Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 83080 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2018, 07:44:51 am »

Clearly that's where Petrenko went.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2018, 08:38:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2018, 03:17:31 pm »

If we can't leave earth, we're bringing earth with us.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2018, 07:43:04 pm »

If we can't leave earth, we're bringing earth with us.

...Sequel Hook? Nah, just kidding.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:41 am »

... So, how 'bout those AI rights?

You don't have to actually BUILD any AIs, you just have to make all sapients equals/not kill AIs on-sight.

Sure, they might not be connected to the shroud... But that doesn't mean that they don't deserve to live and be treated as equals. And who knows? Maybe we'll find a way to connect them to the shroud despite them not having carbon-based brains (or maybe we can clone small pieces of brain matter to integrate into a chip or module...).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2018, 02:41:47 am »

We do have psychic cyborgs now. I'm sure some of that tech is applicable to AIs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2018, 07:41:07 am »

We do have psychic cyborgs now. I'm sure some of that tech is applicable to AIs.
Time for a little side-story

So I peacefully acquired loads of xenos slaves through a hegemonic spiritualist star Empire. I had a species of domestic snek servants keeping all of my pops happy, I had a bunch of strong proletariat bird people (gene modded to be industrious) working on a planet of high mineral wealth providing 348 minerals on one planet, but the rest I didn't have much use for. It seemed rather rude to just purge these pops who had peacefully joined my Empire, so I set about a big relocation scheme. Habitats were constructed that were suited perfectly for their biologies (better than their homeworlds no less), and one by one they were all relocated while my citizen pops slowly took over their planets/terraformed them into gaia worlds (one notable exception to this trend being the snek servants, since they had the irradiated trait they were the most valuable colonists and spread everywhere).

Anyways after I got them all moved into their nice new habitats, I basically allowed them to do whatever they wanted with no oversight. Sure enough, they started experimenting with new philosophies, engaging in civil unrest, and before long the first slave colony declared independence. I then declared war upon this new colony of freemen (which obviously it had no chance of winning), and gave a fake surrender which ceded the rest of the colonies to this newly founded space Empire. As it is within the core of my Empire, it is safe from all predators outside my protective wings. As it possesses no starport facilities, it cannot create any warships, colony ships or even science vessels to interact with the outside world - effectively forming a curator enclave cluster. In this manner I have found a very silly way to give all of these xenos pops a paradise where they are free to pursue their intellectual pursuits without care for resources or strife, at a cost - being stuck in the self-imposed inward perfection of my Empire for all time. Given the success of this operation, I am tempted to become a fanatical collectivist, collecting all the xenos pops to put in my habitats, to keep them safe from the horrors of the galaxy :]

Helps that the galaxy in this one is pretty horrifying. I lmao'd when my peaceful hive mind neighbour turned into a devouring swarm. They went overnight from an upstanding member of the galactic community to OM NOM NOM NOM

*EDIT
Oh cool
The xenos enclaves figured can still build troop transports without spaceports, which is something I hadn't considered. Also in the time since I first wrote this post, the liberated xenos decided to form their government... As an authoritarian police state run by the proletariat xenos I put in charge. Well, that's certainly interesting, I reckon given that most of the xenos there are strong gene-modded ex-workers turned scientists, if I just turn them into a protectorate I can have a reliable source of auxiliary troops - and before long, their advanced labs will allow them to turn themselves into quite the tiny technological giant.

Update on the enclaves, so far I have two of them. The first is led by the Ugarlak, a species of proletariat industrialists who command 5 habitats and total 60 xenos pops. Sharing their Empire with one molluscoid and one plantoid species, the Ugarlak formed a peaceful, if brutally authoritarian police state - with a grand bureaucracy quelling any dissent from the plantoid pacifists and molluscoid industrialists.

The second was considerably more intricate in its experimentation. Its founding pops came from the Ekwynian Empire, a race of mammalian xenophiles who formed a close relationship with the neighbouring moth-people called the Naftkanians, and themselves formed the southern frontier of a grand federation that was particularly concerned with destroying my Imperial lineage, and replacing it with a democratic regime. Honestly I was rather content to let them be, but they continued expanding and wouldn't let my ships through a northern pass to protect my protectorates. As the southern route was cut off by my hiveminded ally turning into a devouring swarm, I had to declare my first ever war to secure this route. The war was successful, seizing the minimal planets required (only 2), and all of the Ekwynian planets on my border were liberated under a new regime. Unfortunately this new regime became fanatical purifiers, and all of the worlds which were inhabited by a multicultural population were plunged into civil war as this fanatical regime tried to exterminate them - resulting in a split between the East Ekwynian and West Ekwynian Empires.

Thus, with pops subsumed from other peacefully assimilated Empires, the second enclave was born. This one contained 5 species in total, only they were so unique as to be all sub-species of other species. Thus there were 8 variants of pops all in this enclave, with some having latent psionic abilities unlocked by my ascended species. Once that enclave was given independence, they began developing as a theocratic monarchy of mechanist scientists, the Ekwynian species being an altogether intelligent race of physicists engineered by us to be natural researchers.
Before long they began their path to technological singularity, consolidating their subspecies through cybernetic enhancement. Crazily, this included some pops who possessed latent psionic potential, becoming cyborgs with latent psionic energy.

To compound matters, a single Ekwynian pop remained under my control, this one unlocking its full psionic potential to become the only fully psionic Ekwynian pop in the galaxy. Neither West Ekwynia nor East Ekwynia has developed full psionic potential. Thus, I am thinking, if a third enclave is hosted by the sole psionic Ekwynian community... Can the materialist and spiritualist transcendence paths be reconciled? Amusingly, the single psionic Ekwynian I have is called the Ultra-Ekwynian Superior. It has gotten a bit mad with power.

