Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 20160 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins! Scrap Code Edition
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2022, 03:35:31 pm »

Ah, I just read the plasma line wrong and thought it was a nerf to ammo capacity while buffing the other stuff.

Veteran is the one class I haven't played at all, so can't really speak to it, but did hear the plasma gun was too fiddly to be useful.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2022, 03:57:07 pm »

Nonsense. It's God Tier on Malice. It's still good on Heresy, the increased HP on enemies means that you'll wrestle with overheat a lot more.

But even on Heresy, it's generally a 1 shot kill for trash, a 2 to 3 shot kill on human sized elites, a 3 to 4 shot kill on some select specials, and a 5 shot kill on Ogryns.

And that's before the Charged Shot. The Charged Shot cuts all those numbers in half, and will knock down anything still alive after the shot hits.

No, it won't sustain fire against an entire horde for very long. But that's not its role. It's a sniper rifle that penetrates cover. Or a railgun is perhaps more accurate. If someone wants to run and gun, yeah they'd describe it as fiddly compared to the bolter or autogun or lasgun. But if you're hunting priority targets, it is second only to the Bolter.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:23:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2022, 04:04:58 pm »

The boltgun having a nicer equip animation sounds good. Swapping to it was always a massive pain.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2022, 04:07:08 pm »

The boltgun having a nicer equip animation sounds good. Swapping to it was always a massive pain.

It was the reason I stopped using it and went to the Plasma Gun. Dealing with that animation 100 times a mission was just too much.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins! The Emperor Expects Edition
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2022, 05:06:30 pm »

I'll have to mess around with the Plasma Gun after this patch.

My issue with it was that it was always secondary to the Bolter. Fun gun, but ultimately just marginally better at taking out elites/specials while being worse in most other situations. I'm hoping the buffs make actively better than the Bolter is some situations to really make it worth taking.

Though, in fairness, I haven't gotten any really good Plasma Guns, so I may be comparing mediocre to decent as far as weapon quality goes. But it didn't do well enough to make me want to hunt down a better one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins! The Emperor Expects Edition
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2022, 07:17:28 pm »

The Bolter is good, don't get me wrong. But it has shit ammo capacity and has no better horde sustain than the Plasma Gun because of that. I hate the double shot primary fire, it feels like wasted ammunition half the time. The Bolter is however an ADS murderer of elites and armored targets, sans the knockdown and sans the heat management. I don't know if the two can truly be compared, but in my mind they're so close that it comes down to a flavor decision. After the bolter ready up animation rework, my opinion may change. But for my money, the Plasma Gun is just the cooler weapon.

Also I cannot understate how good the combination of pinpoint accuracy and cover penetration is. On Heresy when everyone is bogged down by ranged fire and doesn't want to stick their head up for fear of it getting blown off, the ability to just aim at obnoxious enemies way the hell away in cover and frag them with a single shot makes it superior to the Bolter and basically all other ranged weapons. When las and autogun squads typically spawn in packs of 12-14 guys and hunker down in cover, I can kill about half of them before the Plasma Gun needs to cool down. It's a slower and more methodical ranged weapon than anything else the the Veteran can use. It makes you ask "what's worth my time to shoot." And that starts to matter a lot on Heresy difficulty. Sniper all the way across the room taking cover behind some crates? No worries. Sharpshooter Special, then aim for the center of the yellow guy and kill.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:26:38 pm by nenjin »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2022, 01:48:49 am »

I'm still on team bolter :P . Your per-full-ammo-load damage is through the roof, your per-magazine damage is frankly silly, every shot staggers (and damages) MULTIPLE enemies if you hit them with it, to the point that if you spray a 15-round mag into a horde you'll kill 15-20 targets and leave the rest stunned on the ground, single target fire lets you just wipe the floor with anything no matter how much armor it's wearing, and if you're in trouble or just get up relatively close to a tough target or boss you can just depress the giggle switch and watch your troubles disappear in a hail of minirockets and heretic-flavored shrapnel.

