Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113

Author Topic: FEF: Solrise Academy IC: Chapter 4: The Truesilver Knight  (Read 78785 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: FEF: Solrise Academy IC: Chapter 4: The Truesilver Knight
« Reply #1665 on: February 13, 2023, 12:09:05 pm »

Lin frowns for a moment as she attempts to parse what exactly Arnett had just stammered at her. Her muscles were. . . nice? What did he mean by that?

"I suppose that'd an issue, yeah. You want a shield? Maybe a sturdy rapier? Chain hauberk?"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 03:37:02 am by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 17, 2023, 01:10:05 am »

Arnett

"It's yours now, so you can do what you want with it." Delwyn hadn't missed Arnett's talk about painting her, him framing her against the scenery, evaluating her with a trained eye. What was it she'd said that day she took his photo? Something about the artist becoming the art. She was more aware of the position of her own hands, one having moved again to cover up the torn part of her sleeve.

"I don't mind posing for you. But about Orrel..." Here the self-consciousness melted away as she took the opportunity to ask that had come out of nowhere. "How do you two get along?"

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 19, 2023, 04:25:10 pm »

Lin

"Hm, let me think..." Arnett mumbled for a moment, before... "I have a shield, and I'm not sure if I can wield a rapier... you said a hauberk? That's one of those things that fit on your body, right?... I could do that." Arnett temporarily forgets the word 'armor' for a moment.

Delwyn

"Thanks...!" Arnett happily pocketed the photograph, though he was somewhat happy to not look at his awkward (yet chipper) face anymore. "And... thanks, I'll try not to keep you stuck for too long. Oh, and Orrel..." Arnett pondered for a moment- making light humming noises, before he nodded. "Well, for Orrel, it's interesting because while he seems like the smart and dignified royalty-type, he's actually not that difficult to talk to. He's been kind of raised to be like a warrior, while I was more raised softly— kind of the contrast we got between our parents, really. But despite being a warrior at heart, he's a lot more casual than you'd think. Ultimately, I guess easier said than done to say not to worry, but it's easier when you talk to him, I'd think...!"

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1668 on: February 20, 2023, 05:56:12 am »

"I'll see what I can do for you. Nothing protects like a full suit of plate, but some chain should go a long way. I can probably dig up some spares to modify, unless you wanted a custom job? I've got a couple modified alloys to try, I'm looking for ways to decrease weight without affecting performance so I've been adjusting the blends to make them less dense. . ." She ducks away, still rambling about material science. It's probably the most words in sequence anyone has heard her say, except for those familiar with her in the forge.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 22, 2023, 03:37:27 am »

Arnett

"That's not exactly what I meant." But she couldn't expect Arnett to be a mind reader, not with how vague she'd been. "I'm not really looking to talk to him for a reason, I was asking, like, about you and him as brothers."
"Still, if that's how you see him... I guess I do get how you two get along."
"I don't even know that much about my own brother."

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 08, 2023, 12:03:40 am »

Lin

"Maybe not a full plate suit, I don't think I could even come close to walking around in that... chain though, maybe... like, the stuff I could just put over my apron, or under... probably under, I don't wanna get paint on it..." Arnett digs his shoe into the ground, feeling a little sheepish. He could tell Lin was very into armor— meanwhile he pretty much didn't have much of a clue of what it actually could look and feel like. "But... If you want me to try out custom alloy, I could give it a shot; less weight for me's probably best so I can keep carrying as much as I usually do...!"

Delwyn

"Oooooooh." Arnett went silent for a moment. Awkward, but at least he didn't feel like crawling into a hole and dying. That was progress, right? "Yeah, as brothers... We do get along pretty well. Really well, actually..." There's a moment where Arnett doesn't know whether he should approach the topic of Delwyn's brother, but... curiosity eventually gave in. After all, friends should be able to share, right? "...I... didn't know you had a brother. When was the last time you, um... saw him?"

