Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 83070 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2017, 05:15:14 pm »

Gaia worlds have maximum habitability, even for arctic and desert adapted species. What you're suggesting is a Gaia world, not a Continental.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:30 pm »

It's more that Gaia worlds are magical, actually, since the in-game descriptions for them sound remarkably similar to Continental worlds (other than the mention of oceans). Yet, one of those worlds is perfectly habitable to every organic species in the entire galaxy...and one isn't.

Earth starts the game as a Continental, not a Gaia. It should be the same when the game ends.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2017, 07:48:34 pm »

I disagree, we spent so much time wrapped up in ourselves, building a utopia just for humans and humans alone, yes, when possible we spread that utopia to other races, although not very actively. We saw the end result of this, when a grand threat came the races of the galaxy were too fractured and weak to fight back against it, and we were only able to survive via the sacrifice of uncounted billions of other sentients. If Earth is remade into a Utopia anew, I think this time we should learn the lessons of the past, and include within it a place for all other life forms, which necessitates it being a gaia world.

If we were to leave it as an empty monument to the past (my personal vote) then I think it would be appropriate to turn it Continental. But so long as we're going to earth with an eye towards the future instead of as a view into the past, I think that look towards the future needs to include all the races of the galaxy and not just humans.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:31 pm »

Or we could blow it up to show that we have truly left, no longer needing our old cradle~

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2017, 06:23:46 am »

From an undefended single world to being the last empire standing against the swarm and winning is incredible. Earth should be a monument to all those who fell defending the galaxy but still a continental world imo, sure some visitors would need enviro suits but Earth as it was means more than Earth with rose-tinted glasses (Gaia).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2017, 06:43:15 am »

From an undefended single world to being the last empire standing against the swarm and winning is incredible. Earth should be a monument to all those who fell defending the galaxy but still a continental world imo, sure some visitors would need enviro suits but Earth as it was means more than Earth with rose-tinted glasses (Gaia).

WE CANT REALLY RECREATE EARTH AS IT WAS THOUGH. Many of its species are extinct and who knows how few non human specimens we took with us when we fled to Olympia.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 16, 2017, 06:53:18 am »

Well whose fault was it for not entering those species into our gene banks? Cloning tech was present in the UN long before the consumption of Earth, if we can clone humans we can clone most of the dead species too. And those we cannot clone, the memorial stands for them too.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 16, 2017, 08:52:50 am »

Well whose fault was it for not entering those species into our gene banks? Cloning tech was present in the UN long before the consumption of Earth, if we can clone humans we can clone most of the dead species too. And those we cannot clone, the memorial stands for them too.

IDK, we only had a few years to prepare something like that when the prethoryn arrived, not that the game would actually keep track of that kind of minutiae but still we lost almost everything non essential to our species survival then, or at least I assume we did.

Also its more complicated than just cloning in order to create a viable species again as an FYI.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #323 on: December 16, 2017, 09:30:54 am »

WE CANT REALLY RECREATE EARTH AS IT WAS THOUGH. Many of its species are extinct and who knows how few non human specimens we took with us when we fled to Olympia.
We cannot recreate Earth exactly as it was, but we can recreate the vast majority of Earth, from the ecosphere down to the biosphere. The debate between Earth as a continental world vs Earth as a gaia world is not whether we will reintroduce all of the fauna we took with us or took samples with us, but whether we shall only reintroduce those fauna, instead of reintroducing them in addition to the fauna we found in Olympia or were brought by refugees.

IDK, we only had a few years to prepare something like that when the prethoryn arrived, not that the game would actually keep track of that kind of minutiae but still we lost almost everything non essential to our species survival then, or at least I assume we did.
Also its more complicated than just cloning in order to create a viable species again as an FYI.
We had 21 years with the entire planet focusing on moving everything on board the first colony ships, and if not on the first colony ships, on all the following ones. The UN command was conscious from the start that Earth was unlikely to hold indefinitely, therefore we should send everything we could to Olympia to preserve it in the eventuality that we ever return to Earth. Also our genemodding technology is very advanced, so that is not an issue.

Look at it this way. The UN of Earth spent 2 centuries being environmentalist conservationists, and in the century before that many of the fractured nations of Earth already had gene banks, seed banks and curated populations as a precaution for extinction. The environmentalist conservationists weren't idle in those following centuries, they were expanding upon the studies of those fractured nations. With Earth having constructed advanced museums containing quite literally everything of value to Earth, it is pretty reasonable to assume that the first colony ships to Olympia already contained samples or specimens from every known living organism (including those which are extinct, as shown by our previous propositions to open Triassic Aquapark), as Earth would've had samples and collections from all but the most obscure and endemic extremophiles.

The prognosis is good. This was not a panicked retreat, it was an orderly process over 21 years, as per the UN's standards :]

Or we could blow it up to show that we have truly left, no longer needing our old cradle~
Stellaris: Dude where's my Earth

This...makes the opposite of sense to me. The goal is to return to Earth. Not some pretty facsimile, not some Disneyland fairy-tale version of the homeworld, but EARTH.
I suppose this also ties into the debate of whether to make the capital worlds of our allies into gaia worlds or their original.