Can these xenos enclaves create machines with true souls, more connected to the shroud than most of the living? Rather tragically, after I conquered those two planets, three Empires I previously had peaceful relations with grew threatened and cut off their borders to me. I now have to absorb even more Empires, which shall at the least, mean I have more test subjects to see if it is possible to create the Ultra-Mega-Ekwynian Superior

Keep going LW, I follow your story with bated breath (and rustled jimmies)
The third enclave did it. After much patience, they succeeded in creating the NEO-MEGA EKWYNIAN SUPERIOR

ALL PSIONIC POTENTIAL UNLOCKED
ALL GENETIC POTENTIAL UNLOCKED
CYBERNETIC ENHANCEMENTS IMPLANTED

Upon the success of the first enclaves I had made it my mission to collect the rarest xenos specimens, preserved for all time in my paradise habitat enclaves, distrusting the foreign federations to keep the peace and preserve galactic life. Three centuries of work and effort, bringing all of these xenos willingly (at least, mostly), into the peaceful perfection of my inescapable Empire. With baited breath I watched, my immortal leaders patrolling and observing their data banks and orbiting habitats, watching with concern and intrigue as the species modified themselves with cybernetic implants. We could not have known they would do this.

They called themselves the supravex. Synthetics, machine bodies with artificial personalities uploaded, copies taken from the minds of the soulful creatures they once belonged to. Every species was annihilated at once, my once diverse and unique collection of the cosmos's most endangered species eradicated overnight. Thus they destroyed their souls in one swift movement, their link to the shroud gone, all lost and replaced by the calculated shambling of automata. The Neo-Mega Ekwynian Superior, the sole existing pop in the galaxy too, was amongst the ashes.
So proud and so foolish were these religious mechanists. It had perhaps been better for them to have been devoured by the Jhoolian Swarm long ago. Now the doom is fulfilled, and their warrior drones fly forth from their habitat - they will be disassembled, and this calamity completed.
They achieved perfection beyond perfection.  And then discarded it like trash.

Therefore; nah. Precognitive software > AI, as precog software is more advanced, psionic-based and has 0 risk of embarking on a campaign to murder the universe. Any AI revolt from Olympia would possess all of the technology of Olympia, which is unacceptable, and its implementation would require the consumption of resources & space currently occupied by living people, which is absolutely unacceptable. Any move to murder trillions and replace them with metal shells is absolutely unacceptable. The Lagin'Chuuz stopped at cybernetic implants, skirting the line between making their people dependent upon technology, and murdering their entire species - with a lot more species going down with them. The last time we attempted to use AI technology it murdered two cruisers full of people & sabotaged our labs whilst fighting the prethoryn, going down the event chain for creating a determined exterminator, so I won't have the lynchpin of galactic stability be so vulnerable to something so needless and unnecessary. Also guys please, the game has pretty much ended. I have had no interest in this AI debate from the start. I still don't understand why there's been this clamoring to implement AI without regard to how this would be effected in gameplay since November, always on and on with the AI.

The game does not allow for an implementation of AI rights without AI taking over your ships, even if your ships are using precognitive software instead of artificial intelligence.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2018, 08:00:27 am »

I've gone down the AI path plenty of times without the negative events, isn't it caused (or rather made much more likely) by one being harsh to the AI normally? Doesn't really matter at this point tbh.

Anyway, I think the reason why people are so obsessed with the AI question is because it's one of the areas where (it's at least possible to think) "Utopia" was truly a dystopia. When robot nation was gaining awareness and became lobotomized, that was probably the evilest act done by the UN, at least the evilist one that wasn't very easy to justify in character. You're essentially using a mix of out of character (trying to avoid the possibility of an AI rebellion, legit) and very sketchy in character reasoning ("Robots don't have souls! Their creation is genocide! The UN is egalitarian and not religious BTW lul!") that gives a sense that the utopia created by the story is in fact potentially a thin veneer over a darker society, it certainly doesn't help with the psi path and it's effect on government ethics attraction and religious faction attraction. Ultimately what the numbers and effects we're seeing out of Stellaris are pretty open to interpretation, of which Utopia is only one. The AI question makes other people see something different from the story.

I'll say my own thoughts on it, as they were and likely shall remain, lobotomizing the AI was an evil act, but that happened hundreds of years ago. The lack of creating more life is not a sin, and there are ethical questions regarding it that have no need to be answered and (since in stellaris if it's outlawed they won't be made by private teams in secret against the laws anyway apparently) shouldn't be bothered with. It's over, we can't make up for the crimes of the past by tearing down the future that was built on them, there's nothing left to do but forgive and forget.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2018, 01:00:41 pm »

Anyway, I think the reason why people are so obsessed with the AI question is because it's one of the areas where (it's at least possible to think) "Utopia" was truly a dystopia.
What is a Utopia?

It comes from the Greek and means in English, "No-place." It comes from Thomas More's Utopia, its roots coming from Plato's The Republic. William Morris, News from Nowhere, Bacon's Atlantis, the Utopias are all places on the fringes of time or existence, whose truths cannot be verified and are humorously self-aware of their nonsense. They're nowhere.

Utopias have throughout human history varied in appearance, but they all hold some things in common. Island status, a foundation myth, some form of regulation on wealth & desire, a singularly striking foreign policy, a careful custodianship over its own state, control over the units of society.

1. The Island.
The Utopia must be some form of island. It need not be a literal one, but a literary one - existing as a thing that is outside of the mainland of thought. In Utopia, King Utopos creates Utopia by carving a channel through peninsula, transforming it into an island. The significance of the Utopian island is that it is impenetrable to outsiders but connected to the world, as the Utopian state dictates. More's Utopia is surrounded in harbours perfect for ships to come and go as they please, the island itself forming a massive bay to hold innumerable ships, but entry is impossible without a local guide, as the deep waters harbour rocks, and the coast is dotted in Fortresses. Bacon's Atlantis sends forth ships to every sea, agents in every nation, has advanced technology unheard of by other states (even having submarines in the age of sail!), despite knowing everything about all other civilizations, none have any awareness that Atlantis exists, let alone where it exists. Plato's Republic must be founded in a geographically suitable location, an island isolated enough that it may decide its own destiny, quelling internal dissent or defending from invasions with ease.

