Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409385 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3030 on: April 02, 2023, 07:57:27 am »

Thanks for the ressurect! I'm glad that at least he didn't attack on sight like when Avolition resurrected Lurker Onecbehal. Good luck with Arthur. I didn't notice the honking save file, lol.

I think a big problem with making a challenging fort is that creatures will be randomly spawned on the map, including in caverns and other unrelated/unfriendly environments. There was a bug (I'm not sure if it got removed by the version we're playing) where upon reclaiming, fort population would spawn inside solid rock. Another issue is that if they live long enough, they'll be called as nobles when someone dies of old age in the civilization they belong in.

As for Mabkor, I'm not sure about that. Yes, there's the centuries-long army with the centuries-long dead leaders "forever marching" on it, but I'm not sure that will stop other armies from being sent. Remember even as lore, that's a "rumor" and rumors travel slowly through Dwarf Fortress worlds. I think there are options for an adventurer to decided what rumor to create or not based on their achievements, or outright invent a new rumor. So that army is still a rumor, maybe at some time the game decided to get there, but detoured to somewhere else. I wouldn't count on it being a definite protection. I transcribed the "vision" about the invading army and its members, and following the links to the members shows their fate.

So at the very least, take these issues into consideration.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:11:19 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: April 02, 2023, 10:21:45 am »

Oh yeah, sign me up for another turn too.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: April 02, 2023, 01:33:30 pm »

I apologize but here is the new save the old link won't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uvNpJeFJNKvwb90C54rGfcm5qCQ1HJ5z/view?usp=sharing

I realize I uploaded it with my graphics pack and that would cause issues so I reuploaded it back to ASCII

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: April 02, 2023, 03:13:43 pm »

Two things:
* A respectable 5 years in-game have passed.
* Dreamypuzzled got ousted two days after taking the title. What will it do next?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: April 02, 2023, 03:18:43 pm »

I am very angry and discouraged, because nothing I try to do ever goes right, and at this point, why bother trying? I came here to start working on my write up. Now, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: April 02, 2023, 03:22:13 pm »

It appears to be the same issue as when Moldath tried to become King of Adilatír. I think the story was great and well-researched, in comparison with me who I just ran around the world until I got killed by a thrall. Dreamypuzzled is still in the capital, I think its story is very interesting. I'm sure a lot of us are looking forward to the reincarnated demon's story. And who knows, maybe the game will advance Dreamypuzzled to interesting positions on its own.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: April 02, 2023, 03:37:00 pm »

Certainly story potential there for sure. Not everything works out, had my plump helmets get killed by an invisible intelligent undead and my peinguin woman merced by a goblin. Stuff happens work around it. Failure is a great source of motivation for a charcter. Why were they not recognised as overlord? Was their a coop? Is there anything else going on in the world? Do they even want to be overlord?

Up to you. Looking forward to seeing what you produce.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 02, 2023, 05:58:30 pm »

It seems that leadership which is handed over through dialogue options doesn’t stick. You have to use a lot of dfhackery to become the genuine leader. Unraveller managed it with Jas Gloryage through memory editing. I suspected the same fate as Moldath might happen to Dreamy and so it did.

Unraveller might be able to explain how to do it properly but I don’t think it’s very easy.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: April 02, 2023, 08:30:49 pm »

I am writing.

It has come to my attention that due to one of the crashes I experienced, Dreamypuzzed did not, in fact, slay the last shadow troll. Ayanu Tombmurk the Dead Funeral still lives. I encourage anyone who wishes to improve Orid Xem to slay this creature and make a name for themselves.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: April 03, 2023, 04:00:24 am »

Entry Two
Part 1 of the Saga of the Light Eagle
If I had a Master...
Year 267
Source:
The field stood open to receive it's latest users. Who knows how many it had seen over the centuries and how much blood it had drank. How many bones had lain here for it's beasts and bugs to feast upon, but today it welcomed even more.
An elf stood resolute one hand behind him holding a spear at the ready and the other out palm forward ready to counter. His armor was patchwork wood with cracks and splinters throughout. A desirable target for any weapon
Facing him stood a goblin swordsman in a patchwork assembly of all metal armors and weapon likely scavenged from wielders who had scavenged
it themselves. Perhaps some who would have even fought on this very field, if it cared to express such history to it's users.

