Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409418 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2385 on: October 21, 2022, 11:15:53 am »

I think (and this is just my theory) that the one who follows to a position of power, is based on social skills. We see it in mayors in dwarf fortresses, there's no reason why this isn't code for everyone else ascending. Such as, say, these skills (taken from Kanil Xemisdi, as I randomly had her tab open in LV):

Code: [Select]
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Flatterer
Legendary Intimidator
Legendary Liar
Legendary Consoler
Legendary Judge of intent
Legendary Pacifier
Legendary Negotiator
Legendary Writer
Proficient Schemer
Competent Dancer
So, look at who has the highest social and they may just have a better chance to rule.

Lurker Onecbehal will probably turn in his grave (if he is even buried anywhere) if Irka, another plague worshiper, gets the throne.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 21, 2022, 11:41:08 am »

On that note, I seem to remember seeing Lurker wandering around as a risen corpse at some point in Swordgleamed, but no idea what became of them from there.

Certainly setting up some great division in the realm of silver. Looks like Jas' legacy could be toppled by his son. I wonder what the old timer thinks of it all. Will Jas adventure again?

If so will his son  usurp him during his travels? Wonder which religion in the realm of silver has the greatest hold within the people.

Being nearly in his eighters now, I have a feeling that Jas' glory days are behind him, a humble steward to the realm now especially that the Band of Wax' members have mostly passed on in old age. Honored they may be.

Of course, Galka yet remains, the cursed man that he is. Though injuries at present have left him incable of grasping and walking, perhaps at least he can guide the heirs to Omon Obin, to let the Realm falter into decay after all the blood, sweat, and tears they poured into it would be anathema. Perhaps I will run a duology of sorts between the two siblings.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:55:07 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 21, 2022, 12:25:41 pm »

I'm away but when I'm back il dig through the save and see if I can find Lurker maybe my next turn Avolition revives him. I recall looking before but it was quite tricky.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 22, 2022, 11:28:49 am »

"Moldath IV", Part II, Turn 91

The Chronicle of the Blind Sadist, Volume IV, Part II

28th Granite 899

Streammartyred, a wretched hive of scum and villainy, and a place I have visited before. It is famous for its bandits. Decades ago I slew scores of them, and handed control back to the local militia. The skeletons of that adventure still line the streets, among some fresher corpses.
When I arrive at the keep, it is clear that this place too has been cleansed by Jas Gloryage. Throngs of priests and an indignant lady remain loyal to the Realm of Silver, and boast of refugees fleeing from Arstruk Cruelgriffon, a goblin warlord slain by Gloryage.

1st Slate 899

A days travel south west from the bandit stronghold, among many densely packed hamlets, is Chucktrades. The smell of death on the air betrays the sign of recent ghoul activity. Two ghouls are tearing apart a goblin priest at the ransacked keep as I arrive at dusk. They are quickly put down. Many corpses litter the grounds outside. I find the corpse of Ezif Bluewave, who I recognise from many years ago. He was an adventurer, and necromancer, from whom I received a slab at the tower of Glazedriven. Gesturing with my hand I raise him as a Fell One, and he immediately runs off into the distance babbling about Twilightmolten, an artifact crossbow taken from him by the zealous Galka Kinddrummed and his Band of Wax.

2nd Slate 899

Continuing my journey to discover how the world has changed in my absence, I head further south. I arrive at the great city of Scarletbronze... epicentre of the infamous Weremammoth outbreak. I have not been here in many years, and not since the humans tried to retake this land. I have heard tales of the Band of Wax and their taking the trunks of weremammoths as grisly trophies. Despite scouring this place for several hours, I find only three weremammoth fell ones, all of whom are put to the sword. The keep has been taken over by an Abbot, who assures me things are under control. Curiously, outside the keep, site of many battles, I spot a horse corpse and raise it into undeath. Championtramples, a fine steed. A weatherworn frayed bridle hanging from the zombie horses mouth bears the inscription "Property of Rovod Clasharch" whoever that might be. This undying charger will bear me on my journey.

Leaving the city, I soon find myseld in the castle of Sensestopped. I am surprised to find a huge troll Captain, Borik, who rules this place. He is  mute and eyes me suspiciously. He is hoarding artifacts crafted by the adventurer Donas Silenttowers. This human was of Omon Obin, and famous for being the first in many centuries to brave Keyconjure where he is rumoured to have slain the last dragon of Orid Xem and plundered many treasures of the long-dead Morul Kan. I slaughter the foul troll beast where he stands.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3rd Slate 899

I continue south for many hours, as the sun settles low in the west, and find myself at the entrance of a cave, The Deferent Abyss.
Deep in the quiet heart of the cave, I find the corpses of several humans who have died of old age in the deeps here, and strangely the mangled skeleton of Bekdil Wavetwist. This name is familiar somehow. I am ambushed by a huge blind cave bear. Its hide will make a nice cloak or backpack.
There is no great treasure here. I have no idea why humans scrabble in the dim caverns beneath the world - they are clearly unsuited to the life of the deepfolk. It does things to their minds, as Bekdil Wavetwist will attest.

