Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!  (Read 20152 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins! The Emperor Expects Edition
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2022, 06:15:31 pm »

I remember that Vermintide 2 had an option to turn off those visual effects. I left them on to make the game more thematic, then turned them off after I managed to cover ~80% of my screen with blood splatters and couldn't tell where I was going.

I assume they carried that option forward.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. The War for Tertium Hive begins! The Emperor Expects Edition
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2022, 10:29:29 pm »

Even if they did....Darktide is an assault on the senses. Dark environments, high contrast colored lighting, smoke, fog, shadows, gunfire, explosions, whatever you'd classify its music as (industrial gothic?).....seriously after like 4 games of Heresy, my eyes burn and my reactions are shot. For me there's always been a gradient of performance over time on VT2. I personally can't stay dialed in at Legend and Cataclysm for hours on end, my brain just gets lazy and tired after a while. Darktide for me is that, but even moreso. Especially after the High Intensity modifier on Heresy where I think I forget to blink for minutes at a time in a 50 minute long mission.

And then they add a strobe light to it. I did one run where someone was using the staff and didn't notice it too much. But when I did I really noticed it. I can't even imagine using the staff.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:31:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2022, 11:37:09 pm »

Just hopped on and tried it, and... to be entirely kind of honest, I kind of like the new surge vfx? But I have the brightness turned kind of low. Though the UI effects for the user make things really mushy.

Headhunter buff is sort of nice - the gun finally has actual reasonable handling and feels decent to use, but stat-wise it's still pretty much inferior to using a lasgun.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2022, 11:46:01 pm »

My ogryn switched over from the billy club to the added power maul and I think I prefer using that. I actually use the special on the power maul and the single hit light and sweep heavy works pretty well for me.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2022, 12:15:02 am »

I take it back, used the surge staff in an actual mission instead of the simulator and... sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks unchanged, and sometimes it's absolutely terrible and awful. Seems to depend on the nearby lighting. When it's awful, it's... hard to play with, hah.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2022, 12:37:31 am »

I take it back, used the surge staff in an actual mission instead of the simulator and... sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks unchanged, and sometimes it's absolutely terrible and awful. Seems to depend on the nearby lighting. When it's awful, it's... hard to play with, hah.
What did you expect from the Warp?
When you die from Friendly Fire, do you get the Achievement "Saved by the Commissar"?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Bumping this for crafting update that just dropped.

Firstly, all crafting materials and currency are now shared between all characters. I don't know why it took this long to get a feature that the previous game had before this one was even conceived, but I'm glad it's here now. Very convenient with the new crafting stuff.

Second, crafting now allows you to change 2 things on each equipment piece, either 2 Blessings, 2 Perks, or 1 of each. Perks can simply be selected from the list, pay a small fee and it's yours. Blessings still require a sacrifice of another weapon, which can get pricey if you really want to maximize your gear.

The update also included some small changes to mission selection map, making high-difficulty mods less common in low-tier missions, and vice versa.

I went through all my characters, tested their weapons against different enemies in the Simulator, identified which enemies they were struggling against, then crafted new weapons with Perks to reinforce their strengths and weaknesses as needed. Burned my entire savings, but I'm looking forward to replenishing my various currencies using these new weapons in missions.

On another note, I took another pass at my Video Settings and got them to a better place. FXAA seems to have absolutely no effect in Darktide, so I had to turn it up to SMA and all the jaggies vanished with minimal performance hit. But increasing my LoD seemed to have the most profound effect, greatly reducing the movement-blur I was seeing before. I also turned the number of persistent corpses down to minimum, which takes a lot of immersion out of the game, but I consider is a worthwhile trade to not have tons of bodies on the ground with no idea which ones are dead and which ones are just waiting to stand back up and stab me in the back.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I confess I haven't played in months. I'll need to do some penance.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Yeah I jumped straight into a Maelstrom mission after several months of just not playing and uh we wiped.

To be fair we got pretty deep in, we were descending that one massive shanty shack cliff thing in the spire map and 5 mutants bumrushed us.  I got yote off the side but survived until the flood all came down to whoop me a second time.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The big Class Customization update arrived today!

I've only played around with 1 class so far, but my initial impression is that this update has been an overwhelming success at what it set out to do. There are now lots of options for tinkering with different class upgrades, and very distinctly different playstyles are possible as a result.

I'm currently toying with my Zealot in a knife-throwing and relic-wielding loadout. The relic is very clutch, granting my team temporary invulnerability and toughness regeneration; ideal for boss fights and burster/mutant rushes.
The knives worked great in the testing area, doing huge damage to unarmored specials and being fairly easy to sustain ammo. In actual games they feel a bit underwhelming. Guns can honestly do the same thing almost as well, and with less ammo concerns. I'm considering switching over to immolation grenades and seeing if that is any more useful to me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 07:07:22 pm by Folly »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Glad to hear the change went well. Does progression carry over from the old system?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to hear the change went well. Does progression carry over from the old system?

Yes, all progression is retained. You just need to redistribute your points in the new trees.

Though I honestly kinda wish they had done a reset of some sort, just so that we would have some way to progress again. For people already at max level and with all pursuits completed, this patch does not bring anything new for them to do beyond playing around with the new skills a bit. At best they might find that the new trees require a new type of weapon that will require them to farm resources and craft.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not played since launch week/month and my biggest complaint was the painfully long loading times for everything, even on an SSD. If they've fixed that then I'd be happy. I also think there was some monetized thing for upgrades? I can't remember, but that would be kind've dumb if it is and should just be patched out to keep the monetization to cosmetics.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2023, 09:58:00 am »

IIRC there was never any P2W. Mostly people were mad that they were rolling out paid cosmetics while the game was in such a shaky state. They kyboshed paid cosmetics for a while as they improved the game but I think they're back on track. They also added quite a few non-paid cosmetic unlocks.

I'll be playing tonight. It's been too long since I've purged the heretic.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:02:14 am by nenjin »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K Darktide. Despite the power of Chaos, the Imperium stands!
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2023, 02:41:20 pm »

The Ogryn's frag is fucking intense.  16m radius seems to work out to 'screen clear'.  Also if you build it right and get the right circumstances the psyker can become an infinite tesla coil.  It works really easy in the Meat Grinder testing thing, but it's a little iffy in actual games, at least on babymode Difficulty 3.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18