Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread! Game is live!  (Read 26169 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 03:35:52 pm »

A week? Hah, you'll be lucky to get through the first adventure :P

a bizarre fetish (I'm going to interpret this as the inanimate object with religious or mystical associations definition of 'fetish'...)
In this setting? It could easily be either definition, though given the PG-13 nature of the forum I'd probably veto the other interpretation just to be on the safe side.

And you know, you can reroll things if they simply don't make sense. Like, given Raina's odd background and profession rolls, I would allow either to be re-rolled to avoid these sorts of brain-twisting explanations. Unless IcyTea is okay with the combo, of course.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 03:42:00 pm »

And you know, you can reroll things if they simply don't make sense.
Heresy.

We'll just say that Raina has a very magnetic personality... Of the same polarity as every piece of iron she's encountered so far.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:47 pm »

It's not really a brain-twisting explanation, it's just really implausible for someone to go 11 years without touching iron. But I don't mind; I've played characters with less likely backstories. At least I didn't have to include time travel in this one. (What if an unaware changeling's true age was more than their apparent age?)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »

It's sorta less the improbability of never encountering iron, and more the improbability of encountering the stuff in her professions. There is a lot of iron in medieval arms and armor, and even if Raina never picked up a scalpel and started cutting into people there are various tools made of iron. Though I imagine that tools made of other metals, such as brass, exist. Well, it's up to you. Just probably don't expect the secret to last long.

As for your other example, that'd probably be vetoed. Mental gymnastics are all well and good, but some things just add needless complications.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

Probably still a fair few copper tools going around, which I believe were still used by poorer communities for a fair while after iron was the hot new thing.

Really though, leaving it as just "iron" is kinda rough on the fae creatures... Normally you see stuff like "wrought iron" or "cold iron", which applies a level of specificity to it that lets you finagle things a bit.

Like, most weapon/armor-quality "iron" was actually steel, more or less... Is steel also iron? Perhaps worked, refined iron-steel is fine for the fae, while "raw" iron is dangerous to them. Dunno.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 04:33:37 pm »

I believe one of the supplements makes it clear that it's the magnetic qualities of iron that fae creatures find difficult to be around or, especially, touch. I'll have to check and get back to you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »

"Fuckin' Magnets: How Do They Work?", the RPG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »

Quoted from Terrible Beauty, the supplement with rules for playing as pixies, hobgoblins, and actual elves:
Faeries cannot stand iron’s touch. Even its smell offends them. The trouble they have with iron has to do with the metal’s magnetic properties, which interfere with faerie magic. Being magical creatures, the same disruption causes them extreme discomfort when they touch the metal, and some find their magical abilities start to unravel. Extended contact with iron or any of its alloys can leave burn marks.

Fortunately, the rules allow for non-iron weapons and armor; after all, this is a world of magic where iron vulnerability is a known factor for many creatures. Even better, the stats and prices are identical. The only real difference is that non-metal weapons can shatter on impact with metal, and you have to roll a 0 or less for that to happen.

(The background options for some of these faerie creatures are absurd, by the way.)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:31 pm »

There is a lot of iron in medieval arms and armor
Looking at the prices in the rulebook, I'd actually expect a mercenary company (which, let's be honest here, is more a band of brigands than a legitimate army) to use surprisingly little: with metallic armour starting at a crown per suit and swords at 5 shillings, I'd imagine the rank and file would use the cheaper leather armours and spears, and that the officers in heavier gear wouldn't trust the newbie girl to heal them. Raina being in a non-combatant role, it's possible she wasn't even given weapons or armour of her own, and she only grabbed one in self-defense when the time came.

even if Raina never picked up a scalpel and started cutting into people there are various tools made of iron.
Physician's tools of the time: Linen bandages. Herbal remedies. Leeches. Prayer. Magic. Maybe a trepanning drill if a surgeon isn't available. Making those herbal remedies requires more tools, which might be made of metal, but they're mostly sharp and/or hot while in use with little reason to touch them beyond accidents. Which is where we come back to improbabilities but not impossibilities.

It's worth noting that Raina's profession is Academic:Medicine rather than Common:Healer. I'd say the former is more likely to be a classical physician, while the latter is more likely to be a barber-surgeon or the like.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:26 am »

I would like to display my interest with the below WIP entirely rolled sheet.

Spoiler: Hate the Orc (click to show/hide)

Being a grave robber, Hate is aware of the shame she should feel grubbing around amongst the decomposing dead, and as such is awkward with others, alone or in groups. Indeed, for her there are strangers, and then there are people to be afraid of: people she must deal with for everyday living, and people who make her run for the shadows. She is acquainted with the less reputable merchants and healers of the town, as they are to whom she must sell her treasures of metal and flesh. She naturally avoids agents of order, and is wary of those who are outwardly intelligent – they will surely use their intelligence to cheat her. She does not remember ever knowing anyone closely enough or long enough to consider them a friend. That said, when the barrier of fear is passed, Hate is often helpful to others, wanting to please, and has a dutiful sense of keeping her word. Unfortunately this barrier of fear is sometimes passed impulsively, not so much against her better judgement but without judgement: which is where her fear of being cheated may come from. Her willingness to please has been taken advantage of in the past because of this. Although Hate likes to help, and to keep her word, she may be erratic about doing this. It’s hard to fathom what makes her think a particular word is one to keep, perhaps.

