00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240287 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2020, 11:12:01 pm »

William turns, heading out the courtyard, and you find yourself following along. Emma trails behind you, apprehensive. He's taller than you by about half a foot, a slender youth who seems only a few years older than yourself. But there's a presence about him and his eyes. You know what Mother Nicole meant when she said you looked like a killer. You see it in William's eyes, a certain disregard.

A squad of six stands ready for William on the path out of the Academy. They wait a respectful distance away, clad in worn, thickly plated vests with battle-rifles on their backs. Even Emma seems surprised as the approach William, slipping one of these vests over his thin Body, tightening it. They hand him a rifle, and he flashes the two of you a smile, extending a heavy coat with a red thorn on it towards Emma. She hesitates, before trading her robe out. You notice that red thorn on everyone's vest, right on the shoulder. They surround you in a tight cluster, William at the head, defending you as they walk.

With a small nod, they turn down towards the city, everyone but William slipping on a helmet. When one of his squad offers him one, he shakes his head, waving it away. "They're supposed to see me, Gem."

You come into a dead-silent town. The festival is over, or everyone thought it best to pack up. William approaches one of the restaurants, trying the door only to find it locked. He knocks twice, and a frightened server rushes to open it. He smiles at her and claims a seat as his squad spreads out to cover the windows and entry-ways. You take a place next to Emma, who gives you a weak smile.

The server hands you a menu, giving you each a glass of a light beer before fleeing back into the kitchen.

Code: (menu) [Select]
[Barley-analog] stew, with soft white rolls
Stewed [beans] with smoked [veal-analog] shoulder, served with sweet honey rolls
Pureed [carrot-analog] soup, with freshly roasted baby [carrot-analog]

Roasted [ Large Insect] steak, with potatoes and assorted [vegetables], served with a [mead] vinegar sauce
Pan-fried [veal-analog] with a dried [fig-analog] sauce, soft [noodles] and sweet fermented [cabbage-analog]
[Butter]-poached smoked [fish] with assorted greens and young potatoes
Pan-fried [Large Insect] steak, topped with a honey-[wheat-analog] crust, served with a red wine sauce, assorted [vegetables] and mashed potatoes

"So, I speak for my father when I say that we greatly appreciate owing Mother Nicole a favor. Especially since she let us know there was an issue in the first place." William starts, giving the menu the briefest of glances, "I am glad Emma is safe. I'm also impressed that you managed to kill five people on your own."

"That's talent right there." He does a double-take at the menu, "Oh, they have fish. Have you guys tried fish? SEED just started distributing it. I hear it is a lot like [insect] meat, but softer."

"So, Pheobe, what does the Thornton family owe you for helping us with our problem?" He finally states, his eyes on you, a fixed smile curling his lips. " And would you like to help us more with it? I'd love to see you in action." There's a strange tone in his last statement, one that seems to annoy Emma, who shifts closer to you. "After all, wouldn't you want to get revenge on the people who tried to hurt your friend?"

"William," Emma warns bluntly.

The server returns, hurrying to your table with a pad of paper.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:13:45 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2020, 11:34:55 pm »

Mmm, nothing beats large insect steak.  Definitely order that.

I'm pretty sure that if we don't agree to help, we'll be in great danger, probably greater than if we agreed to assist.  As for the reward, a higher-quality weapon or duster, or a large number of credits may be useful. 

Alternatively, we could opt to forego the reward for now, instead having a favor from the Thorntons that we can keep as an ace in our pocket.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2020, 12:16:59 am »

Oh tell me how it tastes, I will have the Pan-fried [Large Insect] steak, topped with a honey-[wheat-analog] crust, served with a red wine sauce, assorted [vegetables] and mashed potatoes, and vengeance on the ones who made your trip here necessary.  I was going to take care of it myself the same night, but I thought better of inserting myself in a political situation I do not understand. 

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2020, 12:58:14 am »

Nod-'n-smile to the server. "The pan-fried [large insect] steak, please."

"Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Thornton. I'll not ask compensation now for what I did last night-- I'm just glad the both of us survived it!-- but perhaps I'll ask a friendly favor of you one of these days. If ever I need it." (Smile.)

"Now. I'm not a killer by choice, Mr. Thornton, and I'm not one to seek vengeance-- I've only ever fought to protect myself and my own. Last night, I fought to protect a friend." (Nod to Emma.) "Still... perhaps you might explain to me what exactly I'd be doing, should I choose to aid you further with this problem of yours?"

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2020, 12:59:12 am »

"Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Thornton. I'll not ask compensation now for what I did last night-- I'm just glad the both of us survived it!-- but perhaps I'll ask a friendly favor of you one of these days. If ever I need it." (Smile.)

"Now. I'm not a killer by choice, Mr. Thornton, and I'm not one to seek vengeance-- I've only ever fought to protect myself and my own. Last night, I fought to protect a friend." (Nod to Emma.) "Still... perhaps you might explain to me what exactly I'd be doing, should I choose to aid you further with this problem of yours?"

