Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409929 times)

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2835 on: January 27, 2023, 08:40:53 am »

@kesperan
deus fusilis mors/dea?!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 29, 2023, 01:17:49 pm »

Even with best compression its still over the file size limit. Uploading onto google drive atm. Didn't you get the file size increased previously Bralbaard?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ykg6MkbaSL5pn-Z-ymU85Iy029HbsPcf/view?usp=sharing

Also chuck me back onto the list please.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:21:59 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 29, 2023, 02:18:03 pm »

Even with best compression its still over the file size limit. Uploading onto google drive atm. Didn't you get the file size increased previously Bralbaard?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ykg6MkbaSL5pn-Z-ymU85Iy029HbsPcf/view?usp=sharing

Also chuck me back onto the list please.

I've got the save. If I compress the just extracted file using my own copy of Winrar (RAR format at best compression) it is only 423 mb, so it appears to be very software specific.
I have a possibly decades old freeware copy of winrar that expired long ago, but apparently it still does it's job
. Aack scratch that, it does not do it's job, that archive it created was broken.

Anyhow that makes it my turn.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:43:58 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: January 29, 2023, 02:46:03 pm »

Good luck, Bralbaard. Looking forward to what changed during Avolition's turn.

From my understanding, QD maximized compression by... saving the game without the LNP automatic compression... then actually archiving 3+giga... which somehow made the archive 420ish mega. Because Dwarf Fortress has gained sapience, we've talked about this, right? Anyway, that's a technique to use for those who don't have access to upload to other sites than DFFD for some reason.

Welcome to the newcomers, yes, I suppose there's still plenty to discover in the world. At the very least, there are the adventures to go from fortress to fortress admiring the artifacts, constructions etc. there. But we still have around half our forgotten beasts alive, so that might mean something.

Mind, this isn't a problem in the current game since QD fixed it, but since we've been discussing it some pages earlier, I thought I'd put this here for anyone interested.

Re: Filename is Museum III - Turn 102 - Complete - Copy in the 103 archive and I'm naming it Turn 104 for my own numbering convention.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:59:12 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: January 29, 2023, 04:23:43 pm »

I'll freely admit I might be wrong, but I think the LNP or something affiliated with it was indeed causing the archive growth.

Based on screenshots in the thread and my efforts to de-bork the graphics during turn 102, turn 97 seemed to be the most recent save without the LNP, with the saves after showing a mostly-consistent upward trend in archive size1; this was followed by a sharp drop-off once I overwrote turn 102's raw folder with the (pre LNP) turn 97 raws.

Then again, I just did some testing with my turn 102 saves and all of them (both pre and post-raw overwrite) came out at about the same size (417-420 meg, using free WinRAR at "Best" compression and .RAR format), so it could just be Dwarf Fortress screwing with us again.

1: Turn 97 - 457 MB; Turn 98 - *shrug*; Turn 99 - 479 MB; Turn 100  - 488 MB; Turn 101 - 479 MB; Turn 102 (raws overwritten w/ turn 97 raws) - 420 MB.

Other than that, I wish Bralbaard good luck in the upcoming turn and look forward to learning what Avolition did during theirs!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: January 29, 2023, 04:38:13 pm »

I'm excited for avolition's report
and also excited to see what bralbaard get's up to especially since my turn was about getting him rolling again

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: January 29, 2023, 05:00:12 pm »

QD, my take from this wasn't the raws, but the archiving methods LNP uses. The 457-488 leap is consistent, but the 420 is out there. We'll see how Bralbaard's will be, he plays with the game directly from Toady if I remember right, so there'll be no archiving-by-LNP.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: January 29, 2023, 05:01:25 pm »

QD, my take from this wasn't the raws, but the archiving methods LNP uses. The 457-488 leap is consistent, but the 420 is out there. We'll see how Bralbaard's will be, he plays with the game directly from Toady if I remember right, so there'll be no archiving-by-LNP.
Ah, right. I get where you were going now.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: January 29, 2023, 05:40:14 pm »

I don't know about whatever LNP does for compression, but DF itself has a setting in init.txt, at the very end.
Setting it to [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] seems to allow for somewhat better archiving by WinRAR on my end.
With compression I'm over 530 mb on my current backup, without compression in init.txt it is about 463 MB.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:56:21 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: January 29, 2023, 07:32:57 pm »

Congratulations on learning the 11th and 12th secrets you needed, Avolition!

I can see from the save that somehow you are now affiliated with the elves, and are no longer the law-giver of The Armored Confederacy.