I know we can never return the world to exactly the way it once was; impact craters, if nothing else, will have forever altered the landscape, and countless species are undoubtedly extinct. But if we want to claim, in spirit if nothing else, that we had never left Earth, then let's return it to the way it once was. The flowing rivers AND the burning deserts. The lush jungles AND the frozen wastelands. From the open plains to the darkest caves, from the deepest oceans to the highest mountains, we must restore Earth as a Continental world in all its glory.
Impact craters are pretty easily undone with the terraforming tech we have. They cost like 100 minerals to remove, an Agincourt battleship costs over 1,400 minerals, we could legitimately remake Earth

Ideally, I'd like to terraform Olympia back into an ice world as well. I can't even begin to imagine how many species, adapted to the frigid cold, are now either extinct or live on only in climate-controlled zoos. If we want perfectly ideal, universal climates, that's what habitats are for.
Gaia worlds are perfect for species adapted to the frigid cold too, they are just that special. But we could terraform Olympia back to the glacier world it was; the humans living upon it could simply genemod themselves to fit in with the cold environment - it would mean however that no terran species would survive without genemodding on Olympia.

That makes no sense at all. Before the Prethoryn Scourge we were ready to adapt, to improve, to create a utopia for all sentient beings. Why should we let them change our values? The past cannot be altered, so rather than look inward and back with a lifeless memorial or nostalgic fantasy, we must look outward and forward by creating a true utopia. Earth shall be the first of a galaxy of ideal planets!
It is only thus, by staying true to our dreams and ideals no matter the circumstances, that we may claim spiritually never to have left earth.
This radical idea is currently what I plan for most of the galaxy. Because the composition of most planets has been eradicated by the prethoryn and subsequent bombarding, the state of its previous condition is unknown - and thus the best thing is to make it a habitable paradise for all life. But the consequence of doing this for every cleansed planet will mean there'll be dozens upon dozens of gaia worlds, creating a vast network of planets where all species can freely move without any concerns for habitability. It will create one vast galactic core where all are welcome wherever they are from

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 16, 2017, 09:54:29 am »

Don't forget to rename the UN to Utopia when you are done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #325 on: December 16, 2017, 10:31:29 am »

Don't forget to rename the UN to Utopia when you are done.
We've already been the UN of Utopia for a long time

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »

So how long will it take after we set up independent governments for each homeworld for people to start colonizing and fighting petty wars again? Would this be less likely to happen if we had them as sectors of the UN instead? I imagine all the new nations would inherit our ethics, but we're not actually pacifists, and ethics can change over time.
TL;DR when we make the whole galaxy a Utopia, will someone ruin it for everyone else?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2017, 05:24:36 pm »

So how long will it take after we set up independent governments for each homeworld for people to start colonizing and fighting petty wars again? Would this be less likely to happen if we had them as sectors of the UN instead? I imagine all the new nations would inherit our ethics, but we're not actually pacifists, and ethics can change over time.
TL;DR when we make the whole galaxy a Utopia, will someone ruin it for everyone else?
The current plan is for each capital to be developed to its fullest by sector governors, governing over their own home system. Once all the worlds are restored, each sector will be expanded and allowed to colonize their sector borders, giving everyone equal opportunities to expand their borders. If things work out from there, then full sovereign independence and inclusion into a super federation. If someone decides they'd rather not federate, that's ok. Things are unlikely to return to the way they were before. However... All sovereign states will possess all the technology we possess. What this means is that every state will be wielding super duper OP tech, and a federation of equals will be required to ensure everyone uses it responsibly.
Basically I'm optimistic but cautious.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »

Yeah, it probably can work out, but it's worth considering the possibility that things will become unstable.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2017, 11:14:33 pm »

That makes no sense at all. Before the Prethoryn Scourge we were ready to adapt, to improve, to create a utopia for all sentient beings. Why should we let them change our values? The past cannot be altered, so rather than look inward and back with a lifeless memorial or nostalgic fantasy, we must look outward and forward by creating a true utopia. Earth shall be the first of a galaxy of ideal planets!
It is only thus, by staying true to our dreams and ideals no matter the circumstances, that we may claim spiritually never to have left earth.
This radical idea is currently what I plan for most of the galaxy. Because the composition of most planets has been eradicated by the prethoryn and subsequent bombarding, the state of its previous condition is unknown - and thus the best thing is to make it a habitable paradise for all life. But the consequence of doing this for every cleansed planet will mean there'll be dozens upon dozens of gaia worlds, creating a vast network of planets where all species can freely move without any concerns for habitability. It will create one vast galactic core where all are welcome wherever they are from

This sounds amazing- a galaxy open to all who live within it, free to go where they wish without concern or fear, knowing that nothing threatens your existence.

We merely need to eradicate the Prethoryn. Too bad the Queen we got died, or we'd have all species living in harmony- as it is, we won't have any Prethoryn who've turned towards peace and reconciliation. A  crying shame, but a necessary one.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30