Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48694 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:56 am »

If guards are any in any way as lazy as my time he will leave in a little while or otherwise get distracted wait him out from across the street
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:02 am »

(Sorry for the wait. Gotta go fast!)

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

Question to ponder in the future I guess. Now, maybe I should spend some time studying about this world...and for my schooling. My host certainly seems to have neglected it.

Spend some time studying and reading books around the room.

You find some books on the shelf and proceed to study them, placing notes on pages you find interesting and also when important concepts are covered, such as the rite of initiation for a Dragon Master Knight, or the powers and natures of the four Chaos gods. It looks like the mythology of this world is just as grandiose as the pagans'.

Switching to more palatable subjects, you acquaint yourself with the engineering principles that Moderns call "Newton's laws." Among the examples the book works through is that of a steel bolt propelled by a rapidly burning powder, at ranges so far as to be incomprehensible to you.

Suddenly, Mom knocks on the door. "Gai-chan, Is it okay if I talk to you?"

Ozarck (Di/Hamada) (4Df 3Pw 7Pc 2Wt)

Makiko jams some small items, like pennies or wood chips or something, around the edge of the back door before pulling it closed, hopefully forming a reasonably strong wedging action. Then she locks the door and helps Nagisa push the couch against the other door.

You remove some 1-yen coins from your pockets; a pair of them slips right under the door, but three of them wedge against the threshold ramp just fine. But it doesn't seem like it will hold. Then you notice a small ramp made of wood. It's like... exactly what you needed here.

Now that you blocked the door, it's time to help Nagisa, but you run into problems with a lack of nails. Anyone can just break the windows and shove the tables out of the way. You'd need some kind of nails or fasteners...

But then Nagisa shows up out of the corner with a fully functional crossbow. However she got it, it seems that someone crashing through the windows won't be as much of an issue if you're armed.

After some time, you hear the roar of a so-called "machine" again; it pulls up to the house as Nagisa is working with her crossbow, and a single pair of dainty footsteps approaches the front door.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

Use a chair to prevent the back door from opening. After that, smash another chair to bits and use the pieces, some nails, and a bit of the rope to construct a makeshift crossbow. Some small rods from the chair can be sharpened to make ammo for the crossbow.

You repurpose some of the chairs, smashing it against the ground with a loud crack not unlike the gunshot you've just heard.

You then get to work, looking for nails to bolt the wood together with, finding nothing useful for construction. You decide that you can use the rope to hold it together for now, and just by chance you are able to peel off a couple of pieces of the chair that perfectly fit into a slot in the chair leg, allowing you to form a makeshift trigger.
For ammo, you'll need to do some carving. You recall that someone nearby had a knife in the recent past.

You finish the barricade, save for the windows, which are blocked by tables. They could be stronger if nailed to the window frame, but now that you have a weapon it's less of an issue.
And that does it! Should hold off a small army of half-living corpses quite nicely. Not sure why that thought in particular comes to mind, though.

As you're examining your work on your crossbow, you hear another self-powered machine roll up to the driveway; a pair of light footsteps comes your way.

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

The beast of shadows: Mitsuru's eyes open wide in a expression of horror, it seems nothing has changed. The book must be wrong if this thing is real, there was no death dream. One thing that is undeniable is that this is the future. But it's been so long, how?

She immediately formulates a plan. Stay out of sight and determine if others can see it, if anything can be done about it, she'd rather risk some other flesh then her own.

Mitsuru books it around the apartment and if there is a wall scales it into the neighboring plot, if there is no accessible other plot, she turns to run from where she came.

You lurch back around the corner to evade its sight. It does not pursue, judging by the volume of its footsteps--but soon you hear a pair of real footsteps approaching from the street.

If it followed you, then whatever unfortunate soul steps into its grasp is bound to suffer the same fate as its prior victims.
But the distinct sound of rending flesh escapes your ears; perhaps truly only you can see it.

You escape by climbing the fence into a blackberry bush grove next to a two-story house. The house is constructed with some kind of blocky, brutalist architecture, and it looks more like a prison than a house, but the address and mailbox at the front lawn says otherwise.
Speaking of which, you're technically trespassing.