I hope to get the rest of my story up this week and I look forward to hearing of your exploits!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: January 30, 2023, 11:44:14 am »

"Moldath V", Part IV, Turn 99

The Trek to Treatyseed

5th Felsite 937

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I clear the final dregs of demonic filth from the hellish outpost in Ironwards - some surprisingly chatty clear brutes fall to my axe. I inhale a thick cloud of boiling iguana demon extract, and I retch up blood from my rotten lungs. It will take more than that to lay me low.

I travel north towards Treatyseed, picking off a few goblins on the way.

On the outskirts of the capital, I am assailed by a headless blighted thrall fell one. It raises a fog and then promptly collapses when I drive my adamantine sword into its leg. Within Treatyseed itself, there has been some clean up since last I visited. Human militia commanders now patrol the corridors. I search for any sign of the king, but I find that he has died long ago! A new king sits on the throne of the Walled Dye.

In one of the many forgehalls, I find the skeleton of a great warrior clad in adamantine. Between her hands is an enormous adamantine runeaxe, encrusted with multicoloured diamonds!

Sadly the warrior's corpse is too shattered for my death magic to reanimate. I take her skeleton and armour and vow to find a fitting place to put her to rest. The axe is light as a feather and sharp as death. It will be a fine weapon.

I finally catch up with the so-called new king and interrogate him on his values. He cries for a drink, and that his hands are restless from lack of crafting. Strong dwarvish traits. He values knowledge and martial prowess, that much we agree on, but baulks at the importance of power. I discover from the chittering nobles that the Walled Dye are beset on all sides by war.

War against the humans of the Creamy Confederacy and The Empire of Peeks, not to mention the ever present threat of the goblins. Perhaps a king who valued power would not have allowed this to come to pass. But I will spill no blood here. I am not like the evil scorpion and his subterfuge and coups!

I leave through the central staircase to some commotion. A necromancer baron has ressurected the corpse pile! After I have cleaned up the mess, and raised a few unfortunate bystanders into a new productive life, I press on. I think it might be time to pay the Empire of Peeks a visit.

8th Felsite 937

I arrive at Faithtalk, capital of the Empire of Peeks, to have a polite chat with their law-giver. Several gaunt zombies roam the surrounds and are quickly dispatched. Arriving at the mead hall, I find it in disarray - goblin skeletons and blighted thralls are slaughtering the humans. I heft the huge adamantine greataxe over my shoulder and wade in.

A muscular head advisor necromancer - Ashi Slidsoapy - makes things even more confusing by ressurecting yet more corpses! The guild-representative is indeed a blighted thrall, as is the law-giver.

He has a blank look on his face as he pets the severed head of a goblin, before his own joins it on the floor. In the commotion I hear another necromancer squealing. I shall cleanse this corrupt place. I step down the stairs and suddenly the room is teaming with Gaunt Zombies. Slibtu Helplearns the necromancer is to blame.

It takes several hours before all the corpses are burning on a funeral pyre. I find evidence of the handiwork of Jamas the elk man. I wonder if the Ghoul-Father has anything to do with the infiltration of the Empire of Peeks? A short distance northeast is the town of Councilenjoyed, where goblin priests are being feasted on by blighted thralls. More work for me.

10th Felsite 937

After a short jaunt through some dark pits, I head westward and arrive at the town of Bitemother. Unsurprisingly it is infested with blighted thralls. It is another town of The Empire of Peeks, recently fallen to the Creamy Confederacy. Both are enemies of the dwarves, so I take grim satisfaction in cleansing this place.

In one small house I am surprised to see two giant wolves fighting with blighted thralls. The wolves are bitten by the thralls and succumb to the ghoulish plague, but their assault is unrelenting. I am forced to slay them all.

A short distance away from Bitemother, I am ambushed. There are three completely naked human wrestlers who seem a little sheepish and reluctant to attack, when out of nowhere a huge giant wolf appears. Another one? This wolf makes short work of the first wrestler as I look on dumbfounded. This is a seriously weird town.

The great wolf kills all three of my would be nude assassins, and I try to calm it to no avail. I am forced to strangle it. Raising into undeath, it will make a fine steed to carry me over the great mountains to the north. We travel over the mountains by night, the wolf's stride untiring, before arriving in the sinister desert of The Waste of Strangeness. We have reached our destination and I silently snap the wolfs neck, the magic animating it vanishing.

11th Felsite 937

Arriving at the foul cave of The Doom of Murk I spot many slaughtered elves, some of the skeletons bear the marks of a bear-like creature. One such elf claims to be a prisoner and begs to return home to his wife in Glacialtempests, capital of the Squeezing Ford. I have never seen eye to eye with elves but this could be intriguing. If the elf doesnt mind slaughtering some goblins on the way. Sure, we will visit Glacialtempests, eventually. Apparently his wife, Eliye Mobbean, is the diplomat for the queen of the elves. That could be interesting leverage!

