Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 37042 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2017, 10:25:13 pm »

Already answered: New trade has to slowly crawl up the links; it's not an instant web of money.
A question on trade networks: Are they all linked? That is, if players are in a line such as: A <=> B <=> C <=> D, and I start trading with A, do I have to trade with only one more per turn, or can I trade with everyone A has trade with after one turn of trading with A?
If A isn't directly trading with C or D, you would have to open a trade route with B first. But If A is also trading with E & F, you can open trade routes with them at the same time.
Err, can someone...simplify this please .-.; Somehow my inner logic-mechanisms aren't working.
Even if I pretty much aced my logic classes which mostly dealt with those sorts <_<

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »

The way I understand it from those quotes is that you get two steps into the system. If you trade with A, you can also trade with As partners. You can not trade with As partners partners however.

You can get second hand trade, but not tertiary trade.

Once you have established trade with a secondary source, they become a primary trade partner, and you can trade with their partners, as they are now a secondary source.

That's as I understand it anyways, but, fair warning, I may be wrong.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2017, 11:40:22 pm »

The way I understand it from those quotes is that you get two steps into the system. If you trade with A, you can also trade with As partners. You can not trade with As partners partners however.

You can get second hand trade, but not tertiary trade.

Once you have established trade with a secondary source, they become a primary trade partner, and you can trade with their partners, as they are now a secondary source.

That's as I understand it anyways, but, fair warning, I may be wrong.
This would appear to be correct. The second part is simply saying that there is no limit on the number of valid trade pacts you can set up in a single turn.

Actually, Kashyyk, do spearmen count as light infantry for the purposes of the Weaponsmithing bonus?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:54 am »

Helmacon has it right.

Spearman are light infantry,  yes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2017, 07:36:55 am »

Oh. Interesting. They are listed as militia infantry and specifically not light infantry in the units list, I thought that was too specifically keep them from getting the weapon smithing bonus, and thus eventually make the other types of light infantry worthwhile.

Question, if you get given a technology, does it become usable immediately? IE: If I was to purchase weaponsmithing, do I get the bonus to spearmen in time for my attack on Maver S? If I trade fermentation to someone, can they build the buildings in the same turn?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2017, 07:46:19 am »

You'll have it as of the next turn.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2017, 07:49:22 am »

So many things are "You'll have it next turn."

Someone invent radio-magic, quick!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2017, 09:01:21 am »

So many things are "You'll have it next turn."

Someone invent radio-magic, quick!
I've just noticed a special event pop up >_>
Since I made a strange post-instead-of-modify-silliness to Cript, I'll edit it to a letter.

It basically reads: "Moving my forces into Owldale, anyone nearby to investigate is a *thumbs up*"
And then Cript backstabs me but I trust him not to o-o

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2017, 09:17:14 am »

I'd be up for trading weaponsmithing I for fermentation I Turuin. I'm not exactly planning on going down the infantry route, but it wouldn't be bad to have anyway... +7 on spearmen (hero+tech) is pretty legit. If you can't afford to build the buildings because you're giving the empire money for some reason, that's fine, you can build them later.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »

I'd be up for trading weaponsmithing I for fermentation I Turuin. I'm not exactly planning on going down the infantry route, but it wouldn't be bad to have anyway... +7 on spearmen (hero+tech) is pretty legit. If you can't afford to build the buildings because you're giving the empire money for some reason, that's fine, you can build them later.
:O
I'll do so then, with editing my turn-again-again!
Also I made a public note that I'm moving to investigate Owldale S. I'll...err, conditionally poke to retreat if any enemies overwhelming my troops unless there are allies x.x

And then Cript backstabs me :P
Woah wait you have a HERO already? [/envy]

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2017, 03:52:59 pm »

A hero is an amazing investment for preserving the lives of troops (Roughly 10% chance of a better outcome per clash, if I did the calculations right and am remembering them correctly), and you should get one. With slugger and stalwart in the mix? .. Then add in another tech level or two for those.

Some manner of battlefield assassination will be critical against the empire, even with heroes preferring to fight each other, and we'll want multiple heroes in every major battle.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »

A hero is an amazing investment for preserving the lives of troops (Roughly 10% chance of a better outcome per clash, if I did the calculations right and am remembering them correctly), and you should get one. With slugger and stalwart in the mix? .. Then add in another tech level or two for those.

Some manner of battlefield assassination will be critical against the empire, even with heroes preferring to fight each other, and we'll want multiple heroes in every major battle.
This raises the question...

Can a hero, um, 'multi-specialize'? Given the many terms and technologies being applied, it somehow makes sense of a 'very powerful person' having many specializations--it just costs a lot :P

Also I'm inferring 'personal hero power' is more 'hero vs hero/those events' and unapplicable when they're commanding armies.
What if a fighter hero went alone versus an army? What stats would be used? Their base stats? Because if so, personal atk/def power would be rated VERY much higher [/hah semantics] than if it was just a leader of armies.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »

A hero can take multiple promotions,  but each one only once.  They each havetwo sets of attack and defence sets,  one used for duels and the other for leading forces. A hero cannot face a military unit alone. If he is ever forced to the hero will immediately lose the combat and make an escape roll like any other defeated unit. It is very unlikely for a hero to be killed this way.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2017, 04:27:48 pm »

Could we, theoretically, research some sort of high-level 'berserker' or 'Rambo' hero promotion that would let them use their duelling stats as a unit?  :D
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:08 pm »

Can we eventually fix this set of affairs, or is it impossible for heroes to reach anywhere near Sauron-tier?

I can easily imagine a spell to summon, say, a single giant sea monster. If we can do that, it makes sense that a hero could eventually be made able to fight it (Perhaps a Monster Slayer trait that would make them step up against giant monster types, but otherwise stay as unit leaders?)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37