Plus, I love the feel of the bolter and its slow and authoritative reload animation and sound (admittedly mine has an absolutely garbage 27% reload rate which plays into the feel). Also thank goodness that I might not have to rack the bolt every time I arm the bolter...because that's not how guns work and it really bothers me, even if I do understand and agree with the idea that the bolter shouldn't be a fast weapon to draw.

And yeah, the bolter does struggle a bit, theoretically speaking, with hordes, but I mostly play Zealot right now and so I only use it on hordes when a teammate needs time to recover since, again, it will stagger/knock down everything in the horde with a good burst. Everything else is just heavy eviscerator melee.

I really like the idea that the plasma gun might become a more specialized antimateriel weapon that just wipes out single targets even behind cover but doesn't do as much to hordes. Hopefully they continue to lean more and more into differentiation rather than by-the-numbers balancing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2022, 10:39:37 am »

I think the Bolter tends to have a bit too much splash damage while I think the Plasma Gun lacks some it deserves. Other than that I think the two weapons are in good places.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2022, 10:53:46 am »

My vet still just uses high damage/reliable kantrael lasgun. Maybe at Malice and higher it falls off but in heresy it can still pop most specials and elites in one headshot from across the map.  I didn't like bolter on vet, the bigass ironsights made it hard to line up headshots and it had too much recoil to easily kill with bodyshots outside close range
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2022, 11:11:33 am »

The Kantrael is super solid, always surprised using it even on a non-vet how effective it is.

But it lacks the materiel penetration which, when 5 guys are shooting at you from cover and then ducking back, you don't really have the time or toughness to line up shots.

I think the lack of any real sights for guns is why I gravitate toward the Plasma Gun still. You just don't really have to try that hard to aim it, because it has almost no shot deviation over any range, so it makes for great snap shots which only become more necessary the higher up in difficulty you go.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2022, 11:12:39 am »

Also chatter on the forum is that several things from the patch aren't live. After it was pushed back a day. Apparently the 2400 Aquila package they said they'd add still isn't there. Not that I was looking for it, but if something that simple got flubbed.....

Gotta say too. Fatshark "Fans" are absolutely ruthless in their forums. People say Steam is a cesspit and while the volume of garbage to quality is better on their own forums, I honestly think there's way more venom from the core fans than the average playerbase.

I know they deserve plenty of shit for this release, but some of the posts make me question why people are even bothering at this point.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 11:14:25 am by nenjin »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »

The discord's subchannels (e.g. the different class channels) are generally okay, but the general chat is just a cesspit of corruption.

Anyhoo, psyker either got 'stealth nerfs' or a bunch of bad bugs in their class relating to peril and some other bits and pieces, and the new vfx for the lightning staff is reportedly eye-searingly problematic. Edit: the peril changes are confirmed as bugs, thankfully.

Edit: Actual patch notes. Force sword buff is mysteriously missing (edit: reclassified to a vfx change only, which is kind of odd since it's a vfx for something that doesn't really happen?), thunder hammer buff acknowledged as accidentally left out, heavy sword buff instead of eviscerator buff.

Edit edit: and purge staff got stealth-buffed? The more I look at the discord discussions the more it seems like things are just sort of all over the place.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 05:12:05 pm by Dostoevsky »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2022, 02:56:24 pm »

The frontlines in the War for Tertium against Chaos is apparently in the Fatshark studios.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2022, 05:01:08 pm »

Definitely enjoyed the bolter over the plasma gun for veteran, and the fix to the animation makes it even better.

Running plasma may be good if you don't have a dedicated anti-armor person, but I feel it basically turns you into an ammo-using, worse version of a psyker. It just felt... not great to use, even if it was thematically appropriate and ridiculously powerful in certain situations.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 05:02:43 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2022, 05:41:37 pm »

the new vfx for the lightning staff is reportedly eye-searingly problematic

Yeah...I don't suffer from seizures or know much about them, but I feel like the danger levels increased about 10x with this patch.
Aside from the flashing lights, they've added heat-distortion around the lightning, as well as flair at the edges of the screen for peril and corruption. In a game where it was already difficult to see anything due to all the graphical special effect overload, I really do not appreciate them piling even more on top.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18