Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421416 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"And is there a way we can do something like that, by pushing a pineapple inside, almost a reaming? So it'd be interesting to check that."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

"And is there a way we can do something like that, by pushing a pineapple inside, almost a reaming? So it'd be interesting to check that."

“Of course I knew it would be pineapples that would be the cure, some very smart people were saying “it’s never going to work” but I told them “just you watch” and I was right.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The academic children hospital of Amsterdam has found antibodies that prevent corona infection in the milk of mothers that have survived corona infection.  What's even better, the antibodies survive pasteurization of the milk, which is important, because mother's milk can only be safely used by other people than the mother's infant after pasteurization.

Research has been initiated to see if the mother's milk can protect elderly people and other high risk groups against the virus.
Initial findings show that the antibodies from the mother's milk bind to the mucous membranes, thus giving a high chance of killing the virus even before it enters the lungs.

Inb4 women that had corona are purposedely impregnated and herded into mothermilk farms en masse to save us all.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:40:55 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loonies respond to Australia pre-ordering 25 million vaccine doses (enough for everyone) if it passes clinical trials.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-vaccine-antivaxxer-fury-over-australian-government-deal/news-story/c1bdcc8035a5bc2f9452d2f4f4552183

Many were also concerned about their vaccine coming with a side of 5G microchips.

“Leave my body alone Bill Gates, I don’t want your 5G tracking inside me,” one wrote.

Another said, “Say no to vaccines and no to chips. They can’t force you.”

One person explained, “The Mark of the Beast is here. That’s why it’s free.”

Is is just Australia btw? Barring the USA are other nations seeing similar amount of whackos coming out with this stuff?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:50:58 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Natural selection..  Let them 5G microchip conspiracy lunies die off from corona I'd say.  Goodbye and good riddance.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Oh they’re 5G microchips now.

Why is it Bill Gates that’s the apparent mastermind behind all this? Because he happens to be spending a great deal of money on philanthropy?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It largely started when he started trying to promote vaccinations in Africa.

Some American/Western religious and anti-vaxxers started spreading anti-vax conspiracies in those nations, indirectly leading to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths. They played on the general lack of education in Africa.

The "chipping" part comes from this: Along with the injection there's a small amount of UV-reactive dye on the vaccine application device, that sits under the skin, and the application device leaves a different pattern of dye depending on which vaccines they got. The dye sits under the skin for a few years. So the idea is that if you're doing a vaccine program in a part of Africa where everyone is illiterate villagers, you can put the UV scanner on their arm and check for any dye blobs, so you can tell which vaccines were already given and how long ago they were. It's for situations where there is no sort of central record keeping, and is intended to do away with the need to create one, which is the opposite of what the conspiracy theorists will tell you. it's similar to some hysteria about a website using cookies to maintain user persistence between pages. People freak out "I'm being tracked by cookies". But the point is that cookies are decentralized: they only exist on your PC, and using them can actually do away with the need for any central database. If your site doesn't even have a database but it uses cookies, then it's not "tracking" you.

Bill Gates also said something about using digital certificates for record keeping, and this got conflated with the dye trials as "injecting people with digital certificates" which is already crazy, and that then evolved to "injecting people with microchips" and later the 5G stuff was tacked on, too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:19:40 pm by Reelya »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

New Zealand's Foreign Minister Winston Peters responding to Trump's claim that NZ was experiencing a 'big surge' of Covid-19:

"The American people can work out that we have (the same number of COVID-19 cases) for a whole day that they have every 22 seconds."

Well, I hope...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

It largely started when he started trying to promote vaccinations in Africa.

Some American/Western religious and anti-vaxxers started spreading anti-vax conspiracies in those nations, indirectly leading to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths. They played on the general lack of education in Africa.

The "chipping" part comes from this: Along with the injection there's a small amount of UV-reactive dye on the vaccine application device, that sits under the skin, and the application device leaves a different pattern of dye depending on which vaccines they got. The dye sits under the skin for a few years. So the idea is that if you're doing a vaccine program in a part of Africa where everyone is illiterate villagers, you can put the UV scanner on their arm and check for any dye blobs, so you can tell which vaccines were already given and how long ago they were. It's for situations where there is no sort of central record keeping, and is intended to do away with the need to create one, which is the opposite of what the conspiracy theorists will tell you. it's similar to some hysteria about a website using cookies to maintain user persistence between pages. People freak out "I'm being tracked by cookies". But the point is that cookies are decentralized: they only exist on your PC, and using them can actually do away with the need for any central database. If your site doesn't even have a database but it uses cookies, then it's not "tracking" you.

Bill Gates also said something about using digital certificates for record keeping, and this got conflated with the dye trials as "injecting people with digital certificates" which is already crazy, and that then evolved to "injecting people with microchips" and later the 5G stuff was tacked on, too.

I have reservations about the UV dye.  If the group is organized enough to mount a mass-innoculation plan, they are organized enough to start digital charts on people, verify eligibility for the vaccination, and record what jabs were given.  Anything that leaves an identifiable mark on a patient needs to be done with a great deal of care; Not just crazy christian conservatives have problems with concealed body modification, A good deal of other cultures do too. (Just the christian ones get absolutely hysterical, and cause such a big problem that in some cases, it outweighs the benefit of the innoculations.)

