Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this comic continue?

Yes please!
- 12 (100%)
I don't care enough.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care about this one in particular, but I'd like to see more comics from you in the future!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game  (Read 61954 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »

Journal of Akituh, Snapping Turtle Man
     It seems that word has spread that there is going to be an election, and the consensus is that there is going to be no clear winner. Apparently someone smuggled some dye with them and has made a few rounds of the fortress, painting campaign posters along the walls. If I ever find who has done this I'm going to ask them to make me a painting. I don't know what yet, but I haven't found them yet either. I've also been made aware of a very notorious bottle of dwarven milk making it's way around the fortress. Some initial trading attempts were made at trading with the caravan. The expedition leader was surveying their stocks and attempting to get himself a bargain when Chedna asked if he could get him some milk. A list was produced of the types of milk available, Chedna asking for dwarven milk. I can only assume that he thought it was from female dwarves, which would have been gross on it's own, but dwarven milk is an extract from a purring maggot. He didn't even stop to smell it or check its viscosity, he just downed it. Needless to say, his non-dwarven stomach had a hard time handling it. He lay passed out in his own vomit for a few minutes as the expedition leader went back to haggling, but once he got up he felt as if he had been betrayed and stormed off. I feel sorry for him, dwarven milk is hardly a drink fit for most. Now the other bottle that was bought is being waved around as a cursed object, daring the boldest to take a sip
     Unfortunately, the expedition leader turned out to not be the best broker. He came down to ask around to see if there was anything people wanted/needed. Nobody really had anything on their minds, so I went up and asked for a few things that we could benefit from "Do they have any animals for sale, preferably non grazers that can offer us eggs or wool?". Since I was the only one who seemed to want anything he came over to me for a one on one instead of continuing the group discussion "They don't have any animals, anything else you think we need? Or that you and your bird want?". Urist was all too eager to reply to that "I want some quinoa grain, as much as they have, and I want a...mmph!". I clamped my hand over his beak before he made too much of a fool of both of us "We aren't blowing all of our money on grain. However, if we were to purchase grain now would be a great time to do so. The mountain home is scheduled for a bumper harvest this year, and the extra rainfall that has been accumulating in the south means that their harvests will be good as well. Not being able to sell it to the humans down there, the mountain home will likely be trying to pawn it off on us for a premium because we can't grow it ourselves. But... knowing that they've got no one else to sell it to, they'll be just as eager to dump it on us and be done with it. They'd much sooner just give it to us than have it rot to miasma in some deep storeroom. Oh sorry, I was thinking out loud. I think we could do with buying some cheap armor for our troops. The last thing we want is one of them killed by a lucky headshot, so I recommend helmets first.". He blinked a few times, reeling from the economic trade I had accidentally unleashed upon him "uhhh... sounds good? But if we are going to get armor the mountain home won't have it sized for animal men, so we can just get the metal instead and have it forged here. You seem like you know you're stuff. Here, you're broker from now on. Go get us those bars.". With that he placed a long purple feather in the front of my hat and walked away, mumbling about getting himself voted mayor.
     Uhhhh...I guess I could handle bartering? I didn't have nearly as many aces up my sleeve for the market values of the various types of metals and alloys, but more so than most people probably had. I hadn't bothered to check the mountain home's mines like I checked their farms, but it my previous experience with dwarves tell me that they're probably hoarding all of it. I happened to really like the feather, it made a nice addition to my hat. I decided to keep it there even when not bartering, I just hope that someone doesn't try to swat it or something, I have no idea where this one came from. I made my way to the depot to find the female who has been troubling the expedition leader manning it. I also found our goods here, a small pile of Urist's bone trinkets and a barrel of the mussels we had recently started pulling out of the sea. They've been undisturbed for generations it seemed, and had grown big and flavorful. "Are you the new broker? Come on, I'm freezing over here. The sooner we get this done the sooner I can leave this wasteland." she yelled. Rude, this wasteland happens to be a pretty cozy home, but oh well. I took stock of our goods, meager, but good for the first year "Nice to meet you too. Do you have any quinoa grain and metal bars for armor.". "The first isn't exactly a thing we have a lot of, so it's going to cost 100 Urists per pound. And for the other... We got bronze. Will that do?". Bronze sounded like a good enough metal for starting armor, but 100 Urists per pound was ludicrous "Now wait a minute, there is no way that you're going to sit there and tell me that this sack that should be worth 20 is now worth 100. And here's why" It was much the same as the first dissection of grain economics that I had, so I'm not going to repeat it "...so in reality, you might as well be paying ME to take this grain so YOU aren't the one dying in the miasma cloud it's gonna make when YOU bring it back to your overflowing grain closet when I walk away from here without it.". Just like the first one, she stood there blinking for a little bit, then she slowly turned and walked towards her boss. She wasn't very good at whispering, so I caught most of it "...This guy knows his stuff...We aren't going to be able to sell this grain for much...knows we have a surplus...really? Just let him have it?...hasn't said anything about the other stuff yet... okay, I'll see. She walked back over, a little exasperated "Okay, the quinoa grain is now 10 per pound. how much you want?". "just enough to get us to the next caravan, most of our wealth is going into the bronze. Umm... how much will the rest of this get us."."Umm...about seven bars". Good enough, I took it and made my way back into the fort.
     On entrance, I hear from the depths that gold has been struck. I guess we're going to have more to trade with next year, unless it gets wasted on something. But I didn't have time to think about it's potential uses, a yell came from the dining hall that the results of the election were being announced. I took a seat and waited to hear the results. I can't remember what the actual results were, but everyone except me and a few others got at least one vote, with Gluk winning with four votes. One of the disgruntled candidates next to me grumbled "he only won because he was able to drink that dwarven milk". Actually that makes sense, I only voted for who I did because they said there was going to be memes. A new form of humor all the hip young folks of  the mountain homes are doing. Anyways, Gluk says his first  mandate is to create a grand door out of the most precious metals we had. I guess that gold and zircon we had is going to come in handy, and not a complete waste of wealth. I'm just worried someone might try to jack our door off of it's hinges in the middle of the night. After that a small line formed with requests of the new mayor. The only notable one was Ineth asking if he could be sheriff. I didn't bother to wait and see, Urist was pecking at me asking for some of the quinoa grain. I'll see what becomes of this later, I got a bird to settle down for now.