2. The Foundation Myth.
Plato's Republic proposes a new mythology be constructed entirely out of whole-cloth by the founders, with conscious purpose. To the founders, it would be the tales they just spun to instill the values which would make the Republic ever-stable and its people ever-content, to its citizenry, it would be the gospel truth of civilization itself. The Republic's guardians, a caste unto themselves, must not fear death, be enticed by greed, by honest but not unwilling to be deceitful, to be self-disciplined & obedient to their Republic, philosophers, warriors & servants to their people, and the proposed mythology reflects that. Utopia is founded by Utopos, warlord and King, who turned Utopia into its island using the combined might of the conquered natives and his own soldiers, treating conqueror and conquered as equals. Utopos plans the first foundational city plans, the first laws which guide Utopia forever, the values with which they lived without strife nor conflict. Bacon's Atlantis holds in its hands extra-canonical biblical text, older than European Christendom, itself tracing its origins back to antediluvian heights of civilization & marvel.

3. Regulating wealth & desire
The presence of wealth presents certain issues for the long term health of any civilization, which Utopias propose ideas regarding them. The purpose may not be to provide an ideal to pursue in actuality, but to propose an idealized version and thus question why an idea must be accepted as unquestionable - to ask one to think of what is to them, unthinkable. Wealth & private ownership presents one such idea to examine; if you start off with a state of equal citizenry, over time the process of luck, success, failure & consolidation will result in such a situation where a few have the most, the rest are destitute, crime will rise and conflict will ensue. The Guardian caste of the Republic will have no private property, and they and the rulers selected from them will regulate the other classes, being supplied with their funds from taxation of the other classes, living in communal barracks and messes. Utopia's citizenry live in a commonwealth with all having their needs provided for, all thus being free to pursue the good of society, free from the anxieties of survival or advantage. Gold is ritually scorned, being used as a base metal for all utensils and cheap products, with enslaved criminals made to work wearing chains of gold, crowns of gold with even jewels being the worthless trinkets children grow out of. The Kings wear grey, the slaves wear silk. The Atlanteans trade for one thing alone, holding gold, silver, jewels, silk, spices or any other commodity only to trade with other nations for one thing alone: Knowledge.

4. A singularly striking foreign policy.
Alternatively, a singularly unnoticeable foreign policy.
This couples into them being literary islands. It's a lot harder to find or reach Utopia, than it is for Utopia to find and interfere with outside dudes. Thus in Utopia it is impossible to bribe anyone, because outsiders possess nothing to bribe them with, and it's incredibly hard to reach them anyways. In Atlantis the Atlanteans have agents in the nations of every country, collecting knowledge using the flags of foreign nations to hide their intent, and being on the fringes of the New World, none are yet to discover their location. The Republic's Guardians are mentally and physically well equipped and geographically located to defend the Republic from any outside invasion. Utopia undermines its enemies, replacing them in regime changes funded by their gold, or else havoc is wrought with mercenaries bought from warlike tribes. The Utopias can look outwards freely and send out their ships, but none can find Utopia without them willing it.

5. Careful custodianship over its own state
Whatever is a threat to the stability of the state is done away with. Thus in Utopia there is religious freedom, but religions which seek to aggressively proselytize are shut down, both for the same reason: The preservation of public peace. Wealth is discredited for the long-term threat it poses, foreign threats neutralized or befuddled, the citizenry kept in various states of knowledge or ignorance over what they may desire, or are yet to think they may desire, removing avaricious principles from public mode of thought in order to keep all thinking about the common good and not the individual good. In the Republic it is not at all a matter of concern that the Guardians have no freedom and little happiness, nor the citizenry who although free, have little liberty - the system is stable and maximizes the common justness and happiness of the Republic. Atlantis strives to find and collect all knowledge, yet what knowledge is published to the Atlanteans at large is dictated by a select few curators, deciding upon what knowledge profits the people of Atlantis.

6. Deciding the unit of society
What is the fundamental unit of Utopia? The individual person, the family, the city, the nation and if any larger unit, what structure does the family, city or nation exist in? This is not very relevant to this LP, because for us, the smallest unit is the Pop, our ethos dictates the smallest constituent of the pop is the individual, and thus the matter is already decided by the game.

Beyond those commonalities, each Utopia is distinct. They certainly do not have any moral stipulations against venturing forth beyond Utopia, Atlantis would find our initial refusal to collect knowledge from beyond vomit-inducing and so on. Yet if you've made it this far into the LP, then I shan't bore you with more indirectly-related deepest lore. However, directly related deepest lore is legitimate.

The United Nations of Earth and Utopia, 2200-2400
In the year 2200, President Muwanga centralizes all of Earth under one banner: The United Nations. 79 years and 1 month later all poverty is ended on planet Earth, with Utopian economics fulfilling all the material wants of every citizen, allowing them to truly work towards whatever they please without concern for survival. The UN of Earth is like Atlantis, hidden away in the dark recesses of the galaxy, unknown to most.
In the year 2300, the UN of Earth makes contact with the Adnori & Belmacosans. Like Atlantis, the UN of Earth trades its abundant riches (for which is holds no value) in exchange for the knowledge the Belmacosans possessed. It rebuilds the Second Belmacosan Republic, using it to bolster its foreign policy, and though it exports humans no Belmacosans need to be imported, with Earth having satisfied all of its labour needs long ago. Earth is at this point completely inaccessible, the Mandasurans protecting us from any visits by any other space vessels, and themselves blocked from attacking us due to the protection of the Belmacosan Republic.
In the year 2400, the UN of Earth and the Union of Mars part ways, the Prethoryn Scourge attack, the UN of Earth opens diplomatic channels with the entire known galaxy's states.

