Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Stillborn Gods | D&D 3.5 Forum Thread (Roll20, Almost Not Not Dead)  (Read 9799 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

There were Five heroes prophesied to save this world from an age of darkness and servitude- five heroes that would stand at the pivot point of an era, unite the warring nations, and champion the fight for light and liberty.

Five were foretold, five arose, and five died upon the broken earth they were meant to heal.

They fell, their quests unfulfilled and their nations broken, two hundred and twenty-seven years, eight months, two weeks, and three days ago. The details of 'why' and 'how' are sparse, the truth obscured by two centuries of history written by victors, but the current hierarchy of the world is quite plain.

There is no Sovereign but the Dracolich Makkai.
The Necrocracy serves the Dracolich.
The Mortals serve the Necrocracy, else they are served to the Necrocracy.

Perhaps the first century was bloodier. Perhaps then the wild men were a real rebellion, not some group of primitive malcontents struggling to escape the reach of the Necrocracy. Perhaps then the Gods of light and love offered some protection to their peoples and were not relegated to crude altars assembled in warrens and forgotten wayshrines. Perhaps, once, long ago, people dreamed of restoring the old ways.

If so, then ten generations living under the new order have done much to quell such desires.

A few of the longer lived (or simply immortal) species might still burn with resentment, but their numbers are few, and culled quickly when they show signs of organized resistance. Most people are happy enough to eke out a living- paying the blood tax in any way they can. The Necrocrats, by and large, are not wantonly cruel masters, and they are perfectly happy to allow the more useful members of the mortal species to serve them well in exchange for continued life. Ennui is a perpetual problem for the bloodlords, forbidden as they are from making open war on one another, and an interesting mortal is a wonderful way to wile away the years. There are always more cattle to feed upon, and there are always those willing to exchange their own blood for a pampered life of luxury as a pet.

It is into this life that you have been born. Whether into the pampered harem of a vampire aristrocrat or into the hard life of an outland farmer, you have lived all your days in a world where the Gods are weak and offer little succor, where the dracolich is King to all and God to many, and where your very life is considered to be property- whether you acknowledge that bond or not. Yet things are beginning to change. Armies whose roles had long ago been relegated to protecting the hinterlands from the more savage species have begun to be mustered in earnest. Those close to the necrocrats, whether they be daylight guardians, private entertainers, or valued artisans, have begun to see worrying traces of fear in their masters.

The world of the Quick and the Dead is changing once again. Perhaps you sense the prickle that precedes the lightning, perhaps you're blissfully unaware of the rising wind, but it doesn't really matter either way.

You're still going to be caught in the storm.

Here's the short and sweet version: The Heroes of Prophecy done fucked up, but that was more than two centuries ago. Now the mainland of Ankos is pretty much owned by the Dracolich Makkai, and the cities are governed by his pet court of vampire aristocrats. The nations of the past exist only as territory lines for the bloodlords to bicker over, and the mortal races are kept principally as a labor producing food source.

You are one of the little people who has, through whatever means, managed to accumulate a decent amount of personal power. Perhaps you're part of a vampire's daylight guard, perhaps you're a hidden cleric trying to spread the divine in secret, or perhaps you're a freeman bandit who has grown strong in the wild. Whatever your skills, you have the kind of power that makes you start to stand out- which can be a very bad thing when nearly everything in power is some flavor of carnivorous.

The spoilers below contain various bits of information. Bear in mind there is a gigantical vampiric wall of text hiding behind the first one. Do not trust the 'wee' descriptor, it lies.

What I'm Looking For
This is going to be a D&D 3.5 game hosted on Roll20. I'm pretty flexible for days, but it will likely be 17:30+ (GMT-5) unless by some miracle it happens on the weekend. Considering one of my IRL friends who might want in lives and works in Japan, there's a slight preference to Friday nights, but that's negotiable. Basically this game is to get my old D&D gang back together (we all graduated and moved to different places of the world) and add a few new people. The base group I have is 3~, so I'm only really looking for 3~ more people to join. That means I'm going to be fairly selective.

When you apply, give me the times you can be available (sessions will likely be 3-6 hours in length, leaning to 3-4 hour side of things), and give me an interesting character. If you're new, that's OK. We can help you learn if you're interesting enough, otherwise we'll kill you and eat your liver. None of us are really hardcore powergamers, we're a more story and interaction focused group, so bear that in mind.

It might be a bit before things get underway, considering how I'll be moving soon, and how a few other people in the group need to get settled as well. That just means there's plenty of time to kick characters around and geek out about things. This is a link to a discord channel to facilitate said geeking out and kicking characters around.

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: House Rules (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:46:57 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the OP but...what system are you running here?

As far as times go, I'm in PDT (GMT-7), so two hours behind you. If you're starting at 17:30, I'd only be able to join in on Fridays or Saturdays.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the OP but...what system are you running here?

