Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marc Laidaw releases potential Half Life 3 plot.  (Read 3452 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Marc Laidaw releases potential Half Life 3 plot.
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:51 pm »

Laidaw, who was one of the writers for Half Life, released it on his blog here.

The spoiler is a version without the name changes taken from Reddit.
Spoiler: Half Life 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:29:12 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Marc Laidaw releases potential Half Life 3 plot.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »

Somehow, reading the whole thing didn't provide any kind of closure for episode three.

I think that's because I don't even care about the game itself all that much anymore, I just want to know for sure why it ended up this way. There seems to have been an NDA, but even now, after its apparent end, there hasn't been a peep about the series from anyone at Valve. I'm not sure anyone really knows what they want from Valve or any of their major IPs anymore, since it feels like just about anything would be a letdown at this point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:18:46 pm »

IIRC Valve mostly just runs an online store and gets money from digital hats or whatever it is they have in DOTA 2 and CS:GO these days, which is why you've seen some of their writers etc. leaving in recent years.

As for HL3 itself, I was more interested to see what kind of mods it would have spawned considering Half-Life's track record for that kind of thing.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:11:12 pm »

No wonder that got made. Can you imagine the backlash of Gordon Freeman, mankind's greatest protagonist, was left behind by the G-Man, his mysterious benefactor, after finding out there's nothing that can be done to liberate humanity, that the end is exactly as feared? No brilliant plan, just an ignominious end with a sequestration to vortigauntvana?

EDIT: Also DOTA 2 is way more monetisable than HL will ever be.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:28 pm »

Ask me the plot to the previous HL2 installments and I could not tell you.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:41:06 pm »

In case you guys would like to know exactly when Valve decided to destroy their soul.

Valvetime posted these tweets before deleting them. If you guys are wondering who that is, just know it's a very well respected source of Valve insider info.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's more info to back that timeline up: http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-layoff-hardware-mobile/

And lastly, look at this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To summarize, in 2013 Valve fired a not insignificant portion of its employees. Straight up fired. Ever since then, Valve has not released a single game other than "finishing" Dota 2. You can take from that what you will.

But in case you were ever expecting anything from Valve, uhh... probably don't. I can't imagine anyone who still is though. It's time to just accept them as the incompetent bungling buffoons who happen to own a virtual monopoly over PC gaming distribution. And also the guys harvesting gold from the whales addicted to CSGO and Dota 2 as the playercounts slowly dwindle.

-------------

Edit:

Incidentally, if I were EA or Activision, I'd be banging on Marc Laidaw's door to ask him to write for a game for them. It'd basically be guaranteed to make bank. "from the writer of Half Life 1, 2, 2.1, and 2.2, comes a single player FPS about a mute scientist who just so happens to solve physics puzzles completely unrelated to any other mute scientists."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 03:09:26 am »

Artefact could end up being a good game
VR games still count as "real" games
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:10 pm »

The secret people lamenting this didn't catch is that HL2 was terrible.  Decent old school shooter, good graphics for the time, but the storyline and storytelling was all horrible. 

My favorite part is the way Barney sucks your dick for figuring out an obvious, trivially easy in this cheeky, self-aware kind of way, then the ENTIRE REST OF THE SERIES IS THAT EXACT THING, BUT UNIRONIC
Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:03 pm »

HL2 would be perfect if they could come up with an original plot and gave me a damn button to skip the cutscenes. I don't care that it's still first-person and I can walk around, it's still old and I want to skip it when I start a new game.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:13:31 pm »

Half-Life's quality has always been in the pinnacle of first-person physics and combat rather than the story. The story of the first game is everything it needs to be. Science experiment, oh no aliens, oh no black ops, oh no DOUBLE black ops, oh no ALIEN WORLD, oh no government agent with godlike power. And that was great! It's legendary, the gameplay experience of puzzles, platforming, and combat are all perfectly interwoven. It's got almost no story but amazing atmosphere because it manages the cadence properly. Some of my heaviest memories in gaming are the early tram sections, where there are no enemies at all, trying to come down from the fading adrenaline high of combat that preceded it while managing the speed of a shitty old tram.