+1 ignore mine

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2020, 01:30:39 am »

+1, but I would like to say "this problem of ours" rather than "yours" so that he knows we're on his side.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2020, 02:01:10 am »

+1, but I would like to say "this problem of ours" rather than "yours" so that he knows we're on his side.

Wel-l-l, the thing is... we're not on his side. We're on Emma's side. For now, anyway. It's a subtle but rather important distinction. The instant we call this "our" problem, we've as good as bound ourselves to it-- and that's something I'm reluctant to do until I know what we're getting into.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2020, 02:13:37 am »

Hmm.  I'll think it over.  I think we probably will need to deal with the rival warlord eventually, as he may be looking for the one who killed his men.  Having Thornton reinforcements and supplies would probably make the job easier.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2020, 02:17:36 am »

Fair. If we decide we're taking this job regardless of what Thornton Junior says, we might as well be assertive about it.

...is it silly that we're spending so much time over this one word?  :P

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2020, 02:20:00 am »

Probably.  I'm fine with "yours."  Better to look before we leap.  Hopefully he can keep his temper in check.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:21:37 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2020, 02:29:51 am »

We... should be OK? We're being respectful, we're asking for further information, we've done these people a great service, and this guy apparently considers us at very least interesting enough (hopefully) to be worth preserving.

This whole affair has me on edge, all the same. I don't trust this family at all.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:46 am »

"The pan-fried [large insect] steak, please." You order confidently. Emma orders the fish and William the roast. The server gives an awkward bow to your table, something you've never seen any server do, before rushing off inelegantly to take the order of William's men.

"Thank you for your generosity, Mr. Thornton. I'll not ask compensation now for what I did last night-- I'm just glad the both of us survived it!-- but perhaps I'll ask a friendly favor of you one of these days. If ever I need it." You smile at him, and his own smile twitches.

"You are Black Nicky's grandkid alright, she said the same thing. Almost word for word, too." He retorts.

"Now. I'm not a killer by choice, Mr. Thornton, and I'm not one to seek vengeance-- I've only ever fought to protect myself and my own. Last night, I fought to protect a friend." You tick your head to Emma as you speak. She looks a little deflated at that but smiles at you anyway. She's hunched over her mug, her eyes focusing on it as she squeezes her thumb with her other hand. There's nervousness in her body language. "Still... perhaps you might explain to me what exactly I'd be doing, should I choose to aid you further with this problem of yours?"

"Well, to be real honest with you, Pheobe, I don't honestly know." He drains his mug and leans forward, "My plan is incredibly complicated and needs to be rehearsed a day before the operation!" He claims, then laughs a hollow laugh, further explaining with a more serious look on his face. "I'm going to knock out that Ai-Ai turret of his and shoot the shit out of his compound from the hover-ship. Throw a few grenades, really fucking level the place. Loud. Noisy. Proves the point you don't mess with the Thornton family. I doubt he has any other real firepower to mess with us. The local gangs are pissing their pants after this afternoon, and the Crusader Squad in town is sitting nice and cozy by their fireplaces with their suitcase of money."

Then William poses a question, not directly to you, but aside to Emma, who responds only with a scowl. "Now where in that plan could I fit a firebrand of a girl with no real training and a talent for violence? Should I give her some vital task or just let her ride shotgun and shoot people? Or maybe I should throw her into the mouth of the [demon] and see what comes out?"

The server hurries to the kitchen. You can hear your orders being called out, and the sudden rush of activity from within. She returns, asking, quietly, "More drinks?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2020, 02:59:58 am »

"Perhaps a water, please."

"I have to ask... why me? It seems to me you've more than enough firepower to handle this task without the aid of one more pistollier!"

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2020, 03:09:37 am »

"Perhaps a water, please."

"I have to ask... why me? It seems to me you've more than enough firepower to handle this task without the aid of one more pistollier!"

+1.  I wonder if he actually has the intel to suggest that they have little in the way of firepower, or if he is just guessing.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2020, 03:52:04 am »

"Perhaps a water, please." The server looks bemused but nods her head; the confusion only deepens when Emma orders the same.

"Bring a bottle of something strong," William states, without looking at the girl.

William laughs at that, leaning back in his chair. "Everyone dies one day, Little Nicky. Your grandmother. My father. Now, do you know what happens when Old Nicky dies? Her choice of successor gets respected because she's one of those Grand Crusaders. Biology dictates you. Do you know what happens when my dad dies? I get bumped up. Emma too."

Finally, "Honestly? I want to see what you're made of. I want to see if I can respect you, or if I'm going to have to break my sister's heart and put a hole in you."

[20] Emma flinches, but her scowl only deepens. She pulls a las-pistol from her belt, setting it on the table with her hand on the trigger-guard. William's eyes go wide, and he laughs. "Damn, she really likes you, doesn't she?"

He seems genuinely proud of the response he receives from Emma, who, you notice now, is staring ice-cold daggers at her older brother. With a smooth motion, he sets his own pistol on the table, 'For Polly' glinting in the dim light of the restaurant. The server wisely hovers out of range, and even the soldiers take note. They don't intervene, looking between Emma and William before returning to their gaze to their posts, pointedly looking away from the situation.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:56:19 am by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 381