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 08, 2023, 01:12:08 am »

Arnett

"That makes it sound like he doesn't even visit."
"..."
"I mean, he doesn't, but he's a lot older than I am, so... our lives don't really have reason to intersect. I see him a little less than I see my parents these days. So that's like," she said, mustering up her usual nonchalance, "maybe just at events." Like this tournament.

As Delwyn looped a strand of hair around her finger, feeling almost sheepish at having shifted the conversation to something so personal, she wondered if she was still supposed to be posing.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1672 on: March 08, 2023, 03:58:11 pm »

A large amount of clanking echoes from under a counter as Lin ducks down, including a concerning-sounding metallic bang followed by a word best not transcribed. She pops up after a moment and tosses a bundle of chain toward Arnett.
"Throw this on."
GM of Trespassers V2.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 08, 2023, 04:03:39 pm »

Orrel
"Lin has....well, I want to know if she feels welcome in 3-F."

Lin
"Sure. I have to train all the time. My Arte...well, requires it, really. It's kinda difficult to control, so you have to have fine coordination. Training helps that. I'd be happy to train you."

Ricardo
At the sound of Ricardo's voice, the female voice shrieks, a loud crash sounds and the music stops playing. Wuh-oh.

Delwyn
Jack shakes his head.
"No! We were checking on the puppies Max was raising in here for him before this thing lost his mind and started nipping at us! The hell?!"

Just then, you remember something essential about griffons. They are very perceptive animals, and subsequently, very paranoid; when in the presence of those with bad intentions, they become restless. While Jack and Nick might be telling the truth about not doing anything, there is definitely someone in here with bad intentions.

Kruger
The Matagot's tail swishes.
"So Lord Wallhaim is indeed a man of culture, as my lady would put it."

Aurorix

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 11, 2023, 06:07:34 pm »

"... I'm beginning to feel being part of either a prank or a conspiracy, and I detest both. Madam Astrea von Celeste, by the honor of a Solrise student and the honor of your bloodline, you are an avid reader of this series of illustrated novels, are you not?"

Kruger looked clearly agitated by all of this, despite him showing constraint by not raising his voice further than necessary. It was still a library after all. His facial features softened soon afterwards though.

"... ... Apologies. I was not honest with the reason I've taken a copy of the novel myself in the first place. You have your reasons for your deception, as I have mine for mine."
"Know however that the wellbeing of my course mates is close to my heart. Whatever ails you, my ears are willing to listen. Whatever secret you entrust me, I shall carry to the grave and no further."
"As a token of trust, and to amend my misbehaviour, I shall tell you this much: I have not read a single issue of Pretty Pretty Spark Kanade. And yet I have a special connection to the titular character. That is why I reacted so fondly to seeing said character again. So, if you are a fan of Pretty Pretty Spark Kanade..."
"... then you must be a wonderful and strong person. What kind of person would otherwise read these novels?"

Kruger nodded, touched his scarf for the fraction of a second and then waved goodbye.

"Most joyous reading, Astrea."

A giant weight of guilt began to form in the pegasus rider's chest as Kruger quickly figures her out. She's... so bad at hiding things...

"W-wait!" Astrea grabs Kruger's as he turns to leave, "It's just, I'm worried of what'll happen if people found out that I'm still into these books... especially my parents. But ummm..." She's unable to maintain eye... well face contact with Kruger, "It... means a lot to me what you said earlier. I'm... sorry for trying to deceive you. I... I will enjoy this book." She gives a small courtesy before turning around herself.

The Matagot's tail swishes.
"So Lord Wallhaim is indeed a man of culture, as my lady would put it."

"Heh, yea... I guess he IS a man of culture isn't he..." She takes a copy of the latest issue and leaves it for Matagot before heading for checkout.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 12, 2023, 09:12:52 am »

Before he could even say a word after that shriek, those other noises made him shudder. Oh dear.
"Madame...? Are you okay?"

