00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240387 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #1470 on: April 01, 2020, 08:12:00 pm »

We're nigh-certain of that-- Zachary quite possibly won't be. What are we gonna do if Zachary wants the hard evidence we don't have? We'd have to make something up, or evade the question... or back down, and give him the honest assessment of the situation we could've given him in first place.

"I... need your advice, Captain. And your help."

Speak low. "You recall that I gleaned from the relic of McCreary the nature of his death: he starved, sealed in iron by the servants of SEED. You recall the document given me by the Pontifex: a file for the eyes of the Crusaders' Council, describing how Emma Thornton is to be held hostage towards my good behavior. I am trapped by SEED, by the Crusaders-- by the Crusader General himself-- and I believe they intend to kill me in SEED's name once I am of no further use to them. You know this."

"You promised me once, Captain Zachary... that so long as you lived, so long as I stood a champion of the Great Work, you would allow no harm to come to me or my own. I've a plan to free myself from the Crusaders' noose forever, and to turn the tide of this war in so doing-- and I fear I must now ask you to fulfill that promise."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 01, 2020, 08:20:29 pm »

We're nigh-certain of that-- Zachary quite possibly won't be. What are we gonna do if Zachary wants the hard evidence we don't have? We'd have to make something up, or evade the question... or back down, and give him the honest assessment of the situation we could've given him in first place.

"I... need your advice, Captain. And your help."

Speak low. "You recall that I gleaned from the relic of McCreary the nature of his death: he starved, sealed in iron by the servants of SEED. You recall the document given me by the Pontifex: a file for the eyes of the Crusaders' Council, describing how Emma Thornton is to be held hostage towards my good behavior. I am trapped by SEED, by the Crusaders-- by the Crusader General himself-- and I believe they intend to kill me in SEED's name once I am of no further use to them. You know this."

"You promised me once, Captain Zachary... that so long as you lived, so long as I stood a champion of the Great Work, you would allow no harm to come to me or my own. I've a plan to free myself from the Crusaders' noose forever, and to turn the tide of this war in so doing-- and I fear I must now ask you to fulfill that promise."

Makes sense.  +1.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 01, 2020, 08:37:49 pm »

[9+1] Briefly uncomfortable, Zachary doesn't respond right away, but he comprehends what you're truly asking. He sits quietly, looking at you. With a slight frown, he gently counters with his question, "What do you intend to do about this, Mother Pheobe? And how will it help the people of SEED?"

"I made a vow to you, that's true, but my duty to the people of our nation comes first, above all else. The Pontifex has made several good points, but--" With a shake of his head, "Trading one inhuman entity for another doesn't seem to me what he had in mind."

"But at the end, what will change, should I, and perhaps the Pontifex, decide to help you?"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:40:55 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:15 pm »

Subtly send out some of our influence to help convince him.

"I have no intention of replacing SEED with me or any other inhuman entity.  As the armor of the [Angel] MacCreary told me, 'The Mind of a Machine must never come to rule over the Will of Mankind,' and I believe that extends further.  We can say that only mankind should determine the fate of mankind."

"Beyond that, what will change is the way this war is being waged.  Attrition warfare has been effective in the past, but the human loss of life associated with the strategy is horrifying.  This strategy comes directly from SEED and it has caused massive casualties.  We must fight in a way that values the lives of the brave men and women on the frontlines while also leading us to victory."

"I need your help to replace any generals that refuse this change in strategy, and I need your help to prevent them from killing me."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:51:57 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:33 pm »

"I have no intention of replacing SEED with me or any other inhuman entity.  As the armor of the [Angel] MacCreary told me, 'The Mind of a Machine must never come to rule over the Will of Mankind,' and I believe that extends further.  We can say that only mankind should determine the fate of mankind."

"Beyond that, what will change is the way this war is being waged.  Attrition warfare has been effective in the past, but the human loss of life associated with the strategy is horrifying.  This strategy comes directly from SEED and it has caused massive casualties.  We must fight in a way that values the lives of the brave men and women on the frontlines while also leading us to victory."

"I need your help to replace any generals that refuse this change in strategy, and I need your help to prevent them from killing me."

+1

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:09 pm »

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 01, 2020, 09:21:08 pm »

[10+1+1] "We expected this, Mother Alphira." Zachary shifts in his seat uncomfortably, and you feel a sudden force pushing you down into your seat as the ship begins to lift off. William and Emma steady themselves on the table, eventually slowly approaching the two of you. "Just not so soon. Our plans were for after the war, after you've made a name for yourself. A popular uprising.  A coup is difficult to contain. There will be generals and officers who will fight it. What is your excuse for killing them? Indeed, what is the [casus belli] for this shadowy war we're about to wage in the heart of our capital. What is your rallying cry?"

"I hope you don't mind the interruption," Emma claims, idly, and claims a seat in your lap. William sits next to you, and Zachary glances between the two of them without care, finally coming to rest his sight on you. A window shows the gold, silvers and grays of the Holy City begin to fade as you gain elevation. A patchwork of the outlying cities of seed, golden fields of grain, vineyards and other such works of man sprawl out after the ramshackle construction of the Suburbs.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:50 pm »

"SEED murdered the Angel McCreary.  SEED sent uncountable men and women to their early deaths without need.  SEED demands perfect obedience and spreads its lies through insidious propaganda.  SEED also desires to murder me, the Angel Alphira, but it won't get the chance.  To change the direction of the war and achieve victory, we must strike now."

