Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409797 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3210 on: May 04, 2023, 05:29:19 pm »

Well that's good. Please attach a lever to it so i can let him out!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: May 04, 2023, 06:14:44 pm »

You are just auto let out from experience. I have had it a few times that prisoners are released.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: May 05, 2023, 11:46:43 pm »

Here is the save, Bralbaard.

Have fun.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16658
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: May 06, 2023, 02:57:59 pm »

Thanks!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: May 06, 2023, 05:03:38 pm »

He’s in a cage in my gladiator arena next to a lever, should you wish to plan a daring rescue.

I played until the start of 995.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: May 06, 2023, 06:13:54 pm »

I finally managed to get on with writing up the next bit of Turn 92. Unfortunately, I lost most of the images associated with this part of the turn, so it's mostly just text.

It was early in the morning that they set out from the ruins of Channeltwigs. None of them desired to spend any longer in the half-destroyed castle than they needed to, and so they were underway almost as soon as the sun arose. They had stayed only long enough to cache the weapons and armour they could not take with them, and to erect a handful of crude memorials to the dead – simple wooden beams with the fallen soldiers’ names scratched into them, thrust into the ashy soil where the pyre had stood.

The group did not need to travel far. Even at a modest pace, with Sizet limping badly and half-supported, half-carried by her comrades, it took them merely a day or two of travel before they reached the hamlet Lord Crewcanyons had deemed their next destination. It was a small hamlet, near to the border of the Tundra of Heroes and ringed by the ancient stone of abandoned or sparsely populated monasteries.

The roads that greeted them were deserted, barren of any sign of life. Bodies and half-bodies lay about here and there, left to rot where they had fallen; corpses of all ages, from infant to elder. The carrion crows, so often seen amidst such scenes of death, seemed entirely absent despite the feast laid out for them. The reason for such absence became clear at a closer look: about a few of the bodies, these ones blistered and swollen with decay, the feathered forms of dead crows lay. The signs of a thrall-attack.

While the terrible scene would have unsettled them in brighter times, the stresses of the past days had partially inured the group to such sights. A few averted their eyes; others stared grimly ahead, gazes affixed on the mead-hall at the centre of the settlement. Gasin and his inner circle alone seemed immune, though Dubmith paused a moment to gently murmur a prayer for the unfortunate souls that lay in ruin around them and Gasin mutely bowed his head in sympathy.

“This place is dead.” Hathur’s solemn voice broke him from his thoughts, ringing slightly in his ear. “They couldn't have survived a thrall attack like this. We should lea—”

But here Gasin rounded upon her with a furious blaze in his eyes, something between a hiss and a snarl bubbling up in his throat. His features writhed with sudden, savage fury at her half-finished declaration, strong enough that Hathur found herself stepping back in the face of his sudden change of mien. Long teeth bared, he strode forward until he was almost nose-to-nose with her, one hand gripping the hilt of his sword with such force that it physically tremored.

“Search every house,” Gasin commanded, his voice gaining a sharp, commanding edge that would brook no disagreement. “If there is even a chance of another soul living, we must seize it! Now! Now, Void take you!”

Hathur exchanged a glance with Mori, her disbelief and shock plain on her face, but she acquiesced to the inquisitor’s orders with a taut nod, striding over to the nearest house’s door to tear it from its hinge with a single blow. Her compatriots followed suit, breaking away in twos and threes to begin the long task of searching for survivors.

Every house bore the same scene – a few shreds of tattered cloth or metal, and the broken, often decayed forms of its former occupants. A handful of times there came the sound of stirring movement, seeking to reignite their hopes, only for it to be no more than a rodent or other tiny creature shifting about in the ruins. Slowly, as each door was opened and the grisly scenes observed, the group’s work began to slow, and then to stop entirely.

“Not one soul in this place still lives, master Crewcanyons.” Hathur’s expression was stoic as she returned from her latest search, though the tension in her stance betrayed her wariness. “Neither thrall, nor human.”

“You...” Gasin murmured to himself, bowing his head in contrition. The savage fury had drained from his body as each house yielded the same results, replaced by a terrible weight and exhaustion that drew the colour from his skin. “You spoke well earlier, lady Craftedmirrored, and I ask your forgiveness for my choler.”

“Of course.” Hathur’s voice was level and sincere, though she could not help but wonder at the reason for his sudden flare of fury. Gasin gave her a heavy nod in reply, before turning to face the rest of the gathered group as they stood before the mead-hall.

“I had hoped that this would not come to pass, but it seems my hopes were unfounded. We came too late to save these souls,” He closed his eyes, bowing his head so that his eyes were shrouded. “And so we must press on, that their deaths might be avenged.”

“Wait.” Thadar suddenly cocked her head to the side, scarred features contorting slightly. She raised a stubby finger in warning, her teeth baring themselves. “Do you smell that?”

Gasin slowed his pace, straining his senses to catch whatever scent Thadar had. There was the snow and wet grass, so common to the lands of Omon Obin; the scent of soaked wooden timbers and thatching that dominated many hamlets in the rainy season; and then – his nose wrinkled sharply as he suddenly caught what Thadar had sensed. It was a scent all too familiar to him: the faint stench of iron and rot and waste, leaking out from the door of the hall in a putrid cocktail.

“…Stand by me, Thadar,” Gasin murmured, fingers falling to his sword-hilt as he began to advance toward the door it came from. “There is something wrong here.”

By the look on his scarred comrade’s face, she concurred. Thadar drew up beside Gasin with her axe already raised to the shoulder and her eyes locked firmly on the door. If any thralls burst out of it to strike, her axe would be their first and last sight. Unprompted, Mori took up station by the other side of the door, war hammer gripped tightly in her gauntlets. Wordlessly, she looked up toward Gasin, who gave a short shake of his head in reply, half raising a finger in a gesture for patience; he pushed slightly against the door, and it swung inwards without a sound.

The inside of the hall soon revealed the source of the smell: four or five bodies in various states of decay, lying sprawled across the earthen floor in pools and smears of blood – some dried and flaking, some fresh and wet. Almost all of them bore the signs of blunt injury to the head or neck, and rather more alarmingly, each one bore the blisters and weeping sores common to those taken by the Obin Blight. Most alarming of all was the figure at the centre of the bodies: a young man of perhaps thirty seasons, kneeling amidst the carnage with his head bowed onto his chest.

Almost unconsciously, Gasin dropped a hand to his sword. While the survivor bore no obvious signs of the Blight’s touch, he had seen for himself how its poison could lurk beneath the mask of innocence. Warily, he signalled Mori and Thadar to come in behind him, ignoring the indrawn hisses of breath behind him in favour of advancing toward the surviving man.

“What happened here?” He asked, loudly and firmly. The man did not respond – indeed, he did not seem to hear Gasin’s question at all, remaining with his eyes fixed upon the ground and his head downturned. It was only when Gasin stepped forward to touch his shoulder that he showed any sign of life: one hand flashed forward to lock around his wrist; the survivor drawing in a shuddering breath as his head snapped up to fix the inquisitor with a red-rimmed eye. It was wide, unfocused, almost crazed with terror and wild fury – for a half-second Gasin feared to feel a dagger strike against his armour, but the fear faded as soon as it came; some semblance of focus came back to the man’s features, and his body shuddered with an unsteady breath as it did.

“Y…you’re alive…”

“We are.” Gasin confirmed. He tried again, voice softening slightly this time. “What happened here?”

“They… the thralls…” He gestured to one of the bodies, lying face down on the earthen floor with the back of its head stove in. Though its face was half-obscured by the dirt, Gasin could see the blisters around its cheek and one exposed eye. “They… they –”

“They attacked you.” Gasin’s voice was soft, sympathetic. He laid a light hand against the young man’s shoulders, feeling him jerk slightly under the touch of his glove. “Did this terrible deed.”

