Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409349 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2175 on: August 04, 2022, 07:08:43 pm »

My thanks for the praise, Unraveller. I figured that going all in on the lore and descriptions was a good idea, since I'm a lot better at writing them than character-to-character dialogue and interactions; plus, I felt it was time the Abyssal Cult received a bit of fleshing out before the whole Realm of Silver story arc continued, since they're the BBEG behind the Blight. I did do my best to include a fair few call backs and extra details here and then, so it's good to hear you picked up on most all of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good luck with your pre-turn planning, Unraveller! (And with your turn itself - I get the feeling your adventurers might just need it in this new, darker age.) It's going to be interesting to see how the world continues to change, now that we're in a new era.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 04, 2022, 08:15:32 pm »

Sorry it took so long, the crash lost me 4 hours of progress (it was traveling, froze and then i was holding down movement and it crashes), then as i was finished, go to submit my submission and i had left it somewhere in a goblin fortress. So i changed my submission to a backup. Also saving and retiring take quite a bit now and the upload too just a heads up. Also we are inching closer to the file depot upload size cap.

Looking forward to catching up to everyones stories.

Submission - Emal Mostod (Sense of Shame) A perfect lapis lazuli gem - "Said to be one of the seven treasures this appears to be an acknowledgement of the donors shame and the first step towards enlightenment as the world sinks into twilight"

Sorry for the delay - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16027

Also put me back on the turn list please
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 08:27:12 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 04, 2022, 09:15:59 pm »

Huh. For the last five years, Galka has been a baron of the Walled Dye. Of Treatyseed no less! Perhaps he has been finding what information he can muster about those who've set their sights upon the Realm of Silver. The Attack on Silverthrone. . . Despite their seclusion, the dwarves know much, and there is deep history to Ilrallenod.
I've lost control of my life.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 05, 2022, 03:40:32 am »

Well, well, that is cool indeed. On a related note, it seems another Fallen Civilization has returned to life - The Page of Tiredness now has 79 dwarves and zero sites. The human civilizations and even the elves have been seeing a general population growth since the start of Avolition's turn, while The Most Sin seems to have lost just shy of a seventh of its goblin population.

Looking forward to your writeup on your turn, AvolitionBrit!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: August 05, 2022, 06:31:44 am »

I have not had time to read all the updates yet, but I've prepared a new population graph now that the Age of Twilight is upon us.
The impact on populations is not as bad as I expected :-p

That makes it Unraveller's turn!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 05, 2022, 08:16:22 am »

I've got the save. Now. . . Where on earth to begin?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 05, 2022, 04:41:18 pm »

Well, well, that is cool indeed. On a related note, it seems another Fallen Civilization has returned to life - The Page of Tiredness now has 79 dwarves and zero sites. The human civilizations and even the elves have been seeing a general population growth since the start of Avolition's turn, while The Most Sin seems to have lost just shy of a seventh of its goblin population.

Looks like the Page of Tiredness are now back to being a functioning civ again - they generated a king after randomly appearing at Northmanor, and it looks like that made them available to select in fort mode. Avolition made a fort on the very northern island and thats where the 79 dwarves now reside (the ones that the evil scorpion didn't drain of blood, anyway...)

Avolition Holyblood now has 13,000 notable kills, which is just mind-boggling.

Oh, and we now have a gremlin Baroness, Riraci Crazebaldness, several reptile men barons, and an elf baroness, Miaralei who I think was one of Maloy's companions? I am guessing the mad scorpions insurrection created some vacancies...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 05:03:16 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 05, 2022, 06:16:09 pm »

Mirailei became a baronness? Proud of her!

Here I had some specific forest retreat antics planned for her, but random world events have created a more interesting path

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 05, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »

Looks like the Page of Tiredness are now back to being a functioning civ again - they generated a king after randomly appearing at Northmanor, and it looks like that made them available to select in fort mode. Avolition made a fort on the very northern island and thats where the 79 dwarves now reside (the ones that the evil scorpion didn't drain of blood, anyway...)

Avolition Holyblood now has 13,000 notable kills, which is just mind-boggling.

Oh, and we now have a gremlin Baroness, Riraci Crazebaldness, several reptile men barons, and an elf baroness, Miaralei who I think was one of Maloy's companions? I am guessing the mad scorpions insurrection created some vacancies...
Well that's an amazing change since the last time I played. And it happened in less than a century? Also, Age of Twilight: mind blown.

Wonder if they're my reptile men and if they're immortal. And if they're named. And if they had children by now. Hmmmmmm. I know at some point they went buggy, kept dying of old age in abstract/vague numbers, then resurrected when someone got on site and died again (but that happened to other creatures I haven't interacted with, including dwarves). Hmmm.