4th Slate 899

In Stabbedechoed, we are attacked by magical beings of rock and flame - magma crabs! Why these strange things stalk the surface world I will never know. The zombie horse has its flesh burned off by a blast of magma, and then runs, flaming, after a terrified human merchant.
When it finally trots back to me, it is caked in the blood of several creatures.

We press on, finding a bandit castle brimming with human soldiers. I vanish from sight, and their screams fill the air as Godenrigoth is sated.

5th Slate 899

Strifefularmor appears on the horizon at dawn. The place is eerily silent, and the full moon is high in the cloudless sky. Just northeast of the keep outside the city walls lies the inn The Lines of Silver, from where I hear the unnatural howl of a werebeast! Could this be a mammoth escaped from Scarletbronze? Entering the inn I find myseld standing before Strodno Mirroredlies the Mahogany - a goblin chieftess pikemaster, twisted into the shape of an enormous moose monster. Its eyes glow scarlet! The great moose bellows and lunges at me, as I deftly hack its hand off with Godenrigoth. I laugh, relishing a real combat challenge. Strapping the sword to my back I start punching and kicking the enormous brute and eventually smash its skull into oblivion. I stow its huge corpse in my pack.

The monastery just to the east turns out to be the hideout of a troll bandit captain. I retrieve a spectacular clear diamond slicing knife from his corpse - it is masterfully crafted and encrusted with gold cabachons. I bestow upon it the name Starblade the Fatal Whisper.

I travekl along the road eastwards towards mighty Partnerdaub, another city I visited long ago. The undead horse is increasingly making the locals nervous. One archer looks nervous as a copper bolt strikes the horse in the liver. I decide to tie the beast up outside town.

I meet Baron Cemir Fountaindesk, who has aged considerably since last I visited this place. He tells me of bone chilling horror in the fort of Sculptedshovel, a short journey to the east. Outisde the city walls are sprawling shops and humans going about their business. I spot a goblin warlord casually talking to a human axeman... the fool, fraternising with the enemy! I have no choice but to stun the naive human and jam my diamond dagger into the foul goblins skull.

In the temple to the northwest of the city is a curious sight - a troll who claims to be a priest. Keth Slidbristles. I dont abide by his insolence.

6th Slate 899

I visit the fort of Sculptedshovel, and find only corpses. I ressurect and inspect them, seeing they were slain by a being known as a Lonelythrall many years ago... regardless, there is no chilling horror here and I press on.

Far to the south is a familiar place - The Tower of Silence. The first dwarven fort on this world that I visited, over 90 years ago. I am attacked by a crazed hammerer, and have to choke him unconscious to avoid bloodshed. I may be sadistic but I draw the line at killing innocent fellow dwarves. What has happened here since last I visited? At the fort entrance there are many great statues of Dwarves, by a band known as Wavetwist... Wavetwist? Bekdil Wavetwist? Surely not a coincidence. I great the captain of the guard and he rushes off in fear... why do the dwarves here fear me? Is it because I tried to slay a werebeast here decades ago?

Inside I find some well appointed rooms and workshops, just as I remember. I tan some blind cave bear hides and make some garments, and find some masterwork gold bookbinings for the quires I made for Kodor.

Heading downwards into the great library I hear an odd sloshing sound... the forgotten beast Cetha has come! An enormous humanoid comnposed of water, with a bizarre spiral shell. It lurches towards me, and I punch it in the gut. It immediately explodes in a shower of fetid water. Disgusting. Still, I can't help but drink the watery corpse of the ancient beast, perhaps consuming some of its ancient essence.

Atop the great tower is a strange sight. An ancient pitted bronze sword and a pile of objects crafted of human remains. This blade has the blood of Bekdil Wavetwist smeared upon it, slain by Galka Kinddrummed! There is an amulet formed from a lock of hair... the hair of Bekdil Wavetwist? Whatever tragedy ocurred between Galka and Bekdil obviously tore a great wound in his heart. This fort was important to him, and bore her name. It is where I first met the amiable crippled human all those years ago, now the chamberlain of the Realm of Silver, and a guiding hand of the bloodthirsty zealout Gloryage. At the summit I place Bekdil's corpse which I retrived from that dingy cave, and the sword... Galka's shame. The locket... perhaps I will keep, and return it to Galka should our paths cross again.

I head southwest, to Deepvaulted. The place is still abandoned and overrun with wildlife. I descend the central staircase, engulfed in smoke. I am amused to find the flaming cat corpse still burns here, 92 years later. I continue my journey, heading northwest.