We press on north through the evil desert. Thick pools of dwarf blood pock the landscape, raining from the sky of this horrible place. Animals skitter away leaving trails of dwarf blood in their wake; it coats our flesh and dribbles into our eyes. What a miserable land.

Less than half a day north, the land sprawls with dark pits. We stumble on a camp of troll and goblin blighted thralls. The skinny elf does not last long. He is bitten by a troll and his face twists as the ghoulish curse takes hold. It is not safe to return him home now. I take no pleasure in ending his suffering - he could have been a valuable asset in ending the war between the Squeezing Fords and the Nations of Honoring.

The closest Dark Fortress is a short distance to the west, Dreadyouth. I begin scouring the goblin filth. One particularly unfortunate fellow has his arm ripped off, jammed into his chest and then his skull bitten in half. I do relish in the suffering of goblins!

A particular favourite is using my death magic to propel the snivelling beasts from atop their wicked towers. How satisfying.

The goblins huddle in the centre of their fortress but the adamantine tide is relentless. Nothing is coming to save them. The walls are smeared in blood when I am finished. The hordes are unrelenting, and eventually I decide to leave this place. I do not have the patience to slaughter five thousand beak dogs.

13th Felsite 937

Posionuttered is the capital of the Most Sin, but it is mostly deserted. The Dark Tower is infested with trolls and I find only a handful of goblins. I do take the skull of their fat master, Ngom Profaneslugs. I leave and am chased by curious defenders. A named beak dog assaults me and is hacked down, followed by a group of troll soldiers in copper armour lead by Doxon Phraseveiled the troll hefting a copper morningstar. The goblins must be truly desperate to allow these dull creatures to lead their armies.

14th Felsite 937

I head north in the direction of the Mong Uthros territories. On the outskirts of Lipbraided I am accosted by blighted thralls. The blight has never taken hold this far north before. This is troubling news. Lipbraided's main keep is also infested, as are a few local villages. This whole land must be purged.

16th Felsite 937

Several goblins, thralls and howling freaks have been put down and eventually I arrive at Drillshrine. This town is the secondary capital of Mong Uthros, with all the constant upheaval in Atticmuffins. The new law giver, amusingly, is an elf disguised as a frail criminal. He greets me as a fellow worshipper of Ala, so he can keep his head for now. The facade is ruined by his justicar asking for him by his real name.

A polititian masquerading as a criminal... finally, an honest law-giver. At least the plague has not reached here yet. I am not so certain about Atticmuffins, which is my next stop.

Sadly, Atticmuffins is overrun by hand of planesgift priests, and half of them are blighted thralls. The group that Kothvir installed, the Greatest Attic of Muffins, are nowhere to be seen. I slaughter the thralls, and leave the other priests untouched. They greet me coldly - even as a legend, they cannot forgive my mercy killing.

In the refugee camps I meet the Lady of Atticmuffins, Siti Seizegorged. She seems happy to see me. Perhaps now the thralls are dealt with, she can return to her keep. It certainly seems that Erod Ambercrows was a... divisive figure. The thrall threat near Atticmuffins seems neutralised at least, and I spend a day or two checking nearby villages.

18th Felsite 937

I arrive at Releaseteachers, home of the Coven of Frothing. When I enter the hall, a blighted thrall priest is attacking the Holy Raunch, who quickly dispatches it with his iron pike. This grim priest is heavily armoured and has a short, muscular body. I entrusted the bronze slab Uklasut to the Holy Raunch Sushsath Routeenbraced here nearly forty years ago. Of her, there is no sign, and the new priest is not forthcoming. More worringly, there is no trace of the slab to be found. What has happened to it?

I travel eastwards, and arrive at Northmanor the Unholy Cathedral. To my dismay, it is crawling with goblin soldiers, mercenaries, and bizarrely a goblin who claims to be a tavern keeper. On his corpse is yet more evidence of the scorpion's vile plots.

By the time I have purged the goblins from this dwarven fort, I have 11 pouches full of coins bearing the grinning visage of the pincered menace.

20th Felsite 937

I leave Northmanor and head east, a very short distance away is a fort that I am familiar with. Fragmented memories come flooding back as I arrive on the outskirts of Balancehammer, where I was imprisoned and flayed alive for many years. The dwarves here hail from the resurgent Page of Tiredness.

They have clearcutted a huge swathe of bamboo forest and a proud basalt fortress rises from the earth. I meet a frail hammerer who claims not to know me. Entering the fort, I am confronted by a series of well crafted bridges which seem designed to drop unwelcome visitors into the icy depths below - surely enough to rid the fort of any goblin vermin who might drop by!