I'm glad the thread is still active, I was refreshing it some weeks ago and saw no activity at some point. I was a little worried. I'm glad there's still time for games in these hectic periods. (But then, when haven't times been hectic?)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:40:57 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 05, 2022, 07:30:36 pm »

I fully intend to see Orid Xem to its death. Good to see you Lurker :)

I'm sure if you one day go back through the turns since you've last played, you'd have plenty to say!

---

Losing a ton of progress is just the name of the game these days. I've my cat to thank for invalidating my entire weekend haha.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:34:42 am by Unraveller »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: August 07, 2022, 01:16:09 pm »

Ah yes, uncountable fortresses have been lost to catsplosions, undead cat skin and rotting, syndrome spreading felines. This is the first time I hear about real life cats joining the fight though.

I hope you have more luck with the rest of your turn!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 07, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »

The cats are learning how to cause Fun outside the confines of the game. God help us all. :o

Still, best of luck with the rest of your turn, Unraveller!

snip
Good to see you again, Lurker :)

I checked LV, and all the Reptile Man barons seem to have originated from Newworld before becoming Barons/Baronesses c. 885; Baron Clobberdtin, Baroness Consort Canyondipped, and an Unnamed Baroness. The other Reptile Men from Newworld also gained names: Lashkeys, Paintdwells (Mayor of Newworld), Paddleduttered, Bustmuted (Expedition Leader of Newworld), and Lakestongs (Militia Commander of Newworld). While at least one pair has married and another two are confirmed lovers, I don't think any of them have produced any children yet, though there's still plenty of time for them to do so.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 07, 2022, 10:48:18 pm »

Turns out Jas Anthrad is a freakin' giant of a human. 16,000 Urists larger than the average. Not too shabby for the golden haired Law-giver eh?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 08, 2022, 04:40:12 pm »

TWILIGHT OVER OMON OBIN

Treatyseed. . . A mess rivaling the likes of the worst plagued towns of Omon Obin, long had it been the capital of the Walled Dye, and long had it suffered tragedies perhaps greater than our tarnished Silver. . .

Five years, in that time I have leveraged my wit and will for the sake of the Walled Dye, the apt-named 'Tower of Silence' for which I sat idle for the better part of a century seemed to have impressed the stout folk. The name Galka Kinddrummed the Tiled Periwinkle of Healing is known to them, and it is welcome in the Walled Dye. A baron, made they me. Steward of some fortress in the wilderness for a time, another quiet time to follow the storm that was my -- Our Band of Wax and their pitched battle against the Blight. I could not refuse the offer, I could not turn down the chance to access the deep knowledge of the Deep Peoples, Jas Anthrad, Law-Giver of the Realm of Silver was surrounded thence by wise advisors and deeply-rooted confidants, my presence was not wholly required it seemed.

This was the opportunity that presented itself to me and to our cause. For a hand far more malevolent than the relative trifles of the Obin Blight had revealed itself to us. Know this, those who would hear my words, Silverthrone besieged by the risen dead, caked yet still by the earth that buried them, and the Obin Bight with its crimson blistered thralls, only a fool would consider these happenings as disconnected. A foul miasma lingers in the air at the falling of the Golden Age, and rising of the Age of Twilight.

What is this shadow? This creeping black, this cloying murk that threatens to choke the life from us. . ?

I see now why a hume as I were chosen to administer a portion of their realm. . . Treatyseed stands in ruin, caked with gore, oozing with the blood of former noble houses. On the pretenses of ushering in the new Queen, Stukos Manortouches, myself and the other barons had been summoned to the capital, only when we'd arrived, naught but two things were made clear to us. This grisly scene, and perhaps worse yet, it's maker.

The remaining dwarves looked on to the milky-amber statue in disbelief, it was a visage they had come to know in more than mere whispers. The Autumnal Kingdoms, the season of death's herald. Where commeth the man twisted in scorpion's shape, ruin is soon to follow. Word on the wind speaks this as the reason that the greenskins hordes have been quiet. Could this be the call for the Walled Dye's turn? Or perhaps something else is at play. . . Yet, hobbled there on one crutch, mine useless legs dangling as ever whilst looking upon the figure's likeness, I cannot help but feel a strange kinship. Men that have become abominable for their selfless goals. This being, they are not the one who has brought the Blight upon the world, nor responsible for the attack on the Realm of Silver, this I feel in my bones to be true. What relation they have to our hidden enemy. . . I cannot say.

'The Queen has fled to Ancientknowledge. . .'

I hear midst the doldrums.

'. . . We'd be wise to follow suit.'

Spoke another. Ancientknowledge, ever since I'd heard the name I sought to visit, to uncover the vaults of what the Dwarves may know. This seemed as good a reason as any. I made haste, quitting behind me Treatyseed, leaving the rest of the barons to what fate awaits them there. In truth, the nuances of Dwarven nobility matter not to me, I've only one mother land, and one true lord. Without delay, I set off. Called to action, uncontent to mill about at the speed of the Dwarf.