8th Slate 899

Falsetower is a haven of necromancy and depravity, a favoured haunt of the evil scorpion. Risen corpses stalk the land, and many hoarded books are scattered. I count several dwarf necromancer scholars, and encounter one human necromancer hollow stalker - I decide to put him out of his misery. As my dagger cleaves his skull, he gestures, and the corpse of the goblin pikemaster weremoose in my pack scrambles to life, and runs off at pace! I try to find the damned creature to no avail! He must have run off. I put down some shambling troglodytes, and in the catacombs and caves beneath the fortress I find some familiar treasures - weapons thieved by the scorpion, including Empirebolted the immaculate adamantine spear from Ashcinders.

10th Slate 899

To the mountains of the west, is an ancient fort. Keyconjure - seat of Morul Kan until it was destroyed by a terrible dragon eight centuries ago. I find some Adilatir dwarves here who are uninterested in talk. Mercenaries come to pick clean the treasure not already looted by Donas? I scour the twisting corridors until I find the ancient remains of the dragon. It looks to have been plundered by many adventurers int he past, but its great skull and many bones remain.

A short distance north, in Ashcinders, I forge the dragons skull into a crown, and encrust it with adamantine from the vampire I slew in the Realm of Silver. It is breathtakingly beautiful. I spend a day in the forges detailing my equipment with steel and electrum, and marvelling at the unique dragon crown. The only one in existence, since dragons are now extinct.

11th Slate 899

I travel north for many hours, seeing nary a soul, until suddenly I come across a great bird composed of feathers... a roc? The shadow of a roc at any rate. A short distance away is a human lord, his body a mess of scars. I recognise the axe he wields as my own!
I trade this thief many gems and trinkets but he refuses to return my axe. Sadly, I must take it from him by force.

13th Slate 899

I travel north for two days, across the tundra to the goblin citadel of Stealmountain. I slay every goblin I can find, and descend the tower into hell. There are fresh demons to slay, of types I have not seen before.

Black Fiend - a hideous gigantic scaly fire-breathing opossum.
Specter of Soot - a great tarantula with wings of ash, beware its poisonous bite.
Elephant Fiend - enormous black-haired creatures with elephantine heads. Its mouth froths with deadly spittle.

Leech Fiend - a great hairy leech with deadly blood. Its cardinal hair is long and straight.
Hummingbird Demon - a towering eyeless hummingbird, crowned with three spiral horns. Its lemon feathers are long and narrow. Beware its noxious secretions!
Weasel demon - a deformed beast with the head of a weasel, spraying thick gouts of webbing. Nasty.

A lucky black fiend unbalances me, and I am caught in a burst of unnatural flame. The hellscape billows with smoke as the flesh is melted away from my right lower leg.

By my count, I slay three score demons in the hot ashes of hell before I run out of fiends to fight. I begin my ascent back through the slade spire under Stealmountain, my pack bulging with demon hides. A few straggling goblins are cut down as I head north out of the Dark Fortress.

15th Slate 899

I travel north, heading in the rough direction of Spicetrails - Kodor was right; if that nasty human had stolen my axe, Ala knows what else they might have plundered. I arrive in the town of Growlsuppers, and in the keep I find what is becoming thankfully a rare sight - a blighted thrall goblin Lord flanked by a heavily scarred slavering human Head Doctor of The Creamy Confederacy, Jasmuk Shakenlisten. All hell breaks loose, and I am left with no choice but to slaugter them all and let Ala sort them out. A goblin with an unnatural vigor, Tamed Bluntstill leaps at me. Vampire blood stains Godenrigoth, and the thralls are put down.

In the nearby village, I bump into an enormous muscular moose-man Lord necromancer, and his knife collection. He has two great swords caked in goblin gore. I sense a kindred spirit! He is Jamas Twistedscar the God-forsaken, and he apparently does not like goblins. A sentiment that I heartily share.

In Lawtaker, I find the old wily scorpion. I give him his hand that I stole from the elf chieftess decades ago. I never did find out how she came to have it. I also give him a copper hammer that he used to kill many goblins. We may not see eye to eye, but I respect him as a fellow warrior, and I am forbidden from harming him by the Code of the Museum.

18th Slate 899

I arrive at Secrethome, a new Dwarven fort. Sadly I find it unfinished and deserted. No trace remains of the dwarves who called this place home. I turn westwards, and head towards Treatyseed.

24th Slate 899

The long journey is uneventful. Treatyseed, capital of Adilatir, and home to many ghoul incursions. I find one blighted thrall wrestler lurking outside and quickly put him down before things get out of hand. Curiously, to the southwest of the fortress are two metal pikes, with skeletal remains skewered on them. One contains the remains of Midas Squarewheel, previously Baron of the Walled Dye and the human responsible for the horrible gremlin infestation. Someone has taken a dislike to him... I see scorpion claw marks on his bones. That evil scorpion has been here, killing the nobility. A coup! The second bronze pike has the sun bleached remains of Rovod Inkarrows, another Baroness slaughtered by the scorpion.