As far as times go, I'm in PDT (GMT-7), so two hours behind you. If you're starting at 17:30, I'd only be able to join in on Fridays or Saturdays.

Huh. That would be an important detail, and it's only in the title. Derp. I'll update the OP to reflect, but it's D&D 3.5.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Just to be sure I am reading this right--

The play times will be weekdays, at approx 5:30pm GMT-5.

I live in central standard time (CST, or UTC-6), so between 6:30pm and 9:00(ish) PM my time?
If that is the case, I can probably play. I need to be at work at 9:30pm UTC-6, but it is just a few blocks away.

I have never played a DND session, but have played a pathfinder session. They are similar enough to be confusing. 

I have some ideas on a character I want to make, but am grossly inexperienced in actually playing pen and paper scenarios-- I am unsure how the actual mechanics of this character would work out.  Given the current time (9:00pm) I dont really have time to write it out at this time before work, but if my presumption about playtimes is accurate, I would like to be on the guest list, and will start working on the character backstory.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:57:53 pm by wierd »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I have several disparate ideas I can go ahead and attempt, but many of the more exciting ones will require your approval since none of them feature in the books you've outlined:
  • First, I gotta ask about the Goliath from Races of Stone, you okay with permitting that? I could go with that and Disciple of Thrym from Frostburn for A) loving the idea of the Disciple of Thrym, B) being able to get rid of the LA via the skill thing and C) MAXIMUM AXE.
  • Secondly, I'm also interested in the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic, which is like a warlock except the eldritch blast is replaced with a modifiable breath weapon and the class features are different.
  • Thirdly, some races from Races of Destiny caught my eye - firstly the mongrelfolk, and secondly the skulk. The mongrelfolk don't seem OP and they'd be an amusing combo with the Drag Adept, while the skulk is dicier and looks like they might have screwed up the LA a bit judging by the level 1 progression rules, but if there ever was a game to bring out something like this, it might very well be this one. The tiefling is also a classic and, with the option to buy off the LA, probably actually playable (in which case I'd be aiming for a beguiler, always wanted to play one of those).
If you don't have those books on hand, hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and I can play Friday nights (being UTC+3 at the moment, it'd be super late but hey, tomorrow's Saturday anyway) and anytime on Saturday.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:00:47 am by Harry Baldman »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Very nice world building. PTW.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Quick question:

Psionic gains "autohypnosis" ability. How does being auto-hypnotized affect the immediate tasting quality of one's blood? I ask, because I intend to make use of it as a backstory explanation, and because apparent blood quality/flavor is apparently dependent upon mental state and life experiences. Abused, it could allow a "delicious" person to taste "average, at best" and thus get an artificially low rating. (Useful for my character build, because reasons you can probably deduce.)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

17:30 at gmt -5 should start me at.... 6:30pm which is doable any night that isn't monday or tuesday.  This of course means that I am absolutely 100% interested, and will try working on a character today at work, here's hoping I don't get caught and fired heheheh!

*edit, I meant tuesday, friday is good for me!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:01:05 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I sas going to ask about Goliaths as well.

But the time might be a hindrance for me joining. But I want to tag along for now anyway.

Also more on true vampires and vampire spawn. What are the latter? Any vampire vampified by another? Something not particularly vampiric at all, like what's commonly called ghouls or whatever in vampire stories (But can't in dnd for obvious reasons).
Love, scriver~

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile

Wow. Wow wow WOW!

I've been looking for a Dungeons and Dragons game to play for some time!

My time zone is GMT -5 and I can spend as long as I need too on both weekdays and weekends to play the game out, however, I prefer to be asleep by 12 AM.
In probably 2-5 weeks I will have more of a sporadic schedule due to some a vacation period.
I am prone to having 3-20 minute bouts of madness where I am either forced to comply with the urges of the urinary/bowel system or perhaps even a strong attraction to the delicacies of blood/ honest ordinary foodstuff.

As for experience and what systems I've played, eh...
I've played a single M&M game for about 2 sessions before the GM backed out and hosted a 5e game of DND modified to be a bit light and fast with the rules.  Since it was an anyone could join the game, it was in a constant flux of people, at minimum four others and at most nine. It was a blast, but I couldn't really call it DnD as it should've been. ((and it was a mess to DM.))

As for characters, I only have seen pre-gens and ridiculous home-brews, so I think I'm gonna go for some sort of Elf Wizard/Sorcerer, or maybe even a blade singer, I remember that being a thing in 3.5.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also more on true vampires and vampire spawn. What are the latter? Any vampire vampified by another? Something not particularly vampiric at all, like what's commonly called ghouls or whatever in vampire stories (But can't in dnd for obvious reasons).