A weak nod. The man tried to raise a hand and point to something, but a furious coughing fit bent him almost double. He groaned in pain, one hand raising to touch against his chest; sweat was running in rivulets from his brow, despite the coolness of the room. His red-rimmed eyes blinked blearily at Gasin, struggling to keep focused. Dubmith strode forward, pushing past the bigger form of Thadar to rest a hand against the man’s forehead, taking in his form with a practiced gaze. She shot her lord a sharp, almost unsettled look.

“He’s burning up, lord Crewcanyons.” Dubmith’s tone was as sharp as her glare, fingers twitching restlessly. “Definitely wounded. I’ll need to –”

She was cut off mid-sentence as he staggered to his feet, lurching unsteadily backwards as he rose before catching himself again the wall.

“Crew… Crw’cny…”

He gave Gasin a faraway, puzzled look, stood swaying for a moment, and then fell the length of his height face-first to the floor without so much as a whisper.

The following minutes were a blur. Dubmith took charge the moment she saw Gencesh fall, barking orders at the others of their group. Hathur and Luki carried him at her direction, laying him down in a relatively clean section of the mead hall’s cellar, as far away from the gore above as they could manage. Gasin himself had chosen to stay at the top of the stairs, jaw tightly set and his eyes fixed on the open doors; he had firmly, if politely, refused to enter the cellar itself. Thadar had immediately joined him at the stairtop, under the pretext of helping him guard the hall against any threats that might be drawn by the scent of spilt blood.

Down in the cellar the man was laid out on Luki’s roughspun cloak, face discoloured and his eyes closed; a single burning torch in a wall-bracket threw jittering patterns of light across the walls and stone flooring. Dubmith was busy cutting the stained remnants of his clothing off, breath hissing between her clenched teeth at the wounds she uncovered with each motion. A thin cloth covered his lower half, though it was visibly dark where drops of blood and some evil-smelling liquid had fallen onto it. Luki was busy soaking another cloth in water from Dubmith’s waterskin, gently pressing it against Gencesh’s burning forehead; Mori and Hathur stood off to the side, weapons in hand and figures tense.

“What’s wrong with him?” Hathur asked, eyes flicking toward Gencesh’s prone figure.

“He’s a mess of wounds – mostly not deep ones, but they’re almost all infected.” She carefully laid another of the foul-smelling cloths on one of the deeper gashes, pausing momentarily to pull a stiffened section of fabric away from his right arm. “That’d account for the pallor, and the fever. He’s lost a fair amount of blood, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s dehydrated – that’d explain the collapse. I’ve tried to get some water into him, but his jaws aren’t budging an inch.”

Hathur felt her own jaw tighten sharply. “What do you need us to do?”

“Get some more water – use the snow outside if you have to. I’ll need it to try and keep his temperature down, and it’ll let me try and brew up something for the infections.” Her right eye twitched sharply as she cut away another section of bloodstained leather from Gencesh’s form, exposing a fresh set of wounds it had previously hidden. “I need to concentrate. Luki, you stay; the rest of you, go back upstairs and help lord Crewcanyons.”

Thadar looked left and right, before nodding brusquely toward the stairs. “You heard her. Someone get some water boiling; that fireplace up top should still work. You two,” She pointed toward Mori and Hathur with the head of her axe. “Get those goddamn bodies out of the main hall. Rest of you, come with me. Need to get a guard up already…”

Mori bristled slightly at being commanded in such a fashion, and Hathur stepped forward looking as though she wished to argue, but a sharp glare from Dubmith stopped them in both in their tracks. A long, tense moment passed as the two groups stared them down, before Luki let out a low sigh and nodded toward the stairs.

“Leave it, Mori,” She murmured lowly. “We’ve got work to do.”

The following hours crawled by days. Removing the dead from the hall had been short work with the number of hands available; the wood available was presently too damp from the snow and rain to make a proper pyre, and so they laid bodies of the former inhabitants outside for the moment in rows three wide. The residue of the battle had been cleaned as best as they could manage, using scraps of cloth and a few empty woollen bags as makeshift mops and containers for the blood and smaller pieces of viscera; they would be burned with their owners, once Thadar and Hathur returned with suitable firewood.

Leaning heavily against one of the walls, Gasin resisted the urge to pace about the room. His mind kept drifting to the cellar and the scenes that had greeted them, dredging up dark memories to the surface of his mind, setting his head to pounding. His skin itched furiously, heat building up in his chest as those treacherous thoughts flitted in the front of his mind.

Blood. Darkness. The sensation of cold steel lancing through his shoulder, strong fingers wrapping around his neck. Pain, and more pain. Screaming.

Gasin almost growled as he pushed away from the wall, the inquisitor trying to think of something else to do. His eyes flicked back and forth across the group – Mori, standing guard with war hammer in hand off near the shattered wreck of the doors; Sizet, seated on a chest off in the corner and deeply engrossed in a book she’d salvaged from somewhere. He shook his head to himself. To interrupt Mori for the sake of idle chatter would be a violation of simple sense, with the risk of thralls lurking around out there; to do the same with Sizet would be the height of ill manners.

He was resigning himself to simply facing that sense of frustration when the sound of footsteps behind him provided a welcome respite. He turned to find Luki advancing up the stairs, her leather gauntlets still wet with water and other liquids. She must have seen the question written on his features before he even asked it, for she greeted him with a nod and indicated the cellar with a slight motion of the head.

“Lady Claspedcastles’ asking for you, master Crewcanyons. She says he’s awake –”

Gasin did not wait a moment after that, sweeping past Luki with his cloak in full sail. His abrupt manner and suddenly tense posture took the archer by surprise, cutting herself off mid-sentence to follow him back down into the murk. Another torch had been lit by either her or Dubmith, banishing some more of the murk from the cellar – while it was still dim enough to leave his skin crawling with instinctual gooseflesh and prickles of heat, he could at least make out the forms of his comrade and the wounded man she was watching over.

“He’s awake and stable for now, master Crewcanyons.” Dubmith didn’t bother looking up to greet him, already knowing what he was going to ask.

“Have you been able to discern anything of him, lady Claspedcastles?”

She nodded. “His name is Gencesh - a potter and trader of this hamlet. Little more than that – he keeps slipping in and out of consciousness. I don’t know how long he’ll remain awake this time.”
Gencesh looked up. Some of the pallor had left his face, and his eyes were coming back into focus. His mouth quirked at the edges, trying to stir.

“He’s done that multiple times.” Dubmith informed him, keeping a wary eye on his freshly bound wounds. “Keeps trying to say something. ”

Gasin leaned in close, cocking his head to the side to better pick up whatever he was trying to say.

“Can you hear me?”

“I hear you.” Gencesh’s voice was a faint thread of sound, barely above a rasp.

Gasin leaned down, turning his head toward the wounded man. “You are safe. Among friends. Speak slowly. Whisper. What happened?”

“They came at us from the west side of the hamlet – out from the fields.” Gasin didn’t need to ask who “they” were – the carnage above had been answer enough. Dubmith dabbed carefully at several of the half-clotted cuts on his shoulder and chest with a cloth soaked in another of her remedies. “They were in the houses before any of us knew what was happening. I… I didn’t see them get in there – get at the rest of us. But we all heard the screams. The sounds.”

He broke off for a moment, coughing. Dubmith drew a small, stoppered phial from her backpack and quickly removed the cork before carefully tilting back Gencesh’s head. She poured the contents of the phial down his throat in one smooth movement, not taking the earthenware phial away from Gencesh’s lips until she was sure he’d swallowed it. He bared his teeth, grimacing.

“Gods above, that tasted foul.”

“It’s to help with the pain. It’ll work fast, but you’ll be feeling drowsy soon.” The sable-robed woman fixed Gasin with a granite-hard stare, voice gaining a sharp note of warning. “Do not excite him, understood? You’ll have a few minutes before it kicks in, but then he’ll need to sleep.”

Gasin nodded in understanding. Though nominally subordinate to him, he knew well of her vehement refusal to compromise on the health of her patients. No amount of cajoling or orders would shift her when she came to such a mood, and so he returned his focus to Gencesh with a renewed sense of urgency.

“Few of us managed to barricade ourselves in.” He rasped, nodding weakly toward the higher level of the great hall. “Kept the thralls out for a while. You could hear ‘em at night, hands battering at the doors, scratching at the walls. Went silent after… maybe a week.”