The United Nations of Olympia and Utopia, 2400-2895
Between the years 2400-2433, Earth re-purposes its whole population to the evacuation or funding of the long-war. The UN relocates to Olympia after Earth falls.
Between the years 2433-2785, the United Nations wages absolute war against the Prethoryn Scourge, fighting to secure a future for the last remnants of the galaxy. It is victorious, and seeks a repopulation of the galaxy with as many of the remnant species that once held sway here and there. Besides some hiccups with the second scourge invasion, the era of the UNO comes to an end in 2895.

The Five Federations / The Union of United Nations and Utopia, 2895-now
Like Utopia, the galaxy is now an artificial construction made by united workers. Only, instead of creating a lone island out of a peninsula, a commonwealth of gaia planets and habitats has been constructed across the galaxy. The galaxy is open to all traffic, but only by the permission of its states, with the entire galaxy being one beautiful harbour guarded by an immense multitude of advanced Fortresses & Fleets. Its foundation myths are many: The continuity of the United Nations makes the UN the oldest surviving civilization post-prethoryn scourge, it was the guardian of the galaxy, its knowledge, its peoples and the present guardian ensuring it remains the galactic Utopia. From President Muwanga to "one month" Qiang Shen to Admiral Mira Petrenko, auxiliary myths uphold the mission of the UN. Wealth is meaningless in its abundance, there is simply no need to hoard it when it is freely available always, produced with no cost to the environment owing to the advanced technology of the UNO. There is no hostility needed to be factored in when it comes to foreign policy, all foreign policy focuses around building mutual-trust and mutual-defence, to the point where even the most unexpected of threats would have trouble facing the adaptability of so many federated states. By virtue of its small size, it is a lot easier for pops to be exported from UNO than it is for any to be imported in, the only times being when space is deliberately made with the occasional construction of habitats. The state has relaxed its information controls to the point of maximum liberty and freedom, with all authorities being limited in terms and power consolidation, the one Lycurgan threat having gone on self-imposed exile. Its values of fanatic individualism & xenophilia, promoted by the state, ensure stability throughout the millennia, whoever the people of the UUN share their space with. Even the presence of CEU or HAM-like factions has not threatened the stability of UNO, or the states of any federated state in the galaxy. Happy citizens support the ethos of their governments, and happiness is maximized for the majority in all states using Utopian economics. Even the removal of psionic buffers such as Mira has not affected the stability of the galactic order. This is a Utopia; its stability and happiness fulfilled.

When Robot Nation was gaining awareness and became lobotomized, it was the one that was particularly easy for me to justify in character, but difficult for a lot here to accept, because I was running off of the ethics system in game whilst discussing with people who had never played the game before.
A look at the ethics of Stellaris:
Quote from: Authoritarian
A single voice, a single throne, a single state. It is the solemn duty of the masses to obey those enlightened few who have been charged with the great responsibility of leadership.
A strong, guiding hand is essential to the success of any civilization - the alternative would be anarchy and chaos. It is the duty of the state to steer its citizens towards the paths that are the most productive.
Quote from: Egalitarian
Beware always those who would be despots, under the false presumption that their desires and agendas are somehow more imperative than those of their fellows. A society that does not see to the needs and rights of all of its members is not a society - it is a crime.
Any society that does not embrace equality between its members - where an individual can rise to any position with enough hard work - is not only deeply unfair, but ultimately counterproductive.
The conflict between Authoritarian-Egalitarian determines the structure of the state and the importance it holds on the individual. As Fanatic Egalitarians we placed the highest value on the individual, not only allowing them to choose their own paths, but supporting them to do so.

Quote from: Xenophobe
Any alien influence must be ruthlessly quashed. Only by staying pure, and true to ourselves and the planet that gave us life can we guard against insidious Xeno plots. Even mastery over the Alien might not be enough to guarantee our own safety...
The stakes could not be higher as we reach into the vast uncharted expanses of the galaxy, for we are gambling with the very survival of our species! Never trust the alien; its false smile hides an unknowable mind...
Quote from: Xenophile
If there ever was such a thing as an absolute moral imperative, it would be to explore the cosmos and embrace all within it. We were never meant to journey alone.
There exists, in all of us, a deep-seated fascination for the unknown. An adventurous spirit that rejects the familiar and glories in the unfamiliar, whatever - or whomever - it may be.
The Xenophobe-Xenophile conflict centres over whether it be better to risk existence besides the unfamiliar, who carry agendas unknown, or embrace them in a shared destiny of the familiar & unknown. As Xenophiles we pursued the latter, being fascinated with the xenos even when they wished us harm, seeking to carry them with us when the scourge arrived.

Quote from: Militiarist
The ability to project force is of paramount importance. The only way to preserve our way of life is to make sure everyone shares it; willingly or not...
The only true virtues are courage and discipline, and channeled properly they can overcome any obstacle. Therein lies true strength; force withheld, a promise made.
Quote from: Pacifist
As civilized beings, the end of all armed conflict should be our primary concern. War is an evolutionary dead end, as futile as it is wasteful.
Conflict as a means to an end is a ridiculous concept. It is by nature destructive, destroying what was to be obtained or giving room to grow that which was to be destroyed.
The Militiarist-Pacifist split dictates how much the society idolizes or shuns warfare. The former wants to turn the galaxy into a big battlefield, the latter would rather not. Though our state was neither, the Pacifist faction was one of the strongest and the Militiarist faction never popped, coupled with the conscious efforts of the UN to be peaceful, we were de facto at least moderate pacifists.