The goblin menacingly swung it's sword mocking and jeering as the elf calmly waited. The two faced off for a long time before the goblin realized the elf would not take the bait. A moment of quiet tension fell upon them instead until finally screaming the goblin charged forward swinging at the vulnerable elf. As blade came down the elf was already out of the way and stabbed out as the goblin in turn quickly jumped back.
The goblin swings again as the elf catches blade upon spear and shoves the goblin aside and stabs at an opening in the chest piece, but doesn't score deeply enough. Goblin swings again as the elf dodges around it and stabs again at the foot and then swings knocking the goblin over. The creature roared in pain and swung again as the elf continued to dodge and waited for his opening. Finally after enough thrashing by his opponent the spearman saw his chance and stabbed out impaling the goblin through the face and ending it's life.
The goblins companions looked at the elf and charged forward shouting and bearing weapons. As they neared an arrow flew from behind the spearman and struck one goblin in the stomach slowing it.
From behind the spearman a wild eyed and laughing goblin ran forward and met the first of the oncomers brutally cutting him to pieces while laughing. The other goblins saw this and began to ran in simplistic fear as the new mad goblin chased one down and began slashing and beating it with it's sword. He made bloody notches using a blade as a club as the spearman approached from behind.
The mad swordsgoblin was stretching out the kill as he beat the other screaming goblin to death and the spearman in pity ended the victim's life with a quick thrust as he walked by.
The field stoically welcomed it's new blood and bones as always.

"No better killing than killing your own!" Uvel the mad laughed walking towards Arthur dripping with the blood of his kin. His own companion Birello and Arthur's Miaralei walked up to join the two. Arthur was still new to this adventurer experience and considered what he should say that would sound appropriate. "You should not waste a weapon by misusing it" He decided on saying
The blood-covered goblin tilted it's head to the side in confusion looking more beastial than his kind normally did. "Eh? I can get a new one if this one breaks. Plenty of dead ones out here who won't be missing theirs. Been good hunting these last few days!"
Miara cut in "Next time stand to the side a little more when you go mad or my arrow might cut you down next"
Birello was calmer, but no less vicious than Uvel "They're sending out patrols after us now, but out here I wouldn't expect anything more than what we saw today."

The two goblin mercenaries barely qualified for the term. When the elves met them they were both working for bandits, but agreed they'd rather join up with the elves who were clearing this region of threats to travelers and traders. Neither elf trusted them, but they quickly proved true to their word as Uvel shortly after spotted a goblin ambush and killed the members himself. They had no loyalty to anything other than a good battle.

Arthur looked pensive, which he learned as a trader made people think you were thinking a lot more deeply than you actually were, and spoke "How long does this go on exactly though? I've been using this trade route between Razorbridge and Incenseorder for over a century. We clear a town of Nusmzolak goblins and then it later fills with bandits or blight victims. Clear them out and someone else shows up."

"That is the way of things" Birello said calmly whip now put away.
"Yes and isn't it grand?" Uvel laughed basking in his own carnage
"What are you getting at, Arthur?" Miaralei asked
At times like this being a leader he wished he had a mentor like most of the great heroes had. Jas, the warriors after him, the great king Arthur had helped dig up and more. All had that one wise man who would give those clever nuggets of wisdom that kept everyone moving towards progress. Arthur had to improvise the role "I think our answer will be revealed as we continue to press forward" he said
Miara frowned. She found such lines from him annoying, but didn't care to express it in their current company.
Over the next few days as they had done in previous they continued to scour the regions attacking each dark pit, camp, and township for Nusmzolak presence. It bothered Miara that Birello and Uvel didn't care about killing their own kin, but the goblins felt no sense of hypocrisy hindering the efforts of their own.

One day as the two elves sought a moment alone by a nearby brook they spoke at length at the situation
"I'm quite content hunting these defiling filth for another decade or two, love" she said as she sat admiring a flower near her. The beauty of nature softened her features which more often than not were contorted in disgust or malice these days.
"Then after we leave more will show up"
"And? We don't have an army to go and wipe them all out. So we must be content to hunt them like the rabid beasts they are or move on" she said incredibly calmly as she gently stroked the stem of the flower. She was careful not to break it, and therefore kill it, as humans were inclined to.
"This tradeway is used by our people too. If I came through with a human caravan I would have guards otherwise myself and the others would be hiding in the trees with our animals whenever a patrol came near. They often range north past Razorbridge to raid our own people's land as well"
"Yes, poor Razorbridge. Shame that the dwarves stopped holding that giant corpse made of nature"
"Shame indeed, but it's not totally empty. There are a few dwarves there, but they hide when people pass through for the sheer amount of raiding parties from different groups"
Miara waited patiently for her companion to reach his point.
"If I had a master he would say....Look behind you to see the opportunities to come"
Miara giggled "That sounds like nonsense"
"Miara, why can't our people just conquer these lands and protect them?"
"You serious? There's hardly any of us left. There was only three other elves living in your home forest and that's a normal number"
It was true. The elves had expanded aggressively to reclaim lost forests, but had no people to manage them. One family might oversee an entire forest that a hundred elves had protected in previous centuries
"So look behind us instead" Arthur said and Miara gave him an annoyed look again as he continued "The blight is back west towards Incenseorders. Entire towns have picked up and are fleeing in all directions to get out of the tainted lands. 'Cursed' they call it!"
"Likely is, love. What about it though? You wanna infect the goblins with the blight so they'll eat each other? That'd be funny"
"No no, they'd become a worse problem. We need the refugees fleeing the blight! These folk need a home, and it's right here!"
Miara laughed now "Right. A home filled with bandits and goblins and completed devastated by war and raiding?"
"Yes, but it would be their land! Anyone making a trade wants to feel like their in control of it and the same is true for life even if the deal isn't great. Same way for power too. Food runs low and so merchants seek to bring more sensing the opportunity. Goblins get cleared out? Bandits find a new home and so what if instead of trying to stop that we brought the refugees here and let them be lords of their own lands?"
"Sounds like a bad deal"
"Yes, but they'd be in control of their lives again. Since it's their land they'd also fight to protect it and they'd help keep the route safe! I think this is it!"
"Sounds silly, love, but I won't deny that humans have a foolish need to be in control. Where do we start?"