Gasin nodded, leaning in closer. “How many of you were there?”

“A dozen of us,” He wheezed, wincing slightly as he spoke. “Me, a few of the nobles, the guards, Atir… and… and the old man. He called himself a scholar, was travelling north ‘a here. Said… said he’d dealt with these cursed things before.”

“What happened?”

“We went outside.” His words were little more than a whisper. “Something had ripped almost all of them apart. Maybe two still alive and intact. Bits of the others, scattered about like meat-scraps. And then… and then…

“Atir.” His words were little more than a whisper. “Atir got sick. Don’t know when. Might’ve been then when we went out, tried to scavenge whatever the thralls hadn’t trampled or et. Might’ve been before. We argued – the captain said it was just a fever, the old man that it was the thrall-plague. Said there was one way to deal with it.”

Gencesh shook his head weakly, a mirthless smile creeping across his face. “He wouldn’t have it. Not even a word. Told him he could take his chances with the thralls, if that was his attitude.”

“What happened?” Gasin’s voice was urgent, laden with anticipation.

“Th’ doors.” Gencesh groaned. “The old man vanished – left in the night. Must’ve left a door open. Thralls got in that night, killed three of us before we could drive them off. It’d have been all of us if she weren’t there, she took so many of them down. But there, or before, she got bit.”

Gencesh drew in a deep, shuddering breath, trying to steady himself before continuing. “She was strong. Lasted for days. But she turned, and then she turned the rest. Bit ‘em in their sleep, or when they tried to get up. Killed ‘em, if they was lucky. And then –” He halted, shaking. He gulped back a breath, his next words little more than a whisper. “I saw her coming for me. Killed her. Killed the others. Had to… had to...”

Gencesh’s voice trailed off, growing weaker. His head lolled back on a boneless neck. “He’ll pay. By every one of the gods, he’ll pay.”

Dubmith placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, easing him back against the makeshift bedding as his voice began to tail off. She carefully trickled a second phial down his throat before fixing Gasin with an intense stare. “He’s going to be out for at least a day. All too likely more, with what I’ll need to do here. Our pursuit will have to wait.”

“And there is no way you may speed his wakening, lady Dubmith?”

The sharp look she gave him was answer enough. Gasin could recognise a losing argument when he saw one, and so he settled for nodding heavily and beginning to walk back up the stairs to re-join the rest of the group above.

“We must rest here for another few days,” Gasin announced without preamble, cutting off the half-formed questions on their lips. “While our new comrade recovers from his wounds.”

Mori let out a growl of frustration, her fingers tightening on the battered leather grip of her war hammer. “So we’re letting that bastard get away?”

“No, lady Festivereigns,” Gasin reached inside the folds of his robes and carefully withdrew the journal of Kosoth, cracking it open to a marked page. “It merely means we must resort to other means of discerning his whereabouts.”

“And what would these means be?” Mori grumbled, fixing him with her usual half-glare. Her eyes shifted to take in the book in his hands. “And what is that?” 

Gasin turned the book around to face them, letting them see its contents: long, spidery writing in an unfamiliar hand, interspersed with unfamiliar runic markings and idle scribblings, as a man might make out of idleness or practice.

“’That’ is the journal of one of the Sage’s… compatriots, acquired shortly before our very first meeting.” Gasin frowned slightly as he pointed to the writing on the page. “But the traitor saw fit to write in some cipher that I haven’t yet made head nor tail of, outside of precious few passages – and those are so oblique as to be of little use.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There was a long moment of silence after they finished reading the passage, as uncertain glances and confused looks were traded among them.

“Karking sorcerers.” Thadar growled, shaking her head. “Never can be simple with ‘em, can it?”

A low murmur behind Gasin caught his attention. He turned to face the source: Sizet, of all people, keeping herself upright with her axe acting as a crutch. She was at his elbow, peering closely at the spidery writing and unfamiliar symbols that adorned the journal before them with an almost unnerving intensity. “Is something the matter, lady Sizet?”

“Not much, master Crewcanyons…” Sizet swayed slightly as she leaned further in, peering closely at some of the writing. After a moment, she reached out, one finger tapping against a small indentation in the parchment. “But I recognise this mark, and some of the lettering here.”

“Truly?” Gasin leaned in eagerly, his features alight.

“Aye. Look here –” Sizet squinted slightly as her eyes focused on the letters, leaning forward for a closer look. “This mark here, the indent in the vellum - it looks like the runes the greenskins use, on their flags and papers alike. And this scribble here – it looks like an archaic word of our own language.”

Mori raised a sceptical eyebrow, peering over the axewoman’s shoulder. It looked like utter nonsense to her, with the way the letters were so jumbled about. “You’re certain, Sizet?”

“My eyes may be redder than a greenskin’s right now, but I know what I’m seeing. Languages and codes are a fancy of mine.” The axewoman’s voice was dry as she turned her red gaze toward the hammerwoman. She tapped a finger against the diary’s pages again. “Here - there’s a couple words they left whole. Could be a lead, could be a lure. Whole thing’s scrambled worse’n a thrall’s brains.”

Mori shot a look toward Gasin. “You said there were a couple paragraphs you’d decoded?”

Gasin shook his head. “Such would imply a breaking of the code. Those we uncovered were of a different kind – normal, but oblique, rather than the cipher guarding these secrets.” He pointed to a particular section of the journal, marked with a bright scarlet strip of leather. “Here.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“...Karking sorcerers.” Hathur muttered, palming her face with one hand. “You were right, Sizet – there is something here. But what?”

“Well,” Luki murmured, the interest clear in her eyes as she sidled up to the group. “If we’re laid up here for the next few days, we might as well try and find out, aye?”

There was a low grumble of sound – mixed agreement and apathy, from the various quarters of the group. Some were clearly reluctant, desiring to continue the hunt for their quarry; others rather more enthusiastic, with Sizet voicing a surprising desire to break whatever code the journal had been writer in. Gasin listened to the various remarks and agreements, turned for a moment to think alone, and then finally settled for a nod and a smile to the group.

“Well then, my comrades,” He intoned. “Let us begin our work.”

The work progressed faster than any of them had expected. With half a dozen people in the same mead hall and little else to occupy their idle hands, the encrypted diary soon became an object of obsession for most of the group. The cipher itself was identified swiftly enough – a simple substitution of letters, interspersed with stranger sigils – but the key to it remained frustratingly elusive. Every now and then, a single word would be translated or a seeming pattern would begin to emerge, to be disproven as soon as they tried to apply it to the other sections.

Candle after candle was melted down to a stub as the days passed, frustration building as it did. Tempers began to fray. Until at last –

“Finally!” Sizet’s shout shattered the early morning silence, startling her comrades from their rest. “I have it!”

By way of answer there was a loud thump and a stream of sulphurous swearing from the cellar; Dubmith had evidently been sleeping when the axewoman’s cry startled her into wakefulness, and either her arm or head had paid the price. In the main hall, Sizet’s comrades stirred and rose amidst a chorus of yawning and grumbled complaints, turning to face the scarred axewoman with bleary eyes. Her lips and eyes were crusted and bloodshot, her skin visibly waxy and blotched with red, but her expression held nothing but triumph and her posture practically crackled with unbound energy.

“Wh’t is i’?” Mori grumbled, dragging herself upright with a groan. Her bleary eyes blinked rapidly as she tried to rouse herself to full awareness. Then, more clearly: “What is it, Sizet? What’re you making such a racket over?”

“The code!” Sizet cried. “I have the code!”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:41:09 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: May 06, 2023, 06:14:42 pm »

Some ten minutes later, the group were gathered about the axewoman and the journal she had worked through the night to decipher. Most of them were still bleary-eyed from sleep, some visibly struggling to stifle yawns or rubbing their eyes; Thadar and Hathur looked barely capable of standing, having been standing guard and keeping watch for thralls throughout the night. Even Gencesh was standing, though his torso was still wrapped in Dubmith’s salve-soaked poultices and one hand held a  broken length of wood salvaged from the hall’s furniture as a makeshift crutch for his still-weak leg. Despite their exhaustion, the air bore an unmistakable nervous charge as they waited to hear the results of their comrade’s work.