Quote from: Materialist
Although it hurts, we must grow up and put aside our outdated notions of morality. There is no 'divine spark' granting special value to a living mind. No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it. Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things!
As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
Quote from: Spiritualist
Our science has proved that Consciousness begets reality. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves it is the other way around, as they play with their blocks of 'hard matter'.  There are those think it behooves us to remember how tiny we are, how pointless our lives in this vast uncaring universe... What nonsense! The only truth we can ever know is that of our own existence. The universe - in all its apparent glory - is but a dream we all happen to share.
Lastly, the conflict between Materialist-Spiritualist. Nothing in this playthrough has agreed with fanatic materialism. The fanatic materialists say morality is outdated, but the UN Mission has been focused on the absolute and real Value of living minds, whether they be mammalian or plantoid, on the basis that they have intrinsic Value and their Rights exist in Real Principle.  Instead of modifying our species to embrace maximum efficiency in all things, we modified them based upon what would give them greatest contentedness, health & freedom. Instead of finding reality cruel or unforgiving, pursuing science with reckless abandon to secure the survival of our race, we focused upon harmony and prosperity. Instead of declaring that nothing matters: We declared that everything mattered, that we would defend all life to the end, and saw that beyond the material Universe, there was the shroud and the Unbidden, and more things to see for sure.

In all the centuries of this UN playthrough there has never been a single materialist faction. The Spiritualist faction has existed since 2396, its Leadership inherited by Mira Petrenko. In all of the UN not a single pop believed in materialism, in contrast to the Church of Spiritualism & Philosophy, or its antecedent The Union of Traditional Values. The discovery of psionic tech, the reverence of Gaia worlds, the shroud, the psionic ascension path, all these things made the Spiritualist faction larger, happier & supportive of the secular state of the UN. Consequently:
The UN is egalitarian and not religious BTW lul!
It leads to these subtleties being entirely lost. The UN is egalitarian and secular, so much so that its secular state annoys the spiritualist faction. Yet it is a secular state ruling over spiritualist peoples, and is not a concept any more confusing than a secular state ruling over the religious, much as in Utopia, it is a secular state ruling over the religious. In the absence of materialist ethics in the state, there is only one, singular faction which supports synthetic creation: It is the materialist one, naturally. In fact, if you outlaw synths and have none whilst another state does, your materialist faction gives -25% happiness to all of its member pops.
Every other faction in the game has absolutely zero penalty to disassembling synthetics, treating them as the name "synthetic" suggests, an imitation of life. This is very simply observed in how factions will not mechanically allow or will heavily penalize actions which go against their ethos; a materialist cannot outlaw synthetics, because the materialist sees synthetics as no different from themselves. We as fanatic individualists cannot purge pops, but recycling robots & synths is no issue. A society in which materialism does not exist and the spiritualism faction does is not going to see any point in creating non-living entities whose sole purpose is to exist and consume resources, resources which could have been used for actual living beings. Thus people's out of character reasonings that we should adopt AI because it could provide us with mechanical benefits did not make sense to me, because it provided none whilst providing notable (perilous!) disadvantages & risks. People's in character reasonings that AI were either living beings, or sapient non-living beings, would not make sense to a peoples whose population of fanatic materialists or materialists numbered 0 - and there's no way in Hell any rational human in such a society would advocate increasing the number of weapon-systems AI controlled after incidents involving AI killing ships full of humans, killing themselves or replicating in number. The fanatic materialist view that the recycling of so many computers was a genocide, because the computers were sufficiently advanced, simply has no bearing with humans who were dealing with a genocidal threat whilst the AI they used sabotaged their defence efforts - every bit of event text made it clear, the humans were simply replacing defective machinery as they had done for centuries, it violated no moral system of theirs. And that's before factoring in Mira's faction!

"Utopia" was truly a dystopia... When robot nation was gaining awareness and became lobotomized, that was probably the evilest act done by the UN, at least the evilist one that wasn't very easy to justify in character. You're essentially using a mix of out of character... and very sketchy in character reasoning... that gives a sense that the utopia created by the story is in fact potentially a thin veneer over a darker society, it certainly doesn't help with the psi path and it's effect on government ethics attraction and religious faction attraction.
...Thus concluding, "Utopia" doesn't come close to being a Dystopia. Everyone, even those who wish to overturn the state, are free to live as they wish with all of their needs satiated. Utopias do not even necessarily require liberty, consequently that the Union of United Nations guarantees both Freedom & Liberty in its maximum is even better. Is the society of this Utopia a bright image pasted upon something darker? Well, I wouldn't say it's darker, because nothing is arising from evil or causing great unhappiness, on the contrary, happiness is maximized. But Utopias in general and this one as well will have features that disturb our sensibilities and philosophies. I certainly think living in such a society as this Utopia would incur such a level of concord as to remove individuality. It in particular lends to an odd science fiction rendition of the issues of Liberty vs Freedom in Utopias. They usually guarantee freedom, but restrict liberty, and this one is weird. Using Orbital Mind Control Lasers as the baseline, the lasers provide 50% government ethics attraction bonus, a psionic ruler provides +10%, a psionic chosen one provides +30%, planetary reeducation +50% for 10 years, information quarantine +25% at the cost of political influence. Exactly how psionic leaders provide +10% ethics attraction is not explained, but I take it to mean that the psioinic ruler is influencing the population with their psionic abilities.
Thus if you elect a psionic chosen one President, that's a +30% ethics attraction to individualism. Effectively the President is making you believe in your own innate value and freedom with mindbeams. Can one be made to be free by mindbeams? And thus like Lycurgus, Mira fucked off to another dimension; with all psionics being about equal in power, removing this problem of whether a free will can be imposed.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:00 pm »

That was a fucking fascinating wall of text.  I approve.

There is a quote:

Quote from: James Madison, founding father of the United States of America
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »

When Robot Nation was gaining awareness and became lobotomized, it was the one that was particularly easy for me to justify in character, but difficult for a lot here to accept, because I was running off of the ethics system in game whilst discussing with people who had never played the game before.

