Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423905 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3675 on: July 16, 2020, 02:12:30 pm »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1234046

Georgia doing it’s part in keeping Covid19 strong for the school season. 

God Bless America.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 16, 2020, 02:13:36 pm »

Kemp is very upset that DeSantis has been beating him out for America's Scummiest Governor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 16, 2020, 02:45:11 pm »

We seem to have had the "we need to look 'normal' ASAP" attitude from the top (both when considering the original, pre-lockdown response and in the unlocking phase), which I ascribe clearly to wanting to look at least as unfettered as Germany mostly manages to be - for Brexit reasons, obviously - and this is only slightly spoiled by having now had far the worst time of any 'important' country in Europe and having to repush localised/delayed responses on us again (Leicester and the masks-for-shops, etc)when the hope clearly was that we'd got over the hump and should only be heading back to normality, our reputation a bit tattered on the continental/world stage but now "nothing to see here, honest guv"...

I mean, when we slammed the Lockdown on, we'd had schools and colleges reacting a week or two before, even the Football League ("not a matter of Life Or Death, it's far more important than that")[1] had blown the whistle to stop play. But the sudden "Ok, we're locked down, tomorrow", seemed to be as if the driving-test guy had tapped the dashboard for an emergency stop (where "key wheels" were allowed to keep rolling forwards) and now he's almost tapping the dashboard to tell us that we now need to start looking in the mirrors (like they weren't too bothered about, before), now that we're actually merging back into traffic from a quiet sideroad we did our three-point-turn on.

[1] I'm not a football person, but it is obvious to me that this is not a small decision. My 'own' sport (a distinct subsection of a multifaceted recreation) is an inherently socially-distancing activity, during the event, and not even a huge spectator-puller, by most standards, but the national governing body still had pulled the season and by now is only just starting to allow participation to renew but with revamps to remove the 'HQ' gathering/reconvening and keep officials and competitors alike sufficiently separate from each other out to before arriving and after leaving. You even bring your own pen to Sign On/Off on the paperwork!  Despite (or because of) this, at District level we've advised at least one major event that we cannot accept their going ahead, and most of the ones scheduled before autumn have been pulled/not-reinstated by their organisers, with various ones after that either undecided or not publicly decided upon but probably going to call off.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: July 17, 2020, 05:47:07 pm »

Speaking of horseshit, more shenanigans from down under: a flyer was put in letterboxes yesterday throughtout Garran, a suburb of Canberra (the national capital), that is home to a 'temporary' Covid testing site (adjacent the hospital).  Really recommend viewing/reading the reproduced image of the flyer if you are up for a good laugh, it has doozies like "The upcoming COVID-19 'vaccination' will contain a UN tracking device'.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-17/act-conspiracy-theory-coronavirus-letter-delivered-to-canberrans/12465162

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: July 17, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »

wow.

Just.. Just wow.

I see AU is on course to rival US in terms of crackpot potency.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: July 17, 2020, 06:18:07 pm »

(@Naxza) Because of the Fixed Term act, for elections, which specifies 5 years, the next anticipated UK General Eection is May 2024, because the previous one was late last year and it's supposed to be a given day in May in the fifth year hence from the prior election, unless that prior election was even earlier in the year in which case it's the May four years hence.

Spoiler: Maybe... (click to show/hide)

Thus, unlike in the US, we aren't (expecting to be) voting any time soon. But even in the midst of the Pandemic, we're obviously being geared up to do the early-2021 Brexity thing (the thing the early-2020 Brexity thing set up to happen), and for that we need not to look like the film 28 Days Later is happening for real (even if it means that in trying not to look like it, we actually end up more like it than we needed to), to get the 'best' out of things. I think some of those in charge (behind the scenes) would have prefered the (in-universe hoped-for) Edge Of Tomorrow template of Europe being over-run, where we just need to prove we have the wherewithall to re-enact D-Day and save the day, generously allowing the Yanks to tag along and give them a purpose in life or something...

(Though, at one point, it looked more like Day Of The Triffids was the model, where the Isle Of White was going to be the start of the global fight back against the menace, but with surveillance and smartphones instead of surveillance and flame-throwers.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:34:58 pm by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: July 17, 2020, 06:50:39 pm »

(Double-post, but the editing to that last one was mostly Typos corrected, this is New Information, though I'll borrow an element of my prior post anyway...)

Instead of WW2/D-Day, it seems it's WW1/"It'll all be over by Christmas"...  Call me a pessimist[1], but I doubt it.

[1] As if you're going to be so kind to only call me that(!)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: July 19, 2020, 03:46:51 pm »

Yay, so we will need a powerful vaccine for it! that gonna last until 2025 isn't it.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: July 19, 2020, 03:52:19 pm »

Does this mean we would need shots every month or possibly every week?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: July 19, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »

This isn't a confirmation, but alongside the other alleged reinfections it is a bad fucking sign. We know the antibody levels don't last and we know that other human coronaviruses tend not to cause lasting immunity. The question now is how well immune memory can respond to reinfection. If well, immunity and vaccines might work fine. If not...
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: July 19, 2020, 03:58:15 pm »

Nah, but boosters every 3 months means most people won't do it, even if they could somehow afford to. We're looking at more of a permanent thing now. Assuming the reinfection thing is real.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: July 19, 2020, 04:06:50 pm »

Why would someone not get booster shots every 3 months if they could afford to do so, assuming that these booster shots would reduce the risk of infection?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: July 19, 2020, 04:09:36 pm »

Nah, but boosters every 3 months means most people won't do it, even if they could somehow afford to. We're looking at more of a permanent thing now. Assuming the reinfection thing is real.

That’s only really a problem in countries that charge for healthcare or have significant anti-vac movements.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: July 19, 2020, 04:41:31 pm »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
The doctor “tested positive again because she has remnants of her first virus still floating around in her body,” a hospital spokesperson told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.
 The doctor suffered from fever, cough and muscle pain when she tested positive for the virus in April, but she recovered and tested negative in May and June.
Starting to look like this virus shares traits with HIV, in that it can hide itself from the immune system (and tests) in the body.  As in, once you got it, you're a carrier for life.

That’s only really a problem in countries that charge for healthcare or have significant anti-vac movements.
Depends how sick you get from the vaccine itself.  Not everyone can afford to call in sick for a week every 3 months / not every boss will be very understanding and not fire you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:51:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 459