Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421463 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #3030 on: May 10, 2020, 12:54:15 pm »

(Like putting in a late order for PPE from another country, seemingly forgetting to sign the export papers. Also possibly forgetting to tick the Express Delivery option so military planes had to go over to collect half of it, but even then had to wait for it to be released. Then when it arrives and it is discovered to not be up to standard and last we hear of it it's sitting in some warehouse, still unused.  It's almost Spitfires From Iron Railings, but without the misplaced sense of achievement.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: May 10, 2020, 01:00:05 pm »

Yeah I was gonna say what Chairman Poo said. And in the US: 1/3 of our dead are in nursing homes. Which is just kinda how it works, sadly. There's no shortage of series of unfortunate events across the world, so the fact that Sweden's numbers so off remains unusual to me. The lack of testing tells me more, though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: May 10, 2020, 01:20:33 pm »

I can't say anything about the amount of 2 in comparison to Sweden in the rest of Europe, but I do know we have a lot less of 1, because the media keep bringing up comparisons about that.

I disagree about your opinion of not going on lockdown. It's the only reasonable course of action. I believe we're going to see large increases in cases in lockdown countries again now that they're unlocking again, like what seems to be happening in Germany. I'm almost completely behind Tegnell's policy except his unwillingness to think that face masks can be pointful in the case of asymptomatic spreaders.

If there's any guilt to be had then it's with the politicians who sold out the Swedish crisis stockpile system which caused the lack of safety gear among relevant workers, and the elderly home businesses for not taking necessary precautions to prevent spread at their sites.

Yeah I was gonna say what Chairman Poo said. And in the US: 1/3 of our dead are in nursing homes. Which is just kinda how it works, sadly. There's no shortage of series of unfortunate events across the world, so the fact that Sweden's numbers so off remains unusual to me. The lack of testing tells me more, though.

These are slightly old numbers (from 28th of April) as the article is a bit old, but in Sweden 90% of all deadly cases are 70+ years of age. Of these 50% were in elderly homes, and 26% had home-service (daily elderly care in their own homes). So in Sweden it's roughly 76% of 90% of the deceased.

I'm not a math person. I can't convert that to a percentage of 100% ;)
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: May 10, 2020, 02:15:39 pm »

Just watched a great comedy on the telly.

Somebody really went to town with the cut-away graphics (especially the animation on the "hovering between Level 3 and Level 4" diagram).

Apparently "COVID Alert Level = R(Rate of infection) + Number of infections". Which is one hell of a formula.

I love the totally arbitrary use of the R=1 label on this one that is supposed to look like a graph but makes no sense as one (even if you imagine it is axially labelled).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:22:41 pm by Starver »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: May 10, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »

What I find interesting is that mant European countries are having identical, although not necessarily simultaneous or equally named, phases. Ireland has phases 1-5, Spain 0-4, UK seems 0-4 as welll...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: May 10, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »

It's a standard DefCon Diagram. (Well, inverted. The UK "Queen's Orders" scale went from 1=Peace to 5=Full War, though.)

Just enough divisions to make sense (safe,safe-ish,iffy,squeakybumtime,kissyourarsegoodbye), not so many as to confuse matters.

(edit: Ah, sorry, Phases, not alert levels... Ignore... But similar "handful of stages" thing, maybe...)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:29:23 pm by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: May 10, 2020, 05:56:25 pm »

All that compass reminds me of is that I really need to find my Tendskin so I can start shaving regularly again.
I look forward to beards going out of style among young hipster dudes, you can pry mine from my cold dead jawbones, I'm growing silver streaks in goddammit! Like Garfield had, dude was epicbearded!

We're still at too high a ratio so far on positive/tested with 1.3/9.3, still seeing spikes in states with protests, and over 80k known deaths now.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: May 10, 2020, 07:18:40 pm »

Wisconsin just went over 10k cases, and they’re still nowhere near their target of doing 11k tests a day.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: May 10, 2020, 07:59:40 pm »

Ha. Just checked up on liberty county again, here in florida. Starting last weekend, they went from sub five, to over fifty, to nearly 200 confirmed cases as of today. Duodecupled, then like tripled again. Fucking plague pits, man, the prisons are fucking plague pits :-\

On the bright side for them, their testing rates have become goddamn incredible. Something near a full fourth of the county's population has now been tested, apparently (~2k tested, ~8k pop).

... on the less bright side, even with that the positivity rate is still like 10 goddamn percent. County's infected as hell.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:04:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: May 10, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »

You put a prison in the county called Liberty?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: May 10, 2020, 11:49:05 pm »

The US has 1984 levels of irony.

Ministry of Love, and all that.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: May 11, 2020, 12:31:56 am »

I think the no-lockdown thing was a mistake. I think you should demand responsability from the Swedish head epidemiologist. Just like I think in Spain Fernando Simon should face responsabilities for his slow and lacklustre response early in the pandemic, and constant hesitations.
Well even though many experts seem to have underestimated the virus back in january, I am still thanking them. I'm all too happy that I am not in charge now. There is no good solution and any decision (lockdown or not) has grave downsides.

PS That's not to excuse the real long term mistakes that were made to cut back on health services and research in the name of profit, most blatantly by Trump. Or Trumps ways of making a bad situation worse in general.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:59:08 am by Quarque »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: May 11, 2020, 01:15:05 am »

Not to intentionally cross-infect ameripol..

https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/cuomo-was-wrong-to-order-nursing-homes-to-accept-coronavirus-patients/

Apparently Cuomo partially admits it was wrong to force nursing homes to admit covid patients. However, I disagree with the tactic he has taken as the alternative.

Rather than demand that patients test negative (and thus hold up hospital beds), I would suggest this more sensible policy:

If a nursing home has active covid, they can, at their discretion, accept back (or accept new) residents that have active covid.  If the home is still successfully quarantining their resident population against the disease, they should not be approached with covid patients.

While many elderly persons can be seriously compromised by covid (understatement of the century there), not all residents admitted to skilled nursing facilities are elderly. Many people in their 30s to 40s admit on temporary respite stays.  If a person is recovering, and does not need intensive care, but still needs skilled nursing, it makes sense to make use of already compromised care settings to facilitate that outcome, and free hospital beds for acute cases.

The key there, is "already compromised facilities."  Not "Forcibly compromise successful quarantines because of hospital bed shortages."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:57 am »

I look forward to beards going out of style among young hipster dudes, you can pry mine from my cold dead jawbones, I'm growing silver streaks in goddammit! Like Garfield had, dude was epicbearded!

If you are already this defensive about your beard, think how a hipster (or a dwarf) would react.

I foresee a bright future for the beard, in fact, the beard will become the mask.
Hipsters will develop and share diagrams for knitting and braiding your beard into the perfect face mask, instantly solving the problem of the lack of protective gear for the male half of the population. The age of the beard is upon us!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: May 11, 2020, 01:47:46 am »

A properly trimmed beard is not an obstacle to a face mask.

I still have mine, and I wear a mask daily. You just have to keep it shorter, and better shaped.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 459