Inside the fortress, skeletal remains and corpses are strewn everywhere. I try to tidy things up a bit. Of the current monarch, there is no sign. I am told of a coup some years back, and that the usurper queen is a necromancer who has taken to ruling from Ancientknowledge! That cursed place! I must right this wrong. I continue my journey, stumbling into an abandoned camp. The boss, a refugee called Dodok Showeredfortress says this place was to be known as Urnways, but it was abandoned quickly.

South west is a place I have visited before - Ironwards. The scorched plain, river of lava and scores of mangled goblin and human corpses tell me I have arrived at this once war-like citadel. I pile the corpses of the dead of Treatyseed on the lava moat bridge and consign them to the blood of the earth.

28th Slate 899

Confusedship is an abandoned dwarf fortress, though curiously has trenches outside its main gates. Could there be goblins here? Wandering at the trade depot are two blighted thrall goblins - a chamberlain and chief executioner? Exiles from some goblin civilisation? I find three goblin thralls in all, and the fort is otherwise in ruin.

1st Felsite 899

I travel north, into the territory of the High Confederacies. The villages here are densely packed, and I do encounter a handful of thralls. Despite the efforts of the humans to clear this menace, it is suprisingly hard to route out all of the ghouls.
In Embracedvices I arrive am just in time to slay the Sacred Gold blighted thrall who is attempting to murder a hammerman. As his head leaves his shoulders, the hammerman becomes the new Sacred Gold, and I notice that the ghoul has torn her tongue from her head...

I continue north and arrive at the ancient city of Divedact. Inside the sprawling tower is a curious sight - a necromancer corpse on a pedestal flanked by artifacts and weapons. Artha Peacefulsong is raised into unlife as a Fell One, and gathers her belongings.

In Metalspread I meet a familiar face - the Witch Hunter Kothvir Shadowstar. I remember him bringing me the slab Stabbedwring many years ago. He tells me the lands of the High Confederacies are much safer now that the ghouls have been more or less purged. I continue northwards, and in Padcalls, I find a crippled lord, Juvar Scarsong, but little else of note.

3rd Felsite 899

The only inhabitant of the village of Wreathcrafts is a bobcat, called Aweme Glendye. It sleeps in the keep alone, pining for a lost master. It does not wish to accompany me. Its owner is seemingly an elf, going by the convention of his name, and no elves are found nearby. I leave the depressed cat to his solitary life.

In Incensorder, a famous town with a storied history, I find a motley crew of elves, humans, a goblin and a kobold. One of the elves introduces herself as the Baroness of Confusedship, Miaralei Shakenfurs. I wonder if she has mislaid a bobcat... In the tower is a wolf man lord, Maly Craftsoars, who's fur has greyed since last I met him in Boltspumpkin. He shares this tower with Jasmuk Styletrail, Holy Gleam of the Fatal Cult - an old religion of Sut the Tomb of Quests, seeing a resurgence thanks to the actions of Kothvir Shadowstar. Trophies adorn the back of the wall, in remembrance of the charcoal brute Pis Meadowshaft and the first death of King Bralbaard, nearly two centuries ago. Maloy is still worried about the High Confederacies taking Incenseorder back from the Impervious Wall but I remind him that Dubmith Appearedtrail died a hundred years ago.

4th Felsite 899

The fort of Shipwheeled stands as a sentinel in the Jungle of Harvesters of the far north west of Orid Xem, and it is infested with blighted thralls. A half dozen are cut down. Travelling through the night I stumble upon a creature of the night feasting on a dismembered wolverine. I bite him in the lower body and tear out his spine.

5th Felsite 899

At the edge of the water to the east, I encounter a strange bird creature - an albatross man recruit. He flies away in fear as I approach. With a flick of my wrist he is paralysed and falls from the sky with a sickening crunch. I swim east towards a familiar island... where Ancientlibrary, place of my torture and incarceration lies. The island is thickly forested. As I approach the entrance I am greeted by a scholar necromancer. Inside the fort swarms with barons, consorts and counts. Necromancer scholars seem to outnumber even them. This is the seat of the evil scorpion's power! Strangely the Queen is more interested in her library and her ancient books than ruling the Walled Dye. This is not her capital, that remains Treatyseed. But why does she linger here? The barons eye me suspiciously, and I make my retreat.

I will finally head towards Northmanor as Kodor beseeched me. Travelling east I find myself once more in the lands of Mong Uthros, birthplace of Ala. This place is like a second home to me after I found my faith, and is largely free of the taint of thralldom. I encounter a bandit castle, and several night creatures stalk the land under the pale moon. All are slaughtered.

