Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: You are a Wizard-Inventor!  (Read 40056 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: You are a Wizard-Inventor!
« Reply #510 on: December 01, 2017, 08:52:14 am »

I have two proposals:

1. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all future experimentation will only be done with minor paints, to reduce the risk of catastrophe.

2. Figuring out an off switch to incorporate into designs is very important, for the same reason.

Actually, does that book we got say anything about disabling painted magic?
Eh?
Eh!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:42 am »

I asked about that before the last update actually. (Safely disable active enchantments)

The big deal seems to be with painting onto crystallized surfaces though.  Seconded on the "Off Switch" though.

Amusingly, I think I can make that kind of modification for the concentrator/crystallizer...  I will work on it later.

I also have another idea.  "Denial of Service Firewall"  (Denies flow of magical energy to anything inside the area you establish, naturally, with an on/off switch)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:04:34 am by wierd »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2017, 09:05:30 am »

small question... We (you, really. I only just arrived) spent a lot of time figuring out how to make money.

Now we have paint to sell the merchant, and thanks to portals on crystal surface we have an endless mine of sand (we can get buckets at a time, and it lasts 3 minutes!)

so... why not make money?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2017, 10:15:32 am »

I am kinda curious why our wizard never seems to you know, EXTRACT SAND when we have one of these long lived portals either.  He just kinda goes "Oh, phew, the world didnt end, I will take a nap now." instead.

That said, here is a revision on the 2D-concentrator, designed to be ON/OFF/REVERSE selectable. (with OFF being the default.)

Spoiler: The Thingy (click to show/hide)

To activate, you put a finger on one of the small circles in the stylized zones of the overlapping ellipses. The right-most one enables "Depleter" mode (energy is forced from the center, back out into the void), which sucks energy away from the center of the glyph. The center one enables "Stop" / "Off" mode. (Energy flows neither in, nor out)  The left-most one enables "Concentrator" mode. (Energy flows in from the void, into the center)

The idea is that you can select between them on the fly.  Finger does not have to stay depressed. Whichever was last touched determines current active mode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:33:38 am by wierd »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:47 pm »

Two things.
1.) Bold your actions.
2.) I'll have you know that everything thus far has been consistent with a particularly large word document.
3.) Bold your actions.
Consensus:
- Search book for topics regarding disabling painted magic.
- Examine Void portal.

- Acquire new mouse & feed it magic berries.

Responding to the sudden intrusive thought in your head, you conclude that you don't collect sand from these large long-lived portals because that would involve going through the portal. That's not a step you take lightly. Possible? Sure. Something you'd do with more thought? Sure. Going in on a whim without any prior planning to retrieve some sand just 'cause? No. You'd like to maintain at least a thin façade of sanity for now.

So instead of doing that, you do a very-much-sane thing and stand adjacent to the supposedly-malfunctioning portal and do some examination of whatever's behind it.
It's the Void, alright. Pitch black. Darker than pitch black. Looking at it is mildly confusing as it's hard to understand just how nothing it is. You throw a small piece of crystal into the portal. As the small chunk effortlessly glides through nothingness, unaffected by gravity, it quickly dissipates into the non-air. You carefully "place" a regular rock inside the portal without causing it to fly away. Just like the crystal, the rock eventually fades away. But unlike the crystal, the rock fades away over the course of a day. The disintegration only really started to become noticeable in the last few hours.

You recall two fairly recent incidents involving the Void. The first is the thing with the Darkvoid glyph, where you were actually brought into the Void for a while and surprisingly did not die. This is also where you remembered a frequent descriptor of it used by your "instructor" - a place between worlds. It doesn't mean much to someone with your knowledge, but things can never really be simple, can they?
The second incident isn't actually an incident. It's the Void Paint. Your mainstay paint thus far. It's what allows you to create these portals, and it's what you used to make the strange Darkvoid glyph.

Eventually you decide that standing by a semi-ominous hole in reality is boring and move to book-reading. Channeled Calligraphy - An Introduction is just as unriveting as before, but hopefully contains some relevant information. The best you can find isn't quite what you were looking for, but it's something.
Mana Channeling
Mana Channeling is a fundamental aspect of all magic, including this particular form. All glyphs work via manipulating the flow of mana, and naturally cease functioning without an adequate supply. Some glyphs maintain partial functionality or revert to unexpected function if they have mana but don't have enough for their intended purpose, but most simply don't work at all. Even glyphs that exist to extract mana will still be rendered nonfunctional without being powered by the substance themselves. Many glyphs - ones beginners often work with - are simple enough as to not require a dedicated supply of mana, and can simply utilize the ambient mana surrounding all.
More concentrated sources of mana can be channeled from the Aether in particular individuals - wizards, extracted by purpose-built glyphs, stored to be used later, and extracted from the natural endpoints of magical leylines manifesting in this world. Realms exist where they manipulate magic in great conduits for the purposes of grand projects, often sourced from leylines.

It's largely what you already know - that glyphs don't work without mana. But it does imply that self-powering glyphs can still be cut-off from their own supply.

Between investigating portals to nowhere and studying magic, you also find time to catch a Mouse. Plenty of them to supply your unethical experimentation needs, luckily.

