Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423719 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

My office sent me a weird denialist message along the lines of "the virus is only proven to spread in groups, and since our interactions with customers are one-to-one we can keep working safely". It's like someone took the Christian abstinence propaganda I was fed in high school and put it through a wheat thresher.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile ... have you seen less and less of upper management recently?

Keep working plebs, while we get sealed into our bio-domes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm fortunately in a very isolated spot between disposable entry and middle management. I shall be the only survivor, and wage my war of extinction upon the Domes in the advent of the New Earth.

Their soft bellies will split before my blade.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New story on the testing bans:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/12/21175034/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-usa

First, Eaker called her local health department and was told her patient didn’t qualify for testing since they hadn’t traveled to China, per the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the time. After the CDC relaxed its testing criteria, the patient was still sick, so Eaker called again. “I didn’t receive a phone call back,” she says.

The patient thought they had pneumonia and asked to be tested for peace of mind. Finally, last week, after Eaker ordered some test kits herself from a private lab, she got a call back. “The health department told me I was not allowed to use those test kits — that I ordered — without their permission!”

There was that story a couple of days ago about the CDC not allowing the testing of flu samples because that might breach privacy. That was one thing. This is the government deliberately banning sick people who want to be tested from being tested with privately-sourced tests.

Meanwhile, the commercial tests the clinic ordered still haven’t arrived.

Sounds a lot like the CDC called the private company who makes the test kits and prevented the order from going out. Can't have pesky local health workers just getting hold of tests and testing people themselves. Can't control the messaging if that happens.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:16:52 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Oh god I forgot you all don't necessarily know about the people who have been showing likely symptoms and got refused due to lack of travel.

This is what I meant by "clear cases of community spread" because until just recently there has been a flat out denial of testing for those who weren't overseas in certain countries, and lets all laugh at the idea that any returning flights getting tested when people were being asked "did you fly in from China" and responding "no, Italy" only to be told "wow, sounds fun, have a nice day" before they can just leave.

Is it likely that Ohio is overestimating when they guess 100k?

Yes... it is impossible that they might be right?

No, we won't know how bad this shit is for months I'd say.

When I was worrying a fewdays ago about tens of thousands of deaths it was because I was expecting SOME sort of efforts to have been taken before now, instead of a half-assed financial stimulus and further denial.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Before I thought the CDC was just incompetent
Now I believe the CDC is actively working against the public good.
There’s also the FDA wrapping all the private tests up in bureaucracy tape for reasons
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

WHat is scary is the mismanagement. In Spain things might be under control if they hadn´t HELD FUCKING RALLIES last week, in full knowledge there was a pandemic. Bit of karma about that though: the main advocates of the rallies (Irene MOntero and Pablo Iglesias from Podemos on the left, and Ortega-Smith and Abascal on the alt-right side) are actually infected. I¨m kind of hoping that now that their idiocy has been exposed to the whole country both parties will collapse. We wont be so lucky though.

The way things are going I think we´re going to have to rely on China to bail Europe out with advice and equipment.. Guess we´ll be whitelisting Huaweii afterwards.  not that I had any problem with that mind you, but Trump will probably be grinding his teeth. But he´ll be too busy with the covid crisis in US I guess.

BTW specially bad that the German goverment refused to support an EU wide program to address the COVID crisis and instead pretty much went for an every man for himself approach. So much for solidarity.

It´s idiocy btw.  It has spread. This is exactly the kind of crisis that goes better if you pool resources.
And to think that in 3 days Bolsonaro-encouraged fash rallies will pop up all over the country!

Speaking of, one of Bolsonaro's aides (who sat right next to Trump when they were in the US just now) is infected.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also note that Germany has 2700+ confirmed cases. Which sounds like a lot compared to USA right. Except they only have 6 confirmed deaths. That's what a reasonable level of testing looks like. That level of testing would put the USA around 10K confirmed cases if they did that. I fully expect the USA numbers to shoot past some of the other nations.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Oh Is it likely that Ohio is overestimating when they guess 100k?

Yes...
I mean, they're estimating 1% of their population currently has it. Out of an 11 million population. And this shit has been spreading in the US since probably like January, from what folks are piecing together. They're likely not overestimating. We're just not fucking testing. So it can be hard to tell how bad it actually is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also note that they're saying 10 critical patients and 41 deaths in the USA current.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Other than a few outliers where deaths can be counted on one hand, the USA is the only nation claiming deaths > critical patients. Either America is "special" or that's an omission of cases. also of note is the point that USA is claiming "recovered" patients is less than the deaths. Which nobody else is saying either. So there are clearly people who've been through the health system, but weren't tested unless it was damn obvious they have it, so critical patients are being missed and if they get better, they're not being counted in the outbreak stats.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:44:30 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I'm afraid 10k confirmed is very low if we had the ability to test everyone wanting tests right now, with the long incubation, length of illness, and people in the federal government only barely admitting it is a problem today, I'm expecting "mysterious deaths" to start rocketing upwards any day now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm seriously starting to think Trump's plan is just to never test and try to let the deaths be quiet and in bed instead of loud and in hospitals. It's how the US deals with all health issues for uninsured people already.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

And to think that in 3 days Bolsonaro-encouraged fash rallies will pop up all over the country!

Speaking of, one of Bolsonaro's aides (who sat right next to Trump when they were in the US just now) is infected.

ironic.gif
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Pokemon GO basically gifted everyone 30 "incense", an existing premium item that lets you catch pokemon without walking.  They call it a "Winter Box", but it only took me an embarrassingly long few seconds to understand the reason.
(You have to buy it for 1 premium currency, which you can get 50 of every day for free)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pokemon GO basically gifted everyone 30 "incense", an existing premium item that lets you catch pokemon without walking.  They call it a "Winter Box", but it only took me an embarrassingly long few seconds to understand the reason.
(You have to buy it for 1 premium currency, which you can get 50 of every day for free)

How long before they spawn Koffings and Weezings everywhere?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 459