Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 36893 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:12 am »

Units with the True Sight or Mindless traits will autokill units with the Illusion trait. The code for picking which units fight will take this into account. If a mindless unit is attacking, the defender will attempt to use something other than an Illusion for example. When this comes into conflict with the Shock/Normal/Support traits, the illusion will be skipped in favor of a unit that actually has a chance.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2017, 05:24:47 am »

Sounds fair enough... I assume If the enemy only has illusiony units left, the attacker automatically sends in mindless or true sight units as well even if it's not their proper turn to attack?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2017, 05:37:24 am »

Sounds fair enough... I assume If the enemy only has illusiony units left, the attacker automatically sends in mindless or true sight units as well even if it's not their proper turn to attack?
Correct.

Units can be cycled in and out of combat as the available units for each side changes. For example, the code may decide to send Mindless units out first, but if they all get killed, the defender may then bring in all their illusions now they don't have to fear the mindless units.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2017, 07:19:32 am »

Also huh, I just noticed this:

Kashyyk, with regards to the new building upgrades do you need to (for example) build a Farm before replacing it with an Improved Farm or can you just build an Improved Farm straight away?
You need to build the prerequisite first.

The roi on improved farms seems pretty bad. 1000 bucks for 100 extra income. 0.1 is the same return as basic investment, but basic investment can be improved by percentage buildings and doesn't take a slot and don't need research. Hum... In the first game, improved farms gave 300, which was the same roi as basic farms.  I'm wondering if you're going to need improved basic industry buildings for better economic buildings later down the chain, right now there doesn't seem to be a good reason to build them, unless you have absolutely nothing else to spend money on.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:16 am »

I like how it says Lower Ostley  has been liberated. Despite the fact that it's more or less been taken over by some other group.
I shouted out "Liberation!" as I took it.

Can't say for sure yet, but it looks to me that event factions behave differently from PC factions. I took liberated it on the turn after they did. The county had no damaged units, and its defenders' upkeep matched the county's taxable income (rounded down to tens, it gives xx9).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:37 am »

I like how it says Lower Ostley  has been liberated. Despite the fact that it's more or less been taken over by some other group.
I shouted out "Liberation!" as I took it.

Oh, well, fair enough then! All hail the great liberator.

On event troops... Gota be hard to tell until you take out the source of it. Maybe the Dark Lord's whole army was in that province...

For my event, they had event only troops in the area, no back up from mortal stuff or hint of where the original owners were. And their upkeep was slightly above the income of the province.

That said it'd be pretty weak sauce if the events actually made areas easier to take. So I expect that they'll almost certainly get free batches of troops when they take over a neutral area.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:29:45 am by Criptfeind »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:02 am »

Event factions do not follow all the same rules as players and neutrals have already been explained. The empire does however, play by the same rules you do. I'm intentionally going to play them badly so as to avoid accidentally winning as a gmpc.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2017, 11:51:51 am »

I assumed tax dodgers would basically be fighting mid-level bureaucrats sending out progressively larger punitive teams, eventually forced to call for help from her in the chain, forcing their superiors to divert funds from weekly banquets into actually training troops.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »

Something like that. The imperial tax is its own event and thus gets special rules.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »

Also huh, I just noticed this:

Kashyyk, with regards to the new building upgrades do you need to (for example) build a Farm before replacing it with an Improved Farm or can you just build an Improved Farm straight away?
You need to build the prerequisite first.

The roi on improved farms seems pretty bad. 1000 bucks for 100 extra income. 0.1 is the same return as basic investment, but basic investment can be improved by percentage buildings and doesn't take a slot and don't need research. Hum... In the first game, improved farms gave 300, which was the same roi as basic farms.  I'm wondering if you're going to need improved basic industry buildings for better economic buildings later down the chain, right now there doesn't seem to be a good reason to build them, unless you have absolutely nothing else to spend money on.

That's a fair point.  Especially if Farms III, for example, were £1500 for £300, at that point you're actually worse off than basic.  The only way it would work is if the bonuses were cumulative.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:37 pm »

Spoiler: Trade Treaties (click to show/hide)

I decided to compile all the notes on trading that have come up in this thread.  This is my current understanding of it laid out in one place, so Kash can correct the bits that are wrong.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2017, 02:25:37 pm »

e.g. Acheron and Borogravia both share borders with Castille (but not each other).  They can therefore set up a Secondary Trade Treaty.  Damascus shares a border with Borogravia, but not the others.  It could set up a Secondary Trade Treaty with Castille, but not Acheron (who is 2 links away).

I'm not sure about this one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:16 pm »

From my understanding there's so such thing as secondary or primary trade treaties. They all work the same way, and you can propagate though them fully. IE: In a real example. Next turn Pork can trade with Storm because they are both trading with Tiruin. After that Pork will be able to trade with the northerners because they are trading with storm. If the northerners were trading with some fifth party, then Pork could, in the next turn, trade with them. Each time you make the link you become the primary trade partner in that relationship, the intermediary you went though might as well not exist.

Caveat: The actual trade route you're using at this point goes right though the intermediary territory. Making it trivially easy for them to blockade you. Assuming the trade network is a line instead of a circle. If you're like, a node in the trade network (like, say, brimstone, who's just a node hanging off the Revkin link) you're going to be vulnerable to being disrupted though your partner.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:30:30 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 16, 2017, 04:29:42 pm »

Or a spiderweb. Everyone should throw caravans at Tir, who is definitely not fixated on the idea of backstabbing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »

Indeed, some level of redundancy is good. you probably want your own personal lines to various points. If Tiruin attacked me in a few turns, I'd be screwed since I'm totally relying on her for my trade and would be immediately blockaded. Even if I won it'd take a lengthy rebuilding process to remake the vital trade routes. Equally, I couldn't attack her without a lengthy and expensive disruption. Tactically you'll want to spread to a few different entrances in the link to avoid any one specific conflict cutting you off... Not that that'll help if you become a pariah, which we learned in the last game getting totally cut off from trade is a very easy and passive aggressive way to cripple a nation before killing them.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37