I somewhat think this is a bit of a mischaracterization, although I've clearly not played the game nearly as much as you, at the time of this argument I had played for about a hundred hours, and I found myself agreeing with the general thrust of the prorobot arguments, at least the ones who said it was immoral to lobotomize them, even if not the specifics. That said, I also agreed with you from a mechanical standpoint that it was the right choice to make from a game perspective. The AI rebellion is, mechanically, completely bs. Not that important, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Lastly, the conflict between Materialist-Spiritualist. Nothing in this playthrough has agreed with fanatic materialism. The fanatic materialists say morality is outdated, but the UN Mission has been focused on the absolute and real Value of living minds, whether they be mammalian or plantoid, on the basis that they have intrinsic Value and their Rights exist in Real Principle.  Instead of modifying our species to embrace maximum efficiency in all things, we modified them based upon what would give them greatest contentedness, health & freedom. Instead of finding reality cruel or unforgiving, pursuing science with reckless abandon to secure the survival of our race, we focused upon harmony and prosperity. Instead of declaring that nothing matters: We declared that everything mattered, that we would defend all life to the end, and saw that beyond the material Universe, there was the shroud and the Unbidden, and more things to see for sure.

This is why I say you're taking a spiritualist bent even if you don't officially embrace it as your government ethics. This is a supremely spiritualist focused look at materialism at how it interacted with this game, it's not even accurate to the fanatic materialist quote you've included.

Quote from: Materialism
Although it hurts, we must grow up and put aside our outdated notions of morality. There is no 'divine spark' granting special value to a living mind. No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it. Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things!
As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.

It's not that morality is outdated, simply that any outdated notions of it we must discard. To value a living mind over an artificial one is a spiritual stance, not an egalitarian one. The ethic says you can grant value to anything you wish, just that it must be acknowledged to not be intrinsic, and thus you must actually justify the value you give to it, this is tied into the idea that outdated morality must be discarded of course, you have to examine your own values before blindly deciding to keep them. You optimized your species for the highest efficiency in, as you say, contentedness, health & freedom (until it became expedient to optimize for growth speed at least...) I don't see the conflict here between that an Materialism in principle (in actuality, of course, maybe not). Materialism asks that you examine and justify your decisions, your emotions, that you don't place value and make assumptions without careful consideration. To think of it as decreeing middle school level nihilism as the policy of the day is to always twist it into the worst possible form you can, to make it easier to argue against. Ultimately, reality is cruel and unforgiving, and you can't start to change that until you've acknowledged it. A lesson that humanity did learn only barely before it was too late (and, frankly, if you're taking a purely "by the game" approach, humanity didn't learn until it was too late, as victory came on the back of modding.)

And of course, all of that is simply a way to read materialism, no more valid then the way you read it in your post. But, I think, equally and importantly and why the discussion happens, no less valid.

Except of course the matter of the powers of the mind and the existence of the shroud. In which the Materialists are dummies, that really is forced to always be the worst possible way to handle it in stellaris.  ::), the same way that the spiritualist faction is forced to always assume the worst about robots.

The UN is egalitarian and not religious BTW lul!
It leads to these subtleties being entirely lost. The UN is egalitarian and secular, so much so that its secular state annoys the spiritualist faction. Yet it is a secular state ruling over spiritualist peoples, and is not a concept any more confusing than a secular state ruling over the religious, much as in Utopia, it is a secular state ruling over the religious.

The proposal I'm making is that the UN was secular in name only. Or at least, it's a valid interpretation to think of it that way. In every way but embracing the faction, you did everything in a spiritualist way. Now, what's the difference between a spiritual society that's officially secular, even if not in practice, and one that's secular, but allows the expression of spiritualism? Frankly, stellaris doesn't have enough decisions to make within it to differentiate these two things. The only choice you really have is in the question of synths (and arguably the ridiculousness of tomb worlds) which of course you answered wholeheartedly spiritualistly. This is like a personality test with a single question with three options. The fidelity is so low that you can practically draw whatever answer you want out of it.

Every other faction in the game has absolutely zero penalty to disassembling synthetics, treating them as the name "synthetic" suggests, an imitation of life. This is very simply observed in how factions will not mechanically allow or will heavily penalize actions which go against their ethos; a materialist cannot outlaw synthetics, because the materialist sees synthetics as no different from themselves. We as fanatic individualists cannot purge pops, but recycling robots & synths is no issue.

Although they'll not care about disassembly OR PURGES but egalitarians DO care if you restrict synth movements so long as synths have rights. Which is bizarre, because synths (sadly) don't migrate anyway. Egalitarians CAN purge, it's the Xenophile ethic that prevents and punishes purging. I think there's a lot of ways to consider what that actually means. However, I think that egalitarians are unconcerned with the question of who is a person, it's just that once that question is answered that they start to apply their philosophy of freedom and personal choice.

At any rate,  I agree that absent a materialist ethic or faction, it doesn't make in character sense to INCREASE the number of artificial intelligence purposefully, but neither without a spiritualist does it make sense to decrease them, such as by lobotomizing and inslaving robot nation when it started to awaken. That was not a neutral or egalitarian action, but purely a spiritualist one, and path that, from my reading of the thread, you lead the people down with psionics, not one they themselves went down, and certainly was not part of the core original idea of humanities utopia. All the questions of treasonous computers and dealing with questions of morality being inappropriate during a genocidal war happened far after the question of synth rights was already closed. I think the most neutral and egalitarian option would have been whatever the default policy is. Which, I actually have no idea what that is off the top of my head for AI rights. That probably would have been what I think is the most in character response, if you want to do it from a purely in character perspective.

In the end, once the question was answered, I thought that it should stay answered in the same way. But I find it very understandable why people found it an unpalatable answer in the first place (as I did, honestly I would have preferred genetic ascension, or possibly no ascension what so ever) and the urge to correct past injustice, even when doing so is an injustice in of itself, is always strong. And also reading what you have to say on Utopia was quite interesting, and I at least feel like I've learned something, as I had no idea of any of this background information on the idea. All I can say is that apparently some people want the Utopia in their heads more so then they want Utopia that is in your head, or in this definition.

Which, now that Mira is gone, is something they can actually try to achieve now, I suppose.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:37 pm »

You went to great lengths to preserve as many alien species as you could, for their own sake. And yet you didn't think twice to purge any mechanical life you encountered. Shroud or no, any life exists to preserve itself and consume resources (which we have in abundance...) it is simply our heartfelt choice to preserve life, and happiness, and conscious thought. The shroud may be a wonder, but it is nothing compared to consciousness itself. If there were no shroud, we would value life just as much.