You'll note that there's almost no music in Half-Life. It doesn't need it, and when it uses it, it's for flavor and signaling. A thin icing instead of shoving the tube down your throat (not that there aren't games where it should be shoving the tube down your throat).

HL2 is about the same story, and about the same quality. Cadence is a little weaker but still leagues above most games. It's no issue. I just wished they had finished it, and maybe some day they will, in the same way they finished HL2 to begin with.

The biggest problem is that if there had been no HL2, HL1 is a complete entity. Hell, if there had been no Episodes 1 & 2, HL2 is a complete entity. But they just ground to a halt, lost momentum, and that's...the whole of it, now. Episodes 1 & 2 are 2/3rds of HL3, as has been said many times. God, how I wish they hadn't bought into the hype and just made that 1/3rd more.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »

Half Life 2 is probably the best in its genre. The story is well written and entertaining and the world is fleshed out/atmospheric in ways that few other games achieve.

But I mean everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:28:14 pm »

This news makes me look back on all the things about Valve since I started using steam back when L4D came out. I never even played HL.

And it's kinda been steady decline for Valve as far as behavior goes. Solidifying into your garden variety ultra-rich corp, along with poorly thought-out (generally speaking) business practices. Like, the only "fun" thing Valve does anymore is the summer and sometimes winter sales, because the amount of money to be made merits some kind of effort.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »

The secret people lamenting this didn't catch is that HL2 was terrible.  Decent old school shooter, good graphics for the time, but the storyline and storytelling was all horrible.

To me HL2 was a game built primarily around selling the source engine first and being a half life sequel second.  Especially the big gravity gun parts and some random physics puzzles thrown in like the see-saw ramp set up in the boat section.  A also find it irritating and almost contrived how every major actor in HL2's plot is somehow your co-workers from Black Mesa.  Why on earth is town 17 run by some random ass Black Mesa nerd.

HL1 was also more or less an engine demo, but I think it gets more away with it as back then a lot of FPS games were really plot light anyway, expectations were less.  They aren't terrible games by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the first game aged better than the second.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 03:33:13 pm »

Yeah, it was terrible, but I understand why people lionize it. Half Life 2 is Nostalgia Glasses: The Game for a lot of people. For folks of a certain age it was their introduction to story-driven FPSs on the PC. It was released at a time when the FPS market had been dominated by arena shooters for the years, and the hot new trend in PC FPSs was big team-based games like the Battlefield franchise. Considering HL2's big competitor for "story-based" FPS in 2004 was Doom 3, you can see why it was a standout game at that particular moment in time.

Not a good game compared to many releases before and since, but just the right thing for a new gamer who didn't have exposure to the genre. The game was a flash in the pan at just the right time in gaming history, and when it comes to nostalgia, timing is as important as anything else.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 03:43:32 pm »

I would say that on the whole, the quality of video game storytelling in FPSes has pretty harshly declined compared to when HL2 was released. It probably peaked somewhere around 2007-08, and really began to fall off the plateau around 2010-12. Despite a few breakout hits, the past several years have been pretty bad to video game stories. Sure, there are always a slew of indie games with great stories--but few companies really understand or have the balls to devote the time to creating those big, set-piece stories that capture a new generation of gamers. Even the ones that do are riddled by ridiculously poor management decisions or have always kind of struggled on the business side of things (Looking at you, Konami and Nintendo respectively).

As far as Half-Life 2 goes specifically, I will agree that it's actual story is not that good. BUT, what no one has mentioned is how unique and wonderfully handcrafted its world it. HL2 gets a free pass on a lot of disjointed narrative and bad writing conventions because it's just so fucking awesome to explore this dystopian universe, and it's inhabitants are whacky and dangerous. While perhaps not as imaginative as the original, it wasn't afraid to develop and run with some against-the-grain ideas.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: [1] 2