It was not long at all that, that history of the earthen-folk came to greet me. Far from my destination of Ancientknowledge, I'd found myself at the doorstep to yet another ruin midst the Perfect Horns. Perhaps no more than two-hundred years old now, yet still abandoned. Crownhalls, the City of Stone -- I ambled down into the main chamber, its immensity shook me to the heights of Dwarven masonry. A mere scribbling of mine cannot do it justice, I implore you one day visit this lonesome place and share in mine awe. For what purpose could its founders have left it to rot before a new leader of the Walled Dye was inaugurated there, I cannot say, however, it too stored knowledge. With purposeful movements, I perused the collections of its many works. Some bore the marks of great age, while others betrayed the presence of life here more recently, perhaps vagrants, perhaps the forgotten capital was not abandoned as long ago as I suspected.

My cold, pale hands caressed the codices from shelf to shelf, titles bearing words of Dwarven anatomy, their dry history, and the like, yet I do stop at one bound book, The Mystery of the Mountain Halls. It's lengthy prose captures my imaginations, folk lore of metals that gleam beyond the hue of Dwarven Steel, elusive as it is, and their methods of extraction. Fiction perhaps, but it is with such great gusto that the author writes. . . Then the next stack of tomes, these have been placed here, almost purposefully it felt. . . Concerning Rebirth, Loss and Beyond, Reflections and Errors of the Tower. . . My cursed eyes avert themselves instinctively, knowing what shadow they possess. It is unnerving, there in that great hollow hall, that knowledge of life and death lurks in these forgotten places. What I have learned without succombing to that shade is this; Mortal men have chosen this path, mortal men have beset chaos upon Orid Xem, and mortal men may be killed.

My journey was far from over, weeks had past as I traveled this countryside, while unravaged by ghoulifying plagues, these lands were yet bereft of vibrancy and life. In days long past great wars were fought here, and now all of that bloodshed was for naught.  As autumn turns to winter, another ruin reveals itself to my tired, sunken eyes. 'Relicwards' spoke the runic doorway. Nearly I had passed by, close to my destination as I was, yet staring into the darkness of fortress from snow blanketed fields, something yearned for my presence beyond. A great draft blew up from the innards of the fortress, it was a constant yawning of dry, hot air. The vacuum left where it had battled with the bitter cold had simply sucked me right in.

The iconography of death littered the remains of this once great place, practically built in the shape of flesh-stripped skull. Yet I was not turned, the pulling sensation kept me moving deeper and deeper still. Down countless stairways carven of the earth to an ominous twinkle.

A strange shaft gouting warm air, its walls glittering with an almost translucent blue ore, climbing down onto one rocky outcropping, I rubbed my eyes to be sure. And there it was yet still, hot to the touch, real as the pages on the tome I'd read in Crownhalls. Adamantine, possessing now both the knowledge to process it and all the time this vitality drained corpse of a body has in the world, my pickaxe couldn't help but vibrate in my hands. Without delay I struck the steel deep into mystic material, scattering ore and rock abounds -- I could not stop, no, I lost myself in old memories long thought pushed down to the bottom of my heart.

There and then I was back, returned to the Deferent Abyss, hacking away at rubble, a pickaxe in my hand, slight of body, young of face. And surrounded by rowdy miners each and all dear to me, the only family I'd ever known. So too there was Bekdil Wavetwist, but it was not a sorrowful vision, for I had long overthrown that burden. Her soothing words and welcoming visage were all that I heard and saw, along with the clank of metal against rock.

Before I'd known it, I had hauled the raw cyan ore up to the workshop level of the abandoned fort. Set it before the tables and again began to read the tome I'd stolen away from Crownhalls, and began to work. There in that place, I had nearly forgotten my thirst, and without the rays of the sun to guide me, I'd lost all count of time. Certainly weeks rolled by in that ruin, all my will was bent upon the glorious adamantine, and for a novice craftsman, the process was agonizingly slow. All the while I felt a strange beating in my chest, one that I had not since I'd accidentally supped upon Uja Hoodbath's tainted blood.

Lo' the culmination of my efforts, weaved of the thinnest strands of adamant metals, Iral Obin, Cloak of Silver, that which will protect the law-givers of my homeland until time immemorial. Yet. . . There was more metals left unrecovered, I returned. Mined. Hauled. Extracted, again and again. The yearning portal growing ever larger as it's walls crumbled. Time continued to pass there in Relicward, cloaks for the Band of Wax were made, a new head for my pick to hasten the process, arms and armor and the like all came to fruition. Once more, for what I intended to be the final trip down those spiralling stairs, past the magma seas, the earth had crumbled 'neath my feet. Orid Xem had swallowed me whole for my greed, I fell in to the abyss below. . .

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: August 08, 2022, 04:45:42 pm »

Your sigtext seems very appropriate here.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 263