9th Felsite 899

In the abandoned monastery of Luckygriffons, I find something I thought had been lost. The slab, Frothbone. Ala's bony visage smiles upon me.

I will return this to Releaseteachers, to the new Holy Raunch. The last owner, Lubbe Cleardrank was murdered by the power-mad scorpion. Finally, Uklasut is back in the hands of the Coven of Frothing.

I travel east, visiting many small hamlets. The refugee camps around Atticmuffins have not lessened any since last I walked these lands.

In the village of Breadpalm, I meet a strange elf, who claims to be a prophet of Ala. He argues the poor value of knowledge, strange for a prophet, and something which I cannot agree with. He tells me there is a nomadic group of goblin bandits and elves to the east in a town called Pleatedhorse lead by a former apprentice of his and who claim to worship Ala as he does. I will cleanse these heretics.

As I arrive at the town, all hell breaks loose. The goblins and elves start attacking each other. There are mercenaries, priests, monster hunters, and criminals all tangled together. They all claim to be members of The Communion of Parity, worshippers of Ala. Time slows down as scores of goblins and elves slaughter each other. Grinning, I pull out a spear and hammer and join them, revelling in the sadistic slaughter. Ala will be pleased! Eventually, I am ground to a halt as all the bandits try to leave through the same tiny door. I cut my losses and head towards Northmanor.

13th Felsite 899

Arriving finally at Northmanor I see a tower reaching skywards from a moat of magma, and many tame warbears prowl the base of the spire. I meet the fabled King of the Page of Tiredness, Atir Lobsterseals. He who returned from the mists of time to rally the dwarves! I gift him the crown forged from the bones of the dragon that slaughtered his kin many centuries ago. Upon it is bestowed the name Dragonbane the Crown of Dreams. I give him also an artifact iron mace, Tarnishclenches, a relic of ancient Keyconjures. This mace was left by an unknown interloper in Spicetrails. The King tells me of a new fort on an island to the north, a new home for his kin come out from centuries in hiding. I will explore this place.

I pause in the library to speak to the necromancer Kodor warned me of. I listen to his tale. I laugh at his strange theory and point out how wrong he is. It is not Shedimostar that eludes me, as the power to raise Dark Ones has long lived in me. The secret that I seek is that of Cog Wildneswork. Ironically, I struck down Cog's risen headless corpse many decades ago and with him any chance of unlocking the 12th Secret. The necromancer composes himself, and ensures me the Cult of Dishmab will not rest until the 12th Secret is uncovered. I suggest to the scholar that they might focus their efforts in the lands between Glazedriven and Palacework, where the dwarf Shieldtempests fell.

Taking my leave, I climb up the tower like Kodor asked. He said there was a gift for me, one of the few remaining monsters in this world, and a place for me to live, and keep my treasures. Above the library and tavern I find a huge steel cage behind a steel grate. Within is an enormous rotting two headed ettin, its skin putrid. This is Zoku Knightedsheen the Sensual Silk-Call, menace of The Walled Dye, who slew many at Falsetower. Who ended a forgotten beast in Northmanor. Who was responsible for striking down Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning, Dark One King of the Dwarves.
He is no match for the Blind Sadist.

I pull the first lever and the beast is unleashed from his cage, and with the pulling of the second, the steel bars groan and the huge beast lumbers towards me. Zoku points a rotten finger at me and immediately I am thrown off my feet by his death magic. Saved by my dwarven armour, I leap at him with Godenrigoth, bisecting him in a single strike. I harvest his twin skulls and throw his putrid corpse into the magma.

I find the quarters the Cult of Ramparts have made for me and lay out my treasure. I tan the demon skins from hell and make an elephant fiend leather backpack. Finally, I pack the twin skulls of the undead ettin and the iron breastplate he used to kill many dwarves.

14th Felsite 899

Mounting a great war grizzly, I head north east, to the coast. Swimming for many hours, we reach the Island of Animals where I slew some gremlins many years ago. We encounter a giant hamster, and the grizzly bear takes a swipe to its leg. It recoils in terror. Even after the hamster is dead, the bear cowers on the ground in fear and refuses to move. I move on without her and am ambushed by some black bear men tribespeople. They are naked and unarmed, and are quickly dealt with.

As I head north to the coast of the island, I encounter a group of Dingo Men, lead by a muscular dingo man Lord. How strange. He seems to have no name, but he recognises the evil scorpion as his law-giver. Somehow, I think the scorpion has his pincers in this.. mobilising an army of dingo men?