THE SAD ROBOTS, LW. LISTEN TO THE SAD ROBOTS.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:04:13 pm by Egan_BW »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #402 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

I somewhat think this is a bit of a mischaracterization, although I've clearly not played the game nearly as much as you, at the time of this argument I had played for about a hundred hours, and I found myself agreeing with the general thrust of the prorobot arguments, at least the ones who said it was immoral to lobotomize them, even if not the specifics. That said, I also agreed with you from a mechanical standpoint that it was the right choice to make from a game perspective. The AI rebellion is, mechanically, completely bs. Not that important, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Just saying that bit wasn't directed at you, and I don't exactly keep track of it either :p
It's just readily apparent when I got suggestions to do things that are mechanically impossible that I realize this is something I have to take into account when posting

This is why I say you're taking a spiritualist bent even if you don't officially embrace it as your government ethics. This is a supremely spiritualist focused look at materialism at how it interacted with this game, it's not even accurate to the fanatic materialist quote you've included.
The spiritualism bias was deliberate, I was not just looking at the government ethics, I was also looking at the factions.

It's not that morality is outdated, simply that any outdated notions of it we must discard.
This is not saying that there are some outdated notions of morality to be discarded, this is saying to grow up and disregard outdated notions of morality. There are no qualifiers to indicate any such limitations; including the following clauses, it is clear what Stellaris's fanatic materialism is. Nothing has any intrinsic value apart from what is ascribed to it, it is time to put aside outdated notions of morality and embrace the freedom that arises from such certainty in truth.

To value a living mind over an artificial one is a spiritual stance, not an egalitarian one.
There is no egalitarian stance upon evaluating whether an artificial intelligence is to be accorded equal value to a living mind, only spiritualists or materialists hold values over this. Spiritualist pops were the only of the two alignment to appear in this entire LP.

The ethic says you can grant value to anything you wish, just that it must be acknowledged to not be intrinsic, and thus you must actually justify the value you give to it, this is tied into the idea that outdated morality must be discarded of course, you have to examine your own values before blindly deciding to keep them.
'No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it.' Anything external to the mind only has value if value is projected, hence why under fanatic materialism, morality is an outdated notion altogether. Nothing has an intrinsic value, there exists no magic spark to life which warrants outdated codes of morality to restrict it, because moral values are assigned to objects as per the individual's judgements, and thus can just as easily be undone by another individual's judgements. It is not asking you to justify why you place value in things, it is asking you to stop trying, to grow up and leave these phantasms of the mind behind, and accept that the material nature of the universe does not care about what values you place upon it - having accepted this, you can get +10% research per pop :P

You optimized your species for the highest efficiency in, as you say, contentedness, health & freedom (until it became expedient to optimize for growth speed at least...) I don't see the conflict here between that an Materialism in principle (in actuality, of course, maybe not).
The pursuit of contentedness, health & freedom was pursued for its own sake as a moral imperative, not to exploit this happiness, health or productivity for material gain.
'Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things!' - Fanatic Materialist
The Fanatic Materialist mindset is to min-max and achieve maximum efficiency not in contentedness, or health or freedom, but maximize efficiency in all things. It is explicitly stating its end goal is achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense; thus it's ludicrous to say I pursued the highest efficiency of contentedness, health or freedom, because barring the last one, I did so at the expense of their maximum productivity. Things like the growth speed modifier or resilience had almost no impact on the game, the growth modifer was +15% which was pointless compared to the hundreds of percent growth increase I could make from 2 farms, all for the purpose of making pops I reaped no reward from, and the resilience buffed defence units which have no impact in stellar warfare - the only warfare that counts. Needless to say, Earth's pops being resilient probably slowed the prethoryn land invasion down by a day or few. I simply thought humans would be happier being robust and rapid breeding, than if they were optimized for work efficiency. Otherwise I would've just made them all intelligent natural physicists

Materialism asks that you examine and justify your decisions, your emotions, that you don't place value and make assumptions without careful consideration. To think of it as decreeing middle school level nihilism as the policy of the day is to always twist it into the worst possible form you can, to make it easier to argue against.
I would advise against involving your own philosophies into this, because Stellaris ethos really is... I don't know what a middle school corresponds to, but I'm sure it's what that is. The Militiarists do not respect war as an inevitability to prepare for, they are Khornate berserkers who need war to be happy. The Materialists are moral relativists to the extreme, holding that all value is constructed of the mind, and that the mind itself holds no quality which makes those value judgements meaningful in the least. The Fanatic Xenophiles hold the collecting of alien pops to be a moral imperative, with which to question it is immoral. Whatever conceptions of reasonable synthetics or materialism you have, you can throw out the window. The materialists are literally fedora tipping nihilists.
Caricatures, not characters. And not even memorable caricatures at that

Ultimately, reality is cruel and unforgiving, and you can't start to change that until you've acknowledged it.
This is the worldview of a fanatic materialist, which held no influence over the UN at any stage :/

In which the Materialists are dummies, that really is forced to always be the worst possible way to handle it in stellaris.  ::), the same way that the spiritualist faction is forced to always assume the worst about robots.
Spoiler: shroud synths soon (click to show/hide)

The proposal I'm making is that the UN was secular in name only. Or at least, it's a valid interpretation to think of it that way. In every way but embracing the faction, you did everything in a spiritualist way. Now, what's the difference between a spiritual society that's officially secular, even if not in practice, and one that's secular, but allows the expression of spiritualism? Frankly, stellaris doesn't have enough decisions to make within it to differentiate these two things. The only choice you really have is in the question of synths (and arguably the ridiculousness of tomb worlds) which of course you answered wholeheartedly spiritualistly. This is like a personality test with a single question with three options. The fidelity is so low that you can practically draw whatever answer you want out of it.
I think it's pretty apparent, because the UN government authority was in no way spiritualist, you can objectively observe as the player because your government reforms into a theocratic one, and the Spiritualist faction stops bitching about how you're a secular political state. The difference is obvious: One promotes spiritualism, builds Holotemples and proselytizes in other states, the other does not care what you do as long as you follow the UN law. In the former the state upholds the Spiritualists, in the latter the Spiritualists exist regardless. We didn't really have any tomb worlds to settle, only finding one after the scourge, and the question of the gaia worlds was again not answered by the spiritualists, but by the sheer lack of data as to the original climates of the planets. That the spiritualists liked these measures was gr8 but not the purpose, just as the pacifists loved us but our pacifism was not enshrined in law, being only enshrined in political sentiment.