Akituh, Snapping Turtle Man

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »

Scourge continued to cut gems, Whitestripe at his side as he spoke to himself in the growls of the polar bear tongue at an extremely fast speed, a far way off from the slow speech speed he used when not using his original language "This should be a half-centiurist shorter, this needs to be curved 2 and 3/4ths miliurists more down and left and continued to mutter gem cutting related information to himself

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2017, 02:57:47 pm »

If we ever breach the caverns at some point, do you think it would be possible to recruit some cavern animal men? I'm not sure how effectively we'd be able to communicate with a cave fish man or an ant man, but it might be a worth while endevour. At the very least, we could set out some cage traps with which to try to catch and tame some cave beasts.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2017, 03:17:18 pm »

"Listen herrre, MAGGOT! YOU think brreaking the barrr and FAILING yourrr pull-ups will get you into MY arrmy? BULLSHIT! We don't need fat sacks of crrap like YOU herre!... I'll give you ONE morre chanse, kid! I CHALLENGE you to ARRM WRRRESTLING! You hold against me for five minutes, YOU ARRRE IN!"

"...You arrre in. And don't you darre to speak about it everrr again".

"By Armok, these doors are of exeptional work, Frost!"

"Exactly, chief. I would never demean the main entrance with something sub-par".

"Oi boss! Oi Jack! Nice door you have there! Is it magma-safe? Tamper proof? Should I fetch my set of lockpicks?-"

"Stay away, shortie! I'd rather you didn't put your grubby mitts on this work of art".

"...It's not like I've ever held an office in my life. To be frank, I have no idea on what I should be doing now."

"Eh, I'm sure you'll do fine. I doubt there any crimes are happening soon. Care for more wine?"

*Hiss!* *Hiss!*

"...Grr?"

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:19:14 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:38 pm »

Oh, I'm putting my hands all over that door when he stops looking.

And hey, cool, new friend!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2017, 04:06:28 pm »

Uhhh, I can't really tell what that is. It can't be a gremlin, which would normally be my guess. Troglodyte maybe? I would think a troglodyte would be bigger though. But no matter what I say we hear him/her/it out first. And if they can't talk we need to devise another form of communication.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:08:23 pm by MottledPetrel »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »

Uhhh, I can't really tell what that is. It can't be a gremlin, which would normally be my guess. Troglodyte maybe? I would think a troglodyte would be bigger though. But no matter what I say we hear him/her/it out first. And if they can't talk we need to devise another form of communication.
Looks like a kobold to me.
I'm just going to assume that gremlins and animal people can speak kobold. It only makes sense.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »

Now that I look at it that might be a strong possibility. Do kobolds have their own language? I think they do in the actual game, and even if that isn't so, they're probably intelligent enough to understand things if we act it out or draw it or something. Anyone got a dwarven to Koboldish dictionary on them?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »

Lieutenant KITTENS is RIGHT

It looks like a big MOUSE to me TOO

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:21 am »

Now hold on. We should at least see if he will willingly tell us why he's here. Then if he refuses we can go to the torture. Sheriff Ineth, I believe this is your time to give judgement on what to do with our possible prisoner/guest. We could always do with more hands on deck, but if he comes here with intent to harm our outpost then swift justice must be administered.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »

Diggy thinks it's a doggo.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »

Journal of Ineth Bitespear
  Well, I'm sheriff now. Not that there was any competition.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2017, 05:08:13 pm »

Sheriff Ineth, we need you to help make the decision as to what to do with this intruder/guest. As law enforcer of GremlinFort you are the one with the most weight in this decision.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:40 am »

Thief! Protect the hoard!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »

"Hey there, friend! Welcome to Gremlinfort, the comfiest place there is in the North! I hope you enjoy your sta-"

"Grr... Dleengus!"

"Ho- Hold it pal! I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding-"

"COME HERRRE you FILTHY RRODENT!"

"EEK!"

"GOTCHA!... This is weirrd... This chase has given me a wicked bo-"

*CLANG*

"Hey Scourge, mind lending me that file there?"

"STAY AWAY! Nothing to see here!... Just... Just bring me some wood, and a rock block, and a bar of metal... And don't you tell ANYONE!"

"Her name is Stok... Stokobolrikis. She claims she was lost here in the tundra, and was hungry, and has children to feed... She's currently begging us to spare her life. Hm, didn't think their language would be this simple".

Here's for the earlier request: a spritesheet for the characters. It is completely chaotic as for now (I might work on it later), but here it is anyway. There's one more, more winter-focused, posting it with the next update.

Character Sprites v.1
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:53:27 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35