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 03, 2023, 02:03:34 pm »

Ah, Arthur's becoming more and more interesting. After his last adventures, I expected him to be a toughened warrior, but it appears he's still rather insecure. Great action sequence and I'm starting to like Uvel. I didn't know metal gear could wear down. Wow. Thanks for the story.

As for the elves, I don't know what to tell you about them. I went from the Tundra of Heroes to the most northern part of the world and back and met not a single elf, and yet LV at least says there are more now than in other times. Where the HFS are they hiding?

Ah, I was going to ask, how much stuff did my character had on him? I'm pretty sure I had a pile of a few hundred items, so I hope it wasn't too much trouble to get the important parts on that pedestal. And did you run into the blighted dwarf?

It's kesperan's turn now, right? Is Moldath's story finally finished in eternal rest or will he brought back for another go? And if not him, then who will be our new brave adventurer? Good luck, kesperan.

Edit: Someone managed to remove playing in fortress mode as non-dwarves? Hmmmmmm... It also removed the possibility to reclaim non-dwarven holds. And it borked the diacritics again. FFS.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:13:13 pm by Lurker Z »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 03, 2023, 02:32:36 pm »

Is it possible my using a graphics pack caused that? I don't imagine it would affect things like human civ embarks. I can stop using entirely for the future if we think that might be a cause

Yeah LV tells me the elves are often just two or three people a retreat and usually those are actually just Hands of Planegifts
It's weird. I haven't been there, but in the forests in the far north-east there's a couple retreats that have high populations according to LV

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 03, 2023, 02:42:35 pm »

I always use Pheobus and to my memory, I have never given away a borked save. Something weird is going on.

Turn 108 end has these things, they are missing in 109. Hmmmmmm... Maybe your graphics reversal fixed it? I have the save that you deleted, but not the newest one.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 03, 2023, 03:03:55 pm »

Edit: Someone managed to remove playing in fortress mode as non-dwarves? Hmmmmmm... It also removed the possibility to reclaim non-dwarven holds. And it borked the diacritics again. FFS.

I download and see most of the saves, people use different graphics and settings, and the save gets borked all the time, especially the diacretics thing. In general people manage to fix it, but sometimes this removes preferences or changes earlier players made. There's no good way to prevent that, since everyone prefers different settings, and we just have to live with it happening every now and then.

I don't really want to restrict use of graphics packs or quality of life hacks during play, or force all people to use the same changes on their save.  The only thing I can advice is that you make a backup of the changes that you prefer so you can apply them again for your next turn. Also, when making changes, try to test saves for issues before uploading, and try to upload it in a state that is compatible with vanilla and vanilla graphics. Still I fear mod and graphics conflicts and problems are unavoidable.

I've send Kesperan a message.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:11:56 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 03, 2023, 04:09:02 pm »

It's kesperan's turn now, right? Is Moldath's story finally finished in eternal rest or will he brought back for another go? And if not him, then who will be our new brave adventurer? Good luck, kesperan.

I have downloaded the save and still undecided on what to do - the options I have are taking Moldath out again, forging a career for this erstwhile illegitimate son, or something completely different.... perhaps all of those at once?

I tend to resinstall the basic RAWs every time I take over the save. You lose the modifications like outsider Dwarves/Kobolds but they are easy to fix if needed. That probably also removed any changes to the RAWs which allow non-dwarven forts.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 263