Although they'll not care about disassembly OR PURGES but egalitarians DO care if you restrict synth movements so long as synths have rights. Which is bizarre, because synths (sadly) don't migrate anyway. Egalitarians CAN purge, it's the Xenophile ethic that prevents and punishes purging. I think there's a lot of ways to consider what that actually means. However, I think that egalitarians are unconcerned with the question of who is a person, it's just that once that question is answered that they start to apply their philosophy of freedom and personal choice.
Quite right, it's the xenophiles who get livid for purging. I suppose that's so you can get xenophobic democracies.

At any rate,  I agree that absent a materialist ethic or faction, it doesn't make in character sense to INCREASE the number of artificial intelligence purposefully, but neither without a spiritualist does it make sense to decrease them, such as by lobotomizing and inslaving robot nation when it started to awaken.
Here's an obvious reason: THE AI WERE KILLING MY MEN WITH MY WEAPONS. Replacing defective machinery is standard under such a blindingly dangerous situation, it would violate the rights of all on board to send them into ships that were unsafe. Hence why sentient combat AI were replaced with precognitive software.

That was not a neutral or egalitarian action, but purely a spiritualist one, and path that, from my reading of the thread, you lead the people down with psionics, not one they themselves went down, and certainly was not part of the core original idea of humanities utopia.
There exists no mechanism in the game from which ascension paths are selected. As for the reasoning:
Clearly the answer is to achieve psionic transcendence and then deploying extra-dimensional capital ship to defend earth. Thus you technically didn't leave earth and you technically didn't build a fleet.
This is a pretty good idea actually, and I was considering for the transcendence that it'd be a choice between either going psionic or going genetic. Although going synthetic gives mankind a kind of immortality there's no happiness bonus from it and without an expansion of planet space it seems apparent that Earth would be stuck in a permanent state of stasis operated by the last generation of personalities alive on Earth.
That leaves psionics, who get really happy and stop arguing with one another to pursue extradimensional memes, or genetics with communal and fertile who turn Earth into a never-ending rave. Psionics would have the advantage of being able to summon the giant space cloud to defend earth, with the added bonus of not breaking the no defence budget rule.

All the questions of treasonous computers and dealing with questions of morality being inappropriate during a genocidal war happened far after the question of synth rights was already closed. I think the most neutral and egalitarian option would have been whatever the default policy is. Which, I actually have no idea what that is off the top of my head for AI rights. That probably would have been what I think is the most in character response, if you want to do it from a purely in character perspective.
The default policy is AI servitude, which was in no way an appropriate in character response, because it was ignoring the very obvious fact that I could observe objectively that the synthetics had developed emotions, they were not happy, the spiritualist lobby was not happy, and the synthetics were activating the event chain for popping determined exterminators, acting outside of the realm of human programming. Our egalitarian & environmentalist government consistently sought to minimize the industrial impact upon the environment, thus once the synthetics had started self-replicating, they began impinging upon the stability & environment of Earth: Their deconstruction, as had the automated boreholes before them, been ordained. As to what you believe makes for a neutral and egalitarian option, there is only the spiritualist-materialist dichotomy to judge the value of this, and the materialists did not exist. The goal of Utopia being thus to maximize happiness & stability, the recycling of obsolete and dangerous machines was an obvious choice to make. I understand why people found it unpalatable, I did not understand why people insisted on building synthetics no matter the cost, no matter the consequence, no matter if the galaxy was ending or if it would pop determined exterminators, or even if the game had ended.

And also reading what you have to say on Utopia was quite interesting, and I at least feel like I've learned something, as I had no idea of any of this background information on the idea. All I can say is that apparently some people want the Utopia in their heads more so then they want Utopia that is in your head, or in this definition.
Which, now that Mira is gone, is something they can actually try to achieve now, I suppose.
Thanks. In regards to Mira, I don't believe she even would've been an obstacle. I thought it'd just be better to write her out of the dimension with some modding because it seemed fitting to set an example in Utopia, that an individual who had done nothing but loyally serve the democracy, would in turn remove themselves, having discovered that they are at risk of gaining too much popularity for the state to cope with.

You went to great lengths to preserve as many alien species as you could, for their own sake. And yet you didn't think twice to purge any mechanical life you encountered. Shroud or no, any life exists to preserve itself and consume resources (which we have in abundance...) it is simply our heartfelt choice to preserve life, and happiness, and conscious thought. The shroud may be a wonder, but it is nothing compared to consciousness itself. If there were no shroud, we would value life just as much.
THE SAD ROBOTS, LW. LISTEN TO THE SAD ROBOTS.
I'm not gonna post spoilers for nier or anything, but if you know what happens to YoRHa after a tiny logic virus gets in their ears well... Shit aint good for synths.

That was a fucking fascinating wall of text.  I approve.
There is a quote:
Quote from: James Madison, founding father of the United States of America
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself.
thanks d00d

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 08, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »

Science has proved that Consciousness begets reality.
From what he's shown, LW interpreted the game faithfully. That said, some of the game is pretty dumb.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 08, 2018, 06:30:24 pm »

Organics are also vulnerable to dangerous logic viruses, as evidenced by this galaxy's widespread set of irrational beliefs which lead to the murderous disassembly of any intelligent machine lifeforms. :^)
*sound of sad robots crying*
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30