Swimming for most of a day, I arrive at The Romantic Island. The southern mass is dominated by a huge and sprawling fort, with clearcutting of the forest. This must be Crystalworship the Temple of Vultures. No wonder we had not heard of Morul Kan for so long, their outpost being on such a distant island, shrouded in mist. I find yet more evidence of the scorpions work. A snail man "lord" hefting an iron pick, and corpses of giant wildlife smeared in bark scorpion venom.

Entering the fort itself is challenging. It covers such a vast area that finding the entrance is gruelling, time slowing down to a standstill.

Eventually I find a modest tower and a small underground entranceway, leading to a massive engraved hall with generous bedrooms. I see conclusive evidence that the scorpion has been here - a detailed wall showing the Axe of Shade, an image of Nightmares. This is the symbol of Morul Kan... the Page of Tiredness has sleep imagery in their emblem it seems.

I scour the fort but find no great beasts to slay. Why is the scorpion interested in this place, and why is he mobilising an army of animal bannerlords? This is deeply troubling. This and the false necromancer queen sequestered in her Ancientlibrary. I will put a stop to this.

17th Felsite 899

I complete the long swim back to the mainland, having fully explored the Romantic Island. I know what I must do - I must put a stop the false usurper Queen. I must head back to Ancientlibrary.

20th Felsite 899

On the northern end of the Island of Moistening, I encounter a small camp, with a goblin axeman and a single dwarf. I drain the goblin of blood, and inspect the dwarf, a manager. He is heavily wounded, with large parts of his body rotting. I suspect he has been in a fight with a magic wielder.
When I wake the dwarf, he treats me as an enemy despite me clearly rescuing him from this goblin! Out of nowhere the cowardly bear I left behind on the Island of Animals returns, and starts attacking the dwarf... I manage to pull the bear from the dwarf, but not before he has sustained grave injuries. This is Libash Tomekindles, and I recognise him as a manager from Free the Eggs. I cannot fathom why he is way out here on the Island of Moistening and consorting with goblins!

7th Hematite 899

Three weeks have passed since I returned to Ancientlibrary. I have spent the time reading the books of this place, and ingratiating myself with the queen. I implore her to denounce the scorpions plots, and stay here in her library with her books. The dwarves of Adilatir deserve better.
One morning, she looks me straight in the eye and asks me if I would be king. Me! The Blind Sadist. Naturally, I accept.

I leave this place to the scholars and sniveling barons, hopefully never to return. I will head back to Boltspumpkin and to the Museum, one last time. I gather some favoured nickel silver bars and some precious fire opals... I have a plan. It is not long before I arrive at Relicward. This long abandoned fortress is becoming over-run by wildlife. Giant squirrels prance away skittishly when I approach. Swimming under the moat, I am attacked by an alligator. It gets a nickel silver bar in its brain for its trouble.

Within the grand abandoned forgehalls of Relicward I craft a nickel silver crown of exceptional quality... my favoured metal. I encrust upon it some fine emerald cut fire opals. This will be my kingly crown. Anilvir Adilatir - Glorystar the Walled Dye.

10th Hematite 899

The journey south is uneventful and I arrive at the familiar castle of Boltspumpkin after a few days travel. I submit to the Museum the iron breastplate of the Ettin Zoku and the foul beast's two skulls. The last of his kind, and responsible for one of the many deaths of Bralbaard Hammerfishes, Dark One king of Adilatir.

As the moon shines in the sky I leave headed north again for Crownhall, that great royal palace from where I shall spend the rest of my days as King. The great fort is strangely quiet. I slaughter a few goblin treasure hunters, and ressurect the defenders as I find them. Curiously I find a dwarf werebeast militia commander, who protests his innocence as he is slain.

Finally, I sit upon my new throne and place upon my brow Glorystar the Walled Dye. The Blind Sadist sits quietly on the dwarven throne. Is this the last the world will see of Moldath Mournsaints the Ardent?

Museum Submission:

51. The twin heads of the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen the Sensual Silk-Call: the last of the ettins, slain in 712 by Thon Scarone and raised as a putrid ghoul in 797, terror of many dwarven forts. Fell for the final time to the mighty Godenrigoth, by the hand of Moldath Mournsaints.
The Hateful Two-head of Menace, an iron breastplate: It is dented and caked in filth, but the blueberry bush symbol of the Walled Dye is still visible. This iron breastplate was torn from a valiant defender of the deepfolk, and used by the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen to slay five dwarves in his rampage on Falsetower.

Forts Visited (forts visited a 2nd time not listed):

Secrethome
Crystalworship the Temple of Vultures
Urnways
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:22:05 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 22, 2022, 01:28:04 pm »

The Chronicle of the Blind Sadist, Volume IV, Part II

Three weeks have passed since I returned to Ancientlibrary. I have spent the time reading the books of this place, and ingratiating myself with the queen. I implore her to denounce the scorpions plots, and stay here in her library with her books. The dwarves of Adilatir deserve better.
One morning, she looks me straight in the eye and asks me if I would be king. Me! The Blind Sadist. Naturally I accept.