Gasin stood beside Sizet’s shoulder, peering down at the parchment she had set before her. It was covered in the tight, chicken-scratch scrawl of Sizet’s writing, her already-messy calligraphy distorted further by the effect of lingering wounds; crossed-through paragraphs of failed attempts jostled with crude tables and lists of letters for space, all surrounded by small blotches of ink.

“It’s a letter of some kind,” Sizet pointed to the words scrawled on the scavenged parchment before her, one scarred finger tracing across the page as she spoke. “An order instructing someone to hide underground, in the “Ustru Slomod”. Maybe a draft; this hand doesn’t look precise, and I doubt this could be accurately written from memory alone.”

Gasin craned his neck for a closer look at Sizet’s translation, black eyes narrowing as he took in the words scrawled upon the parchment. “And what of the second paragraph?”

Sizet’s features creased in answer, before tightening into an outright grimace as she returned her attention to the diary.

“No. It’s written in a different code to the first – something more complex.” She stabbed one finger at the passage, glaring at the words as though they personally affronted her. “I’ve tried to break it with the same key and a few others besides, but I’ve not come an inch closer to understanding what it says.”

“That is… regrettable, indeed.” Gasin shook his head, as if attempting to clear his thoughts. “But – no matter. We have no further business here; we must resume our pursuit, before the trail grows cold again.”

If it has not already, went unsaid. Gencesh had recovered enough to travel, at least, but he had been able to say little of the strange old man’s motivations or seeming connection to the Sage that the inquisitor sought with such fury; all he knew was the calamity that he had been responsible for unleashing upon the small hamlet, and the desire for vengeance against the creature responsible. The last few days had no doubt given the fleeing Sage quite the window of escape, and the knowledge they had gained from the hamlet’s ruins was little.

“You know what it was referring to?”

Gasin gave a light motion of his shoulders in reply. He seemed subdued, compare to the furious energy he had earlier displayed; more thoughtful. “I have my suspicions. There are only so many places one might reach from here, without crossing the Tundra. And that name - Ustru Slomod – is one that I recall.”

“Aye?” Hathur chimed in from the sidelines, peering inquisitively at Gasin. “How so?”

“It is a term in the language of the greenskins – the Dead Pits.” Dubmith chimed into the conversation, stepping forward from her perch at the edge of the table to join the discussion. Her brow furrowed slightly as she thought. It had been some years since she had studied the greenskins’ religious texts and, and even then, they were all too specific to one sect. Dubmith could only hope that the translation was an accurate one, lest her error cause them to lose the trail entirely. “A term for their foul underworld; a place where damned souls meet their fate.”

“Ominious.” Mori’s voice was dry, her eyes blinking slowly as her tired brain took in her compatriot’s words. “Yet hardly of much use in re-finding the trail.”

“Quite the opposite.” Dubmith retorted, nodding back toward the map spread out beside the diary. Her eyes fixed in particular on a dark purple smear, just beyond the discoloured expanse that marked the Tundra of Heroes. “If my theory is correct, it might just lead us right to his doorstep…”

“…And that theory would be, lady Claspedcastles?” Gasin turned his head to face his comrade, eyebrow raised in curiosity and his features calm; nonetheless, the tension in his shoulders and legs betrayed his feelings.

Dubmith opened her mouth to reply, but whatever she had been about to say was interrupted by the steady thudding of approaching feet. He and Mori snapped around as one, immediately wary and searching for the source of the sound. The answer came in the form of Luki emerging from behind one of the buildings at a run, her bow and quiver bouncing against her back with each step as she approached the two of them, skidding to a halt on the rain-sodden ground.

“There’s tracks nearby.” She announced without preamble, cutting Gasin off before a word could come out of his mouth. “Human ones. Not those of a thrall, neither.”

Hathur sucked in a breath, head snapping around to focus on the ranger. “You’re certain?”

Luki nodded sharply, her entire body tense with the desire to move. She shuffled slightly from one foot to another, leather boots scraping against the stone as she fought to remain still. “Certain. They’re too even to be a thrall’s. Shape’s all wrong for one of the greenskins.”

Hathur grimaced, several unpleasant potentials surfacing in her mind. She chewed her lip slightly, exchanging a glance with the equally grim-faced Gasin. He caught her eye, read the suspicion written across her features, and gave a tiny nod of agreement. Hathur turned back to face her comrade without missing a beat, words already halfway out of her mouth.

“Where?”

Luki merely jerked her head back over her shoulder, half-nodding, half-motioning toward a small gathering of decaying houses near where the hamlet’s ruins met the fields that had once surrounded it. “Follow me; I should be able to find them. And quickly, before it starts raining again.”

“Wait.” A new voice intruded on the conversation. Gencesh had painfully limped his way up the cellar’s stairs, leaning heavily on his cane to help him move up the uneven stone steps. Despite his apparent resilience, they could all see the barely contained flinch on his face as he reached the stairtop, the motion of climbing the stairs tugging sharply at the half-healed wounds scattered across his body. “I’m coming with you.”

“Out of the question!” Dubmith snapped, voice sharp as the crack of a whip. Her usual calm had melted away in a moment at the sight of her patient up and moving. “You’re fit to travel, yes, but this risks putting your wounds under strain for no-!”

“If they’re human,” Gencesh interrupted her mid-sentence, face fixed into a deadly glare. His free hand curled into a fist, the nails almost drawing blood from his palm. “I can think of only a few people it could be. Only one who could have left that kind of track. And if it is that bastard, I want to be certain.”

Dubmith made to argue that he was being a fool and putting himself at unnecessary risk for something even Sizet could tell him second-hand, but thought better of it after a moment. The look in his eyes told her he would not budge on the matter, and every moment that passed was one in which the tracks degraded further. She settled for a disgusted shake of the head and an irritable nod toward the doors.

Perhaps half a minute of swift walking later, the small group was beside the trail that Luki had uncovered – a set of deep, heavy-tread footprints in the wet soil, distorted by the weather but still comprehensible to a trained eye.

“These tracks…” Luki murmured, leaning her body downward to peer closer at the footprints. After a few seconds spent in appraisal, she nodded to herself and arose, turning to face Gasin. “They’re a few days old – perhaps older. Hard to tell with how the rain and snow’s been at them.” She raised a hand to point directly ahead. “They’re leading northwards.”

Gasin hissed like a thoughtful kettle, his eyes fire bright as he processed Luki’s words. “Northwards… northwards! Yes, of course! Of course!” He wheeled about, jabbing a finger into the air. “The citadels north of here – the dark pits! The seat of power for the goblins of The Most Sin, and the dark pits that encircle it! That’s where the traitor is fleeing toward!”

“So… he turned on us, and now he runs to the greenskins?” Gencesh rasped, stumping forward with the aid of his makeshift crutch to stand beside Gasin. “Why? How does that make sense?”

“It makes all too much sense, master Lipdrilled,” Dubmith intoned. Her pale features were alight with nervous energy, eyes dancing back and forth across the parchment as she set to work tracing a path from their location to the black smear of the goblins’ pits. “The greenskins are often friendly to none – but given coin or power enough, they’ll welcome an outsider without a blink. If that thrice-damned traitor can reach their pits –”

“It’ll be like digging out a bloody flea.” Mori finished for her, features twisting into a tight grimace. “No way they’ll give him up, and with how many of them there are to search, you’d be looking for weeks on end. He’d vanish quicker’n a fly can spit.”

“Precisely!” Gasin wheeled about to face Mori, nodding eagerly. Some of his earlier bombast had returned with the discovery of the tracks, imbuing his motions with some of the furious energy he had displayed before the pyre in Channeltwigs. Though the wound in his side must have been shrieking with every movement, he showed no sign of pain in his features, seemingly inured to it by the excitement of the discovery. “And even then – even if they turn him away – pits destroyed by long-ago conflict surround the citadels in a belt. A network of catacombs and barren trenches, long emptied of any living soul…”

“The Dead Pits.” Dubmith murmured, her voice barely above a murmur.