As for tracking cookies-- If cookies were used for their intended function, and ONLY their intended function, I would agree with you.  The thing is, tracking people across multiple websites, and using cross-domain scripts to accomplish that, WAS NOT THE INTENT for either cookies, or javascript. Certainly not the production of perniciously persistent cookies, like the now infamous EverCookie.  There is a DESIRE to track people, for phat corporate profits through clear and present non-consentual and surreptitious online tracking, and corporate powers compelling developers to misuse their tools.  Sure, session persistence in your browser so your shopping cart does not get lost, for instance, is just fine.  But abusing Facebook/Google/AWS analytics to tag and then cross evaluate the user's browsing habits through cross site scripting and persistent cookies is not that thing.  If the user clears their cookies, RESPECT THEY CLEARED THEIR COOKIES.  If they choose not to keep persistent cookies (I do not, for instance-- I use a small compressed ramdisk to hold the browser cache, including the cookie store, mainly because browser makers have juvenile fantasies about how long data should last inside the browser cache, and also about how large it can be and how often it should be written to. I end-run that shit with my setup.) respect that too.  At worst, the user has to keep signing in all the damn time, assuming you are using cookies correctly.  Website breakage only happens when the developer is using cookies incorrectly.

Who decides when and where cookie use is incorrect?  The end user.  It's their computer getting the token put on it.  That is why respecting the decision must be the norm, and not the other way around.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for tracking cookies-- If cookies were used for their intended function, and ONLY their intended function, I would agree with you.  The thing is, tracking people across multiple websites, and using cross-domain scripts to accomplish that, WAS NOT THE INTENT for either cookies, or javascript. Certainly not the production of perniciously persistent cookies, like the now infamous EverCookie. 

The point with evercookie is that it's not a cookie. It uses

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only one of those things is actually a cookie. What it actually suggests is that worrying about blocking/clearing cookies specifically may be misdirected/false security. Anyway, browser fingerprinting is available anyway even if you don't have anything stored.

As for the UV dye, that doesn't actually facilitate the stuff you're talking about. The dye blob doesn't contain any identifiable information. So, sure, you could worry that it could be part of some large data-collection system, but there's no really plausible mechanism for that, since the only time that information is accessible is when a medical worker is pointing the scanner at your arm and sees what blobs you have, and at that point you could be literally anybody. So the blob conveys information but there's no mechanism to cross reference that with anything else to get usable information on an individual.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:19:24 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am well aware. I was pointing out its existence as an example of such misuse; it uses redundant data storage to prevent deletion, specifically to facilitate cross site tracking. Because there is DESIRE from corporate leadership for that.

Cookies were not intended to be used that way. That was the point.  There're cookies, and there are "cookies".  The evercookie is the latter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could actually use local storage that way to do targeted ads without actually having any central data however. Store someone's preference data on their PC then feed them ads based on that. It could be better, the back-end costs a lot of money to maintain.

EDIT: I know I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but the point here is that often you hear about these elaborate nefarious plans to track everyone by corporations. however an important question would be: is there a lazier or cheaper way to do it? Having a lot of data to manage is a double-edged sword. For example say TV could do targeted ads, they'd be able to sell the ad space for more money, however collecting and keep track of everyone who watches TV requires you to implement some high-cost back-end stuff and pay staff to manage that side of things.

So it's not just the money they get from ads, the entire cost of designing, building, maintaining the tracking systems must be paid for by the incremental difference in value between generic ad space and targeted ad space. And ... that's not actually worth a super-large amount. For example if they advertise during the Superbowl then they already have a fair profile of who watches the Superbowl and what ads are worthwhile. drilling down to be more specific than that therefore is increasingly marginal in value the more niche the show already becomes. Like if they're playing Transformers on a saturday morning then they can advertise toy cars and lego and shit during the ad breaks, and those ad slots will sell well. Knowing whether it's little Jimmy or Little Johnny watching isn't really worth that much more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:32:16 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say that corporations are not owed ever increasing supplies of income, but people are owed common decency.

As such, respecting conditions that limit corporate profit through technical in-feasibility seems a natural consequence worth accepting, at least in my eyes.

If it costs you more money to manage the data than you can derive from having the data warehoused, then that means you should not be collecting that much data. End of story.  It does not mean "Find some way to abuse other people's resources so that we can leverage them surreptitiously and make more moniez for the shareholders! Profits uber alles!"

The impetus to abuse my resources, is exactly why all storage for my browser (including the downloads directory) are hosted out of an ephemeral ramdisk.  If it were possible to inject purposefully inaccurate data on top of that, I would.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No need. Revoke corporate status, leave shareholders and CEOs responsible for all obligations, thereby making would-be corporations what they should be (too risky to be feasible) and thus paving the way for a system that is actually capitalist (rather than what we have now- mercantilism), and protect national businesses from foreign influence if and where necessary with intense tariffs.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds inefficient (on the global sense).

We (as a species) are not in a position to brook such wastefulness.  Means to punish bad actors is necessary, but your suggestion is a powerful step backward.

I am down with financial penalties for shareholders, and prison time for CEOs and Directors. However, tariffs are a step backward in all cases except where they stand in for sanctions for bad actors.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 459