Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218665 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2019, 09:51:21 am »

Yoink, as a word, was popularized by the Simpsons. The writer, however, claims he took the word from Archie comics
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2019, 05:20:24 pm »

The missus told me what she learned from Tetris the other day, I was expecting something about how frustrating it is or how weird russian looks, instead I get this:
"Being different isn't always valuable, and when you blend in you disappear."

That's deep as shit right, it isn't just me being dumb, is it?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2019, 04:57:07 am »

It's not deep at all.
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2019, 11:26:46 am »

I'm the dumb then, hoisted by my own retard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2019, 01:40:55 pm »

"That was like herding cats. Or chickens. No, wait, it's like... trying to train a bunch of cats to herd the chickens FOR you."   

^actual, paraphrased quote from me earlier.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2019, 10:09:58 pm »

I keep seeing my signature out of the corner of my eye and thinking it's an edit thing

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2019, 09:51:16 pm »

Aliens probably exist, but if they don't, at least not in our galaxy, it means it all is just for us. The entire galaxy. Just like the Earth is currently.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2019, 10:24:06 pm »

Even if it is "all for us", claiming that prize would be difficult. The milky way is many thousands of light years across, humans live for like 70 years. If you traveled at absurd speed for your entire life from birth to death, you wouldn't get to see a fraction of a fraction of this galaxy.

Besides, Earth itself isn't just for us, we share it with a ton of other life. Unless by "us" you mean all life on earth, as opposed to just humans.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:34 pm »

Even if it is "all for us", claiming that prize would be difficult. The milky way is many thousands of light years across, humans live for like 70 years. If you traveled at absurd speed for your entire life from birth to death, you wouldn't get to see a fraction of a fraction of this galaxy.

Besides, Earth itself isn't just for us, we share it with a ton of other life. Unless by "us" you mean all life on earth, as opposed to just humans.
Yeah, not all of it of course, but there will be little competition for obvious reasons.

Humans are the only completely sentient life on Earth. Other, non-sentient life only serves to help humanity. This is why I more-or-less support environmentalism.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2019, 10:50:55 pm »

For some reason this makes me think less "wow, we're going to have a lot of resources to ourselves" and more "fuck, that's depressingly lonely."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2019, 10:59:06 pm »

Hmph. Yeah, humans are the only creatures like humans there are. Only humans can do all the things that humans do. Just like, say, only honeybees can do all the things that honeybees can do. We define sentience based on ourselves, then turn around and claim that it's what makes us special.
Nature doesn't exist to fulfill our needs, we are part of nature. Same as every other living thing.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2019, 11:09:28 pm »

Hmph. Yeah, humans are the only creatures like humans there are. Only humans can do all the things that humans do. Just like, say, only honeybees can do all the things that honeybees can do. We define sentience based on ourselves, then turn around and claim that it's what makes us special.
Nature doesn't exist to fulfill our needs, we are part of nature. Same as every other living thing.
Hmmm... humans have higher intelligence and capability to use tools than any other animal, which is what I was getting at. We are present on every continent in one way or another and, for the most part, are dominating the ecosystem there, for better or for worse. It's safe to say that we're the rulers of this planet and can use nature to fulfill our needs. Of course, if there are aliens with similar intelligence, we should treat them as equals.

Of course, environmentalism and preserving populations of animals useful for science and the ecology (and food, I guess) is important, for the survival of humanity will be difficult without them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:29:10 pm by MaxTheFox »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2019, 09:30:04 am »

I mean. If only humans has the capability to can into space then all of space is pretty much only for humanity.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2019, 10:16:14 am »

I mean. If only humans has the capability to can into space then all of space is pretty much only for humanity.
Exactly.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2019, 12:46:25 am »

My diet is as close to the opposite of veganism as it's possible for me to get without health issues (vitamins are important). I'm not sure, it might be like 70% meat. It's as much personal preference (I like meat!) as it's a way to protest against PETA.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 180