The flowing water is used expertly to create a waterfall of mist through the central spire - I cannot help grinning as my rotten flesh is washed by the caress of the river, and steam envelopes me instead of miasma. Fine adamantine and steel weapons litter the hallways, a sign of this places wealth and power. I remember little of this... only fleeting glimpses in my shattered mind of being chained to the "surgeon's" table. I spend some time exploring.

In the central courtyard, an enormous basalt spire juts skyward; truly an impressive sight. In one of the bedrooms is a familiar looking object. A rope reed quire that was written by my own hand! I quickly place it within my pack.

I fully explore the fortress. It is well stocked and well defended, and there are no beasts to slay. I stumble into a room which makes my head spin. A statue of my own twisted form stands before me, next to one of heroic dwarves and a final edifice of the dread wyrm Faci, destroyer of Keyconjure. Memories flood my rotten brain in an unwelcome torrent. Imprisoned, tortured like some plaything. In one corner is a room with a bed, throne and table, leading to a corridor with a loathsome trapped floor. One pull of a lever will drop whoever stands upon it into a cage trap. Is this how they kept me prisoner?

Somehow I feel this is not the only secret here. I am compelled to retrace my steps to the entrance, and high above the goblin-drowning trap I stumble along a precarious set of bridges into a quiet, cold stone room. Bookcases line the wall and the remnnants of a cage trap are visible in the centre of the prison. A statue leers at me, a reproduction of the event that forced me into servitude for many decades in Eskon. This place was my jail. It takes every ounce of my superdwarven willpower not to lay waste to the cowards who call this place home. I leave before my will breaks.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:39:22 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: January 30, 2023, 09:40:37 pm »

Got a bit concerned about you killing the goblin master, but it's the Knowing Deceiver I'm worried about, not the Most Sin.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: January 31, 2023, 03:02:45 am »

Don't think The Known Deceiver are gonna be much of a problem anymore. Sorry for delay in my posts, be riding out a stomach bug part of the weekend til now.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: January 31, 2023, 11:11:30 am »

Avolition Log

The world continues to tip towards disaster, in my absence the goblins have returned to what they once were, it's like all I'm doing is slowly down the inevitable. What's more worrying is that someone is using the goblins' high population density as a catalyst to spread the blighted plague once more. Knowledgepalms was a massacre, most were beaten to death or ghouls. It would seem the late king Jas and his merry band's work had been undone in a matter of years. I guess Irka’s prayers have been answered. No doubt a child of Gopet.

This blighted affliction enhances the abilities of the inflicted, these goblins seem faster and stronger. Some are dodging my blows and one even managed to land a hit. My ichor of life spilling upon the group. The aggression to anything with a pulse unless provoked. I must hasten my work, a goblin army of blighted thralls will bring around the end of Orid Xem.

It’s as i have feared i have encountered more specimens infected with the pits, it seemed dormant within them. Perhaps stress is a factor, seeing a bark scorpion man decapitate your mates might make for a stressful environment.

I have steamed the flow of goblins, I think I got them all. I have taken refuge in the dilapidated remains of Lashedjade, passing the time between raiding goblin pits and goblin attack squads hunting me down. Cleaned the place up, dug up and intombed the half burried corpses in the mud.

I have almost  mastered carpentry and bone carving. These hobbies haven't stopped my mind dwelling upon my monumental task that lies before me. The goblins' numbers are almost back to where they were previously.

I have decided to head north, I need to find ways to deal with the goblins once and for all. I need to visit an old friend, hundreds of years old. Perhaps she knows or has books on such a topic.

This isn’t healthy, I hadn't realised how much I had deteriorated. I have lost some much of who or what I once was before. I relapsed again into killing goblins, had my submission not felt my acknowledgement. I have decided to retire in Splashbeige. I have lost sight of myself, consumed by death and its infulence. Afe warned me of the path, how my conquest of pits and eradication of goblins has brought me closer and closer to death itself. Each kill further tainting my aura, corrupting me into an aspect of death.

She was right, the world has already one aspect of death roaming its rotting carcass around. It doesn’t need another, I have eternity to heal my soul and myself. End my curse and purify my blood. Asked what if there were any troubles in the area, she discloses one.

It is no more, my journey starts now. I feel good.

Learn that Afe seeks an artifact bow of her family returned to her. I am surprised, i open my pack and hand it to her. She is estatic with its return. I feel a warmth that i have not felt in years.

She finally accepted me to The Malignant greeds. We are practicing our performances ready to travel the world to perform. Just a few more years of practice. We will become the greatest performance troupe around.

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: January 31, 2023, 03:45:17 pm »

The scorpion king in a performance troupe? I imagine he'll be fun at parties, or at least that his crowd will be too scared to not applaud.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 263