00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240969 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #2835 on: April 25, 2020, 10:54:30 pm »

((They are yours to share as you like!))

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: April 26, 2020, 01:19:12 am »

"What is your assessment as to the necessity of keeping some technology forbidden? This world doesn't seem to have computers, for example."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: April 26, 2020, 01:22:48 am »

((So I trusted. I've nothing to hide-- and besides, this thread is becoming a grand read! I'd not want to withhold anything from the final telling.  ;) ))

Perhaps, in times of peace. A distraction from the true state of things. In times of war, more than that: an inspiration. An ideal. A story.
Men will kill, for a story. Men will die, for a story.

We must weave a story now. We must weave ourself into its core. We must appear before the people of SEED, and weave a story upon their hearts: a story to spark hope, a story to spark
zeal in them once again!

Soon. Soon now, we shall consider these things in earnest.

"What is your assessment as to the necessity of keeping some technology forbidden? This world doesn't seem to have computers, for example."

+1

"Of those Crusaders that survive, who would be best suited to the position of general?"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:28:06 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: April 26, 2020, 01:39:44 am »

Speaking isn't my strong suit. I cannot find the right words for most interactions--my tongue gets tied too easily--I prefer fighting. A gift from Alphira and the Interface, I suppose. I will defer to you on this front, most times.

"I can assign One to determine which of the surviving Crusaders would be a good general. The only one that comes to mind is Eric Applegate. He was heavily wounded in the retreat from the line and is a broken man. He's popular and excelled in his studies at the Officer's Academy. SEED was planning to lift him up as the next Great Crusader." He pauses, looking at you without any emotion, his eyes glinting in the dim lights, "And he's far separated from Hardy and the old Crusader Administration."

"As for forbidden technology-- the survival of SEED's people is of the utmost importance. It is up to you. SEED forbid many technologies to prevent ecological devastation and to prevent key technologies from falling to [the Plague]." He turns, walking stiffly towards a locker and pulling out a metallic briefcase, which he sets down on the table. He pops it open, revealing a display, a keyboard, and a cube-shaped indentation.

'>...' blinks on the screen. "Special services are the only ones issued [computers]. SEED's justification on that matter was it could raise questions on similarities between them and itself."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: April 26, 2020, 01:59:14 am »

"That justification is no longer particularly relevant, I would think. Do you have schematics for the integrated circuits used, and do we have the manufacturing technology to reproduce them?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: April 26, 2020, 02:02:00 am »

"SEED had automated factories to produce those technologies." Zero offers by way of explanation. "With the Holy City's destruction, we do not have those capabilities."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: April 26, 2020, 02:13:58 am »

"We would have to start slow, then, by introducing digital logic to our engineers. Without microchips, the resulting computers would be massive and extremely limited... but it would be a start, I suppose. It's not really a priority at the moment. What are the capabilities of the few computers that we have?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: April 26, 2020, 02:26:25 am »

Zero removes a cube from a drawer, slotting it into the machine. Several programs pop up on screen, and Zero hits a key, drifting through them. All are based on a crude text interface. "Calculation programs. Data storage. Visualization. A good portion of our time was dedicated to entering information onto data-cubes so SEED could more easily process reports and suggested plans of action."

"As for the maximum capabilities...I don't know. These were tools for communication with SEED."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:30:31 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: April 26, 2020, 02:33:45 am »

"I believe I have a similar cube. SEED said it was from old Terra itself. Is this computer capable of interfacing with it?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: April 26, 2020, 02:58:36 am »

[20] For the first time since speaking with these nulls, these voids of willpower, these flesh and bone men with the minds of robots, you see something that might be approaching emotion on its face. A faint stirring of will, clamped down on and destroyed by ingrained processes within the brain of this automaton. "...you should bring that here."

"I'll go get it." Emma volunteers, glancing between the two of you.

She returns shortly, out of breath, with the glimmering cube in hand. Zero rotates the computer to you, and she slots it in.

[Seedship Program Unified Standard Template Intelligence] flashes on the screen as a graphical interface is generated. You scroll through it -- it's organized into branching paths, a flowing tree of technologies, training procedures, and factory designs. One leads to another, from simple iron working in clay kilns and the distillation of water and alcohol, all the way to asteroid harvesters, space elevators and defensive platforms. The more you look the more you realize: each technology builds on the principles of the last, forming less of a tree and more of a sphere of the various physical sciences. Several catch your eye. Looming -- That's how we were born. It assembles together donor DNA samples to create a new life. With the proper programming, it snips away all the bad genes that lead to cancers and other preventable diseases. Loomed humans have an incredible lifespan compared to others. The oldest baseline Loomed human lived to nearly four hundred if the tabloids are to be believed.

As well as a massive variety of weapons: las-guns, cutters, and one, you notice with a grin, is a very similar process to Warmachine construction. Another is labeled with a bright red warning; Fusion Based Explosive Devices.

"Did you happen to receive another?" Zero questions, hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:23:05 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: April 26, 2020, 06:59:43 am »

"We were only given the one, does this mean we only have part of the info?"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: April 26, 2020, 08:06:06 am »

((Can we see the parts of the tree we have as well as the technology path to Loom Humans?))
((The bold is in parentheses because I’m asking the GM, not Phoenix or Zero))

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: April 26, 2020, 10:03:48 am »

Emotion, destroyed by the subroutines of its own mind... what has SEED done to this man?

+1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: April 26, 2020, 10:08:52 am »

Emotion, destroyed by the subroutines of its own mind... what has SEED done to this man?

+1
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: April 26, 2020, 10:19:19 am »

+1
+1
+1
Emotions can lead to irrational decisions, so they are suppressed to ensure they don’t muddle thoughts
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 381