You ensure that the mouse is properly captive inside its little makeshift cage, then feed it 1x Elemental-Infused Berry (Elemental Sand).
Nothing happens.
Nothing happens. You wait some more.
Then the mouse vanishes for a matter of seconds before returning back to existence. It seems mildly freaked out but otherwise unaffected, and nothing else happens to the mouse while you observe it or after.

2u Elemental Sand and 2u Elemental Water were used tending to the berry plants.
Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2017, 10:59:32 pm »

Totally let's eat a voidberry then.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 08, 2017, 11:09:25 pm »

So, a void berry sends something to the void for a brief moment in time.

Also, a theory. The more magical something is, the faster it dissipates into the void.

Conjecture: Wizards of the mages guild who have worked with magic for years have significantly more magic in them than us. We have already demonstrated our ability to survive for brief moments in the void.

We could make some void berry wine...

Capture a bug and put it in the void portal. Record the time for it to dissipate.
We also know that painting something in life paint will likely kill it quite quickly, but not instantly.
Capture another bug of the same type. Douse it in life paint. Put it in the void. Record the time to dissipate.

Hopefully this will give us proof of theory.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2017, 11:23:27 pm »

Also, a theory. The more magical something is, the faster it dissipates into the void.

Conjecture: Wizards of the mages guild who have worked with magic for years have significantly more magic in them than us. We have already demonstrated our ability to survive for brief moments in the void.

Capture a bug and put it in the void portal. Record the time for it to dissipate.
We also know that painting something in life paint will likely kill it quite quickly, but not instantly.
Capture another bug of the same type. Douse it in life paint. Put it in the void. Record the time to dissipate.

+1. Repeat this several times so as to minimize any experimental error.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 09, 2017, 02:27:16 am »

The blurb in our book suggests that placing one (or more) darkmana glyphs near the portal will forcibly shut it down, because it will divert sufficient power away to close the portal.

I suggest we create some more paint enhancer pots, and place them near the portal. (after performing a raft of void related experiments.)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:19 am »

Your hypothesis that life pain exposure in itself being invariably lethal is based on what that one time we tried to make a smarter mouse accidentally cased its brain to grow faster than its skull? That's a pretty poor hypothesis, given how it can easily be explained by factors other than the paint itself. I mean perhaps the painted bug will last longer.

Void on the other hand seems to disintegrate everything other than living things....but still might with enough exposure.

so -1 to tossing living things into the the void.
+1 to neutrally applying life paint to insects though.

A better idea might be to think of making the insects shinier though or something simple that shouldn't be lethal to test the low probability that we've mistaken Life paint for Death paint.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 09, 2017, 04:02:02 am »

Also any new ideas on dealing with the guild including finding a place to flee too?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 09, 2017, 04:11:25 am »

Wholesale relocation to an exotic dimension might be workable.  Preferably one with the necessities of living.

Aside from the potential for "crushing amounts of pressure" and "Decided lack of air" in the water dimension our jar connects to, it would be a reasonable place to consider. (A sufficiently sturdy bathysphere habitat that we can safely live and work in would be suitable for most needs, if we can reliably get magic for light and transmutation of material to make the stuff we cannot get locally.) So far, I have yet to see native inhabitants of those localities showing up with a "Hey, stop stealing our stuff!" demand.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 09, 2017, 04:16:04 am »

Your hypothesis that life pain exposure in itself being invariably lethal is based on what that one time we tried to make a smarter mouse accidentally cased its brain to grow faster than its skull? That's a pretty poor hypothesis, given how it can easily be explained by factors other than the paint itself. I mean perhaps the painted bug will last longer.

Void on the other hand seems to disintegrate everything other than living things....but still might with enough exposure.

so -1 to tossing living things into the the void.
+1 to neutrally applying life paint to insects though.

A better idea might be to think of making the insects shinier though or something simple that shouldn't be lethal to test the low probability that we've mistaken Life paint for Death paint.

Since you seem to be missing the idea here, let me spell it out. The void disintigrates things. Based on the fact that the magic crystal disintegrated before the regular rock, I think it disintigrates magic things faster. We have evidence that life paint applied to the surface of a living thing can effect said living thing. The experiments are to see how fast a living thing disintegrated compared to a living thing infused with magic of some sort. (life paint is the only one we know transfers magic topically by application). Then enter the void berries. Assumedly, they transport the being that consumed them into the void for a short while. We can assume that mages of the mages guild are quite magically infused simply by the nature of their work. We can distill the void berries down into a drink of much higher concentration. Once we get the mages guild to drink it, (assumedly in a toast to their newest member) they are transported to the void. Once there, they disintegrate faster then us because they have worked around magic for much longer, and we return before disintegration. It's simply a matter of fine tuning the timings and we can eliminate the entire mages guild in one fell swoop.   

The perfect crime.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 09, 2017, 05:38:48 am »

I still dispute the claims about life paint disintegrating stuff but agree with the rest of that in principle that it might work.

I still think murdering a few mages(I doubt the whole guild, of which this is likely only a local branch can be disposed of in one fell swoop) should be our last resort though.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 09, 2017, 07:48:46 am »

+1. Repeat this several times so as to minimize any experimental error.
+1 Seems like the best thing to do for now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37