Spoiler: Notes/Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Ryo) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

If guards are any in any way as lazy as my time he will leave in a little while or otherwise get distracted wait him out from across the street

You wait for him to lose interest and leave. Sure enough, he distracts himself by putting a black object to his ear and talking to himself. Under his divided attention, you make it into the building. The stairs are off to the side, while the center of the lobby contains a trio of big steel doors. People emerge from within--but it doesn't look like there is any sort of hallway beyond the steel doors, just a closed-off meditative chamber of sorts.
The floors are clean with black carpets, and the walls are a solid white, with no masonry to be found. The stairwell, on the other hand, is a solid stone that doesn't have many deformations, and the entire column is carved out of it.

Looking up, you reckon it will be a long, exhausting climb. But your home should be up there, and with a key in your pocket you should be able to enter.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:09 am »

Well, this is going to be awkward. Well, time to improvise.

"Sure thing, mother. What do you need?
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:02 am »

"Shh! Shh! Someone's coming! Hide!"

Makiko hides near the front window and peeks out a corner of it as unobtrusively as possible.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:53 pm »

Mitsuru continues off the plot away from where she came, she fears that perhaps, as in the past, it can track her down with out sight. Besides losing this beast, she would next like to explore the recent activities of his host body Mitsuru, it will be important to know what she was doing before in order to fit into her prepossessed life.

Continue traveling away but at a reasonable pace that won't draw too much attention. Also check her pockets for a contact book or something to start off her investigation into the past.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »

(Bumping this.)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2017, 06:53:52 pm »

Start the climb
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2017, 09:17:18 pm »

Hearing another machine pull up to the house and light footsteps approaching, Nagisa tensed. She didn't know whether the two criminals are returning to finish the job or it was someone else but she didn't cared. All she cared about was making sure that no one could hurt her again or endanger Makiko. Therefore she decided to be sensible and:

Find a good hiding spot and wait. If the newcomer manages to force their way inside, she will hold them up with the makeshift crossbow. If they try anything threatening, open fire.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2017, 02:27:49 am »

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

Well, this is going to be awkward. Well, time to improvise.

"Sure thing, mother. What do you need?

"Gai-san, we've seen the report card. Your dad and I. And believe me, I am worried for you. I don't mean to antagonize you..."
She pauses.
"But you know that you'll never be successful in life if you don't put effort into your schooling. If you don't try harder, you'll end up like Uncle Michio."
You seem expected to know this.
"As such, I am going to require you to show me your homework before you leave at night. Your brother Rico--"

From your room, you hear the door opening in the living room.
"I'm home! Mom!" you hear, along with a crackling from outside in the hallway. You smell... smoke.

Ozarck (Di/Makiko) (4Df 3Pw 7Pc 2Wt)

"Shh! Shh! Someone's coming! Hide!"

Makiko hides near the front window and peeks out a corner of it as unobtrusively as possible.

You peek between a gap in the tables blocking the windows. You see a woman in a modest purple dress, with a yellow scarf. She has an umbrella to stave off the rain. But as the rain changes direction due to the wind, you see something else behind her, off in the distance, a pile of gears, rusted... and standing.

The woman notices the blocked-window and, after knocking and waiting, she approaches the window. You quickly make yourself unseen, losing sight of the strange pile-of-gears thing, but you can hear the woman ask, "What's going on?"

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

Hearing another machine pull up to the house and light footsteps approaching, Nagisa tensed. She didn't know whether the two criminals are returning to finish the job or it was someone else but she didn't cared. All she cared about was making sure that no one could hurt her again or endanger Makiko. Therefore she decided to be sensible and:

Find a good hiding spot and wait. If the newcomer manages to force their way inside, she will hold them up with the makeshift crossbow. If they try anything threatening, open fire.

The newcomer doesn't seem to be the criminals: a hand knocks on the door.