Hate fears, quite generally. In particular she fears all that could pass judgement on her for parasiting off the dead; and she fears the undead, although she makes light of this: she's never met a moving body part she couldn't club into submission, she would like to joke. Corpses and death and blood, however, hold no fear for her. She doesn’t know that she values it as such, but Hate more than anything would like a feeling of security: she’s never felt more than a wild and fearful animal. She yearns in a way she could not express in words the security of not being hunted for what she does, and, although she is not so aware of this, the security of friendship – or at least, of the company of people who may not judge her for what she does, and is. Despite her sense of dutifulness, she has no real sense of honor – it’s been erased by the shame of years spent in the dirt. The one physical item she wouldn’t part with is her tin whistle. The sounds she makes from it are the only beautiful things that have ever been hers. It is perhaps the only way she expresses her fears and loathings and longings.

Indeed, playing the tin whistle is the only thing that Hate might consider an achievement. For months and months she would hide in the shadows listening to Angwyn, a local bard, and remember the rising and falling melodies, and later try to recreate them in the dark grubbiness of her hole. She is a self-taught musician, and both proud and insecure about this. Hate would prefer to have nothing to do with authority. She does not want to command, nor be commanded. If you ask her nicely though, she is likely to do what you need.

I haven’t thought of a secret yet.

Gigla - it occurs to me that via Maraline's father, to whom perhaps Hate sold her stolen grave goods and cadavers and organs, the two might have an acquaintainceship of sorts. I expect that Hate would also know a few other similarly disreputable types, and the type of healer or academic who likes dissecting bodies and such like.

edit: Oh! I forgot to add that Hate the Orc is quite attractive, for an orc. Skin blotchy like a toad, thin patchy fur and a forehead like a melting brick, but once someone described her as having "somewhat less brutish" features, which she took as quite the dashing compliment. It's hard to tell which features are the less brutish ones though, amongst her imposing frame of 7 foot 6 and 550lbs.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:32:17 am by lawastooshort »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 12:55:01 pm »

How about a little bump? We've got four characters put together; should be enough for a game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:17 pm »

Probably, yes. I was kinda hoping for five but four will probably not be too much more difficult.

I think the amount of overlap in professions and backgrounds might cause a bit of difficulty (nearly everyone has martial and/or criminal origins, which while useful means that a lot of more esoteric knowledge will be hard to come by), but since a lot of paths grant additional professions y'all ought to be able to branch out a bit.

I would like the four prospective players (Kagus, IcyTea, Giglamesh, and lawastooshort) to give some thought on what sort of paths your character might pursue over the course of the campaign. You don't need to have every single thing sorted, but a general idea - even just your novice path - will allow me to get a better feel on what sort of loot should be available at what points. I don't want to, say, drop a bunch of heavy armor and two-handed weapons when everyone is planning on dedicating themselves to magecraft. Or the other way around, for that matter.

I'm planning to open the IC thread this Friday, possibly Saturday if Friday turns out to be especially busy.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 06:44:37 pm »

I'm going for healing and transformation spells, and later a bit of support from another school, probably divination. I'll probably wear light armour and wield swift weapons (I'm particularly keen for a sabre) and pistols (once I can afford them) for some swashbucklling action when not transformed. Of course, if the story takes Raina to another direction, I'm open to change.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 04:30:41 am »

Hum, I had a better idea at the time of rolling the character up where she could develop, let me see.

The obvious next step is Rogue or Warrior, depending on what develops, since her Will and Intellect are a little inferior, and she's got a sneaking about kind of background. And then quite likely Scout (more probably than Ranger), as that would fit into her character of not being comfortable with others but still wanting to fit in with others. And then depending on how things work out for her and the group, Executioner, Explorer, or Infiltratror might be appropriate.

(I did consider that if something terrible happens to her she might become a Cleric of the one-eye god, in a very bloody way, and then an Executioner.)

I am very happy to be guided by what happens in the story, and by what is useful to the group.

edit: if crazy stuff happened to her, it would be nice to develop into some kind of bard or shaman... but a useful Rogue-Scout-Explorer might be... useful.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:16:26 am by lawastooshort »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 07:14:50 am »

A question about transformations, by the way: the sidebar on page 147 notes that I can use a triggered action to "switch between forms". Does this mean that while an Animal Shape spell is active, I can suppress it and then continue it later, for instance if I want to cast other spells (which transformations prevent because you need to be able to talk to cast), or simply that I can cancel an Animal Shape spell at will? Depending on the answer, my plan might change to include the lesser Animal Shape spell for flexibility.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7