Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alligator breeding  (Read 445 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Alligator breeding
« on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

Hey,

I just caught a breeding pair of the big ol' snappers. However, I've not really used egg-layers before. Do they need to be tamed? Does the bug stopping aquatic animals from egg-lying apply to them?

Thanks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alligator breeding
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »

Egg layers need nest boxes, and alligators are not (wholly) aquatic, so they should be fine with using above water nest boxes. Nest box usage appears to require taming, and semi trained creatures can revert to wild unless they're retrained. However, females sitting on nest boxes can now be trained without the eggs dying (assuming they were fertilized in the first place).
Also note that eggs are typically collected, which you want to avoid for fertilized eggs. This can be achieved through forbidding the eggs inside the nest box (not the box itself), exclude that particular kind of eggs from all food stockpiles (so they're not collected anyway), and ensure no cooking is taking place (as I've had a cook raid a nest box for eggs).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Alligator breeding
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:01:24 pm »

Fun fact:

When i did it years ago with saltwater crocs, the eggs always hatched with the level of taming that was present on the mother at the time of hatching, not the time of laying. I assume this is still true.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0