Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 20177 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. Preorder Beta starts Nov. 17th. Full release on Nov. 30th.
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2022, 09:44:23 pm »

I didn't end up doing the demo, but super looking forward to this based on the gameplay I've seen.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2022, 11:05:19 pm »

That's probably the coolest depiction of warp travel I've seen. Also nice callback to the first ever trailer.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2022, 07:20:53 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0
milkandcookiesTW video showing off, I think, a build between the one we're getting on the 17th and the publicly available Beta 2 build.

Shows off several new weapons, levels and content but it's more a new player introduction video than a feature showcase for those having played Beta 2.

Still, there's lots of great stuff in there for old eyes to see. The Psykhanium as a training ground/weapon testing center is improved from its VT2 counterpart. You can spawn actual enemies from the game, swap equipment around and a few other things. Unclear if you'll be able to activate the AI and actually fight them there, but it still beats shooting at two different kinds of target dummies. Not only did this allay one of my biggest concerns from Beta 2, but it also means you can actually ADMIRE the models in these games without needing to get a 3rd party tool. I still couldn't tell you the finer details of many VT2 enemies because I've only ever seen them at the end of my sword. But now you can stop and smell the uh.....well, maybe stop and gaze at all the.....ewwwwww. You get the drift.

The video showed off the Bolter, the Eviscerator, the Plasma Gun and several other weapons that weren't in Beta 2.

The video also said that the Pre-Order Beta won't feature all content that release will have (obviously.) But that updates to the Preorder Beta will introduce new content in the two weeks leading up to release. Kind of.....strange that. Two weeks isn't much time to identify and troubleshooot a whole game worth of bugs. Kind of makes me wonder if we're testing half this stuff for the first time in the Preorder Beta.

Anyways, just 2.5 more days until the purging begins!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 07:53:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2022, 09:00:51 pm »

I predict that this release will be a hot mess. But hopefully a fun hot mess.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2022, 12:27:29 pm »

Preorder Beta Download times:

US East Coast: 1 pm EST
US West Coast: 10 am PST
UK: 6 pm GMT
Europe: 8 pm CEST
Japan: 3 am JST (November 18)
Australia: 5 am AEDT (November 18)
New Zealand: 7 am NZDT (November 18)

Per PC gamer. There will be no preload for this one, alas.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2022, 04:53:44 pm »

Some details about what to expect throughout the beta:
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/pre-order-beta-what-to-expect

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2022, 06:54:58 pm »

Well since you beat me to posting that, I offer this instead:

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/dev-blog-performance
(Skip to the bottom section if you want a detailed breakdown of pretty much all the graphics options, what they mean and what kind of performance impact they have. I may not read the dev blogs for a lot of games I'm going to play, but this seems like going above and beyond.)

The wait is killing me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:40:52 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. All Convicts to the Embarkation Deck. Releases Nov. 30th.
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2022, 03:02:57 pm »

Cool prologue. Very 40k appropriate. A little hammy in some places but overall great.

Sadly I'm getting backend errors now and can't log in.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2022, 03:55:32 pm »

If it's Vermintide-like, I'll want to play it, but not enough to pay more than 20%. Vermintide is a great game until 3 hours in when you've done everything.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2022, 04:21:32 pm »

It'll be in the xbox/pc microsoft gamepass subscription thing, so if you don't mind potentially being 'stuck' on that storefront you could do a single month subscription to play it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2022, 06:22:30 pm »

Depends on what you consider seeing it all is. All the levels in 3 hours? Maybe? Each run is 20 to 25 minutes even on the lowest difficulty. If you're talking weapons and cosmetics and yadda yadda, then serious hours. At least 40 for the weapons for one class I would think.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2022, 05:35:30 am »

Welp, after about 12 solid hours of purging....

It's great.

They fixed or touched on most of the things in the last Beta that had me concerned.

-Your strike team members show up in your own lobby.
-You can dodge with guns now, they just kinda have crappy dodge compared to melee weapons.
-It's a little easier to compare weapons to each other now.
-Relatively few crashes or disconnects all said and done.
-Good weapon testing ground now.
-Better looking UI in a lot of places.
-Some but not all basic settings added in.
-Some of the in-game cutscenes are cleaned up.

And there's more content now like Okri's Challenge-style achievements with cosmetic rewards at the end of them, somewhat more cosmetics, more weapons, a few new missions types. Cutscenes roughly every few major levels to clue you in to some new thing you unlocked. There's a currently busted/unfinished barber for your changing your appearance.

Overall the game feels a bit harder. We spent a lot of hours at Rank 1 difficulty. It wasn't overly hard but it was still engaging. There's no shortage of enemies at that difficulty so you get to do plenty of killin. And you can get in trouble if you fall asleep at the wheel. But there's a lot of things that don't show up that that difficulty like secondary objectives and some enemies.

But Rank 2 is noticeably harder while not worth a ton more coin and xp than Rank 1. Rank 3 is a pretty big jump up from Rank 2 in pretty much all areas.

We did get through some Rank 3 missions tonight. I've hit Trust Level 15 and I think the game's difficulty is pretty heavily dependent on the power rating of your weapons versus the difficulty level you're attempting and not much else. Unfortunately they don't do a good job of explaining what your overall power level is like in VT2, and what that affects. It seemingly is like VT2, in that the three extra charm/trinket/what have you slots carry a power level, implying it contributes to some overall pool.

Progression seems kinda slow. Because what weapons you can buy easily only change about every 45 minutes, progression kind of lurches along in fits and spurts. Especially if you're sticking with a weapon you like. DT is perhaps a little stingy with gear. There's no crafting system that I've seen so far, so weapons you don't use you just recycle into money to buy more weapons with.

One somewhat annoying thing they still haven't fixed though is various settings literally getting changed mid with the player not doing it themselves. Mouse-sensitivity, input settings, HUD settings, they just change mid game. I noticed it with my HUD scaling because the HUD would start getting all buggy with where it was displaying stuff, often pushing my lifebar off the screen. If I pop into options and change even 1% scaling, it snaps back to true.

All in all I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's a very satisfying "Tide" experience. Looking forward to more stuff getting added to the beta in the next few weeks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2022, 10:59:04 am »

I only got in two missions last night, but my initial experience was pretty good. A bit of lag on the second mission for some reason, but overall no major issues.

I was doing 1 bar difficulty missions, but we still lost against a boss on the first mission I did. So that slowed my progression, but I did get to loyalty level 2 after the next mission that we succeeded on.

Psyker is...ok? Did not like the starting gun much, and the Brain Blast ability feels a bit hard to use sometimes, but the knockdown wave is very handy and I generally felt perfectly capable in fights overall. I was able to buy a much nicer autogun before logging off, so I'm hoping my next run I feel more effective.

I may enjoy the Veteran more, I'll have to try that out. But I think I'll give the Psyker a bit longer before I sink time into another character.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2022, 04:39:22 pm »

Well today has started off a bit rockier. Got one game in before matchmaking stopped working, and after restarting, now there are no hub instances to connect to.

The Tech Priests are hard at work, I'm sure.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18