that she manage to evaporate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »

She hasn't been wrecked yet. As I said, there is such a thing as the Shy Tory Effect.

Presently the commentators are all "if the exit polls are right blah blah blah hung parliament oh my etc." so yeah, in a few hours, we can start talking about her failure in more solid words.

Still not brilliant even if she ekes out a majority: she called the election to increase her majority when she had a 25 points lead that she manage to evaporate.

Hey man, don't knock the strong and stable leadership.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 06:37:05 pm »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:36 pm »

The lib dems have ruled out coalitions as well.

so far 6 labour, 4 tory, all holds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2017, 06:42:27 pm »

We may well have to change this thread's title to "The Tragedy of Darth May" by the end of this night.

"You mean she could actually...call elections, whenever she wanted?"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

The lib dems have ruled out coalitions as well.

so far 6 labour, 4 tory, all holds.

The Conservatives say that their Treasury Minister has lost their seat. That seat, Battersea, doesn't seem to have been called yet though.... edit: Yeah, on the BBC, the results haven't started coming in for that one, so, they just think they lost it, maybe?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:50:14 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2017, 07:09:10 pm »

Candidates at a seat get to know how the result is going, before it is announced. Both by their own people prowling around the counting room(s) to monitor the ongoing tally, and the final result is given to the candidates, privately, before they troop out onto the stage behind the Returning Officer (i.e. they already know the winner, so know what 'game face' they're going to display, or so they can ask for a double-check/recount in event of it seemingly advantageous to do so).

Either of these bits of information (even the former generally being far more accurate than any Exit Poll) might be the basis of what Tory HQ is refering to, though I thought that it was at least 'bad form' to pre-empt the RO's official announcement.

Edit: Looks like, despite a LibDem surge, Nick Clegg is in danger of losing to Labour (he narrowly escaped the Long Knives in 2015, of course).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:16:15 pm by Starver »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2017, 07:24:31 pm »

Paddypower has just shifted its odds in favour of corbyn as next PM - 10/11 compared to may's 5/4 and bojo's 7/1

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2017, 07:27:21 pm »

The Guardian is reporting the narrow loss of a "Safe" (+10-20%) seat from SNP to Laor. God damn, that's...pretty auspicious seeming.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »

Paddypower has just shifted its odds in favour of corbyn as next PM - 10/11 compared to may's 5/4 and bojo's 7/1

What changed? Boris Johnson was like at 2/1 not that long ago. edit: Checked paddypower, Boris Johnson is still at 2/1
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:30:44 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:14 pm »

I hope you get Boris Johnson as leader. Him and Trump can have a hair-off.

Maybe the 7/1 was just a typo / misread.

I notice Labour has a strong early lead in the count, do they have a large amount of "safe" working class seats or is this something unexpected?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:41:48 pm by Reelya »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:59 pm »

First real swing, as labour gains a seat in wales from the tories.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 07:47:38 pm »

It would be pretty funny if Boris Johnson became the PM.

I notice Labour has a strong early lead in the count, do they have a large amount of "safe" working class seats or is this something unexpected?

Some areas come in faster than others, only explaination that I have. Seems like the results are starting to come in faster as more of them complete the counts.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »

It would be pretty funny if Boris Johnson became the PM.

You are a madman.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34