Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218682 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1500 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:19 pm »

That's strange; isn't human perception more-or-less logarithmic (see Weber–Fechner law)?
Good point.  In current day, it's silly to be afraid of of individuals consuming, when each human is consuming ever more.

(Ignoring all local adjustments, as usual)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 18, 2021, 08:40:14 am »

There was a story on 4chan a few years back about a guy getting laundry detergent thrown at him because he spent his money on drugs(?)
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 18, 2021, 09:50:04 am »

Breath of the Wild is probably the most educational game I've played in years. Probably the most educational game I've played in my life, period.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 18, 2021, 11:02:05 pm »

I feel that in the audiophile community (keeping in mind that I only observe from afar), you have two extremes of audiophile. The Rationalist, and the Romanticist.

The Rationalist is rational. I admit that I would sit quite firmly on this side, hence the bias.

• They know full well that 44.1 KHz, 16 bit (or 24-bit in extreme circumstances) for playback is enough, since human hearing can only go up to 20 KHz, and 96 dB of dynamic range is plenty for almost all music. They have articles like 24/192 Music Downloads ...and why they make no sense and videos like Digital Show and Tell bookmarked, ready to be pulled out for any argument.

• Tends to prefer digital, but some do prefer analog. Of those who like analog, they know it's technically worse than digital objectively speaking, but have a personal preference for it, and/or cite the different mixing used for analog copies of music. The ability to clearly demarcate between objective measures and personal preference is common.

• They tend to do rigorous ABX testing on all their stuff.

• Because of their rationality, they tend to be quite good at picking out quality audio equipment (and setting them up properly) without overspending. Honest, transparent and detailed reviews are their thing.

• Through theoretical knowledge and ABX testing, they know that FLAC and WAV are identical in decoded output.  They may have differing opinions on lossy formats, but they'll all agree on uncompressed and compressed lossless being identical.

• Tends to have scientific background or otherwise one that demands rational thinking.

The Romanticist is rather romantic in their view of audio technology.

• They tend to be susceptible to marketing guff. Overspending is common for these types.

• They tend to describe audio as "warm" or "cold", and think that this is some objective measure, rather than a perceptual and subjective thing. They often have difficulty in clearly laying out what is fact and what is opinion.

• They might believe that FLAC and WAV do not produce identical output, despite all evidence to the contrary, and will give increasingly-irrelevant goalpost-shifts to convince themselves of that belief.

• They might believe that $1000 cables for digital signals actually do something. They tend to suffer heavily from placebo effect.

• They might think that vinyl and cassette are somehow inherently and technically superior to digital.

• Tends to have artistic background or otherwise one that demands Romantic/creative thinking.

Of course, everyone is different, and lots of people lean on one edge but still take elements from the other. This isn't gospel. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who is perfectly on one end. I would (I don't see myself as an audiophile) sit very close to the far Rationalist end, but I'm sure someone's even more of a Rationalist than I am. I don't know the intricacies of resampling algorithms or the CD Audio (de-)emphasis algorithm, for instance.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 19, 2021, 01:40:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:47:41 pm by dragdeler »
let

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 20, 2021, 11:07:38 am »

I intend to talk here more (lurking for months and reading threads here and forum games, I know yall). I like this community tho.

Anyways... College was closed to due reasons they don't want to tell us (weird). Parents work as delivery management negotiators. They took me with them on a roadtrip. Fairly short, the only thing noteworthwhile, that happened, is that a huge butterfly got splattered all over the windshield.