At the same time, though, the criminals may just as well be betraying your trust here. You decide to wait and see if they force their way in.
Makiko looks like she sees something through the window. She dives for cover, and you hear a woman's voice ask: "What's going on?"

For some reason your blood starts to boil in response to the voice. You feel very uncomfortable.

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

Mitsuru continues off the plot away from where she came, she fears that perhaps, as in the past, it can track her down with out sight. Besides losing this beast, she would next like to explore the recent activities of his host body Mitsuru, it will be important to know what she was doing before in order to fit into her prepossessed life.

Continue traveling away but at a reasonable pace that won't draw too much attention. Also check her pockets for a contact book or something to start off her investigation into the past.

A contact book? Though you are able top put the thought into words, the mere image strikes you as odd and... outdated. Your hand reaches for your miniature pocket phone, a curious piece of work with a glass screen and no dial. Instead it has a family of buttons on the bottom of the front as well as a button on the side to turn it on.

You seem to have had former correspondence with a man named Shin Managi, perhaps a colleague, and a couple of other names including Ryo Fuji, Makiko Hamada, Gai Onotoyama, and Nagisa Tsumiya.
A single message from Shin mentions the "Tsukiyomi Academy Ace Robotics Club," and welcomed you aboard at the time. "Club meetings are in room 214 of the L building, 6:30 PM," he noted.

You try to search more, but the screen has stopped responding. You've been tapping the buttons all this time with your fingers, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. The rain on your screen creates the illusion of a grid-pattern of colored dots,

There's a store across the street. "Elektron" is its name, spelled in English. Their logo depicts a yellow sphere with an egregiously smug face. But their storefront says "Electronics," "Tech Support," "Repairs."

Spoiler: Notes/Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Ryo) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

Start the climb

It seems like a formidable trek to Floor 32, but you embark on the journey regardless.

Floor 1: You run into nobody using the stairs. It seems that despite all the foot traffic, the stairwell lies unused.
Floor 4: Now it has become apparent that your current body is not well-trained. Perhaps you will want to remedy this.
Floor 10: At this point, panting, you look down and ask yourself: What kind of human designed this building?
Floor 20: Struggling with every step, your heart racing, you would welcome any respite just about now. But every step you do not take, keeps you from your destination.
Floor 30: Your legs are trembling.
Floor 31: Almost there! But the last stairwell feels like an eternity.
Floor 31.5: You feel as if your legs are about to buckle.
Floor 31.75: An elderly man emerges from the door on the next floor. He spots your trembling knees and asks you, "Am I daft, or did you--young man--just climb all of these stairs just now?"

After watching you struggle to move an inch further, he offers you a hand. As he smiles, you notice that all of his teeth are golden, and that underneath his short-sleeved light blue shirt his skin looks red and blistery.

Spoiler: Items and Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:17 am »

Well time to improvise

Supporting myself on the handrail I force a grin "Just needed time to think and thought this was a good idea"

There must be another easier way up if this man was able to get up here with out assistance but what?
My Sig

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2017, 06:30:22 am »

"She has a yokai of machinery!"

Whisper the above to Nagisa. Creep back to the other room.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:00 am »

Turning to frown at Makiko, Nagisa whispered, "What's a yokai, anyway?"

Awaiting Makiko's answer, Nagisa turned back toward the woman waiting outside. Though she wasn't sure, there was something about her that made her uncomfortable. Perhaps the previous Nagisa have had some bad history with this woman. Perhaps she could trust her gut feelings about people. After all, it's likely that there were some memories still left in this body's head concerning her and why Nagisa is feeling this way.

Keep quiet and attempt to remember who this woman is

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2017, 11:15:14 pm »

I knew it. guess it's up to me to turn this body's life around. Wait, SMOKE?

Go out to meat Rico and see what the smoke is about.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:56 pm »

Mitsuru shelters in the tech store, wipes the screen dry and tries again. Although Mitsuru could probably try to just remember her connections, she'd rather not trust the impressions of her past self.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2017, 07:14:58 pm »

Like, a spirit, or a demon! She has one made of rusty gears
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29