In core D&D (so quite possibly not here which sorta makes my whole effort to explain moot since it fails to actually answer so I'm not sure why I'm writing this) a vampire spawn is basically a shittier vampire (with quite a few differences mechanically, such as being an actual monster instead of a template). Vampires have two types of draining attacks, one of which always creates spawn if they kill with it, the other will create a spawn out of most people, but someone/something powerful enough (having more then 4 HD) will instead raise as a true vampire. Spawn don't propagate the curse.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have several disparate ideas I can go ahead and attempt, but many of the more exciting ones will require your approval since none of them feature in the books you've outlined:
  • First, I gotta ask about the Goliath from Races of Stone, you okay with permitting that? I could go with that and Disciple of Thrym from Frostburn for A) loving the idea of the Disciple of Thrym, B) being able to get rid of the LA via the skill thing and C) MAXIMUM AXE.
  • Secondly, I'm also interested in the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic, which is like a warlock except the eldritch blast is replaced with a modifiable breath weapon and the class features are different.
  • Thirdly, some races from Races of Destiny caught my eye - firstly the mongrelfolk, and secondly the skulk. The mongrelfolk don't seem OP and they'd be an amusing combo with the Drag Adept, while the skulk is dicier and looks like they might have screwed up the LA a bit judging by the level 1 progression rules, but if there ever was a game to bring out something like this, it might very well be this one. The tiefling is also a classic and, with the option to buy off the LA, probably actually playable (in which case I'd be aiming for a beguiler, always wanted to play one of those).
If you don't have those books on hand, hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and I can play Friday nights (being UTC+3 at the moment, it'd be super late but hey, tomorrow's Saturday anyway) and anytime on Saturday.

Goliaths are, in essence, a bit more physical version of the Half-Giants, so I see no reason not to allow them. Granted, they'd be rare beasties indeed, but they should continue to exist. Disciple of Thrym... Hmm, it's going to be rather interesting in a world where Thrym is more a figure of legend than an actual individual. He might be somewhere, but it's not on Ankos. Still, play it right and I won't care.

Dragonfire adept I'm currently giving a once over. It seems a bit better in most regards than the Warlock in terms of actually hurting people, but should still be fine in a balanced party. No qualms.

The skulk looks interesting, but it seems like you can start at level 1 with the secondary template provided and no LA, or start at monster level 3 with an additional LA of 1. Sort of a pity for them... Humanity finally gets overthrown, and they're still in the shit house as far as power goes. Perhaps slightly better than before for the motivated, but e'en so... Anyway, I have no qualms.

Mongrelfolk were always an interesting concept, the mutts of the mortal world as were. No qualms.

Quick question:

Psionic gains "autohypnosis" ability. How does being auto-hypnotized affect the immediate tasting quality of one's blood? I ask, because I intend to make use of it as a backstory explanation, and because apparent blood quality/flavor is apparently dependent upon mental state and life experiences. Abused, it could allow a "delicious" person to taste "average, at best" and thus get an artificially low rating. (Useful for my character build, because reasons you can probably deduce.)

Not really. The current mood of a person doesn't effect flavor too much, it's memory and experience. Even if you use auto-hypnosis, you're altering your memories and perceptions (which would affect flavor over time) but you're not altering the reality of what happened.

So, abused, it could allow a delicious person to taste worse, but you'd be mutilating your own psyche. Tearing apart your memories, restructuring your mind into a woeful and disheveled thing... You can play crypsis with your mind, you can play crypsis with your body, but the problem with playing crypsis with your soul is that you still need to find it every once in a while.

Again, the bottom line is that you can do it from a character building perspective, but you'll probably be slightly insane and unable to tell some of the painful and horrible memories you've manufactured from your actual life. It's also possible that the flavor would be noticeably artificially tainted, to a gourmand of sufficient skill. Ah, so many possibilities.

In core D&D (so quite possibly not here which sorta makes my whole effort to explain moot since it fails to actually answer so I'm not sure why I'm writing this) a vampire spawn is basically a shittier vampire (with quite a few differences mechanically, such as being an actual monster instead of a template). Vampires have two types of draining attacks, one of which always creates spawn if they kill with it, the other will create a spawn out of most people, but someone/something powerful enough (having more then 4 HD) will instead raise as a true vampire. Spawn don't propagate the curse.

Yep, that's basically it. A spawn is a mortal who didn't have the strength of will to retain their original identity when being transformed by the curse. Vampire spawn are still intelligent undead, but whoever they were before is basically gone. No class levels are retained in the transformation.

Vampire Spawn are nasty buggers, but they lack the cooler abilities of their masters. They're basically vampires for beginners.
---

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Alright, good to know. Thanks for the answer both of you.

I've had a MAJOR change of plan though. I discovered there's a planetouched race called Glimmerfolk, and guess that, they glimmer. And this is a vampire centric setting. Can you tell where I am going with this? :D :D :D

Love, scriver~

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tentatively interested, depending on the books allowed, mostly seeing if the book of nine swords would be legal rules-wise here as one of my character ideas (Or several of them) relies on the classes in the book.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of making an Elan Psion. I'll have to look into psionics a bit more (and figure out what vampires would make of a biologically-immortal aberration).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8