"SEED is not interested in the well-being of its people.  It cares only for power.  And that is why SEED must be destroyed."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:34:05 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 01, 2020, 09:55:17 pm »

"Well hello." Grin. "We've been discussing what to do about SEED. Grim talk."

To Zachary now: "I understand that the timing is ill, Captain... but so too, I fear that by the time the greater war meets its end, SEED will already have struck against me. The longer we wait, the greater the risk-- and the more lives we lose to the obsolescence of SEED's war machine."

"You need a rationale, Captain? A rallying cry for the populace? I offer you this:"

"SEED murdered the Angel McCreary.  SEED sent uncountable men and women to their early deaths without need.  SEED demands perfect obedience and spreads its lies through insidious propaganda.  SEED also desires to murder me, the Angel Alphira, but it won't get the chance.  To change the direction of the war and achieve victory, we must strike now."

"SEED is not interested in the well-being of its people.  It cares only for power.  And that is why SEED must be destroyed."

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:00:40 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 01, 2020, 09:56:44 pm »

The current tactics being used is only feeding the creation of more [Demons].  The process seems to be sped up by the presence of humans to incorporate into the mass.  We need a change in tactics and we need to change the leadership to ones who will implement the new ones that are devised. 

That is the reason for this now instead of after a victory.  My presence isn't a sure thing, I can fail and I can fall without a real plan and backup.  I am sorry to lay this on you, but the way the war is going now, we will likely lose.

Something like this?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:14 pm »

"Well hello." Grin. "We've been discussing what to do about SEED. Grim talk."

To Zachary now: "I understand that the timing is ill, Captain... but so too, I fear that by the time the greater war meets its end, SEED will already have struck against me. The longer we wait, the greater the risk-- and the more lives we lose to the obsolescence of SEED's war machine."

"You need a rationale, Captain? A rallying cry for the populace? I offer you this:"

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 01, 2020, 10:36:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[1] Zachary looks confused, rubbing at his face, "This is the Pontifex's place. I'm a soldier, Pheobe. But...I don't know how to explain how wrong that is."

[-] Emma leans in, speaking softly, "The entire city-state is born into the religion of SEED, Pheobe. Every man, woman, and child is raised on the Holy Word-- besides the Families, of course." She relaxes more into the seat, looking over at Zachary, who seems more and more uncomfortable as he looks between the two of you. "Removing SEED entirely, would destroy our world, and plunge it into chaos."

[1] "I am...I am concerned by your views on SEED, Mother Alphira. It is as Emma says. It is the cornerstone of our civilization. Its what separates us from the beasts...its destruction is a step too far." Caution turns to a sudden blank-faced look, his concern, and hesitance gone all at once. William shifts a hand closer to his las-pistol, and Emma does the same.

[1] "Mother Alphira, if you'll excuse me." He stands and begins to walk away towards a door on the forward section of the ship-- and you sigh, relaxing. You probably spoke too harshly; you'll have to mak--

[12] Until William slowly rises, speaking loudly so that all four of you can hear him. "You do know the cockpit is that way, right, Pheobe?"

[20 vs. 19] Zachary freezes in place. His reaction to William's words speak volumes more than he does. His hand slips a las-pistol free from its holster. "The Pontifex was wrong about you, Pheobe. You are a demon. A beast that seeks to destroy everything that our people hold dear. Not to shepherd us into a golden age beneath a living SEED. You seek to destroy the Great Work for petty revenge for your former life." Zachary gives a dark look to William, who, in response, has also drawn his weapon, and throws a challenge to you instead, "Kill me yourself, Alphira. Don't send your attack dog to do it for you."

A fanatic betrayed by that he believed in. Paradise is a battle away.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:46:38 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 01, 2020, 10:45:11 pm »

Well, that's a wash.  Should have gone with VoidSlayer's suggestion I suppose.  It looks like one of our former schoolmates just earned a promotion.

Smother him with our will until we can get close, and then use the Cutter on him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:47:38 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 01, 2020, 10:52:24 pm »

Aw man, we needed this guy
...then again, I do have a thing with hydrogen I've been meaning to try. Maybe we don't have to kill him all the way?

Inferno. Hurl our will Zachary's way-- smother him with it-- pull the water out of his pistol-hand, and set it alight. Repeat as necessary with relevant extremities.

Once we've got the guy disarmed (possibly literally): "I seek to save the lives of countless thousands, Captain. You can aid me in this-- or perish with the [demons] that would tear them apart."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:06:10 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:37 pm »

Aw man, we needed this guy
...then again, I do have a thing with hydrogen I've been meaning to try. Maybe we don't have to kill him all the way?

Inferno. Hurl our will Zachary's way-- smother him with it-- pull the water out of his pistol-hand, and set it alight. Repeat as necessary with relevant extremities.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 381