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 16, 2023, 01:29:50 pm »

Delwyn

"...Er... erhem." Arnett nervously coughed after he realized the implications of what he said, but Delwyn managed to steer the conversation back to a talking one. "...Yeah, that makes sense. I dunno, I guess I just get... sensitive about not seeing family. Er— well, that is to say, I just... well, had to pick and choose parents for most of my life... and now I..." A lump formed in his throat, as Arnett found it hard to make eye contact. He instead looked down at his sketchbook, his source of comfort— one which... had very basic sketch lines and no features.

"Ack-" Arnett shook his head and moved his pencil again. "Sorry, I guess gravity finally caught up with me, ahah... just as long as your family still, um, loves each other?" Arnett couldn't stop the words from leaving his throat once he realized he'd like to have worded them better, yet...

Lin

When Lin tosses the chain at Arnett, he makes a sudden honking noise not dissimilar to the waterfowl that him and his brother appeared to be humanoid versions of.

"H-heavy- wait, not that heavy? Uh-" Arnett holds the chain bundles a little higher, in an almost look of triumph. Maybe he had gotten stronger physically and hadn't realized it? "H-huh, it's not that bad. Uh... okay, how do I do this, uh..." Arnett has to take a minute to figure out where everything goes, before he ends up in a T-stance of chain. "This... this okay?"

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 20, 2023, 03:52:31 am »

Nick and Jack

"If it wasn't you, then you're saying we need to pin this on someone else." Delwyn crossed her arms, affecting as much sternness as she could. She didn't want to be in the middle of this, but letting whoever had bad intentions around here have their way seemed like even more trouble.
"You didn't leave those puppies by themselves, did you?"

Arnett

"It's not hate. I'm just not the favorite child, so we don't always get along - I mean, I don't always try to get along with my parents. I don't know about the other way around, or how my brother sees it."
"It's been bothering me, wondering if he might be watching at the tournament, or what he might be thinking... but maybe it's not so serious after all." Like she'd told Andreas that one time, she didn't care much about what others thought. It only felt different when it came to her brother, now that she'd realized it while saying all of this out loud. Now that she could admit it.
"... Sorry for bringing this up when we're just supposed to be hanging out." Though her words were spoken as casually as ever, there was a certain softness in Delwyn's gaze when it returned to Arnett.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1678 on: March 21, 2023, 06:17:10 am »

"Yeah, that looks alright. A little big but I expected that. Chain'll restrict your movement more than plate like mine but it's a lot less effort to put on and wear around. And make. There's not much like full plate, but if you wanted that I'd need a few months and all your measurements. It'd feel better to move in, though."
GM of Trespassers V2.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 29, 2023, 05:21:50 pm »

Delwyn

Arnett is a surprisingly good listener even while he's drawing. There was a therapeutic quality to him— instead of jotting notes down about Delwyn, however, he just continued to draw out all of her features and add life to the paper that was just a blank slate. He listened, and listened— only chiming in when Delwyn apologized.

"H-hey, it's okay, I don't mind listening. If he is watching... then I'm sure he's gotta be proud- we're all working hard and I know we're gonna win this next round! I promise I'll back you up too," Arnett says with a little flash of a smile. His gaze still flitted down to the sketch every so often, but he was getting better at eye contact nonetheless. "But... it's okay if you just wanna win this for yourself too and not for anyone else. I, uh... gotta learn that independence myself."

Lin

Arnett immediately found the mental image of himself in full plate armor. Even though chain felt like it'd feel more restricting, full plate armor felt like it'd look tremendously silly on him. But, as Arnett held the chain...

"...Hey, question. Um... I like the idea of chain for me, but... you know my Imago, the thingy I summon into battle with paint?... Do you think that could possibly have armor fitted for it? I could also just have him stand around for you to take measurements on... um, that's not an immediate concern though— I'd have to put the armor on him beforehand and having him out takes a toll on me, so I need to get better at that first..."
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113