That's a hell of a story, but this... wow! I didn't know this could even happen in Dwarf Fortress! Maybe if you stayed in that place, the Kingship would have stuck? Also, was Ancientlibrary the capital for a while since you found the Queen there?

I remember that for a while with the blighted thrall massacres, some NPCs refused to move to Ilrallenod even as they ascended to nobles.

Also how are you keeping him in one piece? Did the resurrection cure whatever plague kept eating his body?

On another note, is he getting more sane, or is it just that he's very eloquent at presenting his ideas, but when you look at his actions, he's revealed for the mad sadist that he is?

By the way, the Rovod you found is Rovod Likotfeb, Iroram's first Expedition Leader. I've been wondering what Avolition's beef with her was, since it doesn't show her as being infected. Maybe I'll try to get her to a necromancer and bring her back to life to eternally rule Iroram or something.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:13:57 pm by Lurker Z »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 22, 2022, 04:24:11 pm »

Rumrusher is the one who found the method of stealing leadership positions from NPCs. I was gonna do that with my goblin demon adventurer, steal the master position, but... I just got hit with so many bugs that I gave up.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 22, 2022, 04:28:14 pm »

Also how are you keeping him in one piece? Did the resurrection cure whatever plague kept eating his body?

There always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between Moldath in fort mode and adventure mode. When I took over him after he was ressurected as a Hollow Hunter, he did not seem to be "mangled" as he was, but the rot still courses through him, as he then endured 101 days of being flayed by the surgeons of Balancehammer. He also survived being burnt in demonfire. His body alternates from being "incredibly skinny" in some incarnations to being "tall and muscular" in others. He does seem a bit.. broken?

On another note, is he getting more sane, or is it just that he's very eloquent at presenting his ideas, but when you look at his actions, he's revealed for the mad sadist that he is?

I don't claim to be a writer of any skill but I'd like to think that his internal logic has evolved organically based on the things he has experienced. He has always been an "unreliable narrator", seeing things through the lens of his own insecurities, or at least that is what I have tried to portray.

By the way, the Rovod you found is Rovod Likotfeb, Iroram's first Expedition Leader. I've been wondering what Avolition's beef with her was, since it doesn't show her as being infected. Maybe I'll try to get her to a necromancer and bring her back to life to eternally rule Iroram or something.

Not sure why the evil scorpion decided to slaughter the nobility of Treatyseed. He is very evil though.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 22, 2022, 04:32:16 pm »

Rumrusher is the one who found the method of stealing leadership positions from NPCs. I was gonna do that with my goblin demon adventurer, steal the master position, but... I just got hit with so many bugs that I gave up.

I asked Unraveller how to do it... he has done such magical things with Silverthrone and Jas Gloryage. I found an alternative way on the forums, though I don't remember who exactly from. Unravellers way is a lot more complicated, and beyond my knowledge of data editing to accomplish without accidentally breaking the game!

I figured if Moldath was the undying king atop the throne of the Walled Dye, I could retire him safe in the knowledge he wouldn't turn up to anyone elses fort, eat all their dwarves and generally cause mayhem. Didn't work out though. Turns out the dirty way that I did it doesn't seem to "stick" as Moldath was deposed three weeks later.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 22, 2022, 04:53:40 pm »

I think a quick and dirty way was to make a fortress you were comfortable of him staying in, enter fortress mode, give him a position, retire the game and he'd probably be bound like he was to Eskon. Making him King is much more dangerous, as he could get moved to Ilrallenod and killed the moment an adventurer activates the capital and the civil war starts anew.

I'd definitely put Moldath's eloquence on your writing skills, not only in this post, but in other posts as well. Reading your posts, Moldath seems the epitome of niceness, righteous and good manners. The only part that broke my suspense of disbelief was when he claimed he actually took those hammer blows because I knew that didn't happen, but you were working with the information from Legends Mode and you made it look so real that if I wasn't the one who played that fortress, I'd have believed Moldath/you.

On the other hand, if you just look at his actions in Legends/LV, he's completely erratic. If I lived in-world, I'd consider Avolition the hero and Moldath the boogie-man, Avolition's 885 massacre aside (which is justified by him trying to purge the Omon blight. I think). Glad you two finally interacted (I think this is the first time in-game?), that must be quite the show. Something interesting that people who delved deep in the game should know, from my understanding the game records ALL interactions between ALL creatures in ALL of history to be used for statues. So if we spam enough statues of Moldath and/or Avolition, we might immortalize that interaction. Wonder how the game sees it. Pretty cool stuff.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 22, 2022, 06:06:55 pm »

You FOUND MIRAILEI'S BOBCAT!

