Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.12] Fallout Equestria Redux(v0.41.6):automatic weapons, caste overhaul  (Read 495 times)

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since the original maintainers of this mod (Lycaeon and UnicodingUnicorn) are long gone, I am making another thread so that I have control of the OP.  Original thread here if you want to read the 200+ pages of history behind this mod.  Now, without further ado...

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria…

There came an era when the ideals of friendship gave way to greed, selfishness, paranoia, and a jealous reaping of dwindling space and natural resources. Lands took up arms against their neighbors. The end of the world occurred much as we had predicted – the world was plunged into an abyss of balefire and dark magic. The details are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely our own. The world was nearly wiped clean of life. A great cleansing; a magical spark struck by pony hooves quickly raged out of control. Megaspells rained from the skies. Entire lands were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the burning oceans. Ponykind was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the ambient radiation that blanketed the lands. A quiet darkness fell across the world…

[DF 0.44.12] Version 0.41.6 (DFFD)
Github Releases
FoER Wiki

A continuation of the total conversion mod for Dwarf Fortress, inspired by Fallout:Equestria and its many side stories. Lead an expedition of stable dwellers across the balefire-scorched wastes, forging the last bastions of civilization in a world without kindness or laughter. With everything once dear and loved to you now scattered dust, where all that remains seeks your demise, from abominations twisted by radiation, to your fellow ponies, consumed by madness, you may survive, or even persevere…but will you retain your virtues?

Screenshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installation
Download the following files:
Fallout Equestria Redux
Dwarf Fortress
dfhack
Phoebus graphics pack

I also suggest getting the Dwarf Therapist utility.  It isn't necessary, but it is very convenient.
Dwarf Therapist
If you want improved graphics, download TWBT.
Text will be Text

Once you have the necessary files, follow the instructions contained in the FoE install guide included with the mod files.

If you want another graphics pack/tileset instead of phoebus, you will need to change a few lines inside init.txt (the install guide explains how).

New to Dwarf Fortress?

Testimonials

Factions

The Wasteland

The Ministries

Gemstones

Credits
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:15:08 am by thefriendlyhacker »
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the strongest!
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12]Fallout Equestria Redux(v0.41.6):automatic weapons, caste overhaul
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:40 am »

Great to see this on new versiion. Very great! Now, most important question: will unicorns in tantrums cast spells offensive on other ponies, or just kick\slash them in the face?
Rest of the sigs
Again, we were meant to scout out the place, bribe the right people, get intel, sneak in, sneak out. We are currently somewhere beneath the crater, fumbling for gasmasks

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:54:54 am »

Great to see this on new versiion. Very great! Now, most important question: will unicorns in tantrums cast spells offensive on other ponies, or just kick\slash them in the face?
They will just kick other ponies.  Offensive interactions don't get used unless in "serious" combat i.e. anything in which the participants are trying to kill each other with weapons.  You will also notice this when your ponies get into a tussle with wildlife - your ponies won't draw weapons to fight wildlife or hose them down with minigun fire unless you issue an order through the squad menu, and the wildlife will eventually stop attacking your citizens if both your citizen and the wild creature survive long enough.  AFAICT this is also the reason why turrets don't open fire on wildlife, but do shoot invaders.

Berserking ponies will use attack spells, but there aren't any attack spells that can kill or permanently cripple ponies with a single cast IIRC.  The only spells that can do that are spells that target enemies, and berserking ponies still have to comply with the restrictions of the FFID system that prevents your casters from hurting their allies (they may even buff the other ponies they are trying to kill if they know an ally targeting spells).

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:57 pm »

I have a sorta-release available for anyone who cares to try it.  It adds shotguns weapons and canister rounds for the AMR (turning it into a high velocity shotgun).

While I am making a post, I might as well ask - does anyone have any feedback on the caste overhaul?  I didn't go over it too finely when I wrote it since it took forever to do and I just wanted to release the damn thing by the end, so I would not be surprised if it needs tweaks.

I would also like some opinions on a change I am considering for weapon skills.  At the moment, all skills except whips and blowdarts are used by stable weapons.  Given that it is best to restrict squads to a single weapon skill for instruction purposes, I am not sure I like how many different squad types get pushed onto the player at once. I am thinking about consolidating weapon skills by doing the following:
  • All firearms get grouped into Gunner (probably Crossbow), with the exception of heavy weapons.
  • Heavy weapons, including the AMR, get grouped into a Heavy Weapons skill (probably Bows)
  • Energy weapons use an Energy Weapons skill (Blowguns).  Fallout players should recognize this skill arrangement.
  • All three projectile skills get stable training weapons (probably the crossbow, air rifle and something else)
  • Combat Knife and Ripper get classed as swords
  • Glaive weapons get classed as spears
  • Sledgehammers and Kinetic Hammers get classed as Maces
This will give the player a couple of weapon choices in each skill category, and should reduce the amount of squads they have to field to use all the skills they get from random migrants.

Thoughts?