Gencesh swore aloud as he caught onto the implications hanging on the edge of their respective words. The haft of his makeshift crutch creaked gently under the force of his suddenly white-knuckled grip, splinters digging into the flesh of his palm. “And with no-one there to find him, or stop the dead from rising again in mass.”

A long moment passed as the rest of the group considered the implications of that statement, followed by a singular ripple of reaction at the images it generated. For the moment, any enmity was forgotten in favour of a unifying horror at the thought of hundred of risen trolls and greenskins pouring out from the pits in a mindless wave of murderous flesh, swarming across the barren wastes of the Tundra of Heroes and rushing forward to engulf the battered Omon Obin in a third tide of violence.

“Teeth of the gods...” Luki murmured softly. She shifted from foot to foot, visibly nervous and itching with the desire to move. “We need to go, then – and quickly.”

“Aye, that we shall.” Gasin nodded his head back toward the hall. “Gather your equipment and prepare to move north.”

His gloved fingers tightened into fists, the velvet fabric bunching heavily from the force of his grip.

“For the Realm.”
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:24:20 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: May 06, 2023, 06:26:19 pm »

The spires of the dark pits rose high ahead of them, forming a forest of black and grey pillars. Around them, trenches and ditches spidered across the landscape, connecting the towers and their associated caverns to one another. There must have been two dozen in this section of the sprawl alone, stretching as far as the horizon was wide; no doubt there were more behind them, hidden by the curve of the hills and ahead.

It would have been an intimidating sight, in brighter days. But now the towers were abandoned, the trenches devoid of life. No sentries stood to challenge Gasin and his group as they crept across the frosty fields before the pits, toward the silty slopes that marked the front of the pit’s outer trenches. The towers bore signs of prolonged and sordid neglect, their stone pock-marked with the signs of weathering and thick beards of clinging moss. A few were in a state of outright collapse, their battlements worn down to stubs and sections of them sloughing away into rubble; one had even been reduced to little more than a mound of shattered stone and twisted wood.

Even so, they went cautiously. The pits may have appeared desolate, but appearances were often deceiving. Gods alone knew what could be hiding in the wreckage of the towers, the black tunnels beneath the earth.

They moved in a loose diamond, aiming to cover every side in the case of thrall attack. Gasin and Thadar were at the front, sword and axe in hand, their eyes flicking warily from one shadowed doorway and pile of rubble to the next; Mori and Hathur guarded their sides. Luki and Dubmith formed the back, the former keeping her bow drawn and nocked while the latter escorted the pair in the centre. Sizet and Gencesh were mobile, but their wounds slowed them down and made them an obvious target for thralls.

Somewhere nearby, there came the noise of rubble shifting. Gasin snapped a hand up, immediately wary. He needn’t have bothered – no sooner than he had made the motion, a thrall burst from beneath one of the rubble piles and lunged toward the group, blistered face contorted and its jaws snapping wildly.

Thadar reacted immediately, sending a two-handed swing arcing toward its head; beside her, Mori wheeled about and swung her hammer at the oncoming thrall, aiming for its chest. The thrall jinked to the side to evade the axe, staggered for a moment amidst the sound of breaking bone as Mori’s hammer slammed into its chest, then resumed its furious charge toward the group with a howl of murderous rage.

The thrall barrelled into Gasin like a runaway cart, bowling over the inquisitor before he could even raise his blade. It sniffed, snorted, teeth gnashing a few inches away from the fallen man’s face – and then, impossibly, it pulled back and turned its head toward the rest of them. The inquisitor took advantage of its distraction to drag himself back upright, driving his sword into the nape of the goblinoid thrall’s neck before wrenching it downward with as much force as he could muster. It fell like a puppet with its strings cut under the force, spine almost completely severed; a second downward stab direct to its forehead finished it off as the sword’s tip penetrated through to the brain.

“There!” Gasin snarled, raising the bloodied tip of his sword to point. There, off in the distance – a tall, humanoid figure, robed in black and hooded to disguise its features. One hand was raised, as though mockingly beckoning them. And it was growing smaller by the moment, retreating back into the shadows of the pits. “After them!”

“No.” Mori growled, turning to give Gasin a black look. Her hand twitched toward her weapon, features sharp. “We need answers. What the hell was that? What did you do?”

Luki placed a hand on Mori’s shoulder with surprising force, meeting the hammerwoman’s sharp glare with a stern look of her own. “Leave it, Mori! We’ve got a chance to take this bastard down!”
Mori gave her a hard look for a moment, before reluctantly nodding. “Fine. But there’ll be words once we’re done here, Luki, you hear me?”

The ranger gave her a hard look of her own, but she slowly nodded and swiftly made to stalk away, moving ahead of the group with her longbow at the ready and an iron arrow nocked.
“I’ll go ahead,” She called over her shoulder, sparing a glance back at them. Already she was on the other side of the trench, scrambling after the cloaked figure with her bow at the ready. “Try and cut the bastard off!”

“Got it!” Hathur responded, her axe already in her hands. “Sizet, Mori, go after her – and keep an eye out for anything –”

“Incoming!” She heard Luki shout, and the note of fear in the archer’s voice did not escape her. “Ten- no, twenty – Bikda preserve us, all of them! Coming straight at us!”

The stream of curses from several of the party’s members turned the air sulphurous. Within moments they were in motion, scrambling up the semi-solid sides of the loam trenches toward the sound of their archer’s voice. The group reached the trench’s top with their weapons drawn and their stances tense, burning with readiness to fight whatever had scared their archer into abandoning her pursuit.
The sight that met them was enough to stop them cold. 

The horde they had faced before at Channeltwigs was little more than a scouting party compared to this. It was not so much a crowd so much as a wave, or a singular mass. Dozens of goblins, maybe hundreds, all rising up from the network of trenches and tunnels that belonged to the dark pits. Not just those of this one – more were pouring in all the while, staggering out of the dark where Fridgiddungeon’s borders met those of its neighbouring bits, crawling through the trenchworks to join the attack.

The first few were close enough for them to see, now. A tallish goblinoid in the faded remnants of robes, its face still bearing shreds of a beard. Small, wiry figures, their decaying features stained with dirt. Hunched, twitching things, leaking necrotic fluids and trailing streamers of decayed flesh. Brutes of muscle and gore, dragging rusted tangles of metal in stiff hands, broken tusks projecting to the sides of their jutting jaws. Line after line of skeletons, some goblinoid or troll, others quadrupedal and beaked. Jaws snapped open and shut with sharp metallic clicks, nostrils flaring as though they were trying to taste the air.

“For Omon Obin!” Someone shouted.

There was no opportunity for more. The dead surged forward, and it was all the living could do to keep them at bay.

The corpses came at him on all sides, less a group and move a wave of moving flesh. They were smaller than thralls, and slower, too, but what they lacked in size and speed they made up for with strength and solidity. He’d taken the limbs off half-a-dozen decaying corpses already, the old woodsman’s axe rending rotten flesh from bone surprisingly well, but they barely seemed to register the hurts done to them. Any who fell were simply trampled underfoot, or else borne up by the motion of their fellows through the tight confines of the trench to resume the attack.

Most of them were in abysmal shape, their flesh rotting away to expose magically animated bones or crawling forward on slicks of rot and leaking bodily fluids; others were thrashing face down in the silt and mud, too damaged to do much more than flail about. Despite that, they were getting the better of him. His still-healing knee had been further wounded by a lucky kick, locking to become a cold lump of agony and his right shoulder was bleeding profusely where one of the undead goblins had raked him with the sharpened bone of a limb-stump; his chest burned with exertion, each breath coming as a strained gasp. The death-grip on his cane was barely keeping him upright as he staggered away from the horde, struggling to blink the sweat and blood out of his eyes.