But anyways we have arrived. Sainshand. Dusty desert town. Less backwards than I expected tho. Actually has internet but it's very slow. Seriously I'm worried it will go out soon before I finish writing this. Still better than I expected, I expected basically no internet. Will go to the museum tomorrow and report Ig.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 20, 2021, 12:42:12 pm »

I remember ya. Look forward to your increased posting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 20, 2021, 01:56:57 pm »

Anyways... College was closed to due reasons they don't want to tell us (weird).
Was it aliens? I bet it was aliens
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 20, 2021, 06:31:50 pm »

I bought an uptone usb regen, how high does that put me on the cuckoo scale? (I was looking for a seperate power supply for my usb soundcard initially, had to use like 5-6m of cable (I'll pick one's with ferrite core for something like that, but all reused from other stuff, no money for voodoo cables, cables are expensive enough) and that was causing issues, usb regen is what I settled with and I love the thing, increased system stability by several orders of magnitude even if windows is still kind of stupid when it comes to ASIO, and personally I prefer the sound). Not so long ago I would have told you 192kbs mp3 is enough, one or two songs will go unnoticed even on big time speaker for events. With the usb regen I am convinced I can hear when it's not 320kbs. I don't care for FLAC because if I started collecting that and take a liking in it, that would basically invalidate my current library, also: space, that might be getting less and less of an issue, but still there is old computers servicing my DJ equip.

I wouldn't put you super high on the cuckoo scale, but you're reaching it. Empirical measurements show that it's equal to placebo. If you ask me, I'd suggest doing ABX testing against the USB thing and nothing, but I'm saying this as someone who hasn't conducted an ABX test on themselves yet (and I'm not sure how'd you do that). Maybe your stock ASIO is just total shit or something.

Also, have you heard of our lord and savior, Opus? It's one of the best general-purpose audio codecs, beating out AAC in tests at 64 kbps and 96 kbps. It's miles better than MP3, I'll say that. The best part is that its best (and only?) encoder is completely free to use, completely free of all the legal nonsense surrounding AAC encoders. It's gotten lots of use online; Discord, Spotify (odd, they seem to use Vorbis, its predecessor, instead), WhatsApp, YouTube, and so on. It's able to scale from 6 KHz narrowband voice all the way to 48 KHz fullband music.

It's unfortunate that it's not more popular in audiophile circles, but I think that's both down to its relative obscurity (older/more locked-down music players don't support this format), and to them being skeptical of its "you can have any sampling rate you want, as long as it's 48 KHz" stuff. Hydrogenaudio have an article on it with a bitrate table. They say it starts to approach transparency at 96 kbps, gets fairly close at 112, and is very close at 128. If you ask me, do ABX testing before you commit to a bitrate.

Start with FLAC and encode down to Opus, though; don't start from MP3. Repeated lossy encoding induces generation loss. Thankfully, freac supports Opus encodes, so it's quite easy to encode to it. (I was this close to suggesting FFmpeg, as if anyone non-technical would seriously consider working with a command-line program.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:33:37 pm by methylatedspirit »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:55 pm »

Eh, FFmpeg has graphical frontends floating around. Could swear I used it for something at some point, but I definitely don't recall what. Huh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 20, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:51:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:25 pm »

Eh, FFmpeg has graphical frontends floating around. Could swear I used it for something at some point, but I definitely don't recall what. Huh.

Isn't every open-source audio and video thing a front-end for FFmpeg? /s

No, but really, Handbrake's a front-end for FFmpeg, freac's a front-end, VLC's a front-end (which is why it supports so many obscure formats), everything's a front-end for FFmpeg at some point. I don't really want to tell drag to use a command-line thing when perfectly good graphical front-ends exist. It's easier that way, and I don't see freac obscuring much of the technical detail.

Freac is the best, googling for an alternative is pure cancer, they're all trial based.

I could not agree with you more.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 20, 2021, 07:03:49 pm »

If VLC doesn't play it, is it even real media?

Speaking of media formats, one of my pipe dreams is to make an imgur-analogue for short snippets of audio (I think the limit is second seconds to avoid copyright?); I'd call it oggl.og or something. Ogg log. 'Cuz audio memes are incredible and they're much less shareable than image memes.

I've definitely renamed ogg files to ogv just so I could upload them through steam to share to friends. C'mon, Steam, you gotta do better and just let me throw the whole ogg at buddies.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 20, 2021, 07:06:30 pm »

I'd call it oggl.og or something.
Sadly not a real TLD.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 20, 2021, 07:08:50 pm »

I'll just have to buy that domain ahead of Osgiliath and let the LOTR nerds clamor for it when I'm deceased, then.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 180