I wrote that thing off for dead of old age! It ran off during the battle with the alligator two turns ago and once she became a baroness I wrote off it's existence entirely

What an epic adventure and I'm really sad kingship didn't stick.
Immortal moldath monarchy when?

I think a quick and dirty way was to make a fortress you were comfortable of him staying in, enter fortress mode, give him a position, retire the game and he'd probably be bound like he was to Eskon. Making him King is much more dangerous, as he could get moved to Ilrallenod and killed the moment an adventurer activates the capital and the civil war starts anew.

Immortal bookkeeper Moldath
The record books absorb his rotting stench
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:11:14 pm by Maloy »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 22, 2022, 06:09:32 pm »

Imagine thinking that Avolition Holyblood of all beings is a hero, when the heroes among heroes the Band of Wax have brought hope back to Omon Obin! Such foul words Lurker! Forsooth I say!

/s

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 22, 2022, 06:36:07 pm »

Immortal bookkeeper Moldath
The record books absorb his rotting stench
If my experience with cardboard packaging from India is anything to go off of, those books will absorb the stink and then hold it for years.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 22, 2022, 06:52:30 pm »

You FOUND MIRAILEI'S BOBCAT!

Yeah, unfortunately 22 years has passed since then and the bobcat has died of old age. Sorry.

I was thinking of an elf from Ribiromini for my next adventurer, or even an animal man, as I felt the story of Moldath was complete. After he's spent another 20 years in captivity, lost all his armour and weapons, and reduced to a life as a vagrant, I am not so sure. He might not even survive until my next turn.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 22, 2022, 07:09:22 pm »

@Lurker

'. . . Moldath. . . niceness, righteous and good manners. . .'

(Too lazy to quote on mobile)

I'll bite, I've gotta say, my perspective on Moldath has not been so kind (though I certainly enjoy the character), haha. A being without allegiance, 'least not toward anything save for his agenda; a hunger for the Secrets of Life and Death, and a steadfast will to send as many souls he deems wretched through his arbitrary moral system to Ala.

Though Moldath has certainly made some overtures towards the Dwarven kind, my personal perspective is that it's more secondary an fixation than the former mentioned. Otherwise, I glean a brutal picture of a nihilistic wanderer.

Of course in the same vein, Moldath's opinion of folks like Jas, perhaps humorously coming from him, as bloodthirsty and zealous, haha. Usurpers with no claim (true). It's all relative I suppose.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 22, 2022, 08:42:30 pm »

Imagine thinking that Avolition Holyblood of all beings is a hero, when the heroes among heroes the Band of Wax have brought hope back to Omon Obin! Such foul words Lurker! Forsooth I say!

/s
I said if I were to compare Moldath and Avolition (the Law-Giver). It's interesting, I was rereading the thread and they appeared about the same time and they both meteorically rose. I know it's probably subjective, especially since Moldath has done as much to clean the world of goblins, the plague and night creatures as Avolition, but to me Moldath seems more erratic when looking at him through Legends Viewer. Maybe NPC!Moldath going from fort to fort killing dwarves while Avolition doesn't (or when he did, he went to Avolition-the-player's fort, so it didn't have such an impact). There's also kesperan's frantic reactions to NPC!Moldath's actions, which make Moldath seem even more erratic.

@Lurker

'. . . Moldath. . . niceness, righteous and good manners. . .'

(Too lazy to quote on mobile)
I said if you read his writings. He's perfectly cognizant, the perfect gentleman, everything he does makes sense (to him), he seems perfectly sane and correct in his actions. But then, he meets Queen Vafice and attacks her out of nothing (at least that's how I interpreted it). He does the things he does while outside kesperan's control. He kills most of the rocs, but leaves one alive... which was in the same lair as the others he killed... then comes back decades later to finish the job. All this give the sense of him being erratic.

Well, if I were to have a view out-world of Moldath, since we the players (and probably mostly us) "know" Moldath is a sapient amulet which somehow can bodyjump... I'd say all his time in Mudungudon and Orid Xem are his attempts at learning and emulating life. And in that being that alien creature which somehow gained sapience, he'll interpret some things vastly different than humanoid would. Yes, he's trying to do good most of the time, but other times he shows his alien nature and just does random things either because he feels like it or that he thinks humanoid think that's either what good people should do or what people in his position should do (i.e. necromancers raising random undead). I think that could also neatly explain why Moldath loves to drink every fluid he comes across, he saw humanoids doing it and doesn't understand that the body only needs water to sustain itself, that he shouldn't gorge himself on blood or other things. That's my take on things. Quite frankly, it's pretty refreshing, this alien view of Moldath. I think only Raki was really that alien. Maybe some of the necromancer experiments, but those not as much, (as far as roleplay in this game goes) they're still beings of flesh and blood that were taught humanoid values for the most part, or are mentally just "wild" humanoids with different bodyparts than humanid.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 263