Gencesh Lipdrilled cast a gaze around himself, grimacing. The loamy soil of the trenches was slick with blood and rain, making it difficult for him to stay on his feet. He couldn’t see any of his allies; the horde had cut them off from one another within the first few minutes. Still, the muffled sounds of cracking bone and iron meeting iron were at least vaguely encouraging.

Gritting his teeth, he dug his battered cane into the ground and forced himself to keep limping forward through the trenches, trying not to stumble on the unstable ground.

A hand closed around his throat. It belonged to one of the corpses – a goblin in the tatty remains of leather armour, its body half-buried in the mud and silt of the trench wall. It had the rotting, bloated remains of its arm and hand clamped around his throat like a vice, still trying to bring him down despite its terribly damaged state.

Gencesh swore and struggled furiously against the hand wrapped around his throat, striking at its chest as the creature hauled for all it was worth. Fortunately for him, that was not very much – its stiffened fingers were still strong around his throat, but he could feel them beginning to loosen with each blow. Snarling, he rammed an elbow into its chest, repeating the motion with as much of his weight as he could muster as he felt bone crack and rotten organs beginning to pulp. Its grip began to loosen as the force split the tendons in its arm, but the corpse leaned closer to him, fetid saliva dripping from its rotting maw. Its teeth scraped against Gencesh’s cheek as he jerked his head away, leaving its teeth to snap closed on thin air with a metallic click; he retaliated with a thunderous headbutt that loosened several teeth and sent blood arcing through the air.

The creature’s arm finally gave out with a wet crack as it tried to pull him back toward it, the rotting limb falling to the sodden dirt. Gencesh staggered away from the trapped corpse, leg shrieking as he put too much weight on it, and rammed the haft of his axe into its head, over and over again until the goblin’s corpse finally ceased its struggling. No sooner than it had stilled, however, another came barrelling around the corner toward him – a fresher one, its blood-drained skin and severed throat the only signs of its unearthly nature. It came at him with windmilling arms, teeth snapping mindlessly at the air as it charged toward him.

Gencesh gritted his teeth and made to step forward and swing his axe, only for his leg to painfully lock up mid-motion, sending him shrieking into the soil. His vision blurred, head pounding with the force of pain. The corpse rushed forward toward where he lay, one necrotic hand reaching out to seize hold of him while its maw yawned open to give him a clear view of its blunt, yellowing teeth.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted something towering and dark rise up at the lip of the trench, then suddenly spring up into the air.

The dark mass landed on the corpse with its full weight, driving it to the ground amidst the sound of cracking bone. The corpse snarled, viscous, black blood bubbling from between its lips as it thrashed facedown in the dirt; it was trying to free itself from the weight on its back, with little success. As the figure’s axe flashed down to relieve the shambling corpse of its arm, Gencesh found himself recognising Thadar as his rescuer, the inquisitor’s retainer having leapt down from the higher trench to drive back her wounded comrade’s attacker. Something surged in his chest and Gencesh re-joined the attack with renewed energy, his makeshift crutch flying out to jar the walking corpse’s head to an odd angle; his axe’s follow-up underarm swing split the skull apart as easily as dried firewood.

“Their threat is from numbers, not from strength,” Her voice was stern as she dragged Gencesh back to his feet, steadying him. “Don’t let yourself be surrounded like that, or I won’t be able to pull your arse out the fire again.”

“Got it,” The axeman managed a shaky nod, sucking in a deep breath of air. Her appearance backed up her words: Thadar’s armour had been badly scratched and dented by nails and teeth, while her nose was streaming blood and a livid bruise was beginning to form along one cheek. “What about the others? Did y’see them?”

Thadar grimaced, wiping some of the blood away as she began marching further down the trench. Gencesh hastened to keep up with her, forcing himself to raise his axe to one shoulder as he went. “The boss, for certain. The others, no clue. This’s all gone pear-shaped, and fast.”

“Ain’t that the truth.” Gencesh growled. Then, much more sharply, and with widening eye: “Watch out!”

Thadar, acting on instinct more than anything else, scrambled to the side as something else came skidding across the trench’s ground. A dusty, battered mass of cloth and metal, tumbling over repeatedly before coming to a stop at their feet. It groaned and rolled over, revealing the deadpan, bruised features of a familiar face.

“Hey,” Sizet flashed her a battered grin from her position on the ground. One arm raised to point past her, toward the direction she had come flying from. “Might want to deal with that.”

“What the f-!”

Thadar’s curse was cut off mid-word as the lumbering corpse of a troll emerged around the trench’s corner. One of its tusks had been broken off and the long shaft of a spear projected from its back, while its right arm was twisted and broken at the shoulder, a bluish stub of bone protruding from the skin and fur. It let out a low, rumbling growl at the sight of them and began to build speed, legs hammering the ground as it charged the three of them.

Thadar’s blow took the undamaged arm off the lumbering troll corpse staggering toward the three of them, and a second strike from Gencesh crippled its leg. The troll staggered with a deep, low groaning noise and almost toppled as its leg abruptly gave out beneath it, one clawed fist swiping at Gencesh as it sought to steady itself. Sizet took advantage of the distraction, slipping past its guard as it sent a punch into the soil beside Gencesh’s head and scrambling up its shaggy back to seize her spear’s haft and tear it loose from the muscle and fur of the troll’s back. Weapon in hand, teeth gritted, she stabbed down into the back of its neck.

The first thrust of the spear punched the tip out through its jaws from behind, breaking several teeth away as it went; the creature bucked wildly, trying to shake her off, but it was too late. Thadar had already drawn her weapon back again, and smoothly decapitated the troll with a double-handed blow to the neck. Sizet threw herself off its back as the creature’s body folded to the earth like a puppet with its strings cut, pulling her spear loose as she went and landing off to the side with a grunt of effort.

“These tough bastards are all over the place,” Sizet remarked, conversationally. She poked the corpse with her salvaged spear to emphasise her words, already searching for her axe. “Seems like every last one of ‘em decided they want a piece of us.”

“Gods’ teeth,” Gencesh hissed in reply, gritting his teeth as another flare of pain travelled up his still-weak leg. “What about – what about the thralls? Were there -?”

A shake of her head, with a note of unmistakable relief to the motion. “Nah. Didn’t see any on the way here. I was tryin’ to find the rest of us when it came at me.”

“Then we should go together.” Thadar responded, voice firm. She hefted her axe onto one shoulder,  grimacing slightly as the motion tugged at the bruises one of the corpses had given to her. “Find them, before these bastards can overwhelm them.”

“Aye, but where are they?” Gencesh tilted his head to the side, wincing slightly. “F’r all any of us know –”

“Wait.” Sizet cut him off suddenly, her voice urgent. “Do you hear that?”

Silence fell, and they listened. There – in the distance! The sound of steel on steel, shouted curses and animalistic roaring. The unmistakable sound of battle.

No further words were needed. Thadar swiftly climbed up the steep wall of the trench, extending an arm back down to help pull Gencesh up; Sizet was able to handle it on her own, using her axe as a form of leverage. The trio scrambled across the loamy soil, following the sounds of distant combat to their source. Hauling Gencesh up behind her with her free arm, Thadar swore aloud as she and her compatriots found herself face-to-face with the source of the sounds.

The rest of their group had been driven back to something like a raised mesa among the trenches, surrounded on all sides by the surging tides of undead. Gasin and Hathur were leading the defence to the northern end, sword and axe flashing out constantly to relieve the lumbering dead of their limbs, or to cut through decaying bone and send bodies crashing to the loam underfoot. Opposite them, Dubmith and Mori were holding the south, sending shards of pulverized bone and whole limbs left and right; Sizet could not help but be surprised at the fury with which the normally reserved priestess of Bikda was fighting. Luki was in the centre; with her bow of limited use in such conditions, she had resorted to using her copper sword to poke at any corpse that came too close to breaking into the group.

“Come on, then!” Thadar veritably roared, half-sliding down the loamy slope to engage the nearest undead. “Come on!”

