00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 238977 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3885 on: May 26, 2020, 04:46:29 am »

We could start our own Manhattan Project and build nuclear weapons, I think we could build them even with the crappy tech we have right now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: May 26, 2020, 05:06:21 am »

One issue: if the plague manages to recover a nuclear weapon, could it use it on us? An orbital weapon wouldn't have that problem... as long as it remains in stable orbit. Plus, we can launch material at high speeds that aren't radioactive, so I *think* there won't be any fallout.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:14:35 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: May 26, 2020, 06:04:39 am »

Right now radiation is the least of our problems, do we actually know how much land the plague has control over, I mean there are no satellites so they could control most of the planet for all we know.

Also couldn't we put a timer on the bomb so even if they get it it still explodes?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:53 am »

What if the timer fails? Any bombs that we could cook up on this primitive planet would be unlikely to function perfectly. It would only take one misstep to find the fortress the target of a nuclear blast, perpetrated by the plague.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: May 26, 2020, 06:42:30 am »

I just thought of something if the plague can replicate the hovercraft things couldn't they just figure out something like a nuke on their own?

What about impact sensitive bombs that get dropped from planes, they can't replicate it if it blows up when it hits the ground.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: May 26, 2020, 06:48:58 am »

That sounds like it could work. It's worth looking into, but I'm still worried about a hovercraft crashing or something and the explosive surviving intact, or the impact sensitivity on the bombs occassionally being faulty.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: May 26, 2020, 07:02:26 am »

If they're smart enough to build the reproduce hovercraft I think they might be smart enough to figured out impact sensitive bombs.

Also if the bomb's a dud they might not be able to use it to make a working one.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: May 26, 2020, 07:08:35 am »

Those were hovercraft that they had captured intact. They're not currently capable of advancing technology, just using technology that they have acquired from us.

I'd rather not take the chance of them acquiring an unexploded bomb and potentially knowing how to use it. Let's take a look at how nuclear weapons have been used against the plague historically.

Historically, how effective were nuclear weapons against plagues, and have plagues ever captured and repurposed these weapons?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:32:00 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: May 26, 2020, 07:48:03 am »

Historically, how effective were nuclear weapons against plagues, and have plagues ever captured and repurposed these weapons?
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: May 26, 2020, 07:52:26 am »

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: May 26, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »

[-] Regis III of Sol was, from your brief analysis of a strange Tree-Like Organization of your line, a warrior from a cadet branch. One of the Kindred of the Rimward King. He fell in battle many years ago, during the Plague War. He was, however, recovered. He apparently had led the purge of nine-hundred and seventy-three planets of the Plague.

[-] As for the population having Plague cells -- it seems the entire human race is similarly affected. The dormant Plague is generally considered benign and is unfortunately impossible to cure. It doesn't seem to do much, besides cause minor, random skin irritation. A few more advanced cases have random, tiny tentacle style growth, but these are easily removed and fairly harmless.

[-] Nuclear weapons have a good track record against the Plague, as it cannot withstand the temperatures that are produced. Radiation and EMP generation also disrupt communication and organism health. You pause when you read about fusion weapons, interested in the concept.

[16] You split hydrogen from  water vapor from the air, keeping a tiny amount, only two atoms worth, contained in a small field of energy within your palm. With a twist of your will, you begin to push them hard into one another -- the air cackles with a sudden release of energy. A small electromagnetic force escapes, and an unfamiliar atom emerges from your willpower's grip. Apparently this is helium...?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:54:12 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: May 26, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »

Woah... we can achieve fusion with our bare hands? The plague won't know what hit it. We've got to train this somehow without turning this fortress into a radioactive wasteland.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: May 26, 2020, 08:39:21 pm »

Research what triggers a benign plague to become hostile, and how to avoid what those triggers are

So if everyone has a benign version, I’m curious what ways there are to keep it benign, and to figure that out, we need to figure out what makes it not benign, so we can avoid the plague growth triggers

Ninja’ dragon
Agreed, this is very useful, though to make better use of it, we’;l need to increase the scale, while at the same time not putting our people in danger

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:06 pm »

[-] Regis III of Sol was, from your brief analysis of a strange Tree-Like Organization of your line, a warrior from a cadet branch. One of the Kindred of the Rimward King. He fell in battle many years ago, during the Plague War. He was, however, recovered. He apparently had led the purge of nine-hundred and seventy-three planets of the Plague.
This seems familiar. Was this me or one of my siblings?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: May 26, 2020, 10:13:42 pm »

This seems familiar. Was this me or one of my siblings?

You know the answer to that question.

And, as an author's note: chemistry and physics has not been replaced in this setting. You control two elements. You fully control two elements. They're not the most useful elements in mixing them...

[-]Too many active Plague Nanites in an organism, usually as a result of rupture of the epidermis or direct infestation of the mucous membrane. Different strains have different levels of nanite per organism before 'spontaneous' Infection can occur. For the everyday Empyreal Citizen, this level is far above possible lifetime levels, thanks to the Endless Emperor's intervention.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:18:28 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 381