Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 126963 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2022, 08:53:18 am »

It doesn't matter. The gate never does anything but kill people who try to hit it. It can't have any magic. Only thing that mattered is that the sauromancer didn't try to hit it and didn't run away.

This strategy doesn't work, you know. Anyone who's willing to pick an indestructible immobile lump as their pretender will commit to the bit and spend the first 50 matching gems they get to empower the dumb thing.

Just siege it with, like, a scout- the game isn't won by conquering enemies, it's won by taking thrones (usually).

Immobiles can't lift sieges, but they can patrol provinces. If the whole conceit of my pretender is that I have something that's basically worthless for anything but not ever dying, I can assure you it'll be on patrol any turn I'm not empowering it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:02:33 am by E. Albright »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 15, 2022, 09:12:29 am »

It doesn't matter. The gate never does anything but kill people who try to hit it. It can't have any magic. Only thing that mattered is that the sauromancer didn't try to hit it and didn't run away.
This strategy doesn't work, you know. Anyone who's willing to pick an indestructible immobile lump as their pretender will commit to the bit and spend the first 50 matching gems they get to empower the dumb thing.
Y'know, I may be misremembering here, but isn't there a way to prevent that from really working? Could swear you could set a critter's paths to like, heavily negative or something, and empowerment... well, works, but it costs a lot more than just that first 50 gems.

Doesn't sound like the designer in this case would actually do something like that, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 15, 2022, 09:21:21 am »

This strategy doesn't work, you know. I guess techhhhnically you could do that, especially in blood. It has -10 to all paths, so it takes 1025 gems to empower it to magic level 1.

Doesn't sound like the designer in this case would actually do something like that, but still.

They did.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 15, 2022, 09:23:59 am »

Yeah, just checked. AE did precisely that. It's truly and entirely meant to be an inert lump of indestructible rock. And as long as you support it, that's what it will be.

Aside: dear lord Hellenika is bloated. I do not have a weak PC but the delay when I loaded the mod was very, very noticeable.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:26:38 am by E. Albright »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 15, 2022, 11:24:04 am »

Maybe its just me and a very small group of players that play/feel the same. But I find this game far better for singleplayer imo than CoE and one of the better singleplayer 4x's out there (especially fantasy ones)...where as I find CoE a ton more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer (and I have more fun multiplayer in that one than most 4x multiplayer games).

With that said, I have an epic game going on the Bozmos map. Its a lot of fun, been going at it a whole month now (not 24/7, but a bit every day). Its probably the biggest map out there, but it looks cool with all the planets and stuff

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 15, 2022, 11:59:11 am »

This strategy doesn't work, you know. I guess techhhhnically you could do that, especially in blood. It has -10 to all paths, so it takes 1025 gems to empower it to magic level 1.

If we're going to be silly and really take this seriously, you can do it with a "mere" 315 gems/slaves by tanking your scales and putting 9 points into a path at the start, which also lets you have a bless... albeit at the cost of scales that'll doom you to die well before your imprisoned pretender gets loose. On the plus side, if you somehow last until 5y, your Uttervast will be e.g. 5S11B instead of just 5S.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 15, 2022, 12:16:58 pm »

All scales dumped ✅
God imprisoned ✅
Bless only consisting of 9+ bless points in one path ✅

Honestly I think this sounds like you have made the ultimate build. But what nation to pick? I'm not familiar enough with Hellenika nations to know if any of them would do particularly okay like this. Acadeia could fix their scales I guess?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 15, 2022, 12:29:07 pm »

Speaking of Arcadeia. I suspect you can do pretty silly things if your capital is sorta unconquerable.
All scales dumped ✅
And all you recruit are recruit anywhere stealthy priests, to be as much of a nuisance as possible.  :P Too bad they won't be actually able to preach much away. Does Hellenica have any nations with stealthy H2 priests and a gate available?
EDIT: Tir na Nog's Sidhe Lords, although they will cost a pretty penny. Alternatively, Caelum's seraphines.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:56:47 pm by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 15, 2022, 12:53:07 pm »

I'd argue you'd want Berytos or Sa'Ba even though neither have exactly what you're calling for. Berytos can bloodsac wildly, and Sa'Ba has some stealthy priests.

That, or play w/the nation the dumb thing is intended to be played with, Ylthule. You can take 9 points in a path on an awake Gate with one scale at -3 and all the rest at 0, and you get 5 bonus bless points in whatever path you pick anyway. That's with 9 Dom as well, mind you. They also have stealthy H2 priests, for that matter. If you want to start at 10 path points, you can tank another scale to -3 and get 10 candles.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:55:04 pm by E. Albright »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 15, 2022, 12:58:10 pm »

Whoops. Somehow i completely overlooked that hallowed wanderers have stealth and teleport.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 15, 2022, 01:21:52 pm »

You don't really need to tank your scales with Ythule b/c of how many free points you have to work with, but even if you did they start with a site that gives you +2 to all scales but temp, so you could almost certainly spread the cheese on pretty thick with them. The downside, ofc, is that you only have indies for troops.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 15, 2022, 01:26:35 pm »

I almost want to play this bullshit now. Almost. Although, as are many things in Hellenica, it would be supremely unfun to play against, so i wouldn't be able to.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:46:08 pm by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 15, 2022, 01:44:48 pm »

Let's not forget you get this nonsense on turn 2 if you play as Ylthule with a Gate:

Spoiler: Sure, why not? (click to show/hide)

(Note the BV is from the Gate's bless)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 15, 2022, 02:37:52 pm »

How much slaves is 8.5 slaves?  :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, game says 8.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 02:41:07 pm by MCreeper »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 15, 2022, 04:50:37 pm »

With that said, I have an epic game going on the Bozmos map. Its a lot of fun, been going at it a whole month now (not 24/7, but a bit every day). Its probably the biggest map out there, but it looks cool with all the planets and stuff

It needs a 40K mod, like in Dominions 3. But looks cool.
Nevermind, found it.
Now to figure out how to install mods in Dominions these days.

COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE LINK TO THE MAP?! Google seems to think it doesn't exist.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67