One goblinoid skeleton turned right in time to be physically shattered apart as she barrelled into it; another, this one still with shreds of flesh clinging to its fungus-infested bones, turned in time for her axe to split it in half from crown to breastbone. Sizet and Gencesh followed behind at a slower pace, the former finishing off a downed corpse with a strong blow from her axe while the latter’s cane sent a hunched mass of gristle and bone flying into one of the walls. Their assault energized the defenders, their blows growing stronger and more furious.

The battle passed in a blur of bloodshed and violence. The dead seemed without end; as soon as one corpse fell, hacked into bloody chunks or pulped beyond recognition by hammers, another would approach to take its place. Trolls, goblins, beak dogs, and creatures too rotten or mutilated to be identifiable swarmed toward them, and fell just as quickly. Limbs burned with exertion; weapon-grips became slick with blood and rot. By the time the last of the onrushing corpses hit the ground in several pieces, the majority of the group were tired to various extents; even Gasin was beginning to show the strain, sweat dripping from his brow with each motion of his arm.

Despite that, they pressed on. Gasin was adamant that they had to – with the horde of undead destroyed, the way to the heart of the dark pit was open. Nothing could have survived the twin blows of the old conflicts and the undead that now ravaged the place. True to his words, nothing seemed to stir in the trenches as the ragged group walked through them toward the central towers.
It happened almost in slow motion. Luki, halfway through moving through to the next section of trench. A single living sentry in battered-looking armour, head turning at exactly the wrong moment.  His eyes flared at the sight of her; a shriek burst from his throat. Fast as a whip, the goblin shot forward with an iron scimitar raised.

To her credit, Luki did not flinch or miss. She managed to loose an iron arrow before the sentry reached arm’s length, sending him staggering backward with a grunt of pain as the projectile punched through his breastplate and stuck fast in the ribs. Before she could loose another, though, the goblin flung himself forward with surprising ferocity, swinging with his iron scimitar as he came. The blade split through the wood of the bow and severed the string, sending Luki scrambling for the sword strapped to her side as Mori drove the goblin back with a swing from her hammer. The goblin staggered for a moment, unbalanced, but recovered within moments and charged again, sword curving smoothly toward the archer’s right shoulder; Luki rolled out of the way, leaving the blade to sink into the soft soil of the trench’s wall.

Mori swept forward to match the goblin’s charge, slamming her hammer against the goblin’s breastplate. The metal visibly dented inwards under the force of her blow, the goblin staggering back with a muffled curse; her follow-up punch rocked his head back on his shoulders, sending blood gouting from his newly broken nose and the edge of his mouth. Hathur joined the attack as well, her axe flashing out to tear a gash across the goblin’s left arm. The greenskin staggered backwards with a hiss of pain, its shield-arm going limp.

Grunting with the effort, Luki pushed herself upright and gripped her blade with both hands. It had been a long time since she’d had to fight without her bow, and the short sword’s weight in her hands was at once unfamiliar and unwelcome. The goblin eyed her with reptilian malice, tongue darting out to lick the streaming blood away from the corner of his mouth as his features contorted into a sneer. Luki met its gaze with a wary look of her own, eyes darting between his face and the badly-bleeding wound in his side.

The goblin seemed to realize it too, for his slowly-paling features flushed blotchily, and an unintelligible shout left his throat. The sentry rushed Luki in sudden fury, teeth bared and eyes blazing, lurching like a drunkard as the blood loss took its toll. Luki breathed in sharply, raising her sword in readiness to strike at its exposed neck as the sentry came barrelling toward her.

Hathur saw it coming moments before the blow landed. The shift of the limbs; the gleam in its eyes, both belying the intention behind the sudden, seemingly reckless charge. Her screamed warning was halfway out of her mouth when the goblin struck, darting to the side to evade Luki’s swing before whipping around to slam a strong right hook into her jaw. Unbalanced and shocked by the sudden display of prowess from the goblin, Luki staggered under the force of the blow as the goblin closed in once more.

One hand wrapped around her shoulder, bending the arm to prevent proper movement; the other slammed full-force into the side of her throat. Luki toppled without a sound, blood pouring from her mouth and her head falling limply to the side; it rebounded from the dirt as her body gracelessly crashed to the sodden ground. The goblin let out a shrill, cackling screech that sounded almost like mocking laughter before lunging forward and driving down with its scimitar, plunging the blade into her head with one hand and sinking its teeth in, yanking backwards to tear a chunk of flesh away from the side of her head like a wild animal.

Mori rushed past Hathur before she could take a step forward, screaming a wordless, broken cry as she bounded across the corpses and slammed her bronze warhammer’s head into the goblin’s knee. The blow crushed metal and kneecap alike, sending the shrieking goblin to the bloody ground amidst a welter of blood, but the hammerwoman was not yet done; wheeling about, she swung again, snagging the battered length of copper and wood that served as its spear with her hammer’s spike to tear it from its grip entirely. She fell upon the creature, spitting, snarling, howling invective.

The other soldiers from Channelltwigs joined her in moments, storming across the battlefield as though possessed. They did not so much slay the wretched creature so much as rip it apart – Sizet, breaking its leg like kindling with a brutal stamp; Mori, levering its wounded arm free with a wrenching heave; Hathur, slamming an axe down through the bones and muscle of its undamaged arm. It was Hathur who delivered the final blow, striking it with enough force to cut the wretched goblin in half and kicking the tumbling pieces aside as she scrambled to reach Luki’s limp form.

“Dubmith!” She bellowed, voice frantic. “Dubmith!”

Dubmith was at Luki’s side in a moment, drawn either by the sight or the raw panic in the otherwise stoic soldier’s voice. She knelt beside the badly-wounded archer, already setting to work – she checked Luki’s eyes, the great wound in the side of her head, the dent in her throat where the blow had half-crushed her trachea and shaken the bone behind. The doctor did not look up again for some time, and when she did, her face was bloodless and pale as fresh-drawn snow.

“Her throat’s badly damaged - lungs are filling up with blood.” Her voice tremored slightly as her eyes met with Hathur and Mori’s. “I… there’s nothing I can do.”

"Luki..." Mori's voice was hoarse as she leaned down toward her friend. "Can... can you hear me?"

“I hear you.” Luki managed to rasp. Her eyes looked up at them, unfocused. Despite everything, she managed a mirthless smile. “Where’s that… chat now?”

“Luki –”

“Must listen.” She forced her head upright, coughing. Blood spattered the dirt. “This… This place. Sage – the sage.”

“I hear you.” Hathur’s hand tightened around her friend’s, clutching it like a lifeline. “What about him? What about the Sage?”

“He… was here. They – they talked in… in tavern.”

Blood seeped from the edges of her mouth as a cough wracked her slender frame, breaking off into a gasp of pain as it subsided. Gritting her teeth tightly, Luki forged on.

“A week ago,” She rasped. “  A scholar. He… he’s claiming to be a scholar. Going northward.”

“Why?”

“There… there was a… a book. A shelter. Said he had… to… to bring it that place.” Blood frothed between her teeth, her body shuddering violently. “That it would be… safe there, and – and further...”

She forced one arm upright, pointing out into the clouded skies. There, on the horizon – a single, pitch-dark tower of smoothed stone, its crooked peak rising above the others like a fang. Another cough wracked her frame, Luki’s entire body shuddering from the force; her arm fell limply to the dirt, and the ranger’s head lolled back on her neck.

“No,” Hathur mumbled, desperately. She shook her friend, fingers digging into her skin. “No! Don’t you dare give up on us, Luki!”

Her words barely seemed to register with her wounded friend, but they were enough. Digging into reserves of energy she didn’t know she had, Luki managed to grasp Hathur’s forearm with the last of her strength.

“Find… him. End this.” Luki wheezed, baring her bloodied teeth – one last effort at a grin. She squeezed the axewoman’s forearm in the old gesture of good fortune. “For… for Omon…”

She trailed off midway, her hand going slack. Luki’s head lolled back on her neck, eyes glazed and distant. This time, she did not rise again.

“She’s gone.” Dubmith’s voice was soft, barely above a whisper, and laden with quiet regret. Almost hesitantly, her fingers reached out to close Luki’s sightless eyes. Mori bowed her head; Hathur slumped backward, crushing her temples in her hands. Sizet limped forward to stand beside her, and then Thadar. The group gathered around their fallen comrade’s body as one, looking down at the mortal remains of Luki Shakenposts in a shared, muted grief.

“We can’t bury her here. Not in this tainted ground.” Gasin planted his sword point-down in the ground, bowing his head as he went. The brim of his hat hung down, hiding his eyes from sight and shadowing whatever expression his face bore. “Come morning, we’ll send her to the Sunless Realm in fire, and say our prayers for her soul. Then… then we must move on.”

“No…”

The voice was barely above a coarse whisper, but the sheer hatred and anger boiling in that one word was enough to draw the attention of every person still standing.

“These bastards took one of our own,” Mori snarled, eyes flaring in rage as she looked up from her friend’s body. Her hands were trembling with adrenaline and rage and grief as she rose to her feet, stalking forward until she was almost nose-to-nose with Gasin, her face twisted into a fanged mask of utter fury. “They. Need. To pay.”

Gasin’s features hardened and he met Mori stare for stare, knuckles going white as he gripped the handle of his sword. Softly murmured oaths and hisses of indrawn breath filled the air as the others followed suit, hands drifting to rest on their owners’ weapons. Almost unconsciously, they began to gather into their original groups – the soldiers of Channeltwigs on one side, bound by their long-standing camaraderie and grief, and the inquisitor’s retinue on the other, loyal to their master and friend above all else.

“The Sage comes first.” Gasin leaned down slightly, looming over the shorter figure of Mori as his voice took on a sharper edge. “Or have you forgotten the thousands his actions have damned to the pit? To a living death?”

Around them, the group shifted and seethed uncertainly. The members of the band felt the rising tide of aggression boiling around the inquisitor and the soldier as clearly as a physical force. 

“Hang your damned Sage!” Mori roared, now, inches away from Gasin’s face. Her scarred features were apoplectic; with her reddened face, bared teeth, and wide-open eyes, she looked as savage as a thrall or a crazed berserker of old myth. “You were willing to wait for days then, for a half-dead man and a worthless book; now you demand we move on, when one of our own lies dead? To the Dark Forest with that, and with you!”

“Damn you-!”

“If you think such --!”

“I’ll show you half-dead, you overgl-!”

“ENOUGH!”

Dubmith’s roar was enough to silence them all. The young, pale woman had scarce raised her voice in all the time that Gasin had known her, yet now she was storming toward them with her features flushed bright scarlet and one hand on her sword’s hilt, gripping it so tightly the knuckles had gone white. He felt a thrill of shock rush up his side at the sight, unused to the ferocity she had suddenly begun to display.

“Look at yourselves!” Her tone was harsh, yet it carried an almost pleading tone. “We stand with our blades at each other’s throats; aim our anger toward each other! Is this not what the Great Enemy wants of us? Is this not the way wars have been fought, and lost?” Mori opened her mouth to protest, but the black-clad priestess of Bikda silenced her with a glare and continued her oration. “What power does the Abyss have, save that which we grant it ourselves? What weapons, but for lies and base treachery? Those were the words of Senam Plumgraves, one of the wisest of my faith. Each moment we spent here, cursing one another’s recklessness and our losses, we play into the hands of those who we stand against! There are no more than two to blame for this - the thrice-cursed traitor who set us down this path, and the creatures he employs against us!”

She stabbed an accusing finger at Gasin and Mori, still face-to-face with their weapons halfway out of their sheathes. The motion and her blistering gaze froze the two of them in their motion, unable to even move as the priestess of Bikda stalked forward to stand between them.

“I have known loss.” Dubmith’s voice grew quieter, coarser, as she continued to speak. She closed her eyes, regret spreading across her features. “My brethren lie cold, never to enter the Sunless Realm and know the Lord of Night’s embrace. To rage against their ends meant nothing. But to hunt their murderer…”

She trailed off, watching the two of them carefully. After a long, tense moment, Gasin breathed deep and slowly nodded once, letting his gloved fingers fall away from the hilt of his sword. A convulsive shudder wracked his frame as he sucked in a second, shaking breath, as though he was trying to suck the words he had spoken back into his mouth.

“I… I apologise.” He murmured, thinly. He looked downright sickened, his skin paling and his features guilty. “I have allowed my ambition to rule over my sense. I ask for your forgiveness.”

She nodded, half-grudgingly. While her features were still tight with fury, it was at least no longer directed at Gasin. “…It is no matter. So long as this does not go unavenged."

Gasin nodded tightly, before beginning to walk away from the group. The muted sunlight shining through the clouds cast odd shadows across his features, twisting them and lending a ghoulish cast to his wearied expression.

“I will take first watch.” He said, by way of explanation. He did not look back, merely continued to walk until he was some dozen paces from the group, staring out into the darkness of the pits. “And guard against the dead’s return. Tomorrow, after our respects are paid and our thoughts spoken…”

Gasin Crewcanyons the Kindling of Adventures drew his sword from its sheathe, eyes fixed on the distant spires of Dreadruled. His next words came out as a snarl, laden with unmistakable bloodlust and unbridled fury.

“Vengeance.”

And there we go, parts 3-5 of Turn 92. Thankfully I still seem to have the screencaps for the next parts, so they should break up the textual monotony a bit when I can finish writing and posting them. (Assuming I don't lose them as well :<).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:25:43 am by Quantum Drop »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: May 07, 2023, 07:51:42 am »

Epic stuff!

Are you a writer already or wanna be one? Because this is novel level quality. Like I think all that you would have to do to make this open to a wider audience is fill in blanks that non-dwarf fortress players wouldn't know such as the blight.
Fantastic work QD

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: May 07, 2023, 08:46:22 am »

I agree. Love your story. I suspect not all of these brave souls will see a happy ending.

In semi-related note, the Realm of Silver seems to have a new law giver as of 993. A Gloryage sits on the silver throne once more.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: May 08, 2023, 03:46:16 am »

Poor Luki.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: May 08, 2023, 12:56:09 pm »

Poor Luki.
RIP Luki. Not that unlucky, actually, since he died of old age. Last living Gloryage not including Irka, let's see if he survives until Unraveler's turn. Note that, from previous experiences, Luki may not be "dead dead", i.e. if a necromancer were to visit the capital, they might find his body and be able to bring him back. I'm not sure if Luki would want that, but it could happen.

Nooooo, Ulet! I was afraid of that. I still have two dwarves in NewWorld, both of which should have died of old age a long time ago. I worry the capital might "eat them up" when it has need of a Baron. Iroram still crashes, so it was probably not Ulet's fault for it.

Something interesting I've noticed, Treatyseed itself led a successful conquest of Atticmuffins, the first capital of Mong Uthros (the civilization that continues to bolster the most humans in the world) itself in 972. It brought all the animals, and some received names, including some of the giant leopards I bought from the elves (who sadly have since died of old age). This appears to have been a complete NPC action, so my mind is boggled, as this would likely not have happened if I hadn't reclaimed Adilatír's capital.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:08:25 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: May 08, 2023, 01:13:34 pm »

Something interesting I've noticed, Treatyseed itself led a successful conquest of Atticmuffins, the first capital of Mong Uthros (the civilization that continues to bolster the most humans in the world) itself in 972. It brought all the animals, and some received names, including some of the giant leopards I bought from the elves (who sadly have since died of old age). This appears to have been a complete NPC action, so my mind is boggled, as this would likely not have happened if I hadn't reclaimed Adilatír's capital.

Yes. This, annoyingly, happened literally days after my elf Mong Uthros adventurer reclaimed Atticmuffins from the religion full of Hand of Planegift thralls and the Greatest Attic of Muffins (High Confederacies).

Various inhabitants were gored to death by donkeys and such. Very odd.

Mong Uthros will rise again!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: May 08, 2023, 04:35:09 pm »

Here is the save game.
link

Size is currently 465 MB. Good luck Broken!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 08, 2023, 06:36:54 pm »

Well Broken, you could end up with the most auspicious of turns